Special Report | A united lobbying front: District 214 hopes to partner with 211, 15 over potential tax breaks
Northwest Suburban High School District 214 officials hope they can partner with two neighboring school districts if they hire a lobbyist Thursday to address controversial state legislation that could change their taxing authority for the proposed Bears project at Arlington Park.
Politics | How much did your congressional representative get from special interests?Democratic U.S. Rep. Brad Schneider collected more campaign cash from special interest groups during the 2022 election cycle than any of the other representatives serving the North, West or Northwest suburbs, new federal records show. Here's how much other congressmen representing the suburbs collected.
News | Woman dies crossing Wolf Road after being struck by two vehiclesWheeling police are investigating the death of a 53-year-old Wheeling woman fatally struck by two vehicles as she was crossing Wolf Road near Manchester Drive Thursday night.
News | Illinois COVID-19 hospitalizations at lowest point in four monthsCOVID-19 hospitalizations in Illinois have dropped to their lowest point since the beginning of October.
Lifestyle | 'He was a sweetheart': Aurora zoo mourns death of Tonka the cougarTonka, a cougar who was a longtime favorite of visitors to Phillips Park Zoo in Aurora, has died.
Transportation | $5M grant aimed at reversing 'crisis on our roadways'As concerns mount over a post-pandemic spike in crashes, the Chicago region this week received a $5 million grant aimed at making streets safer for pedestrians and cyclists.
Crime | Former president of Elmhurst church charged with stealing from donationsA former president of St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church in Elmhurst has been accused of stealing from its donations.
Crime | Man gets 67 years for trying to kill ex's new boyfriend in AuroraA man who tried to kill his ex-girlfriend's new boyfriend was sentenced Friday to 67 years in prison.
News | Nancy Joanne Czarnik, longtime Elk Grove Village trustee, lived life with gustoLongtime Elk Grove Village trustee Nancy Czarnik, who retired in November 2021 after 32 years on the village board, died Sunday at age 81. An avid reader, world traveler and bridge player, Czarnik was an Elk Grove icon, said Mayor Craig Johnson.
Bulls | Lisle native Walker finds her range at Eastern KentuckyLisle native Antwainette Walker, a Wheaton St. Francis grad, was named one of 10 finalists for the Ann Meyers Drysdale Award, given to the best shooting guard in women's college basketball. Walker is averaging 20.9 points and 9.7 rebounds at Eastern Kentucky this season.
Crime | Second man sentenced to 50 years in prison for West Chicago slayingA man was sentenced Friday to 50 years in prison for killing a West Chicago man he thought was a member of a rival gang.
Business | A surprising burst of U.S. hiring in January: 517,000 jobsAmerica's employers added a robust 517,000 jobs in January, a surprisingly strong gain in the face of the Federal Reserve's aggressive drive to slow growth and tame inflation with higher interest rates.
- 9:10 PMBahá'í House of Worship to celebrate Black History Month with music, art
- 5:35 PMNaperville approves safeguards for historic landmark attempts without owner consent
- 5:31 PMSugar Grove library to hold informational meetings about ballot question
- 4:28 PMSuccessful debut for Lake County's police, mental health clinician team-up program
- 3:59 PMGeneva aldermen expected to approve $128.3M city budget
More Suburban News Find your community
- SchaumburgPolice: Two in custody after fight at Schaumburg Convention Center
- LakemoorApproval sought in Lakemoor for village's first marijuana dispensary
- CrimeElmhurst man pleads guilty to having child pornography
- LibertyvilleOfficials shed light on death of woman whose body was found near Libertyville street
- Prospect HeightsProspect Heights Ward 1 candidates forum set for Feb. 15
- South ElginSouth Elgin man sentenced in DUI crash that injured two
- Boys' BasketballSt. Viator wins wild triple OT game at Carmel
- Boys' BasketballLarkin withstands Elgin's furious comeback
- Boys' BasketballPalatine clinches 1st outright MSL West title since 1996
- Girls' BasketballBarrington beats Warren behind Swanson's 39
- Boys' BasketballBatavia gets its revenge at Geneva
- Boys' BasketballLePage's career-high 31 leads CL South over Huntley
- 10:56 PMAurora University to host presidential historian in 'A Conversation with Doris Kearns Goodwin'
- 10:50 PMHuntley's inaugural Running of the Elves 5K a success
- 9:36 PMFoundation awards mini-grants to Villa Park Elementary District 45 staff
- 9:24 PMLeague of Women Voters of Central Kane County to host Feb. 16 candidate forum for Geneva races
- 8:49 PMWheaton seventh-grader's story selected for publication by New York Times best-selling author
- 8:31 PMDashing around Antioch becomes a math challenge at Grass Lake School
- 8:00 PMCarol Stream Elementary District 93 to host virtual kindergarten registration
- 7:50 PM'Studio 54' to make a comeback at College of DuPage Foundation gala Feb. 18
Inside Daily Herald