Maine East teacher honored; Bartlett library exec named to state board
Maine East High School teacher Jonathan Hunter, SkillsUSA Advisor of the Year for Illinois.
Courtesy District 207
• Maine East High School teacher Jonathan Hunter was honored as the SkillsUSA Advisor of the Year for Illinois. Hunter was recognized during the SkillsUSA State Conference, held in Springfield.
Hunter teaches computer repair and graphic communications in Maine East's Applied Arts and Technology department. He has been involved with SkillsUSA in many and varied capacities since he began teaching at East in 2000.
SkillsUSA is a national, nonprofit partnership of students, teachers and industry working together to ensure that America has a skilled workforce.
• Assistant director of the Bartlett Public Library District Susan Westgate was elected to the executive board of the Illinois Library Association (ILA), the state's largest professional organization of library and information science professionals.
Westgate, who will serve a three-year term beginning July 1, has worked in youth services at several other area libraries since 1988. She holds a master's degree in library and information science.
As a member of the ILA executive board, she will be involved in advocating for public policy that promotes effective library service.
• Schaumburg Park District's Board of Commissioners announced the following 2012-2013 officers: Commissioner Robert Schmidt will serve as president, Commissioner Mike Daniels as first vice president, Commissioner George Longmeyer as second vice president, Commissioner David Johnson as secretary and Commissioner Sharon DiMaria as treasurer.
The park board is the legal governing authority through which the park district conducts business. Park commissioners are elected at large and serve four year terms. The Schaumburg Park District Park Board meets at 8 p.m. the second Thursday of every month, at the Jerry Handlon Administration Building, 235 E. Beech Drive, Schaumburg.
• Des Plaines Allstate agency owner Ken Smith received the Allstate Agency Hands in the Community award for his commitment to helping others. With this award came a $1,000 grant from The Allstate Foundation for the Gateway for Cancer Research, where Smith volunteers and serves as the vice chairman of the executive board.
The Gateway for Cancer Research is focused on patient-centered and patient-relevant cancer research. The organization supports the funding of innovative, unique, patient-centered, cancer research that has the potential to positively impact the lives of cancer patients at the earliest opportunity.
• Katarzyna Pomian of Arlington Heights, John Hersey High School's Class of 2012 graduate, is the winner of this year's District 214 Education Association Scholarship. Pomian was selected from a field of 35 outstanding District 214 applicants, who have chosen education as their career path.
The award is for $500 with a possible renewal for a maximum of four years or $2,000, if the recipient maintains academic eligibility in pursuit of a career in education.
Pomian will attend Loyola University Chicago, this fall.
• Palatine resident Leslie Van Wolvelear, associate accounting professor at Oakton Community College, Des Plaines, is the recipient of the Illinois CPA Society's 2012 Outstanding Educator Award. Van Wolvelear was honored at the society's annual dinner held June 5, in Chicago.
This award recognizes Illinois educators at a community college, college or university, who excel in leadership and teaching, and have made continuous and outstanding contributions to accounting education. Van Wolvelear began teaching at Oakton in 1999. At the college, she serves as an online learning consultant and coordinates the accounting department's assessment program.
This article filed under
- Arlington Heights
- Buffalo Grove
- Des Plaines
- Elk Grove Village
- Hanover Park
- Mount Prospect
- Park Ridge
- Prospect Heights
- Rolling Meadows
- West Chicago
- Cook County
- Schaumburg Park District
- Bartlett Public Library
- John Hersey High School
- Maine East High School
- Maine Township High School District 207
- Northwest Suburban High School D214
- Oakton Community College
- Maine Township
- Share Facebook Twitter
Article sent to (required)E-mail
Article sent from (required)E-mail Name
Subject Line (article title)
Message (optional)Success - Article sent Click to close
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.
Contact information ( * required )Name * Company Telephone * E-mail *
Article InformationTitle URL
Message (optional)Success - Reprint request sent Click to close