Race to find survivors as quake aid pours into Turkey, Syria
Search teams and emergency aid from around the world poured into Turkey and Syria on Tuesday as rescuers working in freezing temperatures dug -- sometimes with their bare hands -- through the remains of buildings flattened by a magnitude 7.8 earthquake. The death toll soared above 5,000 and was still expected to rise.
Balloon bursts hopes for end to spiraling U.S.-China tensionsMonday was supposed to be a day of modest hope in the U.S.-China relationship. Secretary of State Antony Blinken was going to be in Beijing, meeting with President Xi Jinping in a high-stakes bid to ease ever-rising tensions between the world's two largest economies.
Biden aims to deliver reassurance in State of Union addressPresident Joe Biden is ready to offer a reassuring assessment of the nation's condition rather than roll out flashy policy proposals as he delivers his second State of the Union address seeking to overcome pessimism in the country and concerns about his own leadership.
Russian shells spark hospital fire before expected assaultRussian shelling hit more civilian targets in Ukraine, starting a fire at a town's hospital and damaging five apartment buildings, local officials said Tuesday, as Ukrainian authorities reported a Moscow troop buildup in eastern areas before what Kyiv suspected was an impending new offensive by Russia around the anniversary of its invasion.
China says will 'safeguard interests' over balloon shootdownChina said Tuesday it will "resolutely safeguard its legitimate rights and interests" over the shooting down of a suspected Chinese spy balloon by the United States, as relations between the two countries deteriorate further.
Bono, a shooting hero, Nichols' family members to join BidenRock star Bono, the 26-year-old who disarmed a gunman in last month's Monterey Park, California, shooting, and the family of Tyre Nichols will be among the featured guests sitting alongside first lady Jill Biden at Tuesday's State of the Union address.
Group: 1-in-5 U.S. adults will bet on this year's Super BowlA record 50.4 million American adults plan to bet on this year's Super Bowl, wagering a total of $16 billion, the gambling industry's national trade group predicted Tuesday.
UK police officer, exposed as serial rapist, jailed for lifeA former London police officer was sentenced Tuesday to life in prison with a minimum term of 30 years for raping and sexually assaulting a dozen women over a 17-year period.
Greece: 3 dead after boat with migrants hits rocksThree migrants died and 16 others were rescued off the Greek island of Lesbos on Tuesday after a dinghy transporting them from the nearby coast of Turkey hit rocks in high winds, authorities said.
'Loophole' excuses WHO officials accused of misconductA confidential U.N. report into alleged missteps by senior World Health Organization staffers in the way they handled a sexual misconduct case during an Ebola outbreak in Congo found their response didn't violate the agency's policies because of what some officials described as a "loophole" in how the WHO defines victims of such behavior.
Biden 2024? Most Democrats say no thank you: AP-NORC pollA majority of Democrats now think one term is plenty for President Joe Biden, despite his insistence that he plans to seek reelection in 2024.
- 8:23 AMAlgonquin Best Buy store to close in March
- 6:55 AMWho's going to the State of the Union? Illinois lawmakers introduce their guests
- 6:20 AMSt. Charles group grants wishes of veterans, first responders to attend sporting events nationwide
- 6:01 AM164 high-end townhouses coming to Bell Works in Hoffman Estates
- 12:15 AMArlington Heights approves first two expansions for full-day kindergarten in District 25
- 12:05 AMAccepting Spring Hill Mall's reality: West Dundee trustees OK a new tax district for it
- 11:22 PMHanover Park man goes missing
More Suburban News
- Des PlainesMurphy appointed asst. majority leader of Illinois Senate
- AlgonquinTwo pets rescued from fire in Algonquin
- DuPage CountyFormer longtime WGN anchor and suburban radio host Jack Taylor dies at 94
- InglesideVictim of Lake Villa-area crash identified as 73-year-old Ingleside man
- Oakbrook TerraceDrury Lane's 'A Chorus Line' a singular sensation indeed
- PalatineGreat Chili Cook Off of Palatine set for Feb. 26
- MundeleinMundelein State of the Village address set for Feb. 13
- CarpentersvilleDundee Township garden club offers scholarship
- PoliticsElmhurst candidates to debate key issues in League of Women Voters forum
- Girls' GymnasticsGirls gymnastics: Lake Park 2nd to DeKalb-Sycamore at sectional, hopes for at-large state berth
- Girls' BasketballLibertyville rallies for wild win over neighboring Carmel
- Mount ProspectTwo charged with three break-ins at Mount Prospect homes
- AlgonquinAlgonquin Best Buy store to close in March
- Hoffman Estates164 high-end townhouses coming to Bell Works in Hoffman Estates
- EducationArlington Heights approves first two expansions for full-day kindergarten in District 25