Special Report | A united lobbying front: District 214 hopes to partner with 211, 15 over potential tax breaks
Northwest Suburban High School District 214 officials hope they can partner with two neighboring school districts if they hire a lobbyist Thursday to address controversial state legislation that could change their taxing authority for the proposed Bears project at Arlington Park.
Politics | How much did your congressional representative get from special interests?Democratic U.S. Rep. Brad Schneider collected more campaign cash from special interest groups during the 2022 election cycle than any of the other representatives serving the North, West or Northwest suburbs, new federal records show. Here's how much other congressmen representing the suburbs collected.
News | Woman dies crossing Wolf Road after being struck by two vehiclesWheeling police are investigating the death of a 53-year-old Wheeling woman fatally struck by two vehicles as she was crossing Wolf Road near Manchester Drive Thursday night.
News | Illinois COVID-19 hospitalizations at lowest point in four monthsCOVID-19 hospitalizations in Illinois have dropped to their lowest point since the beginning of October.
Lifestyle | 'He was a sweetheart': Aurora zoo mourns death of Tonka the cougarTonka, a cougar who was a longtime favorite of visitors to Phillips Park Zoo in Aurora, has died.
News | Naperville man charged with felony after sexual assault at Lisle athletic clubA Naperville man was charged with predatory criminal sexual assault involving a child at Central Park Athletic Club in Lisle.
News | Head-on crash kills one driver near Lake VillaOne person was killed and another critically injured in a two-car collision near Lake Villa on Friday night.
Transportation | $5M grant aimed at reversing 'crisis on our roadways'As concerns mount over a post-pandemic spike in crashes, the Chicago region this week received a $5 million grant aimed at making streets safer for pedestrians and cyclists.
News | SUV crashes into Bloomingdale bank, severing gas line and causing a fireAn SUV crashed into a Chase Bank in Bloomingdale Friday, severing a gas main and causing an explosion and fire that lasted for hours.
Crime | Former president of Elmhurst church charged with stealing from donationsA former president of St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church in Elmhurst has been accused of stealing from its donations.
Crime | Man gets 67 years for trying to kill ex's new boyfriend in AuroraA man who tried to kill his ex-girlfriend's new boyfriend was sentenced Friday to 67 years in prison.
News | Nancy Joanne Czarnik, longtime Elk Grove Village trustee, lived life with gustoLongtime Elk Grove Village trustee Nancy Czarnik, who retired in November 2021 after 32 years on the village board, died Sunday at age 81. An avid reader, world traveler and bridge player, Czarnik was an Elk Grove icon, said Mayor Craig Johnson.
Bulls | Lisle native Walker finds her range at Eastern KentuckyLisle native Antwainette Walker, a Wheaton St. Francis grad, was named one of 10 finalists for the Ann Meyers Drysdale Award, given to the best shooting guard in women's college basketball. Walker is averaging 20.9 points and 9.7 rebounds at Eastern Kentucky this season.
- 7:22 AMPope encourages South Sudanese, will raise plight of women
- 7:22 AMChina plays down Blinken's canceled visit over balloon
- 7:07 AMIsraeli army besieges homes of fugitives in West Bank raid
- 7:06 AMTribes, researchers debate final fate of P-22, famed LA puma
- 7:06 AMDozens of soldiers freed in Russia-Ukraine prisoner swap
More Suburban News Find your community
- SchaumburgPolice: Two in custody after fight at Schaumburg Convention Center
- LakemoorApproval sought in Lakemoor for village's first marijuana dispensary
- CrimeElmhurst man pleads guilty to having child pornography
- LibertyvilleOfficials shed light on death of woman whose body was found near Libertyville street
- Prospect HeightsProspect Heights Ward 1 candidates forum set for Feb. 15
- South ElginSouth Elgin man sentenced in DUI crash that injured two
- Boys' BasketballSt. Viator wins wild triple OT game at Carmel
- Boys' BasketballLarkin withstands Elgin's furious comeback
- Boys' BasketballPalatine clinches 1st outright MSL West title since 1996
- Girls' BasketballBarrington beats Warren behind Swanson's 39
- Boys' BasketballBatavia gets its revenge at Geneva
- Boys' BasketballLePage's career-high 31 leads CL South over Huntley
- 12:52 AMApply for Elmhurst Area AAUW scholarships by April 15
- 12:38 AMPilobolus brings the exclusive Chicago engagement of its "Big Five Oh!" tour to the MAC Feb. 5
- 12:10 AMNicor Gas commits $250,000 to support National Energy Education Development Project's Energizing Student Potential initiative
- 12:01 AMDowners Grove's Oak Trace Senior Living hosts 'Hearts & Heroes' program for Valentine's Day
- 10:56 PMAurora University to host presidential historian in 'A Conversation with Doris Kearns Goodwin'
- 10:50 PMHuntley's inaugural Running of the Elves 5K a success
- 9:36 PMFoundation awards mini-grants to Villa Park Elementary District 45 staff
- 9:24 PMLeague of Women Voters of Central Kane County to host Feb. 16 candidate forum for Geneva races
Inside Daily Herald