Cook County | Is this Schiller Woods 'Fountain of Youth' magic? At the least, it brings people together
While buzz about the Schiller Woods water pump just off Irving Park Road is often shrouded in mystery -- from rumors the water heals ailments to belief it's a secret ingredient in maintaining youth -- many people who regularly use the pump say there's nothing magical about it. For them, it's simply a natural source of water that brings people together.
Crime | Des Plaines police investigating abuse allegations against suburban priestDes Plaines police are investigating separate allegations of sexual misconduct levied against a priest who formerly worked in the city.
News | Passing fire inspector saves Des Plaines residents from burning homeFire inspector driving past a Des Plaines home spots smoke coming from roof and saves residents from house fire.
News | Itasca firefighter with terminal cancer taken home to Crystal Lake in ambulance he staffedBattling a rare cancer since 2019, Frank Nunez was given an escort Tuesday to his Crystal Lake home by the Itasca firefighters he worked with every day.
Education | State superintendent calls U-46's dual language program 'a beautiful thing'Illinois State Superintendent of Education Carmen Ayala dropped in on a few dual language classrooms at Elgin Area School District U-46 elementary schools Tuesday to see the nationally acclaimed program in action.
Transportation | Flight attendants protest at Midway, O'HareFlight attendants for two of Chicago's largest airlines protested at Midway and O'Hare airports on Tuesday, demanding new contracts that would provide better economic and working conditions.
Politics | Pritzker in Aurora advocates for gun reform as Bailey warns about Safe-T ActGov. J.B. Pritzker advocates for gun reform as violence survivors tell their stories in Aurora. His opponent, Darren Bailey, doubles down on warnings about the Safe-T Act.
News | 'One you could always call on': Longtime Aurora alderman, 58th mayor O'Connor rememberedA longtime alderman who served as Aurora's 58th mayor is being remembered as a dedicated public servant. Robert James O'Connor died at his home on Sept. 15.
Transportation | Metra billboard sparks grim interpretation on social mediaFor nearly three decades, millions of gridlocked motorists inching along the Ohio Street feeder ramp toward the Kennedy Expressway have glanced up to see a Metra billboard proclaiming: "Take the easy way out." The idea that anyone would associate the sign with suicide never entered the consciousness of the commuter rail agency.
Crime | Death by ex-pro skateboarder's punch was a tragedy but not a murder, defense saysDeath by single punch was 'unforeseeable tragedy,' not murder, a lawyer for former pro skateboarder Terry Kennedy says.
Politics | In 6th District race, Democrat Sean Casten and Republican Keith Pekau split on abortion rightsIn the 6th Congressional race, Democrat Sean Casten and Republican Keith Pekau differ on abortion rights.
Bears | Bear Down, Nerd Up: Herbert leads biggest rushing effort in nearly 40 years, but is team actually good?The 281 rushing yards the Bears ran for on Sunday marked the 14th highest total in franchise history. It was the highest total since the Bears ran for 283 yards against the Dallas Cowboys on Sept. 30, 1984. But does that mean the Bears are any good?
- 1:19 AMReport: Downtown Deerfield eligible for TIF district
- 1:15 AMIn court brief, Musk says the SEC is unlawfully muzzling him
- 1:14 AMCuba in the dark after hurricane knocks out power grid
- 1:10 AMAsian shares sharply lower after wobbly day on Wall Street
- 1:03 AMIran's anti-veil protests draw on long history of resistance
More Suburban News Find your community
- BartlettLaPorte appointed to fill Reinke's vacated Bartlett trustee seat
- CrimeSocial media threat leads to school lockdown in Beach Park
- Cook CountyMorrison, Cerniglia discuss need to expand Cook County mental health services
- Lake CountyLake County resident tests positive for West Nile virus
- PalatineWoman crashes into Cricket store in Palatine
- PalatineMan has medical emergency while driving in Palatine
- WaukeganPolice: Summit woman was driving drunk when she caused crash near Gurnee
- Prep SportsGirls volleyball / Top 20
- Prep SportsBoys soccer: Panthers put themselves in position to claim Glenbard Cup
- Prep SportsHerrera's goal puts Dundee-Crown ahead of Crystal Lake Central, 1-0
- Prep SportsO'Donoghue scores twice, Geneva beats Batavia
- Prep SportsRolon keeps St. Charles North out of the net, St. Charles East wins 1-0
- 12:38 AMLearn about monarch butterfly initiative at Izaak Walton League meeting Oct. 4
- 12:25 AMTree of Life and Live4Lali offer free Narcan training and kits Oct. 8
- 11:30 PMSt. Thomas the Apostle to host 'Compassionate Listening' skills workshop Oct. 13
- 11:22 PMNaperville church to host afternoon concert Oct. 2
- 11:04 PMWell Child Center celebrates 50 years of service with new logo, events, contests and fundraisers
- 10:38 PMElgin Area League of Women Voters to hold 3 candidate forums
- 10:10 PMShepherd of the Prairie Lutheran Church to install pastor Oct. 2
- 9:59 PMWoodstock Free Methodist Church welcomes 7 new members
Inside Daily Herald