Crime | Schaumburg man died from multiple gunshot wounds
A 56-year-old Schaumburg man found dead in his home Monday night suffered multiple gunshot wounds, the Cook County medical examiner's office reported after an autopsy Wednesday.
Crime | Chief: Investigation into Carpentersville officer-involved shooting just beginningOne day after a police-involved shooting that injured a man in Carpentersville, Chief Michael Kilbourne said the investigation is still in its infancy.
Lake County | Boil order includes Hawthorn Mall, Mellody Farm in Vernon HillsMore than 1,300 homes and businesses in the Vernon Hills and Mettawa areas north of Route 60 remain under a boil order that will continue until at least Thursday morning. The affected areas in Vernon Hills include two major shopping areas -- Hawthorn Mall and Mellody Farm.
Business | California Pizza Kitchen closing downtown Arlington Heights locationCalifornia Pizza Kitchen will close its downtown Arlington Heights location Sunday, officials said.
DuPage County | Itasca hotel eyed as future drug treatment facilityA Chicago-based nonprofit group that provides treatment for substance use disorders and mental health conditions has announced plans for a new behavioral health complex in Itasca that would support families in DuPage and other collar counties. Haymarket Center wants to buy a Holiday Inn hotel on the west side of I-290 and Irving Park Road and convert it into a roughly 200-bed facility.
Business | What will it take to revive Hawthorn Mall? Residents give feedbackThat a major transformation is needed to revive the 1970s-era Hawthorn Mall in Vernon Hills is undisputed, but the potential level of tax incentives to do that is an unknown that has some supporters wary.
Crime | DCFS ends investigation into Maryville's Smyth; archdiocese set to resume inquiryThe Illinois Department of Children and Family Services has formally closed its investigation into deceased Catholic priest John Smyth that now is expected to trigger the reopening of an internal investigation by the Archdiocese of Chicago on child sex abuse claims.
Crime | State's attorney: Bloomingdale officers justified in fatal shooting of Carol Stream manThree Bloomingdale police officers were justified in the April fatal shooting of a Carol Stream man who charged at one of them with a knife, DuPage County's top prosecutor announced Wednesday.
Business | Mount Prospect business shuts down amid 'burnt cheese' odor complaintsAn animal feed manufacturer in Mount Prospect's Kensington Business Center has shut down its operation in response to complaints about offensive odors.
News | Naperville seeking 'ample time' for recreational pot sales debateIt's time to listen and learn before deciding whether to permit or prohibit recreational marijuana sales in town, Naperville officials say.
Crime | 13% think driving while high on pot isn't risky, but AAA, police chiefs say otherwiseAs Illinois gets ready to legalize recreational pot, many Americans apparently have no qualms about smoking marijuana and getting behind the wheel, according to a report from AAA.
Crime | Prosecutors to appeal would-be bomber's sentenceFederal prosecutors are taking the unusual step of appealing the 16-year prison sentence handed last month to a Hillside man who in September 2012 tried to set off a 1,000-pound car bomb in the Loop, according to a notice filed Wednesday.
- 5:27 PMJudge says R. Kelly's lawyers have week to answer lawsuit
- 5:25 PMWhite House offers budget freeze if Dems don't agree to deal
- 5:24 PMCorrection: Phoenix Airport-TSA Officers Injured story
- 5:22 PMTop US trade official plans to meet Chinese counterpart
- 5:20 PMWitness: Navy SEAL called dead prisoner an 'ISIS dirt bag'
More Suburban News Find your community
- WheatonChristopher Zaruba recommended for vacant Wheaton City Council seat
- BarringtonBarrington manufacturer donates $1.3 million in gear, training to ECC
- ElginElgin man missing since Monday
- EducationDistrict 220 parents call new facility for special-needs transition program inadequate
- Hoffman EstatesDrive-through restaurant coming to Hoffman Plaza
- Island LakeIsland Lake Trustee Jennifer Villarreal resigns
- LakemoorLakemoor man sentenced to 6 years on child pornography charge
- AuroraMan charged with $279K Aurora business theft surrenders, settles lawsuit
- NapervilleDecision delayed on Little Friends land in Naperville
- SchaumburgPerson in custody after Schaumburg man found dead
- EducationDistrict 214 approves new five-year deal with teachers
- RosemontIf appointed to open legislative seat, Rosemont mayor says he would keep both positions
- 1:59 PMHeatherstone Park playground in Naperville is set to reopen
- 1:05 PMHealing Gardens to host 'Centering Prayer' workshop June 22
- 12:44 PMFriends of Geneva Public Library host Swedish Days Book Sale June 20-22
- 11:35 AMPark Ridge resident leaves giant impression at Oakton
- 11:09 AMAlzheimer's Association, Chicago White Sox team up for Major League Memories at Evergreen Senior Living June 28 with Bill Melton
- 11:06 AMGoing Dutch Festival celebrates female voice in the arts
- 9:56 AMRetirement open house honors Fox River Public Library director
- 9:46 AMLaugh your troubles away at AAUW's yoga session June 24
Through the Film Magnifier: Barry Manilow, Deadheads, Gerald Ford, Jimmy Connors, a fishing derby and more
Inside Daily Herald