Columns | How would legislation requiring full-day kindergarten affect suburban schools?
If Gov. J.B. Pritzker signs a bill requiring full-day kindergarten in all elementary and unit school districts in four years, at least nine suburban districts would be affected. That's according to a Daily Herald analysis of 80 suburban school district kindergarten offerings in five counties.
News | A Marengo man has spent decades rebuilding a B-17 bomber in his barnAs a young man Mike Kellner of Marengo dreamed of flying a B-17 bomber. When no one would let him, he bought a scrapped plane in a junkyard in Maine in 1984. He's been putting it back together ever since.
Education | As ChatGPT continues to evolve, educators are figuring out its place in the classroomOnly months old, ChatGPT has stirred debate as educators try to figure out where this new tool fits in their classrooms, if at all. Across the suburbs, reactions have been mixed, but many view the AI-powered chatbot as a powerful companion in the classroom.
Special Report | Arlington Heights approves first Bears demolition permit for Arlington ParkArlington Heights officials approved a building permit Friday for the first phase of demolition at the Bears' Arlington Park property.
Lake County | As ticks expand throughout the state, experts say prevention remains keyAs evidence grows that tick species in Illinois are expanding in range, researchers and health departments have buffed up surveillance of the arachnid -- but they say awareness and prevention remain our best defense against it.
Kane County | Man killed by Kane Co. deputies had just been charged with robbery, fleeing police in 2 other casesAuthorities have released the identity of the man shot Wednesday by Kane County deputies. Court records indicate he had been charged with several felonies earlier in the week, including fleeing and eluding.
Business | BJ's Restaurant & Brewhouse coming to SchaumburgSchaumburg officials have given the go-ahead for the 30,000-square-foot former Saks Off Fifth store in the Woodfield Village Green shopping center to be demolished to make way for a 7,662-square-foot BJ's Restaurant & Brewhouse outlot building and its own parking needs.
Crime | Former St. Viator students testify in trial of onetime guidance counselorFormer St. Viator High School students testified Friday that onetime guidance counselor Joseph Majkowski sent them inappropriate text messages when they were sophomores at the Arlington Heights school during the first day of Majkowski's trial in Rolling Meadows.
Entertainment | Make a splash at 9 suburban water parks this summerTime to grab a swimsuit, beach towels and most importantly sunscreen as suburban water parks are reopening Memorial Day weekend. Here are nine options for where to cool off this summer.
Special Report | Suburban Skyview: They're still cutting the grass at shuttered Arlington Park racetrackIn this week's Suburban Skyview column, grounds crew members maintain the land at the shuttered Arlington Park racetrack in Arlington Heights.
Commercial Real Estate | Lombard OKs apartment plan for Yorktown Center mallIf all goes as planned, shoppers at Yorktown Center could see new apartments under construction on the mall property starting next year.
- 8:30 AMLegislature approves tighter restrictions on red-light camera industry
- 8:27 AMOath Keeper who stormed Capitol gets more than 8 years in prison in latest Jan. 6 sentencing
- 8:25 AMWhat Chicago, other cities are doing to head off summer violence
- 8:14 AMImages: Lakes Community, Kaneland and Aurora Christian graduation ceremonies
- 7:20 PMImages: Stevenson and Carmel Catholic high school graduation ceremonies
Recommended for You
More Suburban News Find your community
- WaukeganNorth Chicago woman charged in Waukegan double shooting
- AddisonAddison man convicted of setting car on fire at Elmhurst dealership
- BensenvilleMan pleads guilty to reckless homicide for crash that killed Itasca woman
- BloomingdaleBloomingdale Popeye's damaged by fire
- LisleFresh eyes on the landscape: Five new big sculptures at Morton Arboretum ready for viewing
- Round LakeRound Lake man already on parole now charged with choking pregnant teen
- Lake in the HillsLake in the Hills man pleads guilty to stabbing relative
- Prep SportsSoftball: Lucas delivers walk-off hit in Fremd's regional title win over Conant
- Prep SportsGirls soccer: Rebmann's 2 goals lift Libertyville over Fremd and into supersectionals
- BataviaFuneral set for Kane County police dog killed in shootout
- Prep SportsAbbott draws kudos in Benet's sectional championship victory
- Prep SportsGirls soccer: Freshmen help Lake Forest knock out St. Viator in sectional championship game
- 1:06 AMChicago's Painted Ladies Competition recognizes value in repainting a home's exterior
- 12:56 AM'It Sounds Like Summer' at the Huntley Area Public Library
- 12:51 AMFrom Santa to suicide: Addressing the youth mental health crisis in America
- 12:48 AMAdvocate neurosurgeon talks about why 'warning strokes' require emergency attention
- 12:46 AMFox River Arts Ramble features art, food and music June 3
- 12:21 AMSkillsUSA Illinois names ECC's Carriveau board chairman
- 11:43 PMFoundation awards grants to Villa Park Elementary District 45 staff
- 11:35 PMVilla Park police joins Illinois 'Click It or Ticket' campaign to save lives
Inside Daily Herald