Special Report | 'You're wasting our time': Arlington Heights board votes 9-0 against bid to stop Bears incentives
After assailing Americans for Prosperity's anti-corporate welfare ordinance at their last meeting, Arlington Heights' mayor and trustees Monday night took their first formal vote to double down on their position against the bid to stop incentives for the Chicago Bears' development.
Commercial Real Estate | 'Yorktown 2.0': Lombard mall plans $200 million apartment projectThe owner of Yorktown Center and a multifamily-housing developer plan to replace the vacant Carson's anchor store with a large-scale apartment complex and a public park. Other regional shopping centers are undertaking similar housing projects to lift their fortunes and breathe new life into hulking retail spaces.
Politics | U.S. Senate candidates Duckworth, Salvi spar over stances on abortion, gunsThe two candidates for Illinois' U.S. Senate seat -- Democrat Tammy Duckworth and Republican Kathy Salvi, both suburban women -- challenged each other's records on women's rights, abortion access, guns and a bevy of other issues in a candidate forum Monday organized by the Illinois Associated Press Media Editors collaboration.
Lake County | Iconic Long Grove bridge struck for 42nd time since 2020For the 42nd time since 2020, Long Grove's iconic bridge stood up to another truck too large to cross beneath its steel-reinforced wooden top, officials said.
Business | Father and son teaming up to open new Barrington bistroA former Barrington restaurateur is returning with his son to open a new dining venue in a familiar location.
News | Des Plaines was ready and response to 80 migrants' arrival 'overwhelmingly positive,' mayor saysDes Plaines Mayor Andrew Goczkowski is crediting strong communication from state officials for the smooth arrival of about 80 asylum-seekers from Venezuela over the weekend, and he lauded the positive response from residents and charities.
News | Capentersville and West Dundee offer dueling FAQs in response to potential warehouse developmentTo answer questions about a potential warehouse development, Carpentersville officials put together an FAQ. That prompted neighboring West Dundee to respond with a statement of their own.
Kane County | 4-year-old girl dies after crash near Maple ParkA 4-year-old girl from DeKalb died following a crash Saturday near Maple Park.
Crime | Robbers smash display cases with hammers at Hawthorn Mall jewelry storeVernon Hills police are searching for two men who used hammers in a smash-and-grab robbery of a jewelry store Monday morning at Hawthorn Hall.
Prep Football | Football / Top 20York, Hersey and South Elgin are the top three teams after Week 6 in the Daily Herald's Top 20 rankings.
News | Two dead after crash in Aurora between motorcycle and minivanTwo people died when a motorcycle and a minivan collided Saturday morning in Aurora.
Crime | St. Charles youth prison guard sentenced for role in inmate-on-inmate attacksA guard at a state youth prison in St. Charles who did not report inmates' attacks on each other or threats to their safety was sentenced to probation and community service, Kane County officials announced Monday.
- 8:19 AMIn Ian's wake, Florida residents brave a slow wait for power
- 8:08 AMAmid Ian's wounds, Jews see healing, renewal in Yom Kippur
- 8:01 AMKids with disabilities face off-the-books school suspensions
- 7:42 AMEcuador prison clash leaves at least 15 dead, 20 injured
- 7:39 AMUgandan opposition figure Bobi Wine objects to oil pipeline
More Suburban News Find your community
- NewsGarage fire in Arlington Heights destroys two cars
- BarringtonIncumbent McConchie, Peterson clash over SAFE-T Act in 26th state Senate District race
- PoliticsWatch Murphy, Raspanti discuss issues in 28th Illinois Senate race
- Kane CountyKane County Board candidates discuss opioid crisis during forum
- AuroraMetea Valley kicking off theater season with "Jack and the Magic Beans"
- Prep SportsBoys golf: Barrington handles pressure, wins sectional
- Prep SportsBoys golf: Glenbard West's Roscich captures sectional title
- Prep SportsGirls golf: Hinsdale Central, Neuqua, Benet advance to state
- Prep SportsBoys golf: Maguire leads Benet to 2nd at sectionals
- Vernon HillsBoys golf: Marmion's Konen wins sectional championship with 72
- Prep SportsGirls golf: Stevenson tops Barrington for sectional crown
- Mount ProspectLike going back in time: Mount Prospect's Central Continental Bakery turns 100
- 1:16 AMLake Park Theatre to put on American classic 'Bus Stop' Oct. 6-8
- 12:17 AMMetea Valley High School theater presents 'Jack and the Magic Beans' Oct. 7-9
- 11:50 PMAurora's First Fridays features celebrations, bra drive, and soup cookoff
- 10:46 PMMooseheart eagles will be finding a new home as school gets permit to take down the old pine tree
- 4:53 PMIllinois American Water announces results of biosolids partnership with farmers
- 4:45 PMGlenbard West announces its latest Distinguished Alumni
- 4:19 PMElk Grove Town Hall Meeting
- 4:17 PMBJI Welcomes New Sports Medicine/Shoulder Surgeon
Inside Daily Herald