News | Geneva factory explosion prompts hazmat, OSHA response
Firefighters and a hazmat team responded Tuesday afternoon to an explosion and chemical fire at a factory in Geneva.
Education | 'Hello, Kate? It's Jill Biden': First lady invites Arlington Heights teen to State of the UnionRolling Meadows High School 10th-grader Kate Foley, who's specializing in computer-integrated manufacturing studies, is among 26 guests who will have a close-up view of President Joe Biden's speech, thanks to the first lady.
News | 164 high-end townhouses coming to Bell Works in Hoffman EstatesNearly five years after the redevelopment of Hoffman Estates' former AT&T corporate campus into the Bell Works Chicagoland "metroburb" was proposed, village board members on Monday approved 164 high-end townhouses to begin the project's long-promised residential component.
Commercial Real Estate | Accepting Spring Hill Mall's reality: West Dundee trustees OK a new tax district for itWest Dundee trustees on Monday night agreed to create a new tax increment financing district for Spring Hill Mall. The new TIF district will take in most of the mall and some surrounding areas.
Crime | Illinois' ban on semiautomatic weapons spurs challenges to legislative shortcutsFor all the fanfare and the legal rigmarole of Illinois' ban on semiautomatic weapons, it might come as a surprise to learn the legislation was titled "Insurance Code-Public Adjusters."
News | Chain O' Lakes is an ice fishing destination -- when the ice cooperatesWarm weather has left ice in McHenry County too thin for anglers for most of the winter so far. The peak ice-fishing season in northern Illinois is January and February. In a good year, there may be a week or two in December or even into March if the weather stays cold where the ice is strong enough to support both people and a shack.
Education | Arlington Heights approves first two expansions for full-day kindergarten in District 25The first set of Arlington Heights Elementary District 25 school building additions to allow for a new full-day kindergarten program earned approval from the village board Monday.
Crime | Park City pair accused of stealing mail across the regionA Cook County judge on Tuesday set bail at $10,000 each for two Park City residents accused of stealing mail across the region and other crimes.
Commercial Real Estate | Renovation approved for 40-year-old White Castle in Hoffman EstatesA 40-year-old White Castle in Hoffman Estates will be renovated inside and out this year, with a particular emphasis on expanding the capacity of the drive-through where business has been more concentrated since the pandemic.
Crime | Judge decides not to dismiss murder charges in 2021 Elmhurst stabbingA DuPage County judge on Tuesday denied a motion to dismiss murder charges against a Lombard man who claims he acted in self-defense.
Politics | Democrats call for state tax credit of up to $700 per childA group of Democratic lawmakers on Tuesday called for creating a state-level child tax credit that would give low- and middle-income families up to $700 per child each year in tax relief.
Politics | What to know ahead of Pritzker's budget proposalGov. J.B. Pritzker's second-term legislative agenda will kick off in earnest next week as he proposes his fifth annual state budget to lawmakers. The monthslong negotiating process involves dozens of budget hearings and behind-closed-doors meetings, eventually culminating in the budget's passage -- in normal years -- sometime before the end of the legislative session.
- 5:36 PMConstruction begins on new rowhomes in Warrenville
- 4:51 PMCause of factory fire still under investigation in Aurora
- 4:41 PMBell Flavors & Fragrances receives Legacy Award from Illinois Manufacturers' Association
- 4:24 PMTwo treated for smoke inhalation in Aurora fire
- 2:39 PMSuper Bowl gambling surging as states legalize it? You bet
More Suburban News Find your community
- Villa ParkVilla Park boy accused of threatening to shoot people at school
- Mount ProspectVigil in Mount Prospect for victims of earthquake in Turkey, Syria
- AuroraMan found guilty of raping woman, pushing pregnant teen who witnessed assault
- CrimeThieves steal nearly $13,000 in items from Arlington Hts. beauty store
- Des PlainesDes Plaines officials could go to court to forcibly purchase former bank
- Aurora15 people displaced by apartment fire in Aurora
- Villa ParkVilla Park village board candidate gets to stay on ballot
- EducationNew principal announced for Glenbard West High School
- Des PlainesParking garage no longer part of Des Plaines hotel plan
- Prep FootballElgin native Huxtable lands 1st NFL job
- AuroraCause of factory fire still under investigation in Aurora
- ManufacturingBell Flavors & Fragrances receives Legacy Award from Illinois Manufacturers' Association
- 2:16 PMOrphans' relaunches dog foster program
- 2:13 PMNSYMCA Receives $120K Grant from the Buehler Family Foundation for New Inclusive Equipment & Weight Room Floor Repairs
- 2:06 PMJoin Arlington Heights Historical Society for its Team Trivia night
- 1:47 PMSix new volunteer advocates join CASA Lake County
- 1:09 PMKane County extends deadline to apply for anti-smoking and vaping project funding
- 12:00 PMCheck out these discounts to Black History Month events from your library
- 11:58 AMPowered by Her Purpose: Cristo Rey Alumna and Waukegan Resident Receives Loyola University President's Medallion Award
- 11:10 AMOn Super Bowl weekend, spread the word: fans don't let fans drive drunk
Inside Daily Herald