News | 'You feel right at home': Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe draws tens of thousands to Des Plaines
Tens of thousands of worshippers from near and far made their pilgrimage to Des Plaines beginning Wednesday night for overnight festivities honoring Our Lady of Guadalupe.
News | South African's sculptures of staggering scale coming to Morton ArboretumThe next major art installation coming to the Morton Arboretum will feature five sculptures on the same scale as the giant trolls that helped the tree museum in Lisle set an attendance record last year.
Business | Elk Grove board paves way for two new hotels, restaurantElk Grove Village trustees on Tuesday approved zoning changes that clear the way for construction of two new hotels and a restaurant on the site of the blighted former Elk Grove Hotel.
White Sox | Yes! Hawk Harrelson heading to Hall of FameKen "Hawk" Harrelson, the Chicago White Sox's colorful TV broadcaster for 33 years, is going to be inducted into the Hall of Fame in July. On Wednesday, the 78-year-old Harrelson was selected as the 2020 recipient of the Ford C. Frick Award.
Crime | Woman who killed 4-year-old daughter released from mental hospitalA woman who killed her 4-year-old daughter in 2010 in Bloomingdale because she feared the girl would be kidnapped by Satan has been released from a state mental health hospital.
Crime | Streamwood man guilty of stabbing estranged wife in Hoffman EstatesA Streamwood man who stabbed his estranged wife in her abdomen as she left her Hoffman Estates home for work two years ago was found guilty of attempted murder.
Lake County | Police: Grayslake-area man caught on camera stealing the cameraA Grayslake-area man got a hard lesson in cloud storage Wednesday when he was arrested on charges of stealing his neighbor's indoor security camera and cash. Lake County sheriff's police said Carlos H. Zelaya, 32, who lives on the 18100 block of West Lindenwood Drive, was charged Wednesday with residential burglary after the evidence of his misdeeds was automatically uploaded to the internet.
News | Brothers who lived in Northbrook reported among dead after volcano eruptionTwo brothers who moved from Northbrook to Australia were confirmed Wednesday as the latest victims of the volcanic eruption in New Zealand, according to Australian media reports.
Crime | Jail, probation for man who caused Aurora casino bomb scare, evacuationA 30-year-old Chicago man convicted of causing a bomb scare that forced the evacuation of Aurora's Hollywood Casino in February was sentenced Wednesday to two years of probation and given credit for 10 months served in jail.
News | Geneva mayor breaks tie vote to allow cannabis salesGeneva officials have set zoning parameters to allow recreational and medical cannabis sales in the city. Mayor Kevin Burns voted to approve the ordinance, breaking a 5-5 tie among aldermen, that will allow one medical and one recreational cannabis dispensary.
News | Workshop teaches importance of overcoming personal, institutional biasesRecognizing and overcoming unconscious biases about strangers can be an important goal for anyone, but even more so if he or she is charged with hiring decisions, teaching a classroom of students or making traffic stops.
Transportation | Metra to herald 2020 with free rides on New Year's EveNew Year's Eve revelers who want to celebrate the end of the decade safely will get a bonus from Metra Dec. 31. Officials announced Wednesday that passengers can ride free to and from downtown stations starting at 6 p.m. Dec. 31. Unlimited trips will be offered for $5 on Jan. 1.
- 11:40 PMNew Zealand planning retrieval of bodies on volcanic island
- 11:30 PMNobel laureate Suu Kyi defends Myanmar army in genocide case
- 11:30 PMFewer kids report sex abuse in US juvenile detention centers
- 9:58 PMAsian shares mixed as Fed leaves rates unchanged
- 9:53 PMFears mount that New Jersey shooting was anti-Semitic attack
More Suburban News Find your community
- CrimeBurglar steals ashes of baby from Elmhurst house
- AlgonquinNo injuries reported in Algonquin apartment fire
- Buffalo GroveCigarette sparks blaze at Buffalo Grove home
- Mount ProspectMount Prospect rejects recreational pot sales, but medical marijuana likely to expand in village
- SchaumburgChecks reported stolen from Schaumburg postbox
- NapervilleFormer DuPage board member appointed to zoning panel
- BataviaPolice: Man charged after threatening to shoot guard at Batavia business
- SchaumburgSchaumburg approves rules for recreational pot sales
- BataviaBatavia picks new alderman to fill vacant seat
- Lake ForestBeach Park teen arrested after making threats, police say
- EducationDistrict 220 makes College Board's honor roll
- Girls' BasketballBartlett's Sinclair picks up MVP honor
- 10:33 PMClarendale of Addison hosts grand opening celebration
- 10:19 PMHoliday Jingle Ball Showcase returns Dec. 15
- 9:29 PMSt. Charles' Giving Trees to benefit Elderday Center
- 4:38 PMElgin fire stations collecting coats, hats, mittens for Community Crisis Center
- 4:26 PMLast-minute call for bell ringers for McHenry County Salvation Army
- 2:42 PMAntioch Traveling Closet to hold giveaway Dec. 15
- 10:28 AMEast Elementary Celebrates November Students of the Month
- 10:28 AMExpeditions at East Elementary
Inside Daily Herald