Communities » Wheaton Area News
Wheaton wants to hear residents’ opinions on garbage collectionResidents wanting to offer their opinion on several future garbage collection options being considered by the Wheaton City Council are asked to attend a meeting next week at city hall.Last Updated Jun 29, 2016 6:22 PM
DuPage County forest preserve may repair two historic buildingsUpdated Jun 28, 2016 1:58 PM
Two historic buildings will be preserved by the DuPage County Forest Preserve District while the future of a third structure near Glen Ellyn remains in limbo.
DuPage forest preserve to decide fate of several buildingsUpdated Jun 27, 2016 11:27 PM
DuPage Forest Preserve District commissioners on Tuesday will decide what to do with three buildings on district land.
Pyke: Cancer charity 'desperately' needs drivers for patientsUpdated Jun 27, 2016 6:08 PM
About 20 percent of cancer patients cancel or delay treatment because they can't get there. There's a “desperate” need in the suburbs for volunteer drivers whose help often can make a life-or-death difference in someone's life.
Rita’s Italian Ice plans 22 new locationsUpdated Jun 27, 2016 1:34 PM
Rita’s Italian Ice, based in Trevose, Pennsylvania with more than 600 stores in 30 states and 5 countries, plans to enter the Illinois market in DuPage, Will and Cook counties with 22 new stores.
Glen Ellyn teen heading to Paralympics swimming trialsUpdated Jun 24, 2016 11:17 PM
Ahalya Lettenberger, 15, of Glen Ellyn is heading to the Paralympic Swimming Trials in North Carolina next week, in hopes of qualifying for the Rio Paralympic Games.
DuPage forest district delays sale of horses to Schaumburg Park DistrictUpdated Jun 24, 2016 7:10 PM
DuPage County Forest Preserve officials have delayed the sale of two draft horses to the Schaumburg Park District after residents raised concerns about the deal. It’s now unclear when, or if, a vote will happen.
Independence Day celebration a two-day affair in WheatonPosted Jun 28, 2016 10:09 AM
Some communities celebrate the 4th of July with a parade. Others wow their residents with fireworks. Wheaton believes in doing both.
College of DuPage celebrating 50 years of changing livesUpdated Jun 27, 2016 9:47 PM
College of DuPage celebrates its 50th Anniversary with a year-long series of activities characterizing the vital role COD has and will continue to play in our community.
- E.P. Doyle & Son, LLC: 3 Generations of Quality Building
- Willowbrook Wildlife Center to celebrate 60 years
Recently shared by others
- COD student selected as ICCB student advisory committee student representative
- Glen Ellyn Food Truck Fest at Lake Ellyn Cardboard Boat Regatta
- 28th annual Marklund Summer Games a success
- DuPage County schools may see a $27.5 million increase in plan supported by Tom Cullerton
- Geneva church awarded Volunteer Organization of the Year by Northern Illinois Food Bank
- Wheaton Municipal Band to perform patriotic concert
- COD Hosts Free Prairie Tours this Summer
- Minority Contractors Association to host annual golf outing
- COD Hosts Mock Crime Scene for Glendale Heights Junior Police Campers
- Summer’s hot and so is seller’s market in Chicago suburbs
- Popular safari guide, photographer and lecturer Richard Field will tell about "Life on Safari: An Introduction to Authentic Africa" in a lecture/slide show Wednesday, April 9, at the Oak Brook Park District Rec Center, 1450 Forest Gate Road, Oak Brook. This 7 to 9 p.m. event is free and open to the public. For more information, call 630-303-4787. Rebecca Field
60th Anniversary of The Midnight Special 98.7fm NYE
Garnet Rogers, Beth Kaufman (Spuyten Duyvil), and Pat Wictor (Brother Sun) sing together at the finale of this momentous show. Melissa Dagenhart
Amaryllis and the Snow
Thought it was a nice contrast with the bright, red amaryllis and the snowy white trees in the background Misty Alvis
- The Village of Lombard celebrates Arbor Day with the planting of an Ivory Silk Japanese Lilac tree in honor of the late Village President William J. Mueller. Attending the ceremony was the Mueller Family and St. Pius X students and their families. Village of Lombard
- On Feb. 12, the Glen Ellyn Wheaton Community Associates of the Art Institute of Chicago were treated to a lecture on the art of Norman Rockwell. The luncheon was held at the Carlisle Banquets in Lombard and over 120 members and guests attended this event. Jeff Mishur, Vice President and Co-owner of Art Excursions was the speaker.Left to right is Program Committee member, Pat Jamieson, Lecturer, Jeff Mishur, Community Associates President, Katy Damitz, technical coordinator, Roberta Pawlak, and Program Chairman, Sue Krause. The next event on the organization's schedule is a day trip to the Jaharis Galleries and National Hellenic Museum. For information about membership call 630-858-0578. Jean jeske
THE BIG GAME WILL CONSIST OF THE BRONCOS AGAINST THE SEAHAWKS AND EVERY FACEBOOK FAN OF WINFIELD FLOWER SHOPPE WILL BE A WINNER!
IT?S SIMPLE! HERE?S WHAT TO DO TO WIN:
BE SURE YOU HAVE CLICKED THE ?LIKE? BUTTON ON OUR FACEBOOK PAGE. THEN ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS SELECT THE TEAM YOU THINK WILL WIN AND POST IT IN THIS THREAD. THAT?S IT!!
NOW HOPE FOR A LOT OF POINTS. EVERY POINT WILL BE WORTH $1 FOR A VOUCHER FROM WINFIELD FLOWER SHOPPE. EVERYONE IS A WINNER.
SO GO AHEAD, SELECT YOUR TEAM NOW AND YOU ARE GUARANTEED TO WIN! HOW MANY POINTS AND DOLLARS WILL YOUR GIFT CARD BE WORTH? ONLY THE OUTCOME OF THE GAME WILL DECIDE.
SPREAD THE WORD, SHARE THIS POST, AND LET YOUR FRIENDS PARTICIPATE TO GET A FREE GIFT VOUCHER FOR A PURCHASE FROM WINFIELD FLOWER SHOPPE TOO?. JUST IN TIME FOR VALENTINE?S DAY!
- After more than a decade in scouts, St. Francis senior and St. Michael School alum, Ian Hart, reached the ultimate milestone in scouting. On August 21, Ian became the most recent Eagle Scout of Boy Scout Troop 34. Ian is pictured with his mother, Sunny. Sunny Hart
- My girlfriends dog Cooper. Taken at her Christmas Eve party in Wheaton. I used Target brand 100 speed film that expired in 2001 and spent 8+ years forgotten in my garage. I shot the film as if it were 32 speed. Eric Frick
- Ken Carlson, manager of Carlson Art Supply and Framing, and Elaine Rau, teacher at Community School of the Arts, got together at Carlson's Wheaton store and held an art viewing for her young students work. Art can be seen still in our window. brad carlson
Courtesy of nniphelanphotography.com
Carly, a Dachshund who lives in Algonquin with owner Linda Klbecka, had a great time at last year's Cross Town Bark Around Social and Fundraiser to benefit Midwest Dachshund Rescue. This year's event will be on June 20 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the DuPage County Fairgrounds in Wheaton. Go to www.mwdr.org for details. jenniphelanphotography.com
- Christian Liberty Academy team praying before the game Eileen Glad
- 2012-13 Christian Liberty's 1st Baseball Regional Win!! 5-18-13 6-0. Winning pitcher, only pitcher Senior David Colbert. Team won this together. Great plays by Aaron Karr, Shawn Andersen, Juan Pagan, Aaron Cunningham and last out caught by Brendan Brosnan. David did an awesome job pitching and catching line drives at the mount. Freshman Tim Laskowski, Peter Grob and Jimmy Calkins thanks for getting on base in order to score. Aaron Karr, Shawn Andersen, way to move our players on the bases with your great hits-triples and doubles and Daniel Glad and JD for your great catches. This was definitely a team playing together to win the victory. Eileen Glad
Carol G. Sherby, Craniosacral Therapist from Wheaton, enjoyed her career as
a consultant in garden design and landscaping. She was the owner of Garden Tapestries from 1990 to present time. Sherby has been a Master Gardener with the University of Illinois for over twenty-three years. ?My CraniosacralTherapy partners with my knowledge of plants and nutrution,? said Sherby. She also was the creator of the Perennial/Annual Garden Design Department for Walsh Landscape and Constructiion. The program ?Color in the Garden,? gave the Lombard Garden Club?s members at the January meeting a ray of sunshine and hope on a below zero day. Left to right are club members getting gardening advice from Sherby, Fran Pszanka, Sherby, Karen Michalezyk, and Rocki DeVoy. Jean Jeske
- Joe Hyken completes his Eagle Scout Service Project for the Carol Stream Park District on April 5. Photo is taken after the boys finished installing their last sign at the Town Center. Names from left to right. Kurt Pysarenko, Hans Carden, Nate Boyd, Joe Hyken, Josh Pysarnko, Nick Quinte, Ryan Montoma. Shawn Hyken
- Lt. Col Patrick M. Godfrey, USAF and native of Wheaton, IL shares a memorable moment with his daughter, Kylie, at his present duty station, Tyndall Air Force Base in Panama City, Fla. Cathy Godfrey while on vacation in Florida
- An almost full moon on March 26th, 2013 Alexandra Gannon (Age 14)
- A group of Eagle Scouts celebrate an Eagle Court of Honor for some of the 13 Eagle Scouts produced in 2013 by Boy Scout Troop 23 of Wheaton. Alexis Zayed
- A group of Eagle Scouts, with their Scoutmaster Mr. Frank Jeffers, that earned the rank of Eagle Scout in 2014 from Boy Scout Troop 23 of Wheaton. Standing, from left: Michael Gehl, Daniel Valentin, Sam Bedrossian, Jacob Poke, Kurt Pysarenko, Joe Hyken, Matt Tarrizo, and Scoutmaster Frank E. Jeffers. Seated row, from left: Connor Foley, Kerry FitzGibbons, Josh Brenc, Nate Gartlan, TJ Wiegman and Luke Jolly. Scout not pictured: Ryan Jolly Alexis Zayed
- The West Chicago Garden Club’s Annual Plant Sale is a popular destination each year at Blooming Fest in historic downtown West Chicago. The addition of a Speakers’ Tent for 2013 compliments the garden event by featuring guest lecturers on horticultural topics such as tree diversity, container gardening and native landscaping. Krista Coltrin
"Itsy Bitsy Spider"
Cantigny Parks and Gardens
- Loni Cohen of Glen Ellyn receives the Violet Richardson Award fron Diane Kegley, Soroptimist Club President at the 24th Annual Awards function at the Hi View Restaurant on May 18. Sue Schumsacher
- Lt. Col Patrick M. Godfrey of Wheaton is taking command of the 325th Communications Squadron at Tyndall Air Force Base in Florida in a command ceremony on Thursday, June 13, 2013. official Air Force photo
Stacy Norberg, age 16, at Cantigny Parks and Gardens Elayna Lachs
- Neuropsychologist Paul D. Nussbaum, Ph.D., chats with guest Arlene Coles following his presentation “Five Things to Keep Your Brain Healthy and Sharp.” Dr. Nussbaum spoke at Windsor Park, a faith-based, nonprofit, continuing care retirement community administered by Covenant Retirement Communities. Dr. Nussbaum is a clinical neuropsychologist and adjunct professor at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. Windsor Park
- More than two dozen new gravestones will be dedicated on Saturday afternoon, Sept. 1 at the nearly 160-year-old St. Stephen Cemetery on the Carol Stream-Wheaton border. The ceremony will be at 1 p.m., at the cemetery that traces its origin to the former German farm community of Gretna, north of Saint Charles Road and west of Schmale Road. The program is open to the public and will include dessert refreshments. F. W. Miller
Bob Smith DuPage County Editor
Christie Willhite Assistant City Editor
Jessica Cilella Staff Writer
Orrin Schwarz DuPage County High School Sports Coordinator and Pro Sports Writer
Robert Sanchez Assistant City Editor
More Wheaton News
- Wheaton Sports
- Glen Ellyn teen heading to Paralympics swimming trials
- Antique bike enthusiasts hosting event in downtown Wheaton
- Wheaton’s Thomas Jaeschke makes USA Olympic volleyball team
- Wheaton Business
- Rita’s Italian Ice plans 22 new locations
- COD students compete in NASA robotic mining competition
- Wheaton Entertainment
- Independence Day celebration a two-day affair in Wheaton
- Pyke: Cancer charity 'desperately' needs drivers for patients
- Rita’s Italian Ice plans 22 new locations
- DuPage Symphony opens Cantigny concert series
- Artists from near and far show work at Cantigny
- Wheaton Opinion
- How to contact your state leaders, senators, representatives
- Trump’s playbook goes back 80 years
- Obama’s delusional political correctness
- Do more than pray for victims — act
- Trump now devising an exit strategy?
Points of Interest
- Toggle map points:
- Community Colleges
- Glenbard West High School
- 670 Crescent Blvd.
Glen Ellyn, Il 60137
- Forest Green/White
- St. Francis High School
- 2130 W. Roosevelt Rd.
Wheaton, Il 60187
- Wheaton Academy
- 900 Prince Crossing Rd.
West Chicago, Il 60185
- Wheaton North High School
- 1 Falcon Way
Wheaton, Il 60187-3189
- Royal Blue/Gold
- Wheaton Warrenville South High School
- 1920 Wiesbrook Rd.
Wheaton, Il 60187
Daily Herald Communities
- 41.859562, -88.107181
- DuPage County