News | Chicago put on COVID-19 restrictions as hospitalizations soar; Lake, McHenry counties next?
Chicago is joining many areas of the suburbs and downstate Illinois in facing tightened restrictions on business operations and public gatherings because of a resurgence of COVID-19.
News | Elk Grove Village plans another round of $200 water bill creditsWhile discussions in Washington have stalled over a second federal stimulus bill, residents in one Northwest suburban community are expected to be on the receiving end of that town's second coronavirus relief package since the pandemic took hold.
Business | Geneva restaurant on legal fight against dining ban: 'We want to do it the right way'The day after a judge allowed FoxFire Restaurant in Geneva to offer indoor dining while fighting Gov. J.B. Pritzker's recent ban, several other eateries in the city's downtown were serving customers indoors.
Business | Plans to demolish, replace Hawthorn Mall Sears ready for public airingThe central elements of a long-anticipated $250 million makeover at Hawthorn Mall in Vernon Hills are moving from planning to practice.
News | Girlfriend gives her account of how Waukegan police shot at her and Marcellis StinnetteWith tears in her eyes, 20-year-old Tafara Williams sat up in her hospital bed Tuesday and told how a Waukegan police officer kept shooting at her and her boyfriend, even though, she said, both had their hands raised and were unarmed.
Girls' Basketball | Pritzker: High school basketball, wrestling 'on hold'As winter sports participants await word on the fate of the season, the Illinois Department of Public Health Tuesday updated its all sports policy, moving basketball from a medium risk sport to a higher risk sport, and Gov. J.B. Pritzker said basketball and wrestling are "on hold."
Cook County | 'Every single vote will be counted,' as Cook County on pace to 'shatter' early-voting, mail-in recordsWith early voting and requests for mail-in ballots already exceeding records, Cook County Clerk Karen Yarbrough provided an update Tuesday on the counting process, pledging that every vote would be tallied.
Cook County | Republican O'Brien outraises Democrat Foxx in Cook state's attorney raceIllinois State Board of Elections filings from last quarter show Patrick O'Brien, the Republican candidate for Cook County State's Attorney, has raised about $200,000 more than his opponent, Democratic incumbent Kim Foxx.
Crime | Hoffman Estates death under investigationHoffman Estates police are investigating after finding a body in a home Tuesday morning.
Columns | Feder: Newcity special edition celebrates best of Black ChicagoThe editors of Newcity have put a new twist on their annual "Best of Chicago" edition.
Business | Itasca mayor says village authorities won't enforce ban on indoor diningItasca Mayor Jeff Pruyn says village officials and police in town won't enforce a ban on indoor restaurant and bar service ordered by Gov. J.B. Pritzker to curb the spread of COVID-19.
News | Proposed downtown Glen Ellyn apartments, designed with pandemic in mind, to get first hearingA Glen Ellyn advisory panel next month will conduct the first public hearing on a proposal to construct a $30 million apartment building on the site of a former grocery store in downtown.
Business | Honda motorcycle dealership moving from Des Plaines to BarringtonA Honda dealership that sells motorcycles, scooters, all-terrain vehicles, utility vehicles and more is planning to move from Des Plaines to Barrington, whose village board approved an economic incentive agreement Monday night.
- 9:58 AMPeaceful protest gives way to more unrest in Philadelphia
- 9:50 AMGrains lower, livestock mixed
- 9:49 AMDeeper job cuts at Boeing as pandemic throttles air travel
- 9:49 AMLosses deepen for stocks, sending S&P 500 down more than 2%
- 9:39 AMJohn J. Reinert: Candidate profile, McHenry County Board District 2
More Suburban News Find your community
- GenevaState asks for Appellate Court to reverse decision by judge regarding indoor dining ban
- DuPage CountyDuPage court clerk candidates make their case
- ElginElgin car wash offers soapy scares for Halloween
- NapervilleFormer Naperville parks director remembered as 'iconic figure'
- Hoffman EstatesHoffman Estates' revenue losses not as bad as projected
- Mount ProspectMount Prospect agrees to additional spending on flood relief projects
- Kane CountyKane County businesses may get second chance at COVID-19 relief funds
- Lake CountyWork to winterize COVID-19 'intake trailer' at Lake County coroner's office underway
- DuPage CountyDuPage launches site to honor veterans
- AlgonquinAlgonquin suspends water and sewer rate hike
- Lake CountyLake County 211 system shows measurable results in first year
- WheelingWheeling police hosting 'Ghoul's Out' event Saturday
- 9:32 AMEight ways to support an Alzheimer's caregiver during National Family Caregivers Month
- 3:32 PMSt. Emily School Kindergarten students enjoyed an on-campus field trip to the pumpkin patch in October.
- 3:25 PMWith students facing continued restrictions on their activities, members of the Hersey High School Athletic Department saw a unique opportunity to lift spirits and provide the opportunity to bring different parts of the community together.
- 12:17 PMNaperville Park District Police asking for 2020 Toys for Tots donations
- 12:07 PMLocal chapter celebrates DAR Day of Service
- 10:21 AMWELSSA Announces Exemplary Accreditation of Faith Lutheran School in Antioch IL
- 9:47 AMDecision 2020 panel to offer election insight
- 9:45 AMCollege hunting during COVID-19: Many high school seniors are looking for the ideal college in less than ideal circumstances
A lot of suburbanites voted early at many locations in The Week in Pictures photo gallery for October 17-23, 2020.
Through the Film Magnifier: Chubby Checker, Harrison Ford, Astronaut Jim Lovell and Dance Fever contestants
Inside Daily Herald