Special Report | Pride and joy of Illinois? Leading state business group makes case for Bears tax break
As a draft of legislation that would give the Chicago Bears a massive property tax break at Arlington Park emerges in Springfield, the NFL franchise has a major backer in its corner. Illinois Chamber of Commerce President and CEO Todd Maisch's lobbying pitch to legislators is practically a version of the "Bear Down, Chicago Bears" fight song, which famously proclaims the team as the "pride and joy of Illinois."
Pro Sports | Super Bowl is set: Chiefs top Bengals 23-20, will face EaglesThe Chiefs finally managed to beat the Bengals after three straight losses
Business | It's 'sheer madness,' but Valentine's Day provides a sweet spot for suburban retailers"They're looking for the one item their love loves," according to one suburban retailer. So local stores are getting ready for Valentine's Day.
News | Catholic parishes in Prospect Heights, Mount Prospect to consolidateSt. Alphonsus Liguori in Prospect Heights and St. Thomas Becket in Mount Prospect will unite as one parish with two worship sites, one pastor and one pastoral team, effective July 1, the Archdiocese of Chicago announced over the weekend.
News | Top dogs: Canines from across the country compete in GrayslakeThousands of canines, along with their human pals, traveled from across the country to the Lake County Fairgrounds and Event Center in Grayslake over the weekend to see who ranked as top dog at the Cool Cluster Dog Show.
Transportation | Why is it taking so long to bring electric school buses into suburban fleets?The electric vehicle, a technology in the making for decades, is one of the hottest topics of the current movement to decarbonize and fight climate change. But while personal EVs are not uncommon, electric school buses are a much rarer sight.
News | Some practical tips to keep pets safe during coyote mating seasonOwners of cats and small dogs are reminded to be more vigilant during coyote mating season.
Columns | Fremd student expands mission to encourage girls to pursue STEM careersRuby Arun, a sophomore at William Fremd High School in Palatine, is growing her mission to inspire girls to pursue careers in STEM fields.
News | Suburban Skyview: Snow globe world encompases a group of dog walkersIn this week's Suburban Skyview column, A light dusting of snow surrounds people as the walk their dogs at Fox River Bluff West Forest Preserve in St. Charles
News | 'An indelible mark on Aurora': Fred Rodgers, tireless champion for young people, diesAurora has lost a civic icon who spent decades guiding the city's young people onto the path of success. Fred Rodgers, a fierce champion and advocate for youth, died early Saturday morning, Aurora Mayor Richard Irvin announced.
Lake County | Coroner: Remains found in Libertyville identified, foul play not suspectedHuman remains discovered in November in Libertyville have been identified and foul play is not suspected in the death, according to a news release from the Lake County Coroner's Office.
Crime | Two shot in reported drive-by shooting in BartlettPolice are investigating after two people with gunshot wounds walked into the Streamwood police station Saturday night treporting they were victims of a drive-by shooting in neighboring Bartlett.
- 10:09 PMBarrett Strong, Motown artist known for 'Money,' dies at 81
- 5:56 PM'Avatar 2' tops box office for 7th weekend
- 5:55 PMActor Annie Wersching dies at 45
- 10:16 AMLOOK: The Week in Pictures gallery for January 23-29, 2023
- 9:06 AMGood News Sunday: Lincolnshire woman aims to curb loneliness one handwritten letter at a time
More Suburban News Find your community
- St. CharlesSt. Charles home featured in upcoming "House Hunters"
- LisleLisle police arrest men accused of holding guns outside convenience store
- EducationReception for outgoing District 214 superintendent on Feb. 9
- GurneeGurnee police warn of scam involving fake cops
- AntiochAntioch home uninhabitable after fire
- NapervilleNaperville attorney appointed judge in DuPage County
- SchaumburgQuestions at District 211 candidates forum focus on use of controversial sex ed curriculum
- Des PlainesAfter controversy, mayor says standards coming for Des Plaines Theatre bookings
- ElginElgin man charged with stalking middle schoolers
- NewsLampinen leads new vision as president of Northern Illinois News Association
- SchaumburgPolice: Teens face kidnapping charges after putting woman in a small storage closet
- Round LakeRound Lake 12-year-old earns Junior Miss Earth USA 2023 title
- 11:36 AMGlenbard Parent Series speaker to discuss expanding students' capacity Feb. 1
- 11:22 AMDistrict 300 students to premiere 'Magical Forest' composition written by Mexican composer
- 11:00 AMSt. Charles North Theatre opens winter comedy 'Puffs' Feb. 2
- 10:16 AMAAUW Crystal Lake Area Branch to host Ada Cheng's 'Our Words, Our Truths' Feb. 4
- 3:09 PMYork Drama to present classic and contemporary takes on the seminal drama '12 Angry Men'
- 2:16 PMStreamwood Park District Commissioner Wright Honored
- 1:40 PMSinging valentines are back for sweethearts in the western suburbs and beyond
- 1:21 PMChicago's Role in the Underground Railroad Highlights Black History Month at the NSYMCA
Inside Daily Herald