Migrant camp along Texas border shrinks as removals ramp up
A camp where more than 14,000 migrants had waited along the Texas border just days ago was dramatically smaller Thursday, while across the river in Mexico, Haitian migrants in a growing camp awoke surrounded by security forces as a helicopter thundered overhead.
CDC panel's recommendation likely to get boosters going only for 65+, high-risk populationsAdvisers to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said boosters should be offered to people 65 and older, nursing home residents and those ages 50 to 64 who have risky underlying health problems. The extra dose would be given once they are at least six months past their last Pfizer shot.
U.S. special envoy to Haiti resigns over migrant expulsionsThe Biden administration's special envoy to Haiti has resigned, protesting "inhumane" large-scale expulsions of Haitian migrants to their homeland wracked by civil strife and natural disaster, U.S. officials said Thursday.
Tensions grow as U.S., allies deepen Indo-Pacific involvementWith increasingly strong talk in support of Taiwan, a new deal to supply Australia with nuclear submarines, and the launch of a European strategy for greater engagement in the Indo-Pacific, the U.S. and its allies are becoming more assertive in their approach toward a rising China.
EPA rule sharply limits HFCs, gases used as refrigerantsIn what officials call a key step to combat climate change, the Environmental Protection Agency is sharply limiting domestic production and use of hydrofluorocarbons, highly potent greenhouse gases commonly used in refrigerators and air conditioners.
UN: In war, 16 million Yemenis 'marching' toward starvationThe head of the U.N. food agency says 16 million people in Yemen are marching toward starvation and more funding is needed
Dozens of Afghan children arrive in Chicago after evacuationOfficials say dozens of Afghan children have arrived in Chicago as refugees evacuated from Afghanistan during the U.S. withdrawal continue to reach American cities
In Israel, relatives of cable car survivor ask for privacyRelatives of a six-year-old boy who survived a cable car crash in Italy are appealing for privacy during a custody battle
Ancient tablet acquired by Hobby Lobby going back to IraqIt was looted from an Iraqi museum 30 years ago, Now, a 3,500-year-old clay tablet discovered in the ruins of the library of an ancient Middle Eastern king is finally headed back to Iraq
UK police probe killing of woman walking alone in LondonBritish police investigating the killing of a 28-year-old woman in London say they are probing whether she was attacked by a stranger
The jail where Jeffrey Epstein killed himself is crumblingOnce hailed as a prototype for a new kind of federal jail and the most secure in the country, New York's Metropolitan Correctional Center has become a blighted wreck
Families of 3 men killed in Starved Rock explosion file lawsuitThe families of three Chicago men killed in an explosion near Starved Rock State Park have sued the construction companies and demolition team they believe left behind an undetonated explosive.
- 6:36 PM'Harry Potter' villain Tom Felton collapses at Ryder Cup celebrity match
- 6:34 PMNaperville police investigate jewelry store burglary
- 6:31 PMThree teenagers charged in Elmhurst car burglaries
- 6:28 PMStore attack: 'He kept on shooting, shooting, shooting'
- 6:25 PM'End of an era': Why organizers are putting the flame out on Eyes to the Skies for good
- 6:07 PMItasca taking time before final vote on Haymarket drug treatment center
- 6:00 PMBoyfriend of slain Gabby Petito charged with bank card fraud
More Suburban News
- Des PlainesDes Plaines man facing child pornography charges
- ItascaItasca taking time before final vote on Haymarket drug treatment center
- Villa ParkTwo men charged with carjacking woman in Villa Park
- PoliticsHearing delayed in school workers' court fight about COVID-19 vaccination mandate
- CrimeThree teenagers charged in Elmhurst car burglaries
- NapervilleGroundbreaking set for Naperville Gold Star Families Memorial Monument
- PalatinePolice: Palatine woman arrested after accosting teen
- Prospect HeightsPop-up art show Saturday in Prospect Heights
- Prep FootballScouting Week 5 football games in the Northwest suburbs
- Prep FootballPalatine's Olson selected as Chicago Bears Coach of the Week
- Prep FootballScouting Week 5 DuPage County football games
- Prep FootballScouting Week 5 football games in Lake County
- NapervilleNaperville police investigate jewelry store burglary
- Lisle'End of an era': Why organizers are putting the flame out on Eyes to the Skies for good
- LibertyvilleHyundai, Tesla joining the Libertyville Mile of Cars
Everything from 9/11 memorials to high school football is reflected in The Week in Pictures photo gallery for September 11-17, 2021.