DuPage County | No more censure threat after DuPage sheriff, county board chair come to terms on weapons ban
Nearly one week after saying she would seek censure of DuPage County Sheriff James Mendrick, DuPage County Board Chair Deborah Conroy said in a joint statement with Mendrick that she has decided not to pursue the censure and that Mendrick is "committed to enforcing all state and local laws," with the undertanding that deputies won't have to go door to door to check on banned weapons.
Commercial Real Estate | Raising Cane's plan raising traffic concerns for some in Mount ProspectRaising Cane's is coming to Mount Prospect. And so, some residents say, is more traffic congestion at an already logjammed interseciton.
News | Report: Driver dead after car plunges into icy Aurora pondThe driver of a car that crashed into an Aurora pond early has died, according to multiple media reports.
News | Doe the right thing: Wauconda firefighters know how to rescue deer from icy Fox River, tooWauconda Fire District personnel this weekend rescued a deer that had fallen through the ice on the Fox River in Port Barrington. It's all in their training.
Education | At public forum, some say new Dist. 214 boss should be more visibleCommunity members on Monday told consultants from a search firm about the strengths and weaknesses of Northwest Suburban High School District 214, and what characteristics they'd like to see in a new superintendent.
News | 'A shocking loss': College student from Libertyville found dead FridayFoul play is not suspected in the death of 21-year-old Matthew Listman, a student at Illinois State University from Libertyville, whose body was found near a creek late Friday in Normal.
Chicago | Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum retiring climate change exhibit, increasing admissionAfter a six-year run, the climate change exhibit at the Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum will close Feb. 5 to make way for an immersive gallery of Chicago-area nature that's expected to open in April.
Crime | Streamwood man charged with armed robbery in Clarendon HillsA Streamwood man is accused of robbing a man at gunpoint Saturday.
Education | Pritzker helps open CLC's new $48 million student center in WaukeganGov. J.B. Pritzker and other public officials gathered Monday in Waukegan for the ceremonial opening of the new six-story student center on College of Lake County's Lakeshore Campus.
Crime | Suspect in thefts from Barrington auto dealership charged in Roselle caseA Chicago man accused last week of stealing a Barrington police patrol vehicle and driving off at 126 mph appeared in court Monday on new charges stemming from the burglary of a Roselle auto dealership earlier this month.
Blackhawks | Former Blackhawks great Bobby Hull dies at 84Bobby Hull, the Blackhawks' all-time leading goal scorer, died Monday morning. "Bobby Hull will always be remembered as one of the greatest Blackhawks players of all time," Hawks owner Rocky Wirtz said in a statement. "He was a beloved member of the Blackhawks family." John Dietz with the full story:
Transportation | Tollway board chairwoman steps down after a year due to health issuesIllinois tollway board Chairwoman Dorothy Abreu is stepping down, officials said, citing health issues. She started at the agency last February.
Entertainment | Remembering Cindy Williams and what she did besides 'Laverne & Shirley'Cindy William was among the most recognizable stars in America in the 1970s and '80s for her role as Shirley opposite Penny Marshall's Laverne on the beloved sitcom "Laverne & Shirley." But Williams worked with some of Hollywood's most elite directors in a film career that preceded her full-time move to television.
- 9:24 AMGlenbrook South girls shoot lights out against New Trier
- 9:16 AMTyre Nichols case shows officers still fail to intervene
- 7:25 AMTalk of fighter jets for Kyiv puts strains on Western unity
- 7:25 AMAdult Happy Meals, McRib, feed McDonald's sales in fourth quarter
- 7:25 AMEurope scrapes out economic growth by dodging gas disaster
More Suburban News Find your community
- ElginAutopsy determines man stabbed to death in Elgin Saturday
- WheelingPot shop, cafe to open Friday in Wheeling
- NapervilleDist. 203 increasing substitute pay rate for retired teachers, 'surge' days
- EducationPark Ridge-Niles District 64 board member resigns
- InvernessFremd student expands mission to encourage girls to pursue STEM careers
- AlgonquinSherman Hospital ER manager named Advocate's Nurse Leader of the Year
- NapervilleNaperville man seriously injured in two-car crash
- Cook CountyCook County seeks suburban poll workers for April 4 election
- CrimeGlenview police searching for man who tried to kidnap a student
- Villa ParkVilla Park trustee candidate asks court to remove opponent from ballot
- Mount ProspectIs it 'au revoir' for Mount Prospect's Sister Cities Commission?
- GenevaMovie producer from Geneva shines light on homelessness, mental illness
- 9:57 AMEla Library Appoints New Trustee
- 9:40 AMCLC's Prairie Voices wins highest honor for Recognizing Excellence in Art and Literary Magazines contest
- 9:10 AMRolling Meadows' Eileen Hart named region's Principal of the Year
- 9:05 AMHarper College to host Valentine's Day blood drive
- 9:01 AMHanover Township Mental Health Board awards FY24 funding
- 8:57 AMHanover Park Commissioner Awarded Rising Star
- 8:54 AMArlington Heights Garden Club Scholarships
- 7:50 PMAurora Public Art exhibit opens Feb. 3 during monthly First Friday event
Inside Daily Herald