Education | 'Hello, Kate? It's Jill Biden': First lady invites Arlington Heights teen to State of the Union
Rolling Meadows High School 10th-grader Kate Foley, who's specializing in computer-integrated manufacturing studies, is among 26 guests who will have a close-up view of President Joe Biden's speech, thanks to the first lady.
News | Geneva factory explosion leads to chemical fire, evacuationsNobody was injured after an explosion and chemical fire Tuesday afternoon at a factory in Geneva that drew scores of firefighters and a hazmat team.
News | 'Everybody loves Charlotte': Libertyville community supports 10-year-old girl with rare cancerThe Libertyville community is coming together for 10-year-old Charlotte Frank, a fifth-grader at Copeland Manor School, who has a rare type of cancer.
Special Report | State senator from Arlington Heights files Bears bill as a 'starting point' on tax incentivesLegislation that would give the Chicago Bears a massive property tax break to redevelop Arlington Park has a surprise sponsor: Democratic state Sen. Ann Gillespie of Arlington Heights, who said she's open to the concept if it comes with her long-sought reforms to tax-increment financing.
Girls' Basketball | Barrington's Barreiro hits 500 milestoneIllinois High School Association Hall of Famer Babbi Barreiro says she feels very lucky to serve as the Barrington girls basketball coach.
Commercial Real Estate | Palatine to offer grants to improve downtown buildingsPalatine is going to offer businesses within the downtown tax increment financing district grants to help pay for exterior improvements.
News | It hasn't been a good year for ice fishingWarm weather has left ice in McHenry County too thin for anglers for most of the winter so far. The peak ice-fishing season in northern Illinois is January and February. In a good year, there may be a week or two in December or even into March if the weather stays cold where the ice is strong enough to support both people and a shack.
Commercial Real Estate | Renovation approved for 40-year-old White Castle in Hoffman EstatesA 40-year-old White Castle in Hoffman Estates will be renovated inside and out this year, with a particular emphasis on expanding the capacity of the drive-through where business has been more concentrated since the pandemic.
Crime | Man accused of shooting at 5 youths in Mount Prospect ordered held without bailA man who authorities say fired at five youngsters between the ages of 10 and 17 last October near a Mount Prospect park was ordered held without bail on attempted first-degree murder charges.
Business | Plan to renovate Lake Zurich Fritzl's site for new firehouse-themed restaurant approvedMuch of the old Fritzl's restaurant on Rand Road in Lake Zurich will be demolished to make way for a new firehouse-themed restaurant following approval by village leaders.
News | Biden in State of Union exhorts Congress: 'Finish the job' of uniting the nationPresident Joe Biden is using his State of the Union address Tuesday night to call on Republicans to work with him to "finish the job" of rebuilding the economy and uniting the nation as he seeks to overcome pessimism in the country and navigate political divisions in Washington.
Crime | Judge decides not to dismiss murder charges in 2021 Elmhurst stabbingA DuPage County judge on Tuesday denied a motion to dismiss murder charges against a Lombard man who claims he acted in self-defense.
- 6:53 AMBiden speech take-aways: More conciliation than conflict
- 6:46 AMU.S., states weigh farmland restrictions after Chinese balloon
- 6:45 AMInternational team suspends investigation into MH17 downing
- 6:42 AMToxic gases connected to Ohio train derailment cause concern
- 6:42 AMChina says it was smeared in Biden State of the Union speech
More Suburban News Find your community
- Mount ProspectPark City pair accused of stealing mail across the region
- Villa ParkVilla Park boy accused of threatening to shoot people at school
- AntiochPerson falls through thin ice on Antioch Lake
- Mount ProspectVigil in Mount Prospect for victims of earthquake in Turkey, Syria
- AuroraMan found guilty of raping woman, pushing pregnant teen who witnessed assault
- CrimeThieves steal nearly $13,000 in items from Arlington Hts. beauty store
- Des PlainesDes Plaines officials could go to court to forcibly purchase former bank
- Villa ParkVilla Park village board candidate gets to stay on ballot
- Girls' BasketballGeneva completes 2nd straight perfect DuKane season
- Boys' BasketballBurlington Central takes 2-game lead in FVC race
- Boys' BasketballImproving McHenry stuns Huntley
- Boys' BasketballLakes downs Grayslake Central, ties for NLCC lead
- 8:01 PMLaugh off the winter blues with 'The Best of The Second City" at The MAC Feb. 11
- 7:29 PMWednesday Night Gathering to offer free food, sandwich making, Spanish-language lessons
- 7:12 PMAurora church's pancake breakfast to benefit quilters
- 6:17 PMJazz at Lincoln Center brings 'Songs We Love' to the MAC Feb. 19
- 6:16 PMCandidate forum for Aurora 6th Ward Alderman set for Feb. 8
- 2:16 PMOrphans' relaunches dog foster program
- 2:13 PMNSYMCA Receives $120K Grant from the Buehler Family Foundation for New Inclusive Equipment & Weight Room Floor Repairs
- 2:06 PMJoin Arlington Heights Historical Society for its Team Trivia night
Inside Daily Herald