Education | How suburban schools are preparing for the coronavirus
School districts across the suburbs are emphasizing preventive good hygiene practices as officials brace for coronavirus spreading in the region. Most districts don't have preparedness plans, but are using measures in place for flu and other communicable disease outbreaks.
News | Driver killed, passenger injured after SUV hits tree in St. Charles TownshipA 25-year-old man was killed and his passenger injured after a sport utility vehicle crashed into a tree Thursday in St. Charles Township. authorities said.
News | Rivers expects sportsbook tipoff in time for March MadnessThe Rivers Casino in Des Plaines recently launched 24/7 operations and hopes to be taking bets on sports as soon as the NCAA March Madness tournament, its CEO told investors in an earnings call Thursday.
News | Hoffman Estates update: Spring Awakening won't be back; coronavirus didn't mar hospitalProgress on the first phase of the Bell Works "metroburb" replacing the former AT&T campus in Hoffman Estates, and the unlikeliness of a second Spring Awakening Music Festival being held in the village, were among the items on Mayor Bill McLeod's annual community update Thursday.
Music | 5 fun weekend events: The Capitol Steps skewer politics at College of DuPage's MacThe Capitol Steps bring political song spoofs and sketches to the McAninch Arts Center in Glen Ellyn, Monster Jam's oversize trucks roll into Rosemont's Allstate Arena and College of Lake County's 36th annual "Salute to Gospel Music" fills Waukegan's Genesee Theatre. Here are five things to do this weekend.
News | Personal accounts: How coronavirus affected local travelers in ItalyCoronavirus disease caused changes from small to major for Daily Herald staffers and their family members visiting Italy, where there have been 300 cases and 12 deaths in the north. Here are two travelers' stories.
News | Boxing royalty in Elk Grove Village for Night at the Fights fundraiserBoxing royalty converged on Elk Grove Village to boost the National Italian American Sports Hall of Fame's Night at the Fights fundraiser Thursday night.
Lake County | Truck driver killed in Long Grove crashA semitrailer truck driver was killed Thursday in a crash in Long Grove that shut down a 2-mile stretch of Route 83.
Columns | Appeals court again denies new trial for killer of McHenry County sheriff's deputyIt was different argument, same result this week for Scott Peters, the Holiday Hills man serving a 135-year prison term for shooting a pair of McHenry County sheriff's deputies, one fatally, in 2014.
Columns | Feder: Before he became 'Mayor Pete,' Buttigieg worked as NBC 5 investigative internFor six weeks during the summer of 2002, a 20-year-old college student named Peter Buttigieg toiled in the background as an intern at WMAQ-Channel 5, the NBC-owned station in Chicago, Robert Feder writes.
Education | Move to Addison gives environmental nonprofit more space to recycleThe environmental education nonprofit SCARCE is moving to a new home in Addison that will provide a larger space for recycling and reuse efforts.
Kane County | Batavia teen bomb-making suspect charged with terrorism, could face life in prisonA former Batavia High School student arrested on charges he possessed explosives now faces 14 total charges, the most severe being terrorism, which carries a top sentence of life in prison if the student is transferred to and convicted in adult court.
- 1:24 PMCarnage on Wall Street, but some companies thrive or recover
- 1:05 PMSenate panel alters bill that would slow coal plant closures
- 1:04 PMReport: Los Angeles deputies shared Kobe Bryant crash photos
- 1:03 PMGeneral Motors to add 1,200 workers at 2 Michigan factories
- 1:03 PMReview: Caribou back with unpredictable, immersive album
More Suburban News Find your community
- EducationDistrict 158 students want school to rehire ex-security guard, football coach
- LibertyvilleLibertyville sharing $2.9 million in TIF funds
- Carol StreamCarol Stream man faces stalking charges
- GenevaGeneva man broke acquaintance's leg during fight, prosecutors say
- NewsAnother longtime Dist. 59 board member steps down
- West DundeeElk Grove deputy fire chief hired to lead department in West Dundee
- ElginDog, rabbit die in Elgin house fire
- Girls' BasketballFremd gets its revenge vs. Lake Forest
- Prep SportsBoys swimming and diving: Maine South's Young in good position heading to state
- Boys' BasketballDavidson's remarkable 50-year coaching career ends
- Girls' BasketballNew-look Lake Park defeats Geneva
- Girls' BasketballGrayslake Central shakes off St. Viator, barely
- 10:57 AMCLC offers two information sessions for engineering transfer program
- 10:57 AMpathways.engineering.illinois.edu
- 10:57 AMCosmetologists Chicago -- Not for Profit -- Presents America's Beauty Show 2020
- 10:57 AMChicago Regional Council of Carpenters' Fight for Fair Wages Results in Unprecedented $1.1 Million Payout for Illinois Workers
- 10:57 AMCostumed Character Hunt April 5th in Des Plaines
- 10:57 AMBartlett Library Helps Patron to Remain Open-Minded
- 10:38 AMSymetria Recovery's Six Illinois Locations All Designated as Blue Distinction® Centers for Substance Use Treatment and Recovery
- 12:41 AMLocal organization provides medical supplies to China for coronavirus
Through the Film Magnifer: William H Macy, Illinois Bell Strike, Montgomery Wards sking, 1979 blizard and more
Inside Daily Herald