Crime | 2 teens out of hospital, no arrests yet as Gurnee police investigate Great America shooting
Gurnee police said no arrests have been made as of Monday afternoon regarding a shooting that injured three people Sunday evening in the parking lot outside Six Flags Great America theme park, but they said the two wounded teens who were treated are out of the hospital.
Crime | Naperville officer's killing of hatchet-wielding man ruled justifiedA Naperville police officer who shot a hatchet-wielding man to death in June was justified in doing so, DuPage County State's Attorney Robert Berlin has decided.
News | How an old corporate HQ became a natural habitat and solved a flooding problem in MundeleinA man-made stormwater basin in Mundelein has become a thriving habitat for birds, insects and other creatures.
News | 'Absolutely political theater': Naperville gun shop owner questions motives behind sales ban ordinanceIf the Naperville City Council bans the sale of certain high-powered weapons, the owner of Law Weapons and Supply insists he'll be forced to seek a court injunction or else go out of business.
Columns | Botched flight? New rules would ensure ticket refunds for cancellationsAfter a wretched summer of airline cancellations and delays, the U.S. government and Congress want to tweak rules to allow more ticket refunds. "I LOVE the idea as long as it really is what they say it is," one suburban traveler said.
Crime | Bail set at $500,000 for man charged in Lake in the Hills stabbingA 19-year-old man was being held in the McHenry County jail on $500,000 bail Monday after a stabbing in Lake in the Hills on Saturday.
Crime | Palatine police investigating after teen found shot outside businessPalatine police are investigating a shooting after finding a wounded teenager early Sunday morning outside a store on Rand Road.
Crime | Jury selection focuses on 2019 R. Kelly documentaryJury selection in R. Kelly's federal trial on charges that he rigged his 2008 state child pornography trial began Monday with the judge and attorneys quickly focusing on whether would-be jurors watched a 2019 documentary about sex abuse allegations against the R&B singer.
Columns | Nursing is an 'art form' for Round Lake caregiver selected as emerging leaderFrom a young age, Rocio Sanchez was inspired by the care nurses provided her mother when she was pregnant with one of her siblings, and later when a mass was found in one of her mother's kidneys. "The impact that a nurse has on people when they are in their most vulnerable state, it was what really catapulted me to want to pursue this profession," said Sanchez, of Round Lake, who was recognized with the National Association of Hispanic Nurses 40 Under 40 Award in July.
DuPage County | DuPage Habitat for Humanity helps make home ownership dream a realityDuPage Habitat for Humanity continues to help area families achieve home ownership.
Commercial Real Estate | 'A fresh start': How Bloomingdale re-imagines Stratford Square MallStratford Square Mall was once a bustling shopping destination and a cash cow, producing more than $20 million in sales tax revenue a decade ago. But that number quickly dwindled as department stores and other tenants closed shop. Fed up with the status quo, Bloomingdale leaders are re-imagining the future of the mall site.
Business | Illinois hemp farmers call market the 'Wild West': 'The sky is the limit'Growing hemp, a plant that was illegal in the U.S. for more than 70 years, is now akin to the Wild West, two northern Illinois farmers say.
- 12:20 AMRapper A$AP Rocky charged with felony assault with a firearm
- 11:24 PMRiver chief imprisoned for fishing fights for sacred rights
- 11:20 PMColumbia River's salmon are at the core of ancient religion
- 11:00 PMToday in History: August 16, Elvis Presley dies at 42
- 10:27 PMUN envoy travels to strife-torn Myanmar for the first time
More Suburban News Find your community
- Buffalo GroveSupervision for Buffalo Grove man accused of flashing gun at hospice staff
- SchaumburgSchaumburg crash sends one to hospital
- Kane CountyTwo seriously injured in collision near Big Rock
- PalatinePalatine's Scarecrows on Parade returning for Oktoberfest
- PalatineNew principal meets students at St. Thomas of Villanova in Palatine
- StreamwoodEnvironmental Resource Fair set for Aug. 27 in Streamwood
- GrayslakeGrayslake North's Johnson went full-circle with area coaching legend
- NapervilleNaperville Police Department accepting applications for Citizen Police Academy
- Prep FootballScouting the MSL East
- Prep FootballScouting the MSL West
- Mundelein"Whispers" theme of Mundelein short story contest
- McHenry CountyMcHenry County's child care availability reaching 'crisis' level as more teachers leave
- 7:13 PMAddison Center for the Arts to open Lewis Achenbach's 'Jazz Occurrence' exhibit Aug. 20
- 2:40 PMAurora District 131 breaks ground on Resilience Education Center
- 2:18 PMElburn Days celebrating 94th year with parade, live music, tractor pull and more Aug. 19-21
- 2:01 PMFoundation, partner award over $1 million to nonprofits
- 1:18 PMNorthwestern Medicine expands Mobile Stroke Unit coverage to Warrenville
- 12:19 PMFermilab needs artists, composers for artist-in-residence programs
- 11:47 AMBSA Troop 34 donates Lego sets to hospitalized kids through Bricks of Hope
- 10:45 AMHarper grad's long-term plan leads to aerospace career
Overhead volleyball, sychronized from jumping and 91 beagles fill The Week in Pictures photo gallery for August 8-14, 2022.
Inside Daily Herald