France goes on maximum alert after attack at church kills 3
An attacker armed with a knife killed three people at a church Thursday in the Mediterranean city of Nice, French authorities said, prompting the prime minister to announce that France was raising its security alert status to the highest level.
U.S. economy grew at 33% rate in third quarter but recovery is incompleteThe U.S. economy grew at a sizzling 33.1% annual rate in the July-September quarter -- by far the largest quarterly gain on record -- rebounding from an epic plunge in the spring, when the eruption of the coronavirus closed businesses and threw tens of millions out of work.
Zeta barrels northeast after battering storm-weary coastNEW ORLEANS (AP) -- A fast-moving Zeta weakened to a tropical storm as it ripped through the South on Thursday morning, killing at least two, knocking out power to more than 2 million across the region and prompting a rare tropical storm warning for Atlanta. And officials said life-threatening conditions would last into the day.
Philadelphia shooting brings policing, racism back into campaignThe fatal shooting of another Black man on America's streets by police -- with subsequent unrest -- has brought the fraught issues of policing and racism in the nation back to the fore of the presidential election in its closing days.
Trump paints apocalyptic portrait of life in U.S. under BidenThe suburbs wouldn't be the suburbs anymore, the economy would sink into its worst depression ever and police departments would cease to exist. Even America's older adults would be left to figure out how to get by without heat, air conditioning or electricity.
Tanzanian opposition leader rejects presidential electionTanzania's leading opposition candidate is rejecting Wednesday's presidential vote after alleging widespread irregularities, saying that whatever happened was not an election and was like 'spitting in the face of democracy.'
Typhoon, landslides leave 35 dead, 59 missing in VietnamVietnam's state media say landslides set off by Typhoon Molave have killed at least 19 people and left 45 others missing in the country's central region
Philly shooting brings policing, racism back into campaignThe fatal shooting of another Black man on America's streets by police has brought the fraught issues of policing and racism back to the fore of the presidential election in its closing days
Short of medics as virus surges, central Europe sounds alarmWith coronavirus cases surging in many central European countries, soldiers, firefighters, students and retired doctors are being asked to help shore up buckling health care systems
Taking a stand has new meaning in heavily litigated electionThe United States is barreling toward Election Day in what is believed to be the most litigated race in American history
FBI warns ransomware assault threatens US healthcare systemFederal agencies say cybercriminals are unleashing a major ransomware assault against the U.S. healthcare system
India's coronavirus cases cross 8 million, behind USIndia's confirmed coronavirus toll has crossed 8 million with daily cases dipping to the lowest level this week
- 8:30 AMZeta barrels northeast after battering storm-weary coast
- 8:24 AMChickens to be culled after bird flu found on Dutch farm
- 7:54 AMThe Latest: Merkel condemns Nice attack, vigil planned
- 7:50 AMFrance goes on maximum alert after attack at church kills 3
- 7:48 AMWatch Waukegan police video: Only moments before, after Black couple were shot are captured
- 6:56 AMRoad trip: In Mississippi, love in the time of coronavirus
- 6:18 AMGlenview priest has led a wonderful life
More Suburban News
- ElginElgin City Council votes to fund school resource officer program
- WheatonDuPage sheriff investigating whether on-duty deputy ate inside restaurant
- PoliticsHouse candidates Mason, Yost weigh in on Madigan's leadership
- GenevaState asks for Appellate Court to reverse decision by judge regarding indoor dining ban
- Elk Grove VillagePlans for two new hotels in Elk Grove Village hampered by pandemic
- PalatineDrive-through winter farmers market in Palatine means more vendors
- GrayslakeBush, Kasperski differ on governor's response to COVID-19
- LibertyvilleBack to square one for Libertyville Bakers Square site
- EducationCrystal Lake District 47 to return to remote learning
- Buffalo GroveBuffalo Grove planning reconstruction of Bernard Drive
- WheatonDuPage coroner candidates tout their experience
- DuPage CountyDuPage court clerk candidates make their case
- NewsGlenview priest has led a wonderful life
- NewsChicago Symphony clarinetist John Bruce Yeh finding success with virtual CSO concerts
- RosemontRepublicans, Democrats in 2 closely watched state House races debate indoor dining ban
A lot of suburbanites voted early at many locations in The Week in Pictures photo gallery for October 17-23, 2020.
Through the Film Magnifier: Chubby Checker, Harrison Ford, Astronaut Jim Lovell and Dance Fever contestants