News | Group wants to build $21 million affordable housing development in Elgin. Neighbors oppose it.
An Elgin-based non-profit organization wants to build a $21 million affordable housing development on Elgin's northwest side. Neighbors don't like, saying the loss of the wooded area the project would go on will cause flooding, noise and bring unwanted renters to an area where most people own their homes.
Columns | 'Not all that unusual' but quick drought for suburbs: What you should do with fire, your lawnThough a moderate drought is not uncommon for the suburbs, the dry weather leading to this year's conditions is: Last month was the Chicago area's fourth-driest May on record. Impacts have been limited so far, but experts say the weather could be further cause for agricultural and ecological concern if we don't see enough rain in the coming months.
Special Report | 'Due diligence': Naperville mayor defends meeting with Bears about stadium possibilitiesThe Naperville City Council met Tuesday for the first time since Mayor Scott Wehrli sat down with Chicago Bears President Kevin Warren to discuss the possibility of building a stadium in Naperville. And Wehrli defended his Bears meeting.
Crime | Police: Man fatally shot in 'targeted' shooting in Oak BrookOak Brook police are investigating a murder of a Chicago man found shot to death inside a vehicle on the village's west side.
Music | Festivals June 9-15: Chicago Blues Fest, Rails to Victory, Mundelein Craft Beer Fest and moreIf you haven't made it to an outdoor concert, movie in the park, cruise night or festival yet, there are variety of options happening across the suburbs this week. The best part? Most are free to attend.
News | A bear in the suburbs? Police investigate sighting near Gurnee Mills mallThe Chicago football team may not be the only bears exploring a move to the suburbs. Gurnee police said a real bear may have been spotted near Gurnee Mills on Wednesday.
Crime | Prosecutors: Driver in fatal Bensenville crash was intoxicatedA Chicago man is accused of driving under the influence of alcohol when his car ran a red light in Bensenville and crashed into an SUV, killing the female driver, authorities said Wednesday.
News | Fire in library of Streamwood middle school causes $85,000 in damageAn early morning in the library of Tefft Middle School in Streamwood caused an estimated $85,000 in damage, fire officials said Wednesday.
Transportation | After a 2-month respite, Long Grove's iconic bridge struck twiceAfter a bit of a breather, Long Grove's historic bridge is beginning once again to take a pounding. It recently sustained a one-two punch, first on Friday and again on Monday.
News | Longtime District 207 superintendent Wallace to retire in 2024Maine Township High School District 207's veteran superintendent will retire at the end of the 2023-24 school year.
Dining | Now's the time to make suburban dining plans for Father's DayImpress dad by planning a special brunch, lunch or dinner outing for Father's Day (hint: it's Sunday, June 18) in advance. There are many suburban restaurants that already have plans in the works, and reservations are being taken now.
Business | New ice cream shop in Algonquin has a focus on communityAlgonquin's newest ice cream shop may look like another small local ice cream option from the outside, but owner Mariangela Bolognini said its focus on community makes it stand out.
- 4:31 PMSt. Charles church hosts rummage sale June 8-10
- 4:31 PMSt. Charles church hosts 'car boot' sale June 10
- 4:30 PMNaperville Municipal Band awards annual scholarships
- 4:28 PMMaine South High getting co-principals
- 3:30 PMNorth Dakota Gov. Doug Burgum jumps into crowded Republican race for president
Recommended for You
More Suburban News Find your community
- NewsMan drowns in Woodridge pond
- NapervilleNaperville man accused of throwing rocks at seniors, beating one with lumber
- BataviaBatavia officials express concern about bike safety
- GurneeDriver charged in Gurnee-area crash that ejected 2 passengers
- St. CharlesSt. Charles City Council creates Equity and Inclusion Commission, appoints members
- WaucondaContracts for 2nd net-zero building on Lake County forest board agenda
- GenevaLearn more about Geneva road projects at two meetings
- Des PlainesFoxtail on the Lake in line to receive $750,000 from Des Plaines
- GrayslakeBail set for man charged in accidental shooting of toddler in Vernon Hills
- Oak BrookOak Brook police search for missing man with autism
- Special ReportBears can continue to gain revenue from Arlington Park billboard, board decides
- Oakbrook TerraceNo more red-light cameras on Route 83 in Oakbrook Terrace, judge rules
- 4:29 PMSTC Six collaborative beer returns for second year with first tasting on June 14
- 3:41 PMElk Grove Village completes multi-use sidepath along Meacham Road
- 3:34 PMD214 students display tech skills at flagship Apple store
- 2:07 PMStudent piano accompanists advocate for equality in music education
- 1:24 PMEla Library brings robotic pets to local seniors
- 12:07 PMISKCON Chicago Sri Sri Kisora-Kisori celebrating 50th anniversary June 15-18
- 11:15 AMMundelein LUNCH Summer 2023 Program Now Underway
- 9:18 AMOakton College administrator, faculty and staff recognized for excellence in professional development
Inside Daily Herald