Illinois | State launches mask campaign as 1,298 more infected with COVID-19
Gov. J.B. Pritzker announced a new $5 million awareness campaign urging residents to wear masks to slow the spread of coronavirus Monday.
Education | How schools are gearing up for an eventual return to classroomsHand sanitizer. Paper towels. Disinfectant spray. Plexiglass partitions. And personal protective equipment. Suburban school districts are stocking up on these essentials as they gear up for the start of in-person instruction next month.
Columns | The waiting is the hardest part at driver's facility, but it doesn't have to beWhat's up with the line of masked men and women outside the driver's license facility? Here's how to avoid the worst-case scenario.
Columns | Constable: This octogenarian goalie blocked shots from 2 Blackhawk legends, then finally retiredOctogenarian Ron Fedor of Mount Prospect achieved an athletic feat no one else can claim. As an amateur goalie, he's blocked shots from current Chicago Blackhawks star Patrick Kane and 1934 Stanley Cup hero Mush Marsh.
News | 'We owe it to them': Navy veteran finds new mission playing tapsAfter being laid off from his job in the electronics industry about 12 years ago, Navy veteran Jim Reynolds revisited his roots for a new sense of purpose.
News | Glenbard to start school year with all-remote learningGlenbard High School District 87 will start the new school year Aug. 17 with all-remote learning and push back plans for an in-person/hybrid model until Sept. 8, Superintendent David Larson told parents in a letter on Monday.
Crime | Ex-Glendale Heights administrator pleads guilty to DUIFormer Glendale Heights administrator Raquel Becerra has pleaded guilty to misdemeanor DUI.
News | Aug. 2 COVID-19 cases per county; search by ZIP codeSince the outbreak began, there have been 89,297 cases in the suburbs as of Sunday, 49.2% of the state's total, according to the Illinois Department of Public Health. Here's how it breaks down county by county.
News | Oak Brook Polo Club plays on in a very social, but distanced, orderThe Oak Brook Polo Club has removed its grandstands and asked spectators to tailgate to adhere to social distancing orders.
Columns | Feder: 'Chicago Tonight' adds weekend shows to amplify Black, Latino voicesStarting the weekend of September 12, Brandis Friedman will host "Chicago Tonight: Black Voices," at 6 p.m. Sundays. Hugo Balta, news director of WTTW, will host "Chicago Tonight: Latino Voices" at 6 p.m. Saturdays.
News | Libertyville musician busks for charity with 'Bassoons Filling Bellies'A Libertyville bassoonist and six friends are using their talents to help feed the hungry.
Business | Virus relief bill remains up in air as negotiations resumeSlow, grinding negotiations on a huge COVID-19 relief bill are set to resume Monday afternoon, but the path forward promises to be challenging and time is already growing short. Republicans are griping that House Speaker Nancy Pelosi won't drop her expansive wish list even as concerns are mounting that the White House needs to be more sure-footed in the negotiations.
Columns | Letter from the editor: Authorities might be silent, but we still seek detailsEarly in the morning on Saturday, June 27, something dramatic happened at a house on Picton Road in Roselle. More than a month later, we still don't know much about what it was. We know there was a shooting, that "multiple" people were injured and that one person died. We knew that much by the afternoon of the shooting. We published the basic information online then and on Page 3 of our Sunday, June 28, edition.
- 1:30 PMParents struggle as schools reopen amid coronavirus surge
- 1:28 PMGoogle buys $450M stake in ADT to give Nest a new perch
- 1:21 PM'If not now, when?': Black women seize political spotlight
- 1:01 PMVirgin Orbit determines cause of rocket launch failure
- 12:57 PMU.S. Marines ID all 9 people killed in sea-tank sinking
More Suburban News Find your community
- BensenvilleMetra plans crossing work in Bensenville
- Prospect HeightsBlood shortage leads to Arlington Heights collection effort
- Hoffman Estates$470,000 paved trail link in west Hoffman Estates officially opens
- Oak BrookOak Brook Polo Club plays on in a very social, but distanced, order
- NewsMundelein High board to talk budget
- WheatonA 90th birthday celebration, Norwegian-style
- East DundeeMotorcycle, car crash in East Dundee
- WaukeganWaukegan company hands out 50,000 face masks and hand sanitizer
- Mount ProspectMount Prospect hosts hazardous waste collections
- LisleLisle museum artifacts now online
- Vernon HillsBackpacks, crayons, chalk and kids make "Back-to-School Bash" a success
- NapervilleBarbering family moves into Naperville with newest shop
- 1:35 PMMundelein dentist does complete office remodel and other steps to ensure patient safety
- 1:16 PMFox River Valley Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution carries the 'Torch of Patriotism'
- 1:02 PMGet orders in by Aug. 7 for St. Charles Kiwanis' biggest fundraiser
- 10:17 AMWoodlands Academy collaboration creates robust new online offerings
- 8:38 AMMurphy announces major improvements to highways, intersections in Northwest Suburbs
- 8:35 AMIllinois American Water Reminds Customers about Customer Assistance Program and Payment Plans
- 8:30 PMAurora's Rosary School to host virtual town hall Aug. 5 on 'Safe School Plan 2020-21'
- 8:17 PMSt. Charles Unit District 303 offers update on first day of school
Inside Daily Herald