News | Five mosquito myths (no, they can't transmit COVID-19)
Mosquitoes don't transmit the COVID-19 virus. But they do bite and annoy. Find out what mosquito control methods are myths and what to try instead.
Columns | Traffic is way down because of COVID-19, but fatal crash numbers are similar to 2019Why is the number of fatal crashes occurring in 2020 similar to 2019 despite COVID-19 clearing the highways this spring?
News | Arlington Heights park that hosts Frontier Days will get $1.35M upgradeArlington Heights' second-oldest and most centrally-located park is about to get a major makeover. Recreation Park, the site of the annual Frontier Days festival and home to the park district's premier baseball diamond, will soon be on the receiving end of some $1.35 million in upgrades.
News | Wauconda beach seen in 'The Blues Brothers' to reopen after 30 yearsAfter a lengthy wait prolonged by the COVID-19 crisis, Wauconda's Phil's Beach is set to reopen to the public Wednesday.
White Sox | Two White Sox players test positive for coronavirusThe White Sox on Sunday announced two players tested positive for COVID-19. Both are asymptomatic and isolating in Chicago.
News | Palatine police officer ID'd as man who drowned in Petite LakeLake County authorities confirmed Sunday that the man who died Friday after being pulled from the Chain O' Lakes was a Palatine police officer.
Politics | Duckworth emerges as contender for VP nodSources close to the Biden campaign say that Sen. Tammy Duckworth is a top contender to be his running mate.
News | July 5 COVID-19 cases per county; search by ZIP codeSince the outbreak began, there have been 75,160 cases in the suburbs as of Sunday, 51% of the state's total, according to the Illinois Department of Public Health as of Saturday. There have been 3,583 deaths in the suburbs, representing 51% of all deaths in Illinois.
Illinois | Six additional COVID-19 deaths Sunday, smallest daily total since MarchState health authorities reported 639 additional confirmed cases of COVID-19 on Sunday, along with six more deaths from the virus.
Columns | Feder: NBC 5 apologizes for mixing up Aurora Police Departments in storyWMAQ-Channel 5 is taking the rap for a story posted briefly online that misidentified the police chief of Aurora as her counterpart in Aurora, Colorado.
News | 'Art of Inclusion' committee forms in NapervilleIt began with an online petition seeking to diversify a mural in downtown Naperville, and now it's grown into a committee of diverse residents aiming to create new public art.
News | Geneva to consider land donation for affordable housingThe potential donation of a city-owned property could be the first step toward securing a new affordable housing development in Geneva.
- 7:31 AM2020 Watch: Has Trump surrendered to the coronavirus?
- 7:31 AMTrump to hold outdoor campaign rally in Portsmouth, New Hampshire
- 7:31 AM1 ad, 3 accents: How Democrats aim to win Latino votes
- 7:28 AMUber buys Postmates in $2.65 billion all-stock deal
- 7:25 AMTrump-connected lobbyists reap windfall in COVID-19 boom
More Suburban News Find your community
- AuroraAurora ready to reopen city hall
- Lake CountyLake County offering small business assistance grant
- East DundeeRoute 72 bridge work begins July 9 in Dundee
- Vernon HillsVernon Hills teen gets patriotic escort to Marine induction
- Lake Villa'It makes history real': Revolutionary War soldier's grave inspires Mount Rest Cemetery revitalization
- NewsA line of cars joins re-imagined Fourth of July parade in Arlington Heights
- NewsNo injuries reported after Oakwood Hills fire
- GurneeMan dead, woman wounded in Gurnee
- NapervilleMeet the DuPage employee behind the website honoring fallen veterans
- Lake VillaRound Lake Beach man dies after being pulled from lake
- BataviaBatavia VFW Post draws 100 to a social-distancing July 4 mini-parade
- Buffalo GroveConstable: Pandemic closes theaters, but suburban group's online show (and charity) go on
- 6:55 PMHow well do you know U.S. history and Fourth of July trivia? Take our quiz
- 6:55 PMNot just 1776: How other 4th of Julys shaped our history
- 6:48 PMLocal spots named after Revolutionary War figures
- 6:49 PMDuPage County COVID-19 testing site and health department offices closed to observe Independence Day
- 6:13 PMAltrusa Elgin expands Chews to Read donations
- 5:29 PMBatavia's Water Street Studios offers creative online camps
- 2:24 PMItasca Waterpark opens for the summer
- 2:12 PMSt. Charles resident to challenge Wheeler in 50th State House race
Through the Film Magnifier: Doug Buffone, Cloris Leachman, draft registration, aerobics class and more
Inside Daily Herald