News | 'I feel a lot younger': Gurnee man, daughter climbing Mount Kilimanjaro for his 60th birthday
Gurnee business owner Layne Pollard and his daughter, Jorie, are on an epic adventure to celebrate his 60th birthday by hiking to the 19,341-foot summit of Mount Kilimanjaro in Africa.
Special Report | Naperville mayor, councilman hold second meeting with Bears officialsIn a sign of deepening ties between the city of Naperville and the Chicago Bears, Mayor Scott Wehrli participated in a second meeting with team officials -- this time with Councilman Benny White -- to discuss building an NFL stadium in Naperville rather than Arlington Heights.
Lake County | Link finally admits he wore a wire to secretly record fellow lawmaker in 2018Former state Sen. Terry Link publicly acknowledged for the first time this week that he'd worn a wire to secretly record a fellow lawmaker in 2019.
Crime | Trump stored, showed off and refused to return classified documents, indictment saysDonald Trump improperly stored in his Florida estate sensitive documents on nuclear capabilities, repeatedly enlisted aides and lawyers to help him hide records demanded by investigators, and cavalierly showed off a Pentagon "plan of attack" and classified map, according to a sweeping felony indictment that paints a damning portrait of the former president's treatment of national security information.
Prep Sports | Baseball: Rams making Grayslake community proud by reaching 3A state title gameThere will be no call to "Play Ball" for youth baseball Saturday in Grayslake.
News | Leaders of Great Lakes cities, including Waukegan and Zion, converge to address climate actionIt's time for Illinois communities to prepare for climate change. That was the key message of this year's Great Lakes and St. Lawrence Cities Initiative annual meeting this month.
Business | New pizzeria brings steampunk vibe, attitude to ElginRogue's Corner, a steampunk-themed pizza restaurant, will open Tuesday at 109 E. Highland Ave. in the former home of Red Poppy Bistro. The same ownership team from that restaurant, husband and wife Matthew Habib and Jennifer Polit, are at the helm again.
Politics | Illinois adopts new LGBTQ+ protectionsGov. J.B. Pritzker on Friday signed into law two measures aimed at safeguarding the rights of LGBTQ+ people as other states move in the opposite direction, just days after the Human Rights Campaign declared a state of emergency for LGBTQ+ Americans.
Commercial Real Estate | Des Plaines seeking tenants for downtown building that once was a Masonic templeDes Plaines officials are seeking tenants for the former Leela Arts Center and Masonic temple building.
Education | How a South Elgin graduate is moving beyond a marred momentSouth Elgin High School graduate Stephanie Pedroza looks forward to her future and is optimstic change is in store as it relates to the regalia students can wear at graduation.
Crime | Ted Kaczynski, known as the Unabomber, has died in federal prison at 81Theodore "Ted" Kaczynski, the Harvard-educated mathematician who retreated to a dingy shack in the Montana wilderness and ran a 17-year bombing campaign that killed three people and injured 23 others, died Saturday. He was 81.
Dining | Now's the time to make suburban dining plans for Father's DayImpress dad by planning a special brunch, lunch or dinner outing for Father's Day (hint: it's Sunday, June 18) in advance. There are many suburban restaurants that already have plans in the works, and reservations are being taken now.
- 12:56 PMTrump set for first public appearances since federal indictment with speeches to GOP conventions
- 12:56 PMThis school reopened quickly after COVID. Kids' reading was still behind
- 12:56 PMPride is back in Boston as parade returns after quarrel over inclusivity
- 12:56 PMTrump's GOP defenders in Congress leap into action on charges after months of preparation
- 12:50 PM4 children, including a baby, survived a plane crash and 40 days alone in the Amazon jungle
Recommended for You
More Suburban News Find your community
- Kane CountyKane County quarry neighbors fear expansion of operating hours
- HuntleyHuntley police subdue 'out of control' man
- WheatonNew trail joins DuPage forest preserve biking network with Wheaton neighborhood
- Mount ProspectMount Prospect man accused of firing shots into the air
- CrimeArmed robbery reported in Park Ridge
- BataviaOpen house Monday for ideas for new Batavia parks center
- Prep SportsSoftball: Lemont powers past Benet in Class 3A semifinal
- Prep SportsBaseball: York tripped up by defending champ Edwardsville in Class 4A semifinal
- Prep SportsSoftball: Antioch makes school history, sets up state rematch with Lemont
- Prep SportsSoftball: Powerful Marist knocks off Barrington again
- Prep SportsGirls soccer: Brooke Brown, Cook County All-Area Captain
- Prep SportsGirls soccer: Bella Najera, Fox All-Area Captain
- 12:20 AMHundreds turn out for Warhol Aurora Summer Kickoff
- 11:25 PMTake a trolley ride through history at Fox River Trolley Museum's Rails to Victory June 10-11
- 10:48 PMFabulous Fox! Water Trail designated as National Water Trail
- 9:04 PMBenton Street Summer Concert Series brings music, food and drinks to downtown Woodstock
- 5:41 PMArtist Series presents 'What's More American Than Broadway' with Mark Olen
- 5:27 PMCollege of DuPage, Concordia University offer EMS students pathway for career advancement in health care leadership
- 1:46 PMCarol Stream Park District commissioner trains at statewide seminar
- 12:21 PMOne Hope United raises over $155,000 to further support its mission
Inside Daily Herald