Business | Like going back in time; Mount Prospect's Central Continental Bakery turns 100
After 100 years of serving delicious cakes, cookies and its famed paczkis, Central Continental Bakery in downtown Mount Prospect is preparing for another century of pleasing its loyal customers.
DuPage County | Self-defense or murder? Lombard man makes his case about 2021 fightSpeaking publicly about his case for the first time, Lombard resident Ronald Dunbar insists he was acting in self-defense during a 2021 fight in Elmhurst that left another man dead. Authorities have accused Dunbar of murder.
Business | The Biz Week That Was: Naperville celebrates end of project; museums proposed for Pheasant RunNaperville celebrates end of major construction project. Veterans, sports museums proposed for part of Pheasant Run property. weetness Cookie Company opens in South Elgin.
Bears | Bears vs. New York Giants: 5 things to watch in Week 4This will be the fifth consecutive season that the Bears and Giants have squared off. The Bears have won the past three matchups.The Bears and Giants kick off at noon Sunday on Fox. Here's what to watch for.
News | Suburban Skyview: Boardwalk meanders through wetlands in BataviaIn this week's Suburban Skyview column, an aerial look at Lippold Park in Batavia.
News | Woman killed after being struck by car in Geneva identifiedA woman who died after being struck by a car in Geneva Wednesday night has been identified.
Crime | Chicago man held without bond in brutal attack of woman in Naperville hotel roomThis content is no longer available on dailyherald.com
Crime | Palatine man charged with aggravated DUI after traffic stop in BartlettThis content is no longer available on dailyherald.com
Chicago | Road-rage shooting in Chicago leaves 3-year-old deadIn a shooting the police said was sparked by road rage, a 3-year-old Chicago boy was killed Friday night on the Southwest Side as he sat in the back seat of his mother's sport-utility vehicle. The slain boy, identified as Mateo Zastro, is one of the youngest victims of violence in Chicago this year.
Lake County | Long-sought revival of former industrial area on north side of Mundelein's downtown is underwayDemolition of a home, apartment building and other structures in what is considered a gateway area south of Route 176 in downtown Mundelein, will clear the way for a 139-unit townhouse development called Morris Station.
Columns | Facts Matter: Hurricane warning shared on social media really is from 2016In this week's Facts Matter column, Bob Oswald examines a misleading post about Hurricane Ian, claims that Barron Trump has been expelled from his private school, posts that Nancy Pelosi is being impeached and more.
Columns | Grammar Moses: I have become comfortably numberJim delves into homophones and the seriousness of sports writing
Politics | Illinois treasurer candidates Mike Frerichs, Tom Demmer spar over role of officeDemocratic Illinois Treasurer Michael Frerichs and his Republican challenger Tom Demmer trade barbs over how they perceive the role of state treasurer during a recent candidate forum with the Daily Herald's editorial board.
- 8:39 AMIs this Schiller Woods 'Fountain of Youth' magic? At the least, it brings people together
- 8:14 AMIran parliament speaker says protests could weaken society
- 8:07 AMAmid crises, rural roots anchor Southern Baptists' president
- 7:57 AM125 die as tear gas triggers crush at Indonesia soccer match
- 7:34 AMMan accused of killing 22 older women goes on trial again
More Suburban News Find your community
- BataviaWoman killed after being struck by car in Geneva identified
- BartlettPalatine man charged with aggravated DUI after traffic stop in Bartlett
- Hoffman EstatesIrish tunes, wolfhounds and birds of prey among Celtic fest highlights
- Bartlett65 kegs of beer should be enough for a successful Oktoberfest
- Des PlainesDes Plaines welcomes asylum-seekers
- Lake ZurichDeveloper seeks OK to build 52 townhouses in Lake Zurich
- Downers GroveBullet found in letter threatening Downers Grove library
- Downers GroveHistoric bridge to make its return to Hidden Lake Forest Preserve in October
- Mount ProspectWhere rivals in 54th District stand on SAFE-T Act, crime, gun control
- NapervilleOktoberfest is near and bier to their hearts in Naperville
- Elk Grove VillageElk Grove Village setting up new taxing districts for fire service in unincorporated areas
- Hoffman EstatesLurie Children's Hospital proposes $56M Schaumburg outpatient center for Northwest suburbs
- 8:51 PM'Uncommon Threads' fashion show comes to Glen Ellyn Oct. 16
- 7:20 PMDonation provides CLC students with new equipment and training
- 3:32 PMWaubonsee celebrates LGBTQ+ History Month with special events in October
- 3:19 PMWaubonsee celebrates National Arts and Humanities Month with special events in October
- 12:24 PMWheaton author to join Prairie Path Books' 'Whiskey, Beer, and History' event
- 10:49 AMDes Plaines Community Foundation Donates $30,000 to Local Food Pantries and Charities for the Holidays
- 10:26 AMNicor Gas recognizes Hunger Action Month, commits $450,000 to address food insecurity
- 10:23 AMIllinois American Water Offers Inclusion, Diversity and Equity Grants
Inside Daily Herald