News | 'Something I have to do': Veterans pay tribute to fallen comrades at Streamwood ceremony
A crowd of veterans and others filled the plaza at the Streamwood Veterans Memorial on Sunday to pay tribute to those who didn't come home.
Education | As ChatGPT continues to evolve, educators are figuring out its place in the classroomOnly months old, ChatGPT has stirred debate as educators try to figure out where this new tool fits in their classrooms, if at all. Across the suburbs, reactions have been mixed, but many view the AI-powered chatbot as a powerful companion in the classroom.
Columns | How would legislation requiring full-day kindergarten affect suburban schools?If Gov. J.B. Pritzker signs a bill requiring full-day kindergarten in all elementary and unit school districts in four years, at least nine suburban districts would be affected. That's according to a Daily Herald analysis of 80 suburban school district kindergarten offerings in five counties.
Lake County | As ticks expand throughout the state, experts say prevention remains keyAs evidence grows that tick species in Illinois are expanding in range, researchers and health departments have buffed up surveillance of the arachnid -- but they say awareness and prevention remain our best defense against it.
News | Shorter elementary school days part of new St. Charles Dist. 303 teacher contractThe board has approved a four-year labor pact with its teachers union.
Business | BizWeek: Many travelers over holiday weekend; mall redevelopment to begin next stageThe Week in Business: The roads should be busy Memorial Day weekend; Hawthorn mall redevelopment begins next stage
Entertainment | Make a splash at 9 suburban water parks this summerTime to grab a swimsuit, beach towels and most importantly sunscreen as suburban water parks are reopening Memorial Day weekend. Here are nine options for where to cool off this summer.
News | With new developments arriving, Huntley approves plan for downtown parkingIt covers about 20 different areas downtown and more than 560 total parking spots.
Columns | Local Fare: Breaking down key postseason matchups in a busy week for high school sportsThis coming week of high school sports is a busy one, with state titles to be doled out in boys volleyball, boys and girls lacrosse, and girls soccer before baseball and softball state finals close things out for 2022-23 on June 9-10.
Entertainment | Plan ahead for Memorial Day weekend parades, services and festivalsMemorial Day is Monday, May 29. Events this week and over the weekend include parades and services in honor of those who made the ultimate sacrifice, as well as festivals and concerts.
Special Report | Suburban Skyview: They're still cutting the grass at shuttered Arlington Park racetrackIn this week's Suburban Skyview column, grounds crew members maintain the land at the shuttered Arlington Park racetrack in Arlington Heights.
Lake County | Antioch-area man charged with sexually abusing teen girlA 25-year-old Antioch-area man faces charges alleging he sexually abused a 13-year-old girl after picking her up at a Wisconsin home and taking her to his residence, authorities said Sunday.
Columns | Facts Matter: Smoke near Pentagon photo shows incident that didn't happenIn this week's Facts Matter column, Bob Oswald explores claims that a fire occurred near the Pentagon, former President Trump released an incoherent rant on Truth Social, students heckled President Biden at the University of Pennsylvania and more.
- 8:51 PMBuffalo Grove man, 80, located after going missing
- 8:39 PMDebt ceiling deal: What's in, what's out of the agreement to avert U.S. default
- 6:39 PMGovernment tries to claw back money so Jan. 6 rioters don't profit from online appeals
- 6:11 PMState budget approved: What's in it and what opponents objected to
- 5:52 PMTurkey's Erdogan wins another term as president, extends rule into 3rd decade
Recommended for You
More Suburban News Find your community
- NapervilleNaperville Park District opens Centennial Beach, splash pads
- SchaumburgSchaumburg's Woodfield Trolley route begins daily service for summer
- WaukeganNorth Chicago woman charged in Waukegan double shooting
- Prep SportsBaseball: Barrington gets payback, beats Mundelein for regional title
- Prep SportsBaseball: Burlington Central starts fast, blows out Sterling for regional title
- Prep SportsBaseball: Dorchies' gem leads Cary-Grove past Prairie Ridge to regional title
- Prep SportsBaseball: Big fourth inning sends St. Charles East past Schaumburg for regional crown
- Prep SportsBaseball: Bohr's RBI triple fuels Batavia rally against No. 2 St. Charles North
- Prep SportsIC Catholic celebrates fourth-place finish in Class 1A
- Prep SportsBaseball: Jacobs comes back in seventh to top McHenry for regional title
- Prep SportsBaseball: Janicki's walkoff homer leads Downers Grove North past Hinsdale Central
- Prep SportsSoftball: Kaneland breaks through late, tops Harvard to capture Class 3A regional title
- 1:06 AMChicago's Painted Ladies Competition recognizes value in repainting a home's exterior
- 12:56 AM'It Sounds Like Summer' at the Huntley Area Public Library
- 12:51 AMFrom Santa to suicide: Addressing the youth mental health crisis in America
- 12:48 AMAdvocate neurosurgeon talks about why 'warning strokes' require emergency attention
- 12:46 AMFox River Arts Ramble features art, food and music June 3
- 12:21 AMSkillsUSA Illinois names ECC's Carriveau board chairman
- 11:43 PMFoundation awards grants to Villa Park Elementary District 45 staff
- 11:35 PMVilla Park police joins Illinois 'Click It or Ticket' campaign to save lives
Inside Daily Herald