News | Kobe Bryant's helicopter flew in fog that grounded other aircraft
Investigators worked Monday on a rugged hillside outside Los Angeles where a helicopter carrying Kobe Bryant and eight others crashed in foggy weather considered dangerous enough that local police departments had grounded their choppers.
News | 'I'm still in Auschwitz': Holocaust survivor remains haunted by memoriesSeventy-five years after Auschwitz-Birkenau prisoner Fritzie Fritzshall was liberated from the notorious Nazi death camp, the Buffalo Grove woman remains haunted by her experiences.
News | Naperville Bar Louie closure reflects 'chain-wide issue'Bar Louie in downtown Naperville has closed, one of a reported 38 locations of the gastropub chain to shut its doors in a bankruptcy filing, downtown business officials said.
Columns | Towns spending 33% of property taxes on pensionsOn average, suburbs are spending the equivalent of a third of the property taxes collected each year on pension costs. Municipal leaders say it's only going to grow because pension debt is growing as well.
News | Coronavirus patient remains in isolation at Hoffman Estates hospitalA Chicago woman diagnosed with the only confirmed case of coronavirus east of the Mississippi River in the U.S. remained in good condition Monday in isolation at Amita St. Alexius Medical Center in Hoffman Estates, officials said.
News | Ex-pastor stripped of authority, told to move after inappropriate material found on computerThe former longtime pastor of St. Zachary Parish in Des Plaines has been stripped of his authority to minister and told to move away from the parish after inappropriate material was found on his personal computer, Cardinal Blase Cupich wrote this weekend in a letter to the congregation.
Illinois | Helicopter carrying Kobe Bryant was once owned by state of IllinoisThe helicopter that crashed Sunday, killing nine people including Kobe Bryant, was once owned by the state of Illinois.
Transportation | 'Electrics strike back' at Chicago Auto Show, but will consumers bite?With Motown moving its car show to June, the Chicago Auto Show is getting a lot of R-E-S-P-E-C-T. Find out what it means to you.
Lake County | House fire near AntiochFire crews are on the scene of a house fire early Monday afternoon at an residence on the 42000 block Tiffany Road near the Tiffany Farms Road intersection near Antioch.
Columns | Feder: V103 moves 'The Sweat Hotel' to evenings; WGCI, Big 95.5 keeping it localKeith Sweat, the famed R&B recording artist and radio personality, is moving to the evening shift on iHeartMedia urban adult-contemporary WVAZ 102.7-FM, Robert Feder writes.
Politics | Ex-state Sen. Sandoval faces bribery, tax evasion chargesIn a two-page indictment released Monday, prosecutors said Martin Sandoval accepted money in exchange for continuing support for red light cameras in Illinois and opposing legislation "adverse to the interests of the red-light camera industry."
- 2:29 PMJustices allow enforcement of new green card rule
- 2:28 PMAlly of Venezuela's Maduro hires DC lobbyist to build ties
- 2:28 PMUS says mystery crash in Afghanistan was US Air Force plane
- 2:27 PMUS stocks tumble amid global sell-off; Dow falls 325
- 1:51 PMCalifornia man arrested in decades-old killings of five of his children, all infants.
More Suburban News Find your community
- BataviaMarklund's volunteers help staff, residents in making everyday life possible
- Aurora$100K bail for Aurora man charged with solication for murder
- NapervilleNaperville native realizes his Disney dream in design competition
- BataviaBatavia lawyer named Marklund's volunteer of the year
- Cook CountyMost Cook court clerk candidates want to clean house because of corruption
- Batavia$20,000 bond for man accused of tampering with Elburn house gas line
- AlgonquinTwo stores close, one opens in Algonquin Commons
- NapervilleNaperville cops probing second gas station robbery in 3 days
- Prep WrestlingBarrington nails down 50th annual MSL championship
- Girls' BasketballFremd goes 2-0 in in Louisville
- Girls' BasketballStevenson shakes off slow start to beat St. Viator
- Girls' BasketballWauconda's fourth-quarter rally stuns Carmel
- 12:18 PMU-46 school counselors to be honored with Accent on Achievement
- 10:30 AMAUTHOR ALBY LEE LEWIS SHARES STORY OF LIFELONG STRUGGLE WITH READING
- 10:25 AMFeb. 1: Registration deadline for study-abroad trips to Costa Rica, Ukraine
- 10:25 AMShiloh Park Elementary Receives Donations from Zion Women's Club
- 7:40 AMMurphy condemns salary hike for university president
- 7:33 AMLocal parks to receive over $950K in renovation grants
- 11:32 PMEighth annual Bridge Bust breaks records; local teams earn prizes in 2020 contest
- 12:53 PMMCC to induct former athletes into Hall of Fame
Inside Daily Herald