Education | District 211 board says it needs more time on transgender locker room policy
Palatine-Schaumburg High School District 211 board members Thursday agreed that a proposed policy granting transgender students unrestricted access to locker rooms needed more time and details than would be possible for them to vote on at their next meeting on Oct. 17.
News | 'We want to save lives': Haymarket says it's proceeding with Itasca rehab center plans despite oppositionHaymarket Center officials are pushing forward with their bid to open an Itasca addiction treatment facility despite a resistance campaign that brought overflow crowds to what was supposed to be the first public hearing on the project.
Columns | How a new state law tackles rise in law enforcement suicidesThe rising number of suicides among law enforcement officers continues to trouble many, but a new state law that makes it easier for officers in need to seek help is providing some hope for those working to reverse the trend.
Columns | Rozner: With October in the air, Cubs lose tough oneAnthony Rizzo made a shocking return to the Cubs' lineup, but it wasn't enough as the Cards took Round 1 of what felt like a playoff series at Wrigley Field.
News | Stevenson High reserving parking spots for Earth-friendly carsLong recognized for environmentally friendly construction and operating strategies, Stevenson High School has further extended its planet-friendly philosophy to its parking lots.
Education | Crowd urges COD trustees to resolve contract disputeCollege of DuPage trustees are facing mounting pressure to approve a new contract with the Glen Ellyn-based school's full-time faculty members.
Lake County | City Works Eatery to open in Vernon HillsCity Works Eatery & Pour House will open its third suburban location on Oct. 14, at the Mellody Farm retail center in Vernon Hills.
Transportation | Inspector general finds plenty of blame to go around on tollway hiringIllinois tollway leaders said reforms are ongoing after a troubling report by the agency's inspector general that pointed out "collective mismanagement" involving political hiring, lapses in drug testing and other irregularities.
Lake County | Lake County drops murder charges against Chicago teens in fatal car burglaryLake County State's Attorney Michael Nerheim dropped controversial murder charges Thursday against five Chicago teenagers whose accomplice was shot and killed during an attempted car burglary near Old Mill Creek last month.
Kane County | Sheriff: Home invasion, rape suspect attacked guards with weapon made from golf pencilsThe suspect in an April Sleepy Hollow home invasion, sexual assault and attempted murder case faces new charges for attacking two jail guards with a weapon made out of small pencils used to keep score for golf.
News | Krishnamoorthi, Durbin launch caucus to end youth vapingLawmakers Thursday launched a bipartisan Congressional Caucus to End the Youth Vaping Epidemic, co-chaired by U.S. Reps. Raja Krishnamoorthi, a Schaumburg Democrat, and Peter King, a New York Republican, and Democratic U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin of Illinois.
News | Global warming's effects: How exactly ice melt and the rising seas workOf all the consequences of a warming world, the idea that our oceans would rise is, on its face, one of the easiest to understand -- and maybe the most terrifying.
- 6:24 AMKuwait raises security levels at ports amid Mideast tensions
- 6:19 AMMusic starts for Earthlings around Area 51 events in Nevada
- 5:44 AMZimbabwe doctor is found alive after alleged abduction
- 5:29 AMImelda leaves 2 dead in Texas, others stranded and trapped
- 5:22 AMOfficer who worked at school charged with child seduction
More Suburban News Find your community
- ElginElgin, Dundee townships to ask voters for mental health funding
- McHenry CountyDrunken driver sentenced to 6 years for fatal McHenry crash
- PalatineVolunteers provide a 'life-changing' makeover for Palatine group home
- WheatonDuPage Care Center ready to celebrate Fall Festival
- PalatinePalatine police release images of arson suspect
- GenevaLongtime St. Charles hangout sees major renovations
- NapervilleThe stepsister of Anne Frank is coming to Naperville. Here's how you can hear her story.
- Prep FootballBatavia's line play improving every week
- ItascaPanel: Businesses need to step up to prevent workplace violence
- Prep SportsGirls volleyball: Fremd grabs first in MSL West
- Prep FootballMahoney-Hickey connection a dangerous one for St. Viator
- Prep SportsGirls golf: Barrington rises to the top again
- 10:22 PMCelebrate life and legacy of Leon Lederman Sept. 25 in Chicago
- 9:45 PMLeague of Women Voters of Roselle/Bloomingdale to host wine tasting fundraiser Oct. 8
- 9:23 PMPlan for traffic detours for Geneva Homecoming Parade Sept. 27
- 9:12 PMRenz Center recognizes 20th anniversary of National Recovery Month
- 8:14 PMOrthodontic Experts launches the 2019 Braces Giveaway Campaign
- 8:11 PMNicor Gas Vice President Christa Markgraff among 'HERoes 100 Women Executives List'
- 7:47 PMWoodridge's Prince of Peace to install Pastor Tim Seitz Sept. 29
- 6:26 PMWest Chicago mayor visits Currier School to encourage healthy eating and increased movement
Inside Daily Herald