News | Tornadoes confirmed in Lombard, Wheaton as derecho was 'significant' even for weather experts
Even among weather experts, the powerful storm known as a derecho that struck the suburbs Monday was something they won't soon forget. It even brought tornadoes to Lombard and Wheaton, and another one to Spring Grove, as well as Chicago city limits.
Crime | Aurora mayor backs civilian review board, body cameras for policeAurora should have a civilian review board to investigate complaints about police officers, and body cameras for police officers, the mayor said Tuesday. Mayor Richard Irvin recommended both ideas as the city council heard a 60-day status report on a group's police reform efforts.
Politics | Biden selects California Sen. Kamala Harris as running mateJoe Biden named California Sen. Kamala Harris as his running mate on Tuesday, making history by selecting the first Black woman to compete on a major party's presidential ticket and acknowledging the vital role Black voters will play in his bid to defeat President Donald Trump.
College Sports | Big Ten pulls plug on football, fall sportsThe Big Ten officially canceled fall sports Tuesday due to safety concerns regarding the COVID-19 virus.
News | Suburbs averaging 769 new COVID-19 cases a day, up from 403 a month agoThe suburbs are averaging 769 new COVID-19 cases each day. That's up from a daily average of 403 new cases a month ago.
Education | St. Charles District 303 to reopen schools in phasesSt. Charles Unit District 303 is rolling out a modified reopening plan that will send elementary and middle school students back to school in phases, while high schoolers will begin the academic year remotely.
Lake County | Only some Lake County employees face pay cuts through unpaid holidaysThree days that previously had been paid time off for Lake County government employees will be unpaid days this fall for a portion of the workforce.
Illinois | Aug. 11 COVID-19 cases per county; search by ZIP codeSince the outbreak began, there have been 95,948 cases in the suburbs as of Tuesday
News | Aurora meat plant sued after butcher's wife dies of COVID-19A lawsuit seeks damages for wrongful death after a longtime butcher at an Aurora meat packing plant caught COVID-19 and passed it to his wife, who died on May 2.
Crime | South Holland man reported dead in Hanover Park caseAfter the Cook County medical examiner's office reported a death after an incident on the 1300 block of Kingsbury Drive, Hanover Park police confirmed they are investigating a report that multiple shots were fired there Tuesday morning.
Politics | Democratic legislator from Glenview says Madigan should step downA Glenview legislator who has benefited from nearly $247,000 in contributions from House Speaker Michael Madigan is now calling for the beleaguered political powerhouse to step down, saying the legislature can't function below a cloud of "distractions, doubt or distrust."
Politics | Pritzker's mask rule survives legislative panel voteA legislative panel that oversees the state's administrative rulemaking process voted along partisan lines to allow Gov. J.B. Pritzker's emergency rule to enforce mask-wearing and other public health orders to move forward.
- 1:30 AMWind knocks down wall of fire-gutted historic Chicago church
- 1:24 AMUK economy officially in recession after 20.4% Q2 slump
- 1:18 AMChildren in Beirut suffer from trauma after deadly blast
- 1:06 AMPolitical novices drawn to anti-Netanyahu protests in Israel
- 12:51 AMShares mostly lower in Asia after retreat on Wall Street
More Suburban News Find your community
- ElginElgin bike shop looks to support all riders regardless of budget, skill
- DuPage CountyDuPage scraps plan for referendum on abolishing recorder's office
- VoloCoroner identifies man killed in Volo workplace accident
- Naperville7 residents safe after Naperville grill fire extends to house
- Kane CountyNinety more COVID-19 contact tracers ready to deploy in Kane County
- RosemontRosemont's first pot shop up for vote Wednesday
- Deer ParkFire causes estimated $200,000 in damage to Deer Park home
- RoselleRoselle residents to vote in spring on home rule
- NewsGlenview woman killed by vehicle in Maine Township
- Prospect HeightsEatery with Korean influence will replace Nikko's in Prospect Heights
- Prep SportsTennis may look different, but players look forward to teamwork and competiton
- Downers GroveDistrict 58 picks new administrator
- 7:27 PMPalatine Township and Lions Club to host shredding event Aug. 29
- 6:59 PMFort Payne DAR offers American History Essay Contest
- 6:56 PMPatients can now receive outpatient oncology care at Huntley hospital
- 5:22 PMItasca Bank & Trust Co. appoints Michael-Anne Peck as vice president and trust officer
- 5:07 PMBatavia Counselors' Collaboration launches #togetherWECAN Campaign
- 2:45 PMMurphy announces youth mentorship program at Schaumburg Township District Library
- 1:36 PMNaperville Park District hosts virtual open house on capital projects
- 1:33 PMAurora Central High to host benefit bags tournament Aug. 16
Inside Daily Herald