News | Mother learns her sons are two of many children with autism, all from one sperm donor
Danielle Rizzo says she made an extraordinary discovery three years ago: Her young sons are part of an autism cluster involving at least a dozen children scattered across the United States, Canada and Europe, all conceived with sperm from the same donor.
Transportation | Controversial plan to widen Naperville intersection on holdA proposed intersection expansion in south Naperville that riled neighbors is on hold while the city awaits the next chance to seek potential grant funding.
News | Angry board grills Arlington Park president, gives track a week to decide if it's 'no longer a horse racing enterprise'Churchill Downs Inc. last month blamed high taxes, a saturated gambling market and contributions to a state thoroughbred purse fund as reasons not to invest in up to 1,200 slots and table games allowed under the state's new law. Illinois Racing Board commissioner Thomas McCauley called that "nonsense."
Lake County | Facing teacher shortage, Lake County special education district freezes enrollmentThe Special Education District of Lake County is freezing enrollment, as the district grapples with a staffing shortage that teachers say has put their safety at risk.
Lake County | Floodwaters recede, but officials warn they'll be backAs homeowners continue to deal with the impacts of flooding from recent heavy rains, Lake County officials said Tuesday residents should expect to see more of the same in the years to come.
DuPage County | Carol Stream man charged with providing drug that killed Hanover Park manA Carol Stream man is being held in DuPage County jail on $1 million bail after being charged with supplying fentanyl to an acquaintance that resulted in a fatal overdose. Mark Vecchione, 28, of the 500 block of Canterbury Drive, is charged with one count of drug-induced homicide and one count of unlawful delivery of a controlled substance in the death of Logan Reiss, 30, of Hanover Park. Vecchione already was in custody on charges related to the manufacture and delivery of a controlled substance.
Theater | Elton John-scored 'Devil Wears Prada' musical set to premiere in Chicago in 2020A musical version of "The Devil Wears Prada" will make its world premiere at Chicago's James M. Nederlander Theatre next year. The Broadway-bound show features a score by Elton John, lyrics by Shaina Taub, a book by Paul Rudnick and direction by Steppenwolf Theatre artistic director Anna D. Shapiro.
DuPage County | Cronin: DuPage can't afford county clerk's big requested budget increase for electionsDuPage County Board Chairman Dan Cronin says he can't support a "dramatic" budget increase for the clerk's office, despite League of Women Voters chapters calling on the board to provide adequate election funding.
News | Resident crew gets the job done at Vernon Hills senior communityThe members of the demolition crew who went to work Tuesday morning at theBrookdale Senior Living Solutions community in Vernon Hills were a little older than what one might expect, but they brought plenty of enthusiasm for their task to get the job done.
Politics | State lawmakers seek to cap insulin pricesDemocratic lawmakers are pushing for a bill that would bring down the out-of-pocket cost for insulin for many diabetes patients in Illinois. "Insulin isn't optional," said Rep. Sue Scherer, a Decatur Democrat. "It's life-or-death for people, and it is so totally unfair that people are having to choose between insulin and food for themselves or their family."
Editorial | Editorial: Business has important role in curbing climate changeA Daily Herald editorial says American business has an important role ahead in helping fight climate change - for their own sake as well as ours.
News | Despite challenges, Mike Lattof 'lived a fuller life'Afflicted with a rare genetic disorder, Mike Lattof lived twice as long as he was expected. His family credits that to his active lifestyle and his long association with Clearbrook in Arlington Heights.
Crime | Former Maryville resident alleges he was a victim of academy leaderAs an 11-year-old at Maryville Academy in Des Plaines, Clarence George Jr. thought he had found a friend in the Rev. John P. Smyth, who ran the home for troubled kids. Instead, according to a lawsuit filed this week in Cook County, Smyth sexually abused George on "multiple occasions" between approximately 2001 and 2004, Smyth died earlier this year.
- 2:22 AMIsrael's 2 main political parties deadlocked after election
- 1:57 AMNepal's sexual minorities say progress in rights has stalled
- 1:29 AMChina releases stockpiled pork to cool price surge
- 1:25 AMJapan exports sink on weaker trade with China, US
- 12:38 AMNetanyahu, rightist allies appear to fall short of majority
More Suburban News Find your community
- Buffalo GroveBuffalo Grove establishes new tax on recreational marijuana sales
- AuroraAurora begins process to consider recreational marijuana sales
- NewsRare Arlington Heights Lustron home meets wrecking ball
- GurneeGurnee crash victim identified
- KildeerTacos Guanajuato opens in Kildeer
- SchaumburgRow houses added to plans for Schaumburg's massive north-side project
- WaukeganPedestrian killed in N. Chicago was Waukegan man, coroner says
- St. CharlesWahlburgers targets March opening in St. Charles
- Island LakeDriver hurt in Island Lake collision
- Prep SportsGirls volleyball: Dundee-Crown tops rival for 1st FVC win
- Prep SportsBoys soccer: Waubonsie Valley gets on the move to get winning goal
- Prep SportsGirls volleyball: Conant holds off Schaumburg
- 10:57 PMAfrican Children's Choir coming to McHenry County area this weekend
- 10:28 PMVilla Park's Troop 199 has record 7 Scouts earn the Eagle Rank
- 10:14 PMJoin Friends of the Fox River for It's Our Fox River Day Sept. 21
- 9:42 PMFree preparatory workshops offered for National Novel Writing Month
- 8:19 PMPets-a-Palooza returns with stunt shows, contests Sept. 21
- 4:57 PMLocal author shares story of how a coach potato became a marathon runner
- 3:57 PMSt. Luke Christian Day Care offers before and after school program
- 3:11 PMAmerican Hotel Registry Marks September 11 by Hosting Vitalant Blood Drive
Inside Daily Herald