Columns | What suburban school districts are paying to attract substitute teachers
On average, 100 suburban school districts are paying substitute teachers a base daily wage of $132, with many providing additional loyalty bonuses or higher wages for long-term jobs, but many administrators say they're still often short-handed.
Columns | Jim O'Donnell: Online series about Arlington Park auctions is Kleenex reading for someThe "Going, going ... GONE! The Auctioning of Arlington Park," three-part series is must reading for anyone interested in further grasping the cold, calloused ways of Churchill Downs Inc. It's not appointment reading for all. But it is sure to be Kleenex reading for some.
News | Enough appeal? Elgin Mall move to old East Dundee Dominick's gets planners' support, not mayor'sWith the clock ticking on a lease that's about to expire, owners of the Elgin Mall got one step closer to making East Dundee their new home after planners gave the move their support. East Dundee Village President Jeff Lynam, however, isn't so sure.
Columns | Now retired as Chicago Fed president, suburbanite Charles Evans helped guide the U.S. economy through turbulent timesAfter 15 years as Chicago Fed president, Charles Evans has earned a chance to relax and reflect.
Lifestyle | Good News Sunday: Wauconda firefighters brave icy conditions to rescue doe from Fox RiverWauconda Fire District firefighters recently rescued a deer stuck in the Fox River just north of Rawson Bridge, near the Broken Oar Marina Bar & Grill.
NFL | Lincicome: Silly Super Bowl pregame hoopla all part of the week's sideshowBernie Lincicome says the Super Bowl preview, from now until kickoff, consistently stretches the human limits of nonsense, enterprise, invention and brass.
Crime | Prosecutors seek additional conditions on Huntley Dairy Mart owner charged with child pornMcHenry County prosecutors are asking a judge to place additional pretrial conditions on a Huntley business owner charged with growing psychedelic mushrooms in the basement of his Crystal Lake home, illegally possessing guns and creating child pornography.
News | Head-on crash kills one driver near Lake VillaOne person was killed and another critically injured in a two-car collision near Lake Villa on Friday night.
Business | BizWeek: O'Hare Airport's 'new' terminal; Another roller rink to closeThe Week in Business: O'Hare Airport has a new Terminal 5; Lombard Roller Rink will close and the property has been put up for sale.
News | Naperville man charged with felony after sexual assault at Lisle athletic clubA Naperville man was charged with predatory criminal sexual assault involving a child at Central Park Athletic Club in Lisle.
News | SUV crashes into Bloomingdale bank, severing gas line and causing a fireAn SUV crashed into a Chase Bank in Bloomingdale Friday, severing a gas main and causing an explosion and fire that lasted for hours.
News | Truck plows into Carpentersville house in hit-and-run crashCarpentersville police seek information on a hit-and-run crash into a house that occurred early Saturday morning.
- 5:44 PMValentine's Day 2023: It's not too early to make dining plans
- 4:58 PMAnti-abortion activists push GOP presidential hopefuls to back federal limits
- 3:10 PMOne person dies in a fire at a Palatine condominium
- 7:22 AMPope encourages South Sudanese, will raise plight of women
- 7:22 AMChina plays down Blinken's canceled visit over balloon
More Suburban News Find your community
- LakemoorApproval sought in Lakemoor for village's first marijuana dispensary
- Aurora'He was a sweetheart': Aurora zoo mourns death of Tonka the cougar
- LifestyleCrystal Lake woman takes in pregnant golden retriever and soon fosters 13 puppies
- Special ReportA united lobbying front: District 214 hopes to partner with 211, 15 over potential tax breaks
- CrimeFormer president of Elmhurst church charged with stealing from donations
- PoliticsHow much did your congressional representative get from special interests?
- AuroraMan gets 67 years for trying to kill ex's new boyfriend in Aurora
- Elk Grove VillageNancy Joanne Czarnik, longtime Elk Grove Village trustee, lived life with gusto
- SchaumburgPolice: Two in custody after fight at Schaumburg Convention Center
- AuroraSecond man sentenced to 50 years in prison for West Chicago slaying
- WheelingWoman dies crossing Wolf Road after being struck by two vehicles
- CrimeElmhurst man pleads guilty to having child pornography
- 12:52 AMApply for Elmhurst Area AAUW scholarships by April 15
- 12:38 AMPilobolus brings the exclusive Chicago engagement of its "Big Five Oh!" tour to the MAC Feb. 5
- 12:10 AMNicor Gas commits $250,000 to support National Energy Education Development Project's Energizing Student Potential initiative
- 12:01 AMDowners Grove's Oak Trace Senior Living hosts 'Hearts & Heroes' program for Valentine's Day
- 10:56 PMAurora University to host presidential historian in 'A Conversation with Doris Kearns Goodwin'
- 10:50 PMHuntley's inaugural Running of the Elves 5K a success
- 9:36 PMFoundation awards mini-grants to Villa Park Elementary District 45 staff
- 9:24 PMLeague of Women Voters of Central Kane County to host Feb. 16 candidate forum for Geneva races
Inside Daily Herald