Education | U-46 Superintendent Sanders leaving district to become state superintendent of education
Elgin Area School District U-46 Superintendent Tony Sanders is Illinois' next state superintendent of education.
Illinois | Tests, health care, student loans: What happens in Illinois and U.S. when COVID-19 emergency endsThe declaration of a COVID-19 public health emergency three years ago changed the lives of millions of Americans by offering increased health care coverage, beefed-up food assistance, and universal access to coronavirus vaccines and tests. Much of that is now coming to an end after President Joe Biden's administration said it plans to end the emergency declarations on May 11 and Illinois will no longer be under a disaster proclamation as of the same date.
DuPage County | DuPage sheriff says censure was not discussed at meeting with county chair over gun banDuPage County Sheriff James Mendrick says he was not threatened with censure during a meeting Monday with the county board chair and state's attorney. "We ALL agreed that our police should not be going to the homes of our law abiding residents to harass them over gun registration," Mendrick posted.
News | 'Feel like royalty': Balmoral in Campton Hills makes Yelp's list of top 100 in the nationBalmoral Restaurant in Campton Hills came in at No. 63 in Yelp's 10th annual list of top 100 restaurants in America, one of only two restaurants in Illinois placing on the list.
News | Roller rink to row homes? Lombard landmark is closing, owners announceThe Lombard Roller Rink is closing, the latest old-school rink to go the way of drive-in movie-theaters and bowling alleys. The owners put the property up for sale, and now a developer has proposed tearing down the rink to make way for a townhouse project.
News | Car repair mishap led to massive fire at industrial building in SchaumburgA massive fire that led to the demolition of a storage building in an industrial area of southwest Schaumburg was caused by sparks generated by work on a car, investigators have determined.
Crime | Prosecutors continue to share evidence in Highland Park mass shooting caseProsecutors reported no issues Tuesday in the lengthy process of reviewing materials and evidence for the criminal trial against the suspected Highland Park Fourth of July parade mass shooter.
Transportation | 5 things to know about the finished Terminal 5 expansion at O'HareThirty years after it opened, O'Hare's Terminal 5 celebrates a redo. Here's what's different.
News | Driver dies after two-vehicle crash near BensenvilleA Romeoville man was killed in a two-vehicle crash on Insterstate 294 near Bensenville Monday afternoon.
News | Aurora man dies after car plunges into icy pond, flips overA 23-year-old man died Tuesday after the car he was driving went plunged into a retention basin in southeastern Aurora and flipped over.
Commercial Real Estate | Billboard, hot dog stand's days are numbered as Schaumburg closes on purchase of eyesore siteSchaumburg officials have closed on their $700,000 purchase of an eyesore property containing a crumbling hot dog stand and highway-style billboard in an effort to create a more attractive gateway at the village's northeast entrance.
Chicago | Body of 96-year-old woman found in Chicago garage freezerThe body of a 96-year-old woman has been found inside a freezer in a garage behind a northwest Chicago apartment building.
Crime | Appellate court upholds downstate restraining order on weapons banA temporary restraining order that partially blocks Illinois' new ban on high-powered weapons from being enforced will remain in place after a divided state appellate court panel's ruling Tuesday. The order applies only to the 800 or so gun owners and firearms dealers named as plaintiffs in an Effingham County suit.
- 11:01 PMPingree Grove man charged with 12 felonies after Carpentersville drug investigation
- 5:10 PMChicago teen adds to impressive acting resume with poignant 'Dear Edward' on Apple TV+
- 4:17 PMSt. Charles' new strategic plan calls for 'balanced and thoughtful' development
- 4:12 PMCVS Pharmacy in St. Charles closing Wednesday
- 3:18 PMPakistan bombing raises fears over security breach, 100 dead
More Suburban News Find your community
- ElginAutopsy determines man stabbed to death in Elgin Saturday
- PoliticsObjection to Dist. 214 candidate overruled
- SchaumburgTown Square Condominium residents evacuated during fire
- CrimeElmhurst man pleads guilty to child porn charge
- Hoffman EstatesHoffman Estates' first marijuana shop opens; second on the way
- Carol StreamHanover Park teen accused of threating to kill students at Glenbard North
- NapervilleReward offered for info on Naperville armed robbery
- Boys' BasketballBuchert's return helps Libertyville get past Lake Zurich
- Girls' BasketballCook County girls basketball notes: Hersey celebrates retiring Fendley, Barthel
- Prep SportsPalatine holds on for 44-42 win over Conant after frantic final seconds
- College SportsNew Trier grad cleaning up on the court at Macalester College
- Boys' BasketballLake County boys basketball notes: Stevenson's depth making a difference
- 7:51 PMGrant will help Aurora church's ministry serving neighbors
- 7:17 PMJoin Coffee With Ukrainian Pastors Feb. 11 in Sycamore
- 6:41 PMTwo Geneva pastors to host 'Pub Theology' program Feb. 20
- 6:10 PMBank of America gives $100,000 to Food for Greater Elgin
- 5:32 PMAnn's Hallmark Store in Round Lake Beach is closing Feb. 15
- 5:25 PMSEECOM recognized for third time as an Accredited Center of Excellence for Medical Dispatch
- 5:16 PMPrince Industries and Carol Stream Chamber Foundation open scholarship portal
- 5:15 PMApply for Carol Stream Chamber of Commerce Foundation scholarship
Inside Daily Herald