News | Why some suburban communities are holding off on mowing until Mother's Day
Organizers say a spring lawn that grows longer and lets flowers bloom provides habitat, nectar and pollen for pollinators like native butterflies and bees. That habitat also can shelter for other insects that might otherwise flee or fall to harm under a mower's blades, providing food for migrating birds.
Education | District 15 candidates discuss curriculum, board's role in setting itCandidates for the Palatine Township Elementary School District 15 board say board members should play a strong role in setting and monitoring curriculum, but they have differences about what should be emphasized.
Education | Suburban school board races heat up over library books, sex edTwo years ago, school board races across the suburbs drew long lines of candidates galvanized by mask mandates and remote learning. This election cycle, school board hopefuls from Wheaton to Palatine have refocused their energy on heated debates over library books, lessons on racism and the role of parents in deciding what is taught in classrooms.
Entertainment | Fun and games in Schaumburg as AdeptiCon takes over convention centerIt may have seemed like all just fun and games this weekend at the Renaissance Schaumburg Convention Center, and that's because it was.
Business | BizWeek: Revitalizing former Rohrman property; closing because of the pandemicThe Week in Business: A developer hopes to revitalize a long-vacant property; A Batavia restaurant is closing because it couldn't recover from the pandemic.
Columns | How a controversial law allows local governments to recapture refunded property taxesHundreds of taxing bodies throughout the suburbs now can reclaim millions of dollars in refunded property taxes thanks to a controversial law passed nearly unanimously by the state legislature two years ago.
News | Suburban Skyview: Shadows stretch over an empty farm fieldIn this week's Suburban Skyview column, shadows fall across an empty farm field.
Transportation | Canadian Pacific freight cars derail in Franklin ParkTwo Canadian Pacific Railway freight train cars derailed in Franklin Park on Sunday afternoon. No one was injured, the company said, and the tracks were cleared within hours.
Crime | Authorities seek two suspects in Elgin bank robberyAuthorities are searching for suspects in a Saturday afternoon bank robbery in Elgin. Two men walked into the PNC Bank, 1695 Larkin Ave., at 1:37 p.m., displayed a gun and demanded money, according to a news release from the FBI Chicago Field Office.
Business | Stan's Donuts to open Rosemont location FridayOfficials will cut the ribbon on the new Stan's Donuts & Coffee Friday in Rosemont.
News | Fiery fatal Downers Grove crash under investigationDowners Grove police are investigating a fatal crash that happened at the intersection of Finley and Lacey roads Friday.
News | Biden's Justice Dept. keeps hard line in death row casesBiden has not acted on his 2020 campaign promise to end capital punishment on the federal level.
- 7:03 PMJim Geldermann: 2023 Candidate for Glenbrook High School District 225 school board
- 7:02 PMMarcelo Sztainberg: 2023 Candidate for Glenbrook High School District 225 school board
- 7:02 PM"Skip" Shein: 2023 Candidate for Glenbrook High School District 225 school board
- 7:02 PMSandra Muhlenbeck: 2023 Candidate for Glenbrook High School District 225 school board
- 7:02 PMPaul Kelly: 2023 Candidate for Glenbrook High School District 225 school board
Recommended for You
More Suburban News Find your community
- Campton Hills'Fatally flawed': Campton Hills zoning ordinance under fire
- GrayslakeKids pack field house for Grayslake Easter egg hunt
- St. CharlesSt. Charles plans $3.7 million in street upgrades beginning in May
- AlgonquinHer next big stage: Algonquin woman auditions for 'American Idol'
- NapervilleNaperville police cite 12 businesses for underage tobacco sales
- AuroraAurora man pleads guilty to home invasion, gets 19 years in prison
- PalatineAuthorities: Palatine man sexually assaulted woman at gunpoint at Riverwoods hotel
- NapervilleDistrict 203 purchasing first electric buses
- EducationPrincipal's award part of 'amazing year' at Rolling Meadows High School
- St. CharlesSt. Charles City Council approves construction bid for First Street Plaza expansion project
- South BarringtonStricter rules for RV parking enacted in South Barrington
- Vernon HillsVernon Hills man gets 8 years in prison for 'long cons'
- 6:26 AMNew amenities set to wow crowds at McHenry Outdoor this spring
- 11:51 PMOperation Walk Chicago embarks on Medical Mission to Vietnam March 27
- 11:48 PMI Served Too: The Female Veteran Perspective
- 11:45 PM100+ Women Who Care of Will County donate $7,500 to Will County Habitat for Humanity
- 11:37 PMHall of Famer recalls her time in the All-American Girls Professional Baseball League for Women's History Month
- 11:12 PMAlumni Chef Riley O'Dette visits ECC culinary arts department
- 11:09 PMDowners Grove's new Lytle Auditorium will debut a temporary Lego art installation in late April
- 11:08 PMFamily ties to Project Based Learning at Grass Lake School
Inside Daily Herald