Learn about history, science and more this spring at free College of DuPage lectures
The Continuing Education program at College of DuPage will host "Sage Series" lectures and "Lunch Break Lectures" on a variety of subjects this spring on the college's Glen Ellyn campus, 425 Fawell Blvd.
Part of Continuing Education's Lifelong Learning program, the free "Sage Series" features local experts presenting information on Chinese cuisine, the Hubble Space Telescope, "The Twilight Zone" and more.
Registration for Sage Series classes is required.
This semester's offerings include:
• "The Hubble Space Telescope": Explore the history of the Hubble Space Telescope highlighting some of its greatest achievements and discoveries from 7:30 to 9 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 9.
• "A Bite of China: A Perfect Blend of Five Flavors": Take a look into the history of food, eating and cooking in China examining the traditional use of the five flavors: bitter, salty, spicy, sour and sweet from 1 to 3 p.m. Friday, Feb. 15.
• "The Twilight Zone: Six Degrees of Separation": Accompanied by video from the classic 1959 to 1964 series, explore "The Twilight Zone's" connections with other shows, movies and media from 1 to 3 p.m. Friday, Feb. 15.
• "Miss Brodie is 50 Years Past Her Prime": Enjoy this screening of 1969's "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie" followed by a discussion of the film from 1 to 4 p.m. Friday, April 12.
• "LGBTQ: Past and Present": Examine sexual orientation and gender identity through history, the arts, law, science, medicine, politics and justice from 10 a.m. to noon Friday, April 26.
"Lunch Break Lectures" feature experts from the college's Continuing Education program discussing a variety of topics. Lectures are from noon to 1 p.m. on select Wednesdays, through May 15, in the Student Resource Center, Room 1127. Registration is recommended.
Fall offerings include: "The Plantagenets" on Jan. 23; "Simon and Garfunkel: Sound and Silence" on Feb. 6; "Travel Normandy and Burgundy" on Feb. 20; "Queen Victoria" on March 6; "Frank Lloyd Wright's Falling Water" on March 20; "Steppe Nomads" on April 3; "Cavalry in the Civil War" on April 17; "Thoroughbreds" on Racing and the Kentucky Derby" on May 1; and "Queen Elizabeth I" on May 15.
Visit www.cod.edu/academics/conted/registration.aspx or call (630) 942-2208 for more information and to register for any Sage Series classes or Lunch Break Lectures.
The Lifelong Learning Institute offers a mix of courses, workshops, seminars and lectures in a wide range of topic areas, such as art and hobby, health and wellness, history, the humanities and more. Visit www.cod.edu/academics/conted/adult/lifelong.aspx for more information.