News | Wheaton man is the best giant-pumpkin grower in Illinois, but he wants a 2,000-pound gourd
Every season, pumpkin grower extraordinaire Joe Adkins gets a little closer to his goal of growing a 2,000-pound pumpkin in the backyard of his Wheaton home. With this year's giant, 1,760-pound gourd, he's the closest he's ever been.
Columns | Why Lake County's top prosecutor isn't bailing on the SAFE-T ActLake County State's Attorney Eric Rinehart is the only top prosecutor in the collar counties -- and one of just two in Illinois -- not calling for a full repeal, significant changes or at least a delay in the state's plan to eliminate cash bail as of Jan. 1. Here's why Rinehart isn't bailing on the SAFE-T Act.
Politics | Bailey, Pritzker spend first debate calling each other liars over crime, taxes, education, gunsGov. J.B. Pritzker and his Republican challenger Darren Bailey used an hourlong debate Thursday finding different ways to call each other "liar." They disagreed on the state budget, abortion and regulating guns as well as crime -- particularly the justice system overhaul Pritzker signed last year known as the SAFE-T Act.
News | Native American flag request tests Arlington Heights library policyAfter the Pride flag flew outside the Arlington Heights Memorial Library in June, a flag to recognize Native American Heritage Month is set to be hoisted in November.
News | Subdivision residents object to proposed pedestrian bridge connecting Mount Prospect parksA long-standing proposal to build a pedestrian bridge over Northwest Highway in Mount Prospect is facing new criticism from a group of residents.
Prep Football | High school football: Five storylines to watch in Week 7Here's five storylines to watch heading into Week 7 of the high school football season.
Transportation | Elgin developments would double traffic near Otter Creek Elementary SchoolThe second of two Elgin residential development projects that will double the traffic on the southwest side's Hopps Road faced opposition this week from long-time residents near Otter Creek Elementary School.
Crime | Pair charged with felonies after Wood Dale gunfireTwo men were charged with felonies after shots were fired late Tuesday afternoon on the 200 block of Ash Avenue in Wood Dale, authorities said Thursday.
News | Two plans emerge for new industrial, business developments in GrayslakeTwo projects that could add a combined 140,000 square feet in new industrial building space are working through the approval process in the village of Grayslake.
Cook County | Preckwinkle's $8.75 billion budget comes with no tax, fee hikesCook County Board President Toni Preckwinkle is presenting an $8.75 billion budget recommendation with no tax or fee hikes, but it comes in $18.2 million short of expected expenses.
Politics | Underwood, Gryder differ on immigration and more during joint interviewDemocratic U.S. Rep. Lauren Underwood and Republican challenger Scott Gryder argued about immigration, gun control, the 2021 attack on the U.S. Capitol and other topics during a joint online interview Thursday.
Chicago | Chicagoans swear an average of 17 times a day, survey findsChicago has a low ranking among major U.S. cities in daily swear word usage, according to a survey released this week.
- 10:29 AMOrg. of American States boss faces probe over relationship
- 10:27 AMRobin Roberts, George Stephanopoulos hit milestone on 'GMA'
- 10:24 AMStocks slump on fears about rates, recession after jobs data
- 10:22 AMMexico president taps tax agency head for Economy Department
- 10:20 AMNorthern Indiana residents warned about mosquito-borne virus
More Suburban News Find your community
- NapervilleNaperville approves $4 million for 248th Avenue noise walls
- WaukeganKilling of Waukegan man in Beach Park under investigation
- NapervilleNaperville police say school threat post part of wide hoax
- Lake CountyEnvironment, mental health among priorities for Lake County Board District 6 candidates
- PoliticsWatch House, Senate candidates within Senate District 26 discuss SAFE-T Act, state finances, more
- Lake in the HillsDriver in crash that killed 17-year-old Lake in the Hills teenager being sued by family
- ElginThree Elgin churches to help with free food distribution Saturday
- St. CharlesFall spirit on display at 37th annual St. Charles Scarecrow Weekend
- Prep FootballScouting Week 7 Lake County football games
- Prep FootballScouting Week 7 Cook County football games
- Prep FootballScouting Week 7 DuPage County football games
- Prep FootballScouting Week 7 Fox football games
- 10:57 AM14th annual Silver Games at Friendship Village
- 9:40 AMIABC hosts Gandhi Jayanti & Book Release ceremony with Author Dr. Kiran Bedi in Chicago
- 9:34 AM'Tis the season for cooking tips at Schaumburg Library
- 9:25 AMOct. 13: CLC to host Illinois Regional College Fair
- 9:23 AMNorthwestern Mutual's Chicago-area firms donate $50,000 to Ronald McDonald House Charities in honor of company's decade-long commitment to fighting childhood cancer
- 9:20 AMFree virtual class with live Q&A looks at cancer and benefits of exercise
- 9:19 AMNicor Gas awards $100,000 in grants to support community enrichment initiatives across its service territory
- 9:03 AMGot Coats? GLMV 2022 Coat Drive For Vets Now Underway
Inside Daily Herald