Business | Regal Cinemas' final showings in Lincolnshire the latest in the trend of movie theaters closing
Regal Cinemas in Lincolnshire is closing after 24 years. The news comes after Regal Cinemas' parent company, Cineworld, announced the closure of 39 locations starting Feb. 15 as part of bankruptcy proceedings, while the Lincolnshire closure hadn't been announced.
Crime | Smash-and-grab robbers take thousands of dollars of jewelry from Arlington Heights storeThree thieves stole thousands of dollars worth of merchandise from a downtown Arlington Heights jewelry store Wednesday, police said Thursday.
Business | 'Historic night for Naperville': City council poised to pass Affordable Housing Incentive PlanAfter years of attempts to formulate an acceptable plan, the Naperville City Council is poised to pass an ordinance granting incentives for developers to build affordable housing in the city.
Columns | Does bail reform lead to more crime? What 2 Loyola University professors foundAmid last year's contentious debate over the SAFE-T Act and the elimination of cash bail in Illinois, a pair of Loyola University Chicago criminal justice professors set out to determine whether bail reform does, as some claimed, lead to more crime. Here's what they found.
Columns | Upcoming doc captures the persevering spirit of Libertyville's Ike ReillyRocker Ike Reilly could be a character in one of his own songs -- the gritty, persistent working man's poet who can't seem to catch his big break. An upcoming documentary, "Don't Turn Your Back on Friday Night," looks at the outspoken bard's life, his music career and his family.
News | 'An inspiration to us all': 90-year old Crystal Lake man still runs 3 miles a dayGeorge Diedrichs, a Crystal Lake man who just celebrated his 90th birthday, inspires his neighbors by running three miles each and every day regardless of the weather outside.
News | Housing, retail, recreation, conservation options on the table for three sites in ElginMore than 100 residents attended Elgin's first public input meeting this week for the North Grove Redevelopment Area. The area is made up of approximately 38 acres of mostly vacant land on three separate sites near the Fox River.
Education | Embattled District 64 superintendent backed by community members at meetingAbout a dozen audience members at Thursday's Park Ridge-Niles District 64 board meeting rose to support embattled Superintendent Eric Olson.
Boys' Basketball | Boys basketball: Suchy, Fremd flip switch in nailbiting win over BarringtonCaiden Suchy and Fremd flipped on the lights Thursday. Suchy was stuck in the bench in the first half in foul trouble. He escaped to score all of his ten points in the second half to lead the Vikings to a thrilling 62-60 win over Barrington in Palatine.
News | Japanese robotics firm aims to launch warehouse revolution from SchaumburgA Tokyo-based company seeking to revolutionize the efficiency of warehouses around the world through the assistance of skilled robots is taking its first steps in Schaumburg.
News | St. Cecilia, St. Colette will be consolidated into one parishSt. Cecilia Church in Mount Prospect and St. Colette Church in Rolling Meadows will be consolidated into one parish starting July 1, the Archdiocese of Chicago announced Thursday. Both church buildings will continue to host regular Masses but will have only one pastor and pastoral team.
Politics | Wauconda, Lakemoor asking voters for home-rule authorityVoters in Lakemoor and Wauconda will get to decide whether their respective communities should have home-rule authority, allowing them to impose a local gas or sales tax.
- 12:27 PMMemphis anticipates release of video in Tyre Nichols' arrest
- 11:00 AMFatal shooting at Azerbaijan Embassy in Iran raises tensions
- 11:00 AMAuschwitz anniversary marked as peace again shattered by war
- 10:58 AMUkraine: 10 killed in latest Russian shelling
- 10:41 AMHarrison Ford inspires cast in new Apple TV+ comedy 'Shrinking'
More Suburban News Find your community
- Round LakePolice: Impaired driver caused crash that killed Round Lake man, son
- BataviaBatavia police investigating west-side car burglaries
- ElginElgin museum to honor late educator "Miss Marge" Saturday
- SchaumburgMcHenry County man charged with leaving the scene of I-90 crash near Schaumburg
- AuroraTwo Aurora men charged in carjacking
- EducationGeneva school district promoting assistant superintendent to top job
- Boys' BasketballBoys basketball: Handy, Meadows have blast in blowout win over Hersey
- Girls' BasketballSlagle explodes for 16 points, 14 rebounds as Geneva outlasts St. Charles North
- Girls' GymnasticsGirls gymnastics: Libertyville edges Mundelein in North Suburban Conference meet
- Boys' BasketballBoys basketball: Suchy, Fremd flip switch in nailbiting win over Barrington
- Prep WrestlingBoys wrestling: McHenry bests Dundee-Crown 54-19, wins Fox Valley Conference title
- Girls' BasketballCarmel cruises to win on senior night
- 10:15 AMMundelein Executive Assistant Formally Thanked for 27 Years of Dedicated Service
- 10:15 AMFremont School District 79 Principals Earn Recognition from Illinois Principals Association
- 10:15 AMLocal Business Earns the Ricoh Circle of Excellence Certification for 2023
- 10:07 AMOrthodontic Experts Welcomes Our Newest Doctor to the Rockford and DeKalb Communities!
- 9:18 AMThe Tranel Financial Group is pleased to announce the promotion of Tyler Braun to Director of Financial Planning
- 9:12 AMArlington Heights native receives 30 under 30 recognition
- 10:38 PMLombard church to host smartphone class Feb. 9
- 7:28 PMRoselle Public Library District holds referendum info sessions
Inside Daily Herald