Transportation | A woo-what? A woonerf is a pedestrian-friendly concept proposed for Arlington Heights
Arlington Heights officials are contemplating plans to further enhance the village's downtown, including transformation of the main Vail Avenue-Campbell Street intersection into a pedestrian-friendly, European-inspired streetscape.
Chicago | Some suburban counties likely to face restrictions amid spike in COVID-19 infectionsDuPage, Kane, Kankakee and Will counties are on the verge of having state-mandated restrictions imposed after their COVID-19 test positivity rates surpassed warning thresholds.
Education | Naperville D203, Elmhurst 205 going all-remote amid virus spread; U-46, others stand patAt least two major school districts are reverting to or extending fully remote learning in response to rising COVID-19 case rates in DuPage County, while several others say they'll keep schools open but closely watch the numbers.
Cook County | Why some Cook County voters are still waiting for mail-in ballotsAn onslaught of paper vote-by-mail applications in suburban Cook County may be the cause of weekslong delays experienced by voters who have not yet received their ballots, election officials said.
Politics | Hundreds of suburbanites vote early as more polling sites openBearing with cold, drizzly weather, suburban voters spent as little as a few minutes and up to a couple of hours waiting outside municipal buildings, libraries, courthouses and community centers to cast ballots on the first day of expanded early voting across the region Monday.
News | St. Charles reinstates late-night bar and restaurant permitsAs the COVID-19 positivity rate continues to rise in Kane County, the St. Charles City Council voted unanimously on Monday to reinstate the late-night permits for bar and restaurants.
Business | Burlington, Dollar Tree to fill former Sports Authority in Hoffman EstatesHoffman Estates officials Monday approved a plan to divide the former Sports Authority building on Hoffman Boulevard into separate spaces for Burlington and Dollar Tree stores, as well as a deal reimbursing up to $450,000 in sales tax to make it financially viable.
Columns | Constable: At 100, WWII veteran reflects on good times amid hardshipOn his 100th birthday, Evert Bergquist says his life has been filled with joy and fun, even during those World War II years when he helped liberate of concentration camp and fought in the Battle of the Bulge.
Columns | Rozner: Crawford's Blackhawks years will stand test of timeCorey Crawford's place in Blackhawks history is secure, but it was not always so.
Columns | Feder: Block Club Chicago launches free coronavirus hotlineA free coronavirus information hotline is being launched today by Block Club Chicago, the nonprofit digital news site.
Politics | Ives claims Casten backed out of debate; he cites scheduling conflictRepublican congressional hopeful Jeanne Ives of Wheaton is trying to make hay out of a solo television appearance scheduled for Tuesday night.
Crime | Warrant issued for West Dundee man in Elgin hit-and-run caseAn arrest warrant has been issued for a West Dundee man involved in a hit-and-run earlier this month in Elgin, authorities announced Monday.
News | Longtime priest and seminary professor dies two weeks after 100th birthdayMonsignor Charles R. Meyer, a senior professor emeritus at St. Mary of the Lake and Mundelein Seminary died Thursday, two weeks after his 100th birthday. For many years, he served as an assisting priest on the weekends in St. Edna Parish in Arlington Heights, and he also led a women's theology group in Mary, Seat of Wisdom Parish in Park Ridge
- 6:50 AMDanish sub killer recaptured after attempted prison escape
- 6:46 AMCommission says it will mute Trump's and Biden's microphones during parts of Thursday's debate
- 6:45 AMFinland's national carrier cuts over 10% of workforce
- 6:34 AMRare white sea turtle found on South Carolina beach
- 6:26 AMEU takes action against Malta, Cyprus for 'golden passports'
More Suburban News Find your community
- Lake CountyHow Lake County Board candidates assess COVID-19 response
- GenevaTwo suburban breweries medal at first virtual Great American Beer Festival
- EducationCOVID-19 cases force Prairie Ridge to return to remote learning
- AddisonAddison man dies from crash injuries
- Downers GroveDowners Grove man pleads guilty to trying to rob a North Central College student
- LibertyvillePolice looking for Libertyville carjackers
- EducationDistrict 116 to stick with remote learning for now
- NapervilleNaperville man charged with attempted child abduction
- Lake CountyLake circuit clerk candidates seek greater access to records
- ElginBlues harmonica virtuoso Corky Siegel helps Chamber Music on the Fox kick off season
- WaukeganPassenger killed in Waukegan crash
- PoliticsSchneider, Ramirez Mukherjee debate immigration, racial issues
- 7:39 PMCarol Stream taking nominations for Halloween decorating contest
- 7:32 PMBloomingdale offers tips on celebrating Halloween safely
- 7:25 PMBensenville offers Halloween COVID recommendations
- 7:15 PMTrick-or-treat hours set for Addison
- 7:08 PMWest Dundee offers guidance for trick-or-treating Oct. 31
- 6:53 PMSugar Grove hosts 'Drive-thru Trick-or-Treat' at local parks Oct. 26-29
- 6:30 PMNorth Aurora suggests trick-or-treat hours for Oct. 31
- 6:23 PMLake in the Hills offers safety tips for trick-or-treating
Through the Film Magnifier: Chubby Checker, Harrison Ford, Astronaut Jim Lovell and Dance Fever contestants
Inside Daily Herald