News | Q&A: What the first woman to be Morton Arboretum's CEO plans for its future
Jill Koski is taking on a new yet familiar role as president and CEO of the Morton Arboretum in Lisle.
News | $9.7 million sale will make downtown Arlington Heights building apartmentsA 40-unit condominium building in downtown Arlington Heights has been sold for $9.7 million in a deconversion deal that will make the five-story building apartments again.
News | Funerals are changing. One McHenry funeral home wants liquor license to adapt to those changesA McHenry funeral home would like the opportunity to serve alcohol during its memorials. It's a trend that started in Wheeling in 2015 when Kolssak Funeral Home became a "pioneer" in the practice of serving alcohol during funerals and wakes to keep up with the changing ways people are celebrating the death of loved ones.
Business | East Dundee poised to acquire shuttered Haeger Pottery building with hopes to redevelop siteEast Dundee officials are buying the former Haeger Pottery property with the hopes of reshaping what sits on that land.
Lifestyle | Hanukkah and hakhel: Jewish 'year of assembly' even more meaningful after pandemicHanukkah events this year also bring about the spirit of the Jewish tradition of assembly -- hakhel.
Business | Concerns raised over car wash proposed on site of former restaurant in St. CharlesA car wash being proposed on the site of a former Chili's restaurant on East Main Street in St. Charles is generating its share of opposition.
News | Demolition of Mount Prospect's former fire, police headquarters underwayDemolition crews are clawing away at the former Mount Prospect fire and police headquarters in the village's downtown, clearing the way for a new six-story residential building.
News | WNBA star Brittney Griner freed in U.S.-Russia prisoner swapRussia freed WNBA star Brittney Griner on Thursday in a dramatic prisoner exchange, as the U.S. released notorious Russian arms dealer Viktor Bout but failed to win freedom for another American, Paul Whelan, who has been jailed for nearly four years. The swap, at a time of heightened tensions over Ukraine, achieved a top goal for President Joe Biden but carried a heavy price.
News | Hey, Griswold, there's still time to enter the Daily Herald's holiday lights contestEntries in the Daily Herald's annual holiday lights contest will be accepted until noon Friday at events.dailyherald.com.
Prep Football | IHSA moves state football back to ISUThe Illinois High School Association board of directors approved a state final hosting contract Wednedsay with Illinois State University and the Bloomington-Normal Area Convention and Visitors Bureau to host the IHSA football state finals at ISU's Hancock Stadium from 2023 to 2027.
Crime | 'We got him': Former Wheeling resident wanted in teen's 2020 killing capturedA former Wheeling resident suspected of fatally shooting a Mundelein teen is in custody after a 2½-year international manhunt.
Cubs | Hoyer happy Cubs landed one of their targets in pitcher TaillonThe Cubs have reportedly agreed to a four-year, $68 million contract with free-agent starting pitcher Jameson Taillon. The right-hander was 14-5 with a 3.91 ERA for the Yankees this year.
News | 'I need ammunition, not a ride': Zelenskyy quip leads 2022 notable quote listA tart retort by Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy to a U.S. offer of help and a call by former U.S. President Donald Trump for the "termination" of parts of the Constitution top a Yale Law School librarian's list of the most notable quotations of 2022.
- 12:20 PMChicken Salad Chick opens in Batavia Tuesday; first location in the suburbs
- 10:29 AMIran executes first known prisoner arrested in protests
- 10:29 AMOn the money: Yellen's next milestone is name on US currency
- 10:29 AMBill protecting same-sex, interracial unions passes House
- 10:25 AMEnergy assistance funding available in Lake County
More Suburban News Find your community
- Des PlainesCarpentersville man arrested in $20,000 Des Plaines bank scam
- Cook CountyHow to fix a missing exemption on your Cook Co. tax bill
- NewsPedestrian killed in Westmont
- NapervillePolice: Naperville man found dead in Bolingbrook
- ElginLiving nativity at St. Paul's Church in Elgin Sunday
- Buffalo GroveFour more years for Bragg as Buffalo Grove village manager
- NewsDistrict 26 sells shuttered school building in Des Plaines for $3 million
- Buffalo GroveTown hall Dec. 15 in Buffalo Grove to focus on SAFE-T Act
- Mount ProspectCyclist hit by car in Mount Prospect
- NapervilleNaperville election candidates fighting to stay on ballot
- Lake CountyEnergy assistance funding available in Lake County
- Girls' GymnasticsGirls gymnastics: Scouting Fox and DuPage County
- 1:33 PMStay active this winter for a healthier you
- 1:29 PMHanover Township to distribute holiday meal boxes Dec. 15-23
- 9:46 AMSaint Viator announces Distinguished Alumni honorees
- 9:09 AMBring your pooch to inaugural Corks & Canine event
- 9:03 AMGamma Xi Chapter Foundation grants available for eligible high school senior women
- 8:23 AMDistrict 214 steps up to march with Mickey
- 8:10 PMFox River Valley Chapter DAR to honor all servicemembers laid to rest in Hampshire
- 7:53 PM'TreeCycle' community partnership keeps unsold Christmas trees from landfill
Inside Daily Herald