Cook County | State reports 17 more deaths, 4,729 new cases. Indoor dining in suburban Cook County to be suspended
New COVID-19 cases at 4,729 and new deaths at 17. Indoor dining at suburban Cook County restaurants and bars will be suspended effective Wednesday as the region joins a growing list of locations across Illinois where surging COVID-19 cases have triggered restrictions.
News | Haymarket seeks 'major reset' on bid to open treatment center in ItascaHaymarket Center hopes to push the reset button on a bid to open an addiction treatment facility in Itasca now that the village will restart the zoning process this week after a nearly yearlong hiatus.
Illinois | Medical professionals push back after Trump says COVID-19 cases are inflated to 'get more money'Medical professionals are pushing back after President Donald Trump accused "doctors and hospitals" of inflating COVID-19 patient counts to "get more money" during a campaign rally Saturday in Wisconsin.
Crime | Arlington Heights police investigating swastika graffitiArlington Heights police confirmed Monday they are investigating a report of a swastika drawn outside a condominium building in the village. It is the latest of several hate-related incidents reported in the village this year.
Lake County | Waukegan mayor, Stinnette family preach patience at prayer vigilWaukegan Mayor Sam Cunningham and a spokesperson for the family of Marcellis Stinnette urged people gathered for a prayer vigil Sunday in memory of the Black teen killed by a police officer to let the process of justice take its due course.
News | Suburbs see first snow of the seasonThe first snow of the season fell Monday around the suburbs.
News | The debate over granting landmark status to David C Cook property in ElginThe Elgin City Council is scheduled to vote Nov. 4 whether to grant landmark status to the David C Cook building on North Grove Avenue, against the wishes of the property's owner. Historic district neighbors want to preserve the 119-year-old building.
DuPage County | Republicans say DuPage County voting machines favor DemocratsIllinois and DuPage County Republican leaders claim county voting machines are giving Democratic candidates and causes an unfair advantage at the polls by highlighting their names on touch screens while voters cast their ballots.
News | 'We are in a crisis stage': Coronavirus deaths are rising again in the U.S., as fearedDeaths per day from the coronavirus in the U.S. are on the rise again, just as health experts had feared, and cases are climbing in nearly every state, despite assurances from President Donald Trump over the weekend that "we're rounding the turn, we're doing great."
News | How suburban homeowners are getting crafty to keep trick-or-treaters happyTo ensure a safe Halloween for trick-or-treaters, suburban homeowners are getting creative with individually devised candy delivery systems.
DuPage County | Towns set trick-or-treat hours and offer printable signs for homeownersHalloween is Saturday, Oct. 31. This year, most suburbs are requiring masks (not just scary ones) for trick-or-treaters. Many are offering printable signs for those who wish to inform trick-or-treaters that their household is opting out of giving candy.
Columns | Feder: Radio legend Ron Britain diesRon Britain, a gifted radio performer with a brilliantly creative mind and a sensitive soul, left a legacy of laughter for generations of Chicago listeners.
- 3:56 PMCoronavirus deaths are rising again in the US, as feared
- 3:54 PM60,000 in Southern California to evacuate after blaze grows
- 3:50 PMTom Cotton is campaigning hard, just not for reelection
- 3:44 PMStocks have their worst day in a month as virus cases surge
- 3:34 PMDavid Braley, longtime force and CFL club owner, dies at 79
More Suburban News Find your community
- Lake CountyCOVID-19 mobile testing in Lake County
- SchaumburgDespite decline in sales taxes, Schaumburg plans no property tax increase
- NapervilleNaperville order allows recreational, lifestyle facilities to sell packaged alcohol
- Rolling MeadowsNo tree lighting ceremony in Rolling Meadows, but new decorations planned
- AddisonFire guts home in Addison, no one injured
- PoliticsSchneider releases first TV ad; challenger Ramirez Mukherjee avoiding the airwaves
- InglesideDental records reveal identity of body found at Harvard conservation area
- Long GrovePet parade celebrates howl-oween in Long Grove
- WheelingLuxury dog boarding, pet spa opens Tuesday in Wheeling
- SchaumburgSchaumburg named 'Municipality of Year' for development activity
- WaukeganThree injured in Waukegan shooting
- Fox River GroveWhen 7 died after train hit school bus in Fox River Grove: 'Just something we can't forget'
- 2:10 PMAntioch home lauded by Chicago's Finest Painted Ladies Competition
- 1:19 PMBloomingdale Park District wins Power of the Parks Award
- 12:45 PMWheeling Park District now taking petitions for four commissioner seats
- 12:41 PMNorthbrook Youth Theater to stage Halloween musical
- 12:36 PMWheeling Park District offers family fun during November
- 11:38 AMCollege of DuPage gets IDEAS grant to diversify study abroad experiences
- 9:07 AMOptions Fair open to Leyden community members with disabilities
- 8:44 AMNew Principal Guides St. Emily School Amid Covid-19 Pandemic
A lot of suburbanites voted early at many locations in The Week in Pictures photo gallery for October 17-23, 2020.
Through the Film Magnifier: Chubby Checker, Harrison Ford, Astronaut Jim Lovell and Dance Fever contestants
Inside Daily Herald