Crime | Highland Park survivors sue gunmaker Smith & Wesson after July 4 parade mass shooting
Survivors of the Highland Park Fourth of July shooting shared their experiences Wednesday afternoon during a news conference announcing lawsuits filed on their behalf against gunmaker Smith & Wesson.
Transportation | Freight railroad merger draws fiery comments on Day 1 of federal hearingSupporters and opponents of a merger between the Canadian Pacific and Kansas City Southern freight railroads laid out vastly diverging scenarios if the union is approved at a federal hearing Wednesday.
News | Ian makes landfall in southwest Florida as Category 4 stormHurricane Ian made landfall in southwest Florida near Cayo Costa on Wednesday as a catastrophic Category 4 storm. About 2.5 million people were ordered to evacuate southwest Florida before the storm hit the coast with maximum sustained winds of 150 mph.
News | Itasca firefighter with terminal cancer taken home to Crystal Lake in ambulance he staffedBattling a rare cancer since 2019, Frank Nunez was given an escort Tuesday to his Crystal Lake home by the Itasca firefighters he worked with every day.
News | Downtown Naperville celebrating completion of $4.9 million streetscape projectThe Downtown Naperville Alliance recently celebrated the completion of a major construction project in the heart of the city.
News | Des Plaines resident joining hurricane relief efforts in FloridaYasmin Clinton of Des Plaines will be heading to Florida this week as a volunteer with the Red Cross aiding in the efforts to succor victims of Hurricane Ian
News | How quick thinking (and flight magic) got reporter home before hurricane hit FloridaA Daily Herald reporter, vacationing at Lido Key off Sarasota, debated the question facing many Floridians as Hurricane Ian approached -- stay or go?
College Sports | Northwestern unveils plan for Ryan Field rebuildNorthwestern University's Ryan Field is slated to be demolished and replaced by a modern stadium that shifts the Evanston venue's footprint, reduces its capacity and sets it up to host concerts and other non-football events, according to a roughly $800 million plan approved last week by the university's board.
Crime | Elmhurst resident tips off police about Virginia bank robbery suspectElmhurst police have arrested a man wanted for bank robbery in Virginia, the Elmhurst Police Department said Wednesday.
DuPage County | Cronin's final budget plan avoids property tax increase in DuPageDuPage County Board Chairman Dan Cronin has unveiled a $586 million budget plan that boosts pay for employees, but doesn't raise property taxes, even though local governments in Illinois can seek a maximum 5% increase as a result of surging inflation.
Crime | Elgin man who is suspect in Huntley shooting captured in PennsylvaniaAn Elgin man who has been accused in a July shooting in Huntley that sent two men to the hospital has been apprehended in Pennsylvania, officials said on Wednesday.
Crime | Highland Park to relocate temporary memorial to Independence Day shooting victimsOut of concern for the mental health of residents, Highland Park city council members agreed Tuesday to relocate the art installation and memorial established to honor victims of the July Fourth mass shooting that left seven dead and dozens more injured.
- 2:52 AM4th leak reported on Nord Stream pipelines in Baltic Sea
- 1:52 AMUkrainian activist among winners of '˜Alternative Nobel'
- 1:38 AMTrial of elderly Rwanda genocide suspect opening at UN court
- 1:21 AMWelfare group reports severe breaches on Romanian fur farms
- 1:02 AMPeople trapped, 2M without power after Ian swamps SW Florida
More Suburban News Find your community
- WaucondaCrystal Lake man who stole $1 million from Wauconda employer sentenced
- SchaumburgPassenger injured when SUV crashes into tree in Schaumburg
- Lake CountyWhy Lake County has suspended process to find a public works chief
- BartlettParking affected during Bartlett Oktoberfest at Leiseberg Park
- GurneeGurnee trampoline park renovation to add bowling, arcade and booze
- Pingree GroveSchaumburg woman accused of shooting Pingree Grove home
- Cook CountyIs this Schiller Woods 'Fountain of Youth' magic? At the least, it brings people together
- Prep SportsBoys golf: Dykema, Wheaton Academy go low to win regional
- Prep SportsBoys golf: Batavia peaks at right time, wins regional
- Prep SportsBoys golf: Fremd's Newby continues red-hot play; Prospect takes team title
- Prep SportsBoys golf: Lessner leads Rolling Meadows to regional crown
- Prep SportsBoys golf: Marmion wins regional behind Konen's 71
- 8:11 PM'She Kills Monsters: Young Adventures Edition' comes to Wheaton North stage Oct. 13-15
- 2:08 PMGet a taste of local history at Cider Fest in McHenry County
- 1:31 PMAurora churches to partner for pet blessing Oct. 2
- 1:19 PMAurora rabbi joins other faith leaders in call for peace and progress
- 1:05 PMSt. Charles church to hold pet blessing Oct. 2
- 10:05 AMCollege of Lake County helps keep the public safe and informed this Cybersecurity Month
- 9:16 AMMaine East Department Chair Earns State Award
- 9:05 AMDistrict 23 plans community events to share details and seek input about Building a Better D23
Inside Daily Herald