Politics | COVID-19 deaths, hospitalizations more than doubled in November
COVID-19 deaths, hospitalizations more than doubled in November as officials anticipate vaccine may arrive in late December.
Politics | Willis breaks ranks with MadiganThe chair of the House Democratic Caucus said Tuesday she won't vote for Michael Madigan to retain the speaker's gavel, making her the 19th House Democrat -- and the first member of party leadership -- to break ranks with the besieged veteran legislative leader. State Rep. Kathleen Willis, of Addison, said in a statement to her fellow Democratic legislators that she made the decision to oppose Madigan's bid to be speaker in the next General Assembly after "a lot of thought and discussion with my family."
Crime | A T-shirt can help Koda fight crimeCampton Hills police officer James Levand is raising money to support his dog Koda and to purchase a new K-9 vehicle.
Lake County | Truck driver killed in rollover crash near AntiochA 72-year-old man was killed Monday when the semitrailer truck he was driving veered off Route 173 in northern Lake County and rolled over, spilling tons of granular sludge.
Business | Holly Days brings focus to downtown Elgin businessesThe Downtown Neighborhood Association of Elgin has launched a monthlong campaing called Holly Days to help bring awareness to downtown small businesses during the holiday season.
Cook County | Cook County homicides top 900 mark in 2020: What's happened in Northwest suburbsCook County has recorded 902 homicides this year, marking the first time since 2016 and just the second time in nearly a quarter-century that the 900 mark has been reached. A handful of those cases were in the Northwest suburbs.
Politics | Barr: No evidence of fraud that would change election outcomeAttorney General William Barr said Tuesday the Justice Department has not uncovered evidence of widespread voter fraud that would change the outcome of the 2020 presidential election.
News | DeKalb County man dies in crash after swerving to avoid deer near HampshireA Cortland man died after a single-vehicle crash near Hampshire Saturday in which he apparently swerved to avoid a deer.
News | George Johnson, one of Elk Grove's pioneers and the mayor's father, diesOne of Elk Grove Village's pioneers -- the father of longtime Mayor Craig Johnson -- is being remembered as a dedicated volunteer, passionate business owner and strong family man.
White Sox | La Russa's coaching staff is setThe White Sox announced their 2021 coaching staff under new manager Tony La Russa on Tuesday. Miguel Cairo is bench coach and another newcomer, Ethan Katz, replaces Don Cooper as pitching coach.
Dining | Dining events: Virtual pop-up Chef Bill Kim's Pizza & Parm Shop debuts in Oak BrookNew virtual restaurant Chef Bill Kim's Pizza & Parm Shop opens Wednesday, Dec. 2, in Oak Brook. Also on the dining scene: Di Pescara serves up a new Supper Club dinner to-go, CityGate Grille offers a free app to anyone wearing an ugly holiday sweater while eating on the heated patio, and Seasons 52 intros the new The Green Box meal deal.
Columns | Constable: Even marathoners have hit pandemic wall, but they press onEven a hall of fame long-distance swimmer and a guy who ran seven marathons in seven days struggle with the challenges caused by this pandemic.
Education | Barrington school librarian gets creative to deliver books to kidsIf students can't go to the library, the library will go to the students. That was the thinking of Taryn Parise, a teacher librarian at Hough Street Elementary in Barrington, who about two weeks ago started a "mini bookmobile" of sorts.
More Suburban News Find your community
- Cook CountyIris Martinez sworn in as first Latina Cook County circuit clerk
- NapervilleState police: Naperville woman crashed into patrol car late Sunday night
- ItascaStan's Donuts considering move to Itasca
- Cook CountyCook County traffic court held remotely as COVID-19 precaution
- DuPage CountyDuPage County awards grants in response to opioid crisis
- WheelingFormer TGI Fridays in Wheeling could become a recreational marijuana shop
- MundeleinNo injuries in Mundelein-area garage fire
- Prep SportsGeneva grad Young finds right sport, races around the world
- SchaumburgWisconsin man arrested on gun charge following Schaumburg protest
- NewsArlington Heights to host virtual town hall on diversity Thursday
- CrimeElgin-area couple fall prey to ruse burglars
- St. CharlesWard appointed St. Charles Park District commissioner
- 3:39 PMHeritage Day ends Lake Forest school's in-person learning for 2020
- 3:39 PMVernon Hills' Learning Resources Spreads Cheer On Giving Tuesday With $70,000 Educational Toy Donation To Toys For Tots
- 12:57 PMSee Elgin's Festival of Lights Dec. 5-27 in Festival Park
- 12:38 PMEmpty Bowls for Food: A wood-turning fundraiser for local food pantries Dec. 5
- 12:16 PMVolunteers to honor veterans buried at Lisle Cemetery Dec. 5
- 10:30 AMDAR chapter needs volunteers to help honor veterans
- 10:30 AMRaymond Auto Group donates cargo van to Open Arms Mission
- 9:04 AMSchaumburg Library Invites Kids to 'Internet Awesome'
Christmas lights, Christmas trees and Christmas events take center stage in The Week in Pictures photo gallery for November 21-27, 2020.
Testing lines, Santa visits, great weather golfing and turkey giveaways are in The Week in Pictures photo gallery for November 7-20, 2020.
Inside Daily Herald