Transportation | 'There's nothing for these paramedics to do': Remembering the Flight 191 crash
Former Daily Herald photojournalist Dave Tonge reflects on covering the crash of Flight 191 that killed 273 in Des Plaines on May 25, 1979.
Lake County | Hundreds of Lake County properties were overtaxed, officials admitHundreds of Lake County property owners received tax bills this month that wrongly asked for too much money because of computer errors that eliminated legitimate credits, officials acknowledged Thursday.
DuPage County | West Nile mosquitoes found in Wayne; first report of virus in stateA mosquito trap in Wayne has tested positive for the West Nile virus, the first report of virus activity in Illinois.
Entertainment | Festivals: Parades, ceremonies and more mark Memorial Day 2019 in the suburbsThe Memorial Day 2019 weekend kicks off the summer festival season with patriotic parades, somber ceremonies and suburban art fairs. Here's a list of events.
Columns | Kevin Dougherty missed the PGA Tour by an inch. His dream is still very much alive, though.Every year, one player misses his PGA Tour card by a shot. Kevin Dougherty survived the cruelest finish ever, but keeps on fighting on the Web.com Tour.
Transportation | Tollway to O'Hare could cut through Flight 191 crash siteFor decades, officials have haggled over creating a western access for O'Hare International Airport. It would involve a tollway to be designated Interstate 490 to connect the Jane Addams with the Tri-State Tollway along the western flank of the airport. To accomplish that, the easiest link would be right through the Flight 191 crash site.
News | Hail and damaging wind possible tonight. Here's what you need to know.A band of heavy thunderstorms is expected to move in to to the area Friday evening with the potential to bring large hail and damaging winds, the National Weather Service is reporting.
News | Mount Everest has gotten so crowded that climbers are perishing in the traffic jamsAt least seven people have died on Mount Everest this week, as a few days of clear weather attracted hundreds of climbers hoping to scale the 29,029 feet to the mountain's peak.
Columns | How Schaumburg cops are rallying around stricken colleagueColleagues describe officer Ross Urso as the best cop on the force and the literal picture of health. So is came as a shock this spring when Urso revealed he had Stage 4 cancer and was in the fight of his life. Now, the Schaumburg Police Department and suburban law enforcement community are rallying around the 19-year veteran with a pair of fundraisers.
Music | 5 things to do this weekend in the suburbsGet out and have some fun: It's a party all Memorial Day weekend at Arlington International Racecourse, Hurricane Harbor opens for the season at Six Flags Great America, and Rosie & The Rivets rock Wheaton's Cantigny Park.
News | Teens released from hospital after being found unconscious during hazmat situationTwo teens found unconscious as well a dozen others affected by a hazardous materials situation Thursday in Lincolnshire were treated and released.
Suburban Talent | You can still sign up! Suburban Chicago's Got Talent deadline extendedSign up -- or miss out. The deadline to register to audition for Suburban Chicago's Got Talent has been extended to Tuesday, May 28.
- 4:56 PMDax a hero dog finalist:
- 4:56 PMWWII Code Talker and longtime NM lawmaker dies at 94
- 4:56 PMCritics worry AG will reveal Russia probe info to help Trump
- 4:55 PMGurnee water tower nearly erected, on schedule to be operational by end of the year
- 4:54 PMMany factors helped save lives in Jefferson City twister
More Suburban News Find your community
- EducationLake Zurich 95 selects new superintendent
- EducationNewcomers join Mundelein High School board
- Buffalo GroveLee seeks recount in Buffalo Grove trustee April election
- Elk Grove VillageElk Grove Village water park parking not allowed at church
- Des PlainesLong-vacant Immanuel Lutheran Church school in Des Plaines to be occupied again
- NewsProspect High School senior named area's Journalist of the Year
- Cook CountyChicago man arrested at Arlington Heights area hotel on prostitution charge
- News100 years in the making -- video highlights Memorial Day in Arlington Heights
- Lake CountyBlanding's turtle recovery program a slow success in Lake County
- Mount ProspectDriver hospitalized after vehicle rolls over in Mount Prospect parking lot
- Prep SportsBoys track and field: Olenek, Jones jumping right in at state meet
- Prep SportsBoys tennis: Hersey's Sheldon on cruise control during first day at state
- 12:29 PMWords on Wheels selected as June recipient of Grand Foundation's 12 Months of Giving
- 12:06 PMEarly report of West Nile activity in DuPage County prompts health department advisory
- 10:41 AMLittle Angels Pledge Run returns June 2 to Woodstock Harley-Davidson
- 9:42 AMMundelein teen becomes Eagle Scout
- 9:39 AMLake Forest Swim Club to tee up its 6th annual golf outing
- 7:59 AMTransportation Options for Seniors: Finding Rides, Friday May 31
- 7:56 AMSchaumburg's Popular Farmers Market Returns May 31
- 7:44 AMHarper College student success agenda continues upward trajectory
Inside Daily Herald