News | The heart and soul of Arlington: Dick Duchossois, dead at 100, remembered for 'his life passion'
Charismatic billionaire Richard "Dick" Duchossois -- a decorated World War II hero who became the heart and soul of Illinois' recently shuttered grand horse racing palace, Arlington Park, which he turned into a world-class facility after a devastating fire in 1985 -- died Friday at age 100.
Illinois | 7-day COVID-19 case positivity rate dips into single digits after four weeks of highsThe state's seven-day COVID-19 case positivity rate dips into single digits for the first time since Dec. 29. "We expect over the next few weeks, it's going to decrease tremendously, but it's not going away," one expert says.
Kane County | 'Our grief is so great': Kane County remembers more than 1,000 lives lost to COVIDRoughly 40 people gathered Friday on the steps of the old Kane County Courthouse in Geneva to remember the more than 1,000 people Kane County has lost to COVID-19 since the beginning of the global pandemic. Among them were the family of Frank Giampoli, a longtime Geneva attorney who died of COVID in December 2020.
News | 'An amazing profession,' 2021 Advocate Good Shepherd Nurse of the Year says of her jobCourtney Kiolbassa, 28, became a cardiology nurse just over six years ago. Her dedication and hard work have earned her the 2021 Nurse of the Year award for Advocate Good Shepherd Hospital near Lake Barrington.
Columns | Scan to scam? QR codes are convenient and everywhere -- but there's a catch, FBI saysQR codes have grown in popularity during the COVID-19 pandemic, since they provide a contactless way to share information or make a payment. But all the convenience and safety they offer may be coming with a price, according to the FBI.
News | 'Very few individuals exhibited the drive ... of Mr. Duchossois': Reactions to the death of Mr. DReactions to the death of Arlington Park Chairman Emeritus Richard Duchossois poured in Friday afternoon.
News | Kyle Rittenhouse gun from Kenosha shootings to be destroyedA judge has approved an agreement by lawyers to destroy the assault-style rifle that Kyle Rittenhouse used to kill two people and wound a third during a 2020 street protest in Wisconsin
Crime | Sheriff: Palatine Township man charged in fatal stabbing of roommateA 47-year-old Palatine Township man stabbed his roommate to death Wednesday after an argument while the two were drinking, Cook County Sheriff Thomas Dart said Friday.
Crime | Neighbor: Elgin man on trial complained about his mother two months before her murderElgin neighbor testified Brian Peck complained about having to care for his mother Gail about two months before authorities say he killed and dismembered her and deposited her remains in a Chicago lagoon.
Politics | Lake Forest resident announces congressional bid in 10th DistrictLake Forest resident Joe Severino is seeking the Republican nomination for the 10th Congressional District seat now held by Democrat Brad Schneider of Deerfield.
News | Grayslake residents say board violated Open Meetings Act to quell gas station oppositionA group of Grayslake residents filed a complaint with the Illinois attorney general's office Thursday saying the village board violated the Open Meetings Act in an attempt to quell public opposition to a gas station proposal.
Politics | North Barrington woman running for Congress in 5th DistrictMalgorzata McGonigal, a North Barrington woman who ran for a local school board seat last year, has turned her sights on Congress.
News | Kroehler YMCA facility moves closer to sale in downtown NapervilleThe YMCA of Metro Chicago moved a step closer to selling the Kroehler YMCA site in downtown Naperville after the city's Historic Preservation Commission denied a request to grant landmark status to the original 1910 structure.
- 10:44 PMSouth America squid left exposed amid surge in China fishing
- 10:20 PMFuneral held in Vietnam for influential monk Thich Nhat Hanh
- 9:53 PMSome Vegas Strip casinos to get new facades, familiar names
- 9:25 PMArgentine singer Verdaguer dies of COVID-19 complications
- 9:21 PMEast Coast buttons up ahead of snow; Boston could get 2 feet
More Suburban News Find your community
- WaukeganGrayslake woman killed after crashing into police car, building
- Hoffman Estates4-H Club in Hoffman Estates doing canned fruit drive for pantries
- ElginWest Chicago police arrest two charged with firing weapons from apartment balcony
- AuroraBatavia Dist. 101 to hold forums about building plans
- AlgonquinCarpentersville man's arrest led to 'large police presence' at Algonquin store
- EducationWoodland 50 to pay $1 million over four years to new superintendent
- Lake in the HillsVillage administrator leaving after 20 years of service in Lake in the Hills
- NapervilleNew noise assessment being conducted for 248th Avenue project in Naperville
- Lake CountyInput sought on 5-year strategy for Lake County
- NewsFormer District 59 board member Krinsky appointed to Arlington Heights panel
- NapervilleNaperville Park District building outdoor circuit training facility
- Prospect Heights'He absolutely loved being mayor': Prospect Heights mourns Nick Helmer
- 8:53 PMGlenbard East to perform 'The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (abridged) [Revised]'
- 7:27 PMElmhurst resident to present at PBS Wisconsin Garden & Landscape Expo
- 7:16 PMMaggie Ogrodny named new director of business services at College of DuPage
- 7:10 PMFriends of the Fox River receives donation from Signal Hill DAR
- 6:52 PMLocal artists win regional theme song contest
- 6:32 PMGuitar Players Swap Meet Feb. 13 to benefit Bensenville Wood Dale Food Pantry
- 6:00 PMJohnsburg Mens Club donates to Johnsburg Jr. Skyhawks football program
- 5:50 PMGlenbard District 87 congratulates Illinois State Scholars
Inside Daily Herald