Politics | After controversy, mayor says standards coming for Des Plaines Theatre bookings
Following community backlash over a conservative group's now-canceled booking of the city-owned Des Plaines Theatre, municipal leaders are working with the company that operates the venue to develop standards for future events.
Lake County | Nearly 70 vehicles involved in pileup on I-94 just north of Wisconsin borderUp to 70 vehicles were involved in a pileup on I-94 just north of the Wisconsin border that has completely closed traffic on the interstate, Illinois State Police said Friday afternoon.
Transportation | Railway merger opposed by suburbs gets regulators' OK; final decision in hands of STBFederal regulators contend the positives of a hotly debated merger sought by the Canadian Pacific Railway and opposed by many suburbs outweigh any negatives in a final report released Friday. Now it's up to members of the U.S. Surface Transportation Board to make a decision.
Commercial Real Estate | Miniso, a creperie and an escape room among 6 new stores coming to Woodfield MallHalf a dozen new stores are on their way to Woodfield Mall in Schaumburg in the coming months, including two making their first appearances in the Chicago and Illinois markets, as well as a fun escape room.
Business | Regal Cinemas' final showings in Lincolnshire the latest in the trend of movie theaters closingRegal Cinemas in Lincolnshire is closing after 24 years. The news comes after Regal Cinemas' parent company, Cineworld, announced the closure of 39 locations starting Feb. 15 as part of bankruptcy proceedings, while the Lincolnshire closure hadn't been announced.
Columns | Does bail reform lead to more crime? What 2 Loyola University professors foundAmid last year's contentious debate over the SAFE-T Act and the elimination of cash bail in Illinois, a pair of Loyola University Chicago criminal justice professors set out to determine whether bail reform does, as some claimed, lead to more crime. Here's what they found.
Columns | Upcoming doc captures the persevering spirit of Libertyville's Ike ReillyRocker Ike Reilly could be a character in one of his own songs -- the gritty, persistent working man's poet who can't seem to catch his big break. An upcoming documentary, "Don't Turn Your Back on Friday Night," looks at the outspoken bard's life, his music career and his family.
News | Elgin man charged with stalking middle schoolers because of repeat behaviorElgin Police Chief Ana Lalley provided more details on Friday into the investigation that led to the arrest of a Elgin man for allegedly stalking girls at Abbott Middle School.
News | 'An inspiration to us all': 90-year old Crystal Lake man still runs 3 miles a dayGeorge Diedrichs, a Crystal Lake man who just celebrated his 90th birthday, inspires his neighbors by running three miles each and every day regardless of the weather outside.
Business | Restaurant offering many Caribbean flavors to open next month in GurneeCaribana Island Bar & Grill is expected to have a soft opening the second week of February. The restaurant features cuisine from several Caribbean nations.
Transportation | O'Hare remains the second busiest airport in nation, gains ground from 2021We're No. 2! Atlanta's Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport is the busiest airport again, O'Hare trails by 34 flights a day.
Education | Embattled District 64 superintendent backed by community members at meetingAbout a dozen audience members at Thursday's Park Ridge-Niles District 64 board meeting rose to support embattled Superintendent Eric Olson.
Crime | Police: Man fired a machine gun more than 30 times in Villa Park neighborhoodA DuPage County judge on Friday denied bail for a Maywood man facing multiple weapons charges after prosecutors said he fired a machine gun more than 30 times into a Villa Park neighborhood, striking a nearby home.
- 4:04 PMJapanese robotics firm aims to launch warehouse revolution from Schaumburg
- 4:01 PMLakeshore Student Center public grand opening
- 4:00 PMOakton College seeking beekeepers for new project
- 3:07 PMVideo shows struggle for hammer during Pelosi attack
- 3:07 PMPalestinian gunman kills 6 near Jerusalem synagogue
More Suburban News Find your community
- NewsMan struck and killed by train near downtown Arlington Heights
- Round LakePolice: Impaired driver caused crash that killed Round Lake man, son
- CrimeWisconsin man charged with causing fatal Beach Park crash
- BataviaBatavia police investigating west-side car burglaries
- ElginElgin museum to honor late educator "Miss Marge" Saturday
- AlgonquinAlgonquin man charged with leaving the scene of I-90 crash near Schaumburg
- AuroraTwo Aurora men charged in carjacking
- EducationGeneva school district promoting assistant superintendent to top job
- Boys' BasketballBoys basketball: Handy, Meadows have blast in blowout win over Hersey
- Girls' BasketballSlagle explodes for 16 points, 14 rebounds as Geneva outlasts St. Charles North
- Girls' GymnasticsGirls gymnastics: Libertyville edges Mundelein in North Suburban Conference meet
- Boys' BasketballBoys basketball: Suchy, Fremd flip switch in nailbiting win over Barrington
- 3:09 PMYork Drama to present classic and contemporary takes on the seminal drama '12 Angry Men'
- 2:16 PMStreamwood Park District Commissioner Wright Honored
- 1:40 PMSinging valentines are back for sweethearts in the western suburbs and beyond
- 1:21 PMChicago's Role in the Underground Railroad Highlights Black History Month at the NSYMCA
- 10:15 AMMundelein Executive Assistant Formally Thanked for 27 Years of Dedicated Service
- 10:15 AMFremont School District 79 Principals Earn Recognition from Illinois Principals Association
- 10:15 AMLocal Business Earns the Ricoh Circle of Excellence Certification for 2023
- 10:07 AMOrthodontic Experts Welcomes Our Newest Doctor to the Rockford and DeKalb Communities!
Inside Daily Herald