Special Report | Why Dist. 214 might hire a lobbyist over proposed change to taxing authority for Bears project
Northwest Suburban High School District 214 board members aim to hire a lobbyist next week to represent the district's interests in Springfield amid legislation that might curb public schools' taxing authority over any new development by the Chicago Bears at Arlington Park.
News | Woman dies crossing Wolf Road after being struck by two vehiclesWheeling police are investigating the death of a 53-year-old Wheeling woman fatally struck by two vehicles as she was crossing Wolf Road near Manchester Drive Thursday night.
News | Illinois COVID-19 hospitalizations at lowest point in four monthsCOVID-19 hospitalizations in Illinois have dropped to their lowest point since the beginning of October.
Columns | 'Pinnacle of a career': New chief of Chicago FBI office says there's a lot to be doneMeet Robert W. "Wes" Wheeler Jr., the new special agent in charge of the FBI's Chicago field office. "The capacity for impactfulness is what appeals to me," he said about the posting.
Lifestyle | 'He was a sweetheart': Aurora zoo mourns death of Tonka the cougarTonka, a cougar who was a longtime favorite of visitors to Phillips Park Zoo in Aurora, has died.
Education | Unfilled classroom positions in Illinois reached a five-year high in 2022Illinois schools are still grappling with a teacher shortage that seems to be only getting worse, a recent survey by the Illinois Association of Regional Superintendents of Schools shows.
Business | Freddy's Frozen Custard & Steakburgers planning Naperville locationPlans are underway to bring a new Freddy's Frozen Custard & Steakburgers to High Grove Plaza on the east side of Route 59 in Naperville.
News | Archdiocese announces mergers of Schaumburg, Hoffman Estates parishesFour Catholic Parishes in Schaumburg and Hoffman Estates will be merged into two effective July 1, the Archdiocese of Chicago announced Thursday.
Business | Mexican eatery Hacienda Real to open in Geneva SundayMexican eatery and cocktail lounge Hacienda Real is set to open in Geneva Commons Sunday. The restaurant will offer a seasonally rotating menu of craft cocktails and Mexican entrées featuring contemporary takes on traditional family recipes.
Movies | Hasty Pudding fetes Naperville's Bob Odenkirk as its 2023 Man of the YearAward-winning actor and bestselling author Bob Odenkirk was feted Thursday as 2023 Man of the Year by Harvard University's Hasty Pudding Theatricals, which included a roast during which he donned a pink dress over his clothes.
Crime | Man gets 4½-year prison term for DUI crash that killed babyA man was sentenced to 4½ years in prison for a 2016 Barrington Hills crash that killed a baby.
Education | Pritzker seeks more info on AP African American studies courseGov. J.B. Pritzker this week asked the College Board for more information about its reasoning for changing the final framework of a new Advanced Placement course in African American studies after it had been criticized by Florida's Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis.
- 12:53 PMUkraine may also get old Leopard 1 tanks from German stocks
- 12:53 PMChinese balloon now over central US as Blinken cancels visit
- 12:53 PMBiden to promote administration wins in speech to Democrats
- 12:53 PMSorry, not sorry: Some 1/6 rioters change tune after apology
- 12:53 PMTexas power woes linger as deep freeze covers New England
More Suburban News Find your community
- ElginNo injuries in Elgin car wash fire
- Cook CountyCook County to allocate $16 million to support local climate plans
- GenevaMan gets 3½ years in prison for punching woman in Geneva bar
- HuntleyHuntley Historical Society to host fundraiser to help build a museum
- EducationCary-Grove Principal Lesinski named new Dist. 155 superintendent
- CrimeGlenview man charged in attempted kidnapping of student getting off bus
- PalatinePalatine winter brush collection begins Monday
- BarringtonBarrington-area economic summit set for Wednesday
- GurneeNeighbors in the news: ECC English professor wins Book of the Year for Indie Fiction
- SchaumburgSchaumburg Golf Club ranked among the top 50 of U.S. golf courses
- Girls' BasketballGirls basketball: Alyssa Hughes' free throws save St. Charles North in OT win over Lake Park
- Girls' BasketballGirls basketball: Libertyville gets measure of revenge in win over Maine South
- 11:18 AMHelp NINA find the next great high school student journalist
- 9:39 AMWatch Your Child 'Soar' at Rolling Meadows Park District Preschool
- 9:35 AMPalatine Jaycees Dare to Dream in 2023
- 9:30 AMMcCormick named Illinois Special Education Teacher of the Year
- 9:28 AMHear Daily Herald opinion editor Jim Slusher speak on election reform at free, online program
- 9:14 AMHarper College welcomes Fulbright Scholar in Residence
- 9:06 AMAyala named Cook County Co-Regional Teacher of the Year
- 3:42 PMMaine East, Maine South high schools take top honors at Student Silent Film Festival
Inside Daily Herald