Communities » West Chicago Area News
DuPage County forest preserve may repair two historic buildingsTwo historic buildings will be preserved by the DuPage County Forest Preserve District while the future of a third structure near Glen Ellyn remains in limbo.Last Updated Jun 28, 2016 1:58 PM
DuPage forest preserve to decide fate of several buildingsUpdated Jun 27, 2016 11:27 PM
DuPage Forest Preserve District commissioners on Tuesday will decide what to do with three buildings on district land.
Rita’s Italian Ice plans 22 new locationsUpdated Jun 27, 2016 1:34 PM
Rita’s Italian Ice, based in Trevose, Pennsylvania with more than 600 stores in 30 states and 5 countries, plans to enter the Illinois market in DuPage, Will and Cook counties with 22 new stores.
DuPage forest district delays sale of horses to Schaumburg Park DistrictUpdated Jun 24, 2016 7:10 PM
DuPage County Forest Preserve officials have delayed the sale of two draft horses to the Schaumburg Park District after residents raised concerns about the deal. It’s now unclear when, or if, a vote will happen.
College of DuPage celebrating 50 years of changing livesUpdated Jun 27, 2016 9:47 PM
College of DuPage celebrates its 50th Anniversary with a year-long series of activities characterizing the vital role COD has and will continue to play in our community.
E.P. Doyle & Son, LLC: 3 Generations of Quality BuildingUpdated Jun 27, 2016 9:47 PM
From its humble beginnings as a homebuilder, E.P. Doyle & Son, LLC is now a well-respected general contractor, and has expanded its scope of work to include diverse projects in health care, finance, industrial, mixed use, retail, and highly specialized projects.
Willowbrook Wildlife Center to celebrate 60 yearsPosted Jun 25, 2016 6:00 AM
Willowbrook Wildlife Center this summer is celebrating 60 years of returning injured animals to the wild.
Winning images of our weekly photo contestPosted Jun 24, 2016 1:00 AM
Each week you submit your favorite photo. We pick the best of the bunch and select the finalists. Here are the finalists for the week of June 20.
West Chicago Calendar
Recently shared by others
- Kane County Fair celebrates community, family and 4-H
- COD student selected as ICCB student advisory committee student representative
- Celebrate a ‘Glorious Fourth’ the 1890s way
- Celebrations of the Second International Day of Yoga at Sandwich & the US Midwest
- DuPage County schools may see a $27.5 million increase in plan supported by Tom Cullerton
- Geneva church awarded Volunteer Organization of the Year by Northern Illinois Food Bank
- COD Hosts Free Prairie Tours this Summer
- Minority Contractors Association to host annual golf outing
- COD Hosts Mock Crime Scene for Glendale Heights Junior Police Campers
- COD students participate in summer chemistry internships
- Garden Club of Downers Grove presents $1000 to West Chicago nursery and garden center employing young adults with disabilities Marianna Holm
- 4-day-old baby and dad cheer on Blackhawks. LEYLA YBARRA
THE BIG GAME WILL CONSIST OF THE BRONCOS AGAINST THE SEAHAWKS AND EVERY FACEBOOK FAN OF WINFIELD FLOWER SHOPPE WILL BE A WINNER!
IT?S SIMPLE! HERE?S WHAT TO DO TO WIN:
BE SURE YOU HAVE CLICKED THE ?LIKE? BUTTON ON OUR FACEBOOK PAGE. THEN ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS SELECT THE TEAM YOU THINK WILL WIN AND POST IT IN THIS THREAD. THAT?S IT!!
NOW HOPE FOR A LOT OF POINTS. EVERY POINT WILL BE WORTH $1 FOR A VOUCHER FROM WINFIELD FLOWER SHOPPE. EVERYONE IS A WINNER.
SO GO AHEAD, SELECT YOUR TEAM NOW AND YOU ARE GUARANTEED TO WIN! HOW MANY POINTS AND DOLLARS WILL YOUR GIFT CARD BE WORTH? ONLY THE OUTCOME OF THE GAME WILL DECIDE.
SPREAD THE WORD, SHARE THIS POST, AND LET YOUR FRIENDS PARTICIPATE TO GET A FREE GIFT VOUCHER FOR A PURCHASE FROM WINFIELD FLOWER SHOPPE TOO?. JUST IN TIME FOR VALENTINE?S DAY!
- After more than a decade in scouts, St. Francis senior and St. Michael School alum, Ian Hart, reached the ultimate milestone in scouting. On August 21, Ian became the most recent Eagle Scout of Boy Scout Troop 34. Ian is pictured with his mother, Sunny. Sunny Hart
- Employee volunteers from ComEd partnered with the Fox Valley Special Recreation Association to celebrate National Volunteer Week. The volunteers assisted and guided individuals with developmental disabilities during a bowling outing on Saturday, April 5, in West Chicago. ComEd
Commission Members Bring Impressive and Accomplished Backgrounds to Volunteer Appointments
Past chair of the West Chicago Cultural Arts Commission Buddy Plumlee working on an exterior mural for an area business façade. Photo courtesy Buddy Plumlee. Courtesty Buddy Plumlee
Fluid Running is making its way from Oak Brook Park District to Juneau, Alaska
Linda Kruger (right) of Juneau, Alaska is working on her Fluid Running certification with Founder Jennifer Conroyd (left) at the Oak Brook Park District's Family Aquatic Center, 1450 Forest Gate Road. Linda will be among the first certified Fluid Running instructors in the United States. Thank you Linda for helping The Oak Brook Park District and Fluid Running spread the benefits of this wonderful fitness and wellness opportunity across the country! Jessica Cannaday
- This is the site of the West Branch DuPage River Bike path on St. Charles Road just under the North Avenue bridge in West Chicago. The positioning of this path next to the DuPage River causes it to flood with a lot of rain. Erin Ryan
Harbinger of Spring
Goldfinch in a tree Roger Sudnick
- The West Chicago Garden Club’s Annual Plant Sale is a popular destination each year at Blooming Fest in historic downtown West Chicago. The addition of a Speakers’ Tent for 2013 compliments the garden event by featuring guest lecturers on horticultural topics such as tree diversity, container gardening and native landscaping. Krista Coltrin
- For mom's 70th birthday we wanted to do something completely unexpected. A surprise party was too obvious, so instead we bought her a billboard and put a great photo on it that we took on Mother's Day. The billboard is on Route 38 west of Route 59 in West Chicago. From left to right: Kaara (daughter), Bonnie (birthday mom), Jason (son) Jason Kallen
- Council of Catholic Women selling Spring Decor at annual fund-raiser at St. John the Baptist, Winfield Dee Bryja
- West Chicago soccer player transfers to Ecuador. This kid you see in this picture called, Alexis Quezada. From West Chicago's lives right on the border of Carol Stream as well. He is a 16 year old West Chicago Community student. He is not any normal teenager that loves the sport soccer. He is a rising talent. Played with Chicago Fire's youth academy which is in the MLS in Chicago. He recently transferred to Cuenca, Ecuador to play for Club Deportivo Cuenca. Deportivo Cuenca and also teams from Mexico were interested in him and tried signing this young star. At just 16 years of age, he's living in Ecuador with his fathers family as his parents are currently living in West Chicago still and now living his "dream". Photo taken last month on January 15, 2014. Club Deportivo Cuenca Soccer Club
More West Chicago News
- West Chicago Business
- Rita’s Italian Ice plans 22 new locations
- COD students compete in NASA robotic mining competition
- West Chicago Entertainment
- Rita’s Italian Ice plans 22 new locations
- West Chicago Opinion
- Senator, could you provide a few words?
- In Orlando, round up the usual suspects
Points of Interest
- Toggle map points:
- Community Colleges
- Bartlett High School
- 701 Schick Rd.
Bartlett, Il 60103
- Dark Green/Navy Blue/White
- Elgin High School
- 1200 Maroon Dr.
Elgin, Il 60120-8197
- St. Charles East High School
- 1020 Dunham Rd.
St. Charles, Il 60174
- Fighting Saints
- West Chicago Community High School
- 326 Joliet St.
West Chicago, Il 60185-3142
- Navy Blue/White
- Wheaton Academy
- 900 Prince Crossing Rd.
West Chicago, Il 60185
- Bartlett Public Library District
- (630) 837-2855
- 800 S. Bartlett Road
Bartlett, Illinois 60103
- St. Charles Public Library
- (630) 584-0076
- 1 S. Sixth Ave.
St. Charles, Illinois 60174
- West Chicago Public Library District
- (630) 231-1552
- 118 W. Washington St.
West Chicago, Illinois 60185
Daily Herald Communities
- Where History and Progress Meet
- 41.888378, -88.209659
- DuPage County