Education | Mask-optional schools in suburbs reverse course, say they'll follow governor's mandate
Suburban school districts that had made face coverings optional for their students and employees backtracked Wednesday, saying they won't defy Gov. J.B. Pritzker's statewide mask mandate.
Politics | Pritzker mandates masks for schools, day cares, nursing homes, plus vaccines for some state workersGov. J.B. Pritzker on Wednesday announced a universal face mask mandate inside public and private schools as well as day cares to combat the highly infectious strain of the COVID-19 delta variant, and he issued vaccination rules for state workers. "Without these measures, we will likely see many more outbreaks."
News | Advocate Aurora Health to require vaccination for employeesAdvocate Aurora Health will require employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 by Oct. 15. The mandate affects about 75,000 people.
Politics | Illinois COVID-19 cases triple, vaccinations down by half in one monthIn just one month, new COVID-19 infections more than tripled, but vaccinations dropped nearly by half, Illinois Department of Public Health data showed.
Columns | Jim O'Donnell: Is Churchill Inc. planning a quick 'Meigs Field' on Arlington Park?Jim O'Donnell: Might it be a quick goodbye to Arlington Park on Sept. 25?
News | One teen dead, three others injured in Bartlett crashA 16-year-old boy was killed and three teens were injured in a one-car crash in Bartlett, authorities said Wednesday.
Crime | Authorities tight-lipped about Elburn baby's deathAuthorities remain tight-lipped about the death of 2-month-old Kasen Kaitharath of Elburn, who a medical examiner says died of injuries due to abuse.
News | Des Plaines officer who accidentally shot teen won't be prosecutedThe Cook County state's attorney's office has declined to prosecute a Des Plaines police officer who accidentally shot a teenager in 2019 at a Northwest Side music school.
Illinois | Will vaccine requirements to enter all businesses like in NYC happen here? What local leaders sayAs new cases of COVID-19 surge and hospitalizations spike, Illinois public health experts are watching New York City's move to require proof of vaccination for entering indoor restaurants and gyms, but there's no plan for local governments to replicate it, officials said.
Crime | Aurora teen killed in Chicago crash that family believes was attempted carjackingA 16-year-old girl from Aurora died after a crash in Chicago's Hermosa neighborhood Tuesday night, but her family does not believe it was an accident.
Politics | Dillard weighs third run for governorA former Republican state legislator and veteran of two past GOP gubernatorial administrations said Wednesday he's weighing a bid to join the field of candidates vying for the chance to unseat Democratic Gov. J.B. Pritzker.
News | District 45 school board ends face masks meeting without vote after reported physical altercationVilla Park District 45's school board meeting adjourned without a vote on mandatory face masks after heated debate turned into a reported physical altercation.
- 8:29 PMReport: Man blames voices in head for deadly shooting
- 8:04 PMFire destroys cabin of New Hampshire man forced out of woods
- 7:33 PM'Flower Drum Song' and screen star Alvin Ing dies at 89
- 7:30 PMMore DuPage County schools requiring students to mask up
- 6:49 PMOregon examines spyware investment amid controversy
More Suburban News Find your community
- Des PlainesArmed robberies reported outside Rivers Casino
- NapervilleNorth Central College appoints first chief diversity officer
- BloomingdalePaint the Parks exhibit set to showcase Bloomingdale parks, artists
- StreamwoodStreamwood splash pad remains closed for repairs
- LisleLisle man, 9 others charged in money order scheme
- St. CharlesSt. Charles library requiring masks for all visitors
- RoselleMaywood man gets 21 years in prison for Roselle armed robbery
- West ChicagoWest Chicago's Move with the Mayor returns
- St. CharlesSt. Charles aldermen favor new $205,000-a-year economic development director position
- NapervilleNaperville police to give college safety presentation
- DuPage CountyFree Six Flags tickets offered at COVID-19 clinic Saturday
- AlgonquinAlgonquin Commons adding Ashley Furniture, Barnes & Noble, Tap House Grill, X-Golf
- 5:16 PMGet free tickets to Six Flags Great America at West Suburban Community Pantry's vaccine clinic
- 3:01 PMDes Plaines Park Board appoints Eli Williams as new commissioner
- 2:54 PMNaperville Irish Fest to feature hurling tournament, Irish music and dancing Aug. 6-7
- 2:00 PMJoin cleanup efforts in North Chicago park
- 1:58 PMLincolnshire Rotary 5K race has biggest turnout yet
- 1:35 PMLocal League of Women Voters to celebrate 100 years with party Aug. 8
- 1:28 PMWheaton church to host 'Worship in the Park' Aug. 22
- 12:34 PMBartlett's Immanuel UCC celebrating 130 years with service on Aug. 15
Through the Film Magnifer, Walter Payton, Shadow Traffic, Danny Thomas at Woodfield Mall, Julia Child and more
Inside Daily Herald