Communities » West Chicago Area News
Tri-Cities police reportsGabriel A. Mercado, 19, of South Elgin, was charged with possession of drug paraphernalia at 12:05 a.m. March 18, according to a Geneva police report.Last Updated Mar 23, 2015 5:03 PM
West Chicago Calendar
Recently shared by others
- Heart Sounds 2015 Symposium to highlight innovations in cardiology
- Learn how to ‘echo weave’ at Fine Line
- COD physics professor gets nailed in class
- Author Sam Weller Shares Work at College of DuPage Writers Read Series
- College of DuPage Welcomes Community to Renovated Naperville Regional Center
- College of DuPage Offers New Game Animation and Design Degree
- Health Insurance for People 65 + Years
- Therapy dog helps with literacy skills
- “Why Opera?” program coming to Wheaton’s Danada Room March 25
- Display your skills for collegiate coaches at JUCO Spring Hoops Showcase
- Garrett Ard and Lisa Dawn Foertsch rehearse for Wheaton Drama's special Broadway musical revue, "Broadway Ballot". Performances are Aug. 17-19 at Playhouse 111. Tickets and information at http://www.wheatondrama.org Steven Merkel
- Sentimental summer gathering of sorority sisters enjoys lunch at Blackfinn. Alumnae members of Northwest Suburban Alumnae Club plan philanthropic events and social gatherings. Since 1961, Alpha Gam women have shared a common goal to contribute to the world's work in their community. Front row L to R: Bonnie Everhard, Barbara Benson, Nancy Clauser, Sandra Enright. Back row L to R : Pat Smith, Mary Herther, Barbara Willmarth, Kay Bradley, Louann Lawson, Reta Holmgren, Cherrie Wickstrom, Sue Rogers. Pat Smith, Alpha Gamma Delta Publicity Chair
Wayne Stayskal (right), retired Tribune Media editorial cartoonist, explains some of the finer points of his work to guests when Windsor Park, a Covenant Retirement Community at 124 Windsor Park Drive in Carol Stream, hosted a retrospective exhibit of his syndicated work. About 75 people attended the artist’s reception Aug. 20, including Stayskal’s wife Helen (center) and son Bob (left). The show is open to the public daily from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. until Sept. 30.
To see a video interview and catch a glimpse of the engaging personality who humorously commentated on culture for more than 30 years visit www.WindsorParkIllinois.org/downloads-news. For details, call Windsor Park at (630) 510-5500. Shirley Mott
- Congratulations to team Jackpot (Strikers U-13) for winning the Kicks for Cancer 3v3 U-14 Tournament defeating Deadly Deceptions (Campton United U-13) in the final 7-5. Pictured back row: Coach Jim Corno Jr., Ryleigh Strubler, Brandon Knapp and Joe Corno. Front row: John McCaffrey, Brian Bartholomew and Matthew Gombar. Mike Gombar
- June 1 house fire 28W625 Lester St West Chicago IL 7:00PM Edward Franckowiak
THE BIG GAME WILL CONSIST OF THE BRONCOS AGAINST THE SEAHAWKS AND EVERY FACEBOOK FAN OF WINFIELD FLOWER SHOPPE WILL BE A WINNER!
IT?S SIMPLE! HERE?S WHAT TO DO TO WIN:
BE SURE YOU HAVE CLICKED THE ?LIKE? BUTTON ON OUR FACEBOOK PAGE. THEN ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS SELECT THE TEAM YOU THINK WILL WIN AND POST IT IN THIS THREAD. THAT?S IT!!
NOW HOPE FOR A LOT OF POINTS. EVERY POINT WILL BE WORTH $1 FOR A VOUCHER FROM WINFIELD FLOWER SHOPPE. EVERYONE IS A WINNER.
SO GO AHEAD, SELECT YOUR TEAM NOW AND YOU ARE GUARANTEED TO WIN! HOW MANY POINTS AND DOLLARS WILL YOUR GIFT CARD BE WORTH? ONLY THE OUTCOME OF THE GAME WILL DECIDE.
SPREAD THE WORD, SHARE THIS POST, AND LET YOUR FRIENDS PARTICIPATE TO GET A FREE GIFT VOUCHER FOR A PURCHASE FROM WINFIELD FLOWER SHOPPE TOO?. JUST IN TIME FOR VALENTINE?S DAY!
- After more than a decade in scouts, St. Francis senior and St. Michael School alum, Ian Hart, reached the ultimate milestone in scouting. On August 21, Ian became the most recent Eagle Scout of Boy Scout Troop 34. Ian is pictured with his mother, Sunny. Sunny Hart
- Employee volunteers from ComEd partnered with the Fox Valley Special Recreation Association to celebrate National Volunteer Week. The volunteers assisted and guided individuals with developmental disabilities during a bowling outing on Saturday, April 5, in West Chicago. ComEd
Commission Members Bring Impressive and Accomplished Backgrounds to Volunteer Appointments
Past chair of the West Chicago Cultural Arts Commission Buddy Plumlee working on an exterior mural for an area business façade. Photo courtesy Buddy Plumlee. Courtesty Buddy Plumlee
- DTA Wildcats 15U Navy & Red teams rocked it at the Mickey Sund Classic in Crystal Lake. The Navy team went 5-0 and outscored their opponents 54-4 on the weekend.The Red team went 4-1 on the weekend with solid pitching and defense including a fantastic 7-5 win against the PBI Eagles in the semi-final game. DTA Wildcats Navy played DTA Wildcats Red in the championship game and were victorious. DuPage Training Academy Baseball
- Eagle spotted at Fabyan East Forest Preserve Saturday May 3, 2014 Brittany Eve Baker
Fluid Running is making its way from Oak Brook Park District to Juneau, Alaska
Linda Kruger (right) of Juneau, Alaska is working on her Fluid Running certification with Founder Jennifer Conroyd (left) at the Oak Brook Park District's Family Aquatic Center, 1450 Forest Gate Road. Linda will be among the first certified Fluid Running instructors in the United States. Thank you Linda for helping The Oak Brook Park District and Fluid Running spread the benefits of this wonderful fitness and wellness opportunity across the country! Jessica Cannaday
Harbinger of Spring
Goldfinch in a tree Roger Sudnick
Many of the veterans shown who reside at Windsor Park, a Covenant Retirement Community in Carol Stream, will have their service photo and other memorabilia on display in the community's Centrum beginning Friday, Nov. 8. Intended to honor all veterans, the show is open to the public daily from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. until Nov. 15. Windsor Park is located at 124 Windsor Park Drive. Captain Richard Blackburn, first row center, holds a book of his memoirs. He received the French Legion of Honor for valor in one of the main campaigns during WW II in France. Visitors can also view a world map with pushpins designating where each veteran served. Windsor Park residents plan this display each year. Those involved in 2013 are Harman Barnard, Ray Smith, Charlie Ochs, Ralph Weldon, Bill Anderson, Stan Johnson, and Herb Clausen.
For more information, call Windsor Park at (630) 510-5500.
Those pictured (left to right) are:
First row: John Weber, Henry Nelson, Jim McLuskie, Roy Comstock, Clarence Aronson, Eunice Blackburn, Richard Blackburn, Ray Smith, Matt Leonard, Warren Larson, Eugene Young, Donald White, Robert Baptista.
Second row: Bob Muzzy, Howard Headley, Reg Gerig, Len Buck, Dick Rung, Robert Fox, Check Lewis, Clayton Barker, Howard Morey, Wallace Alcorn, Charles Ochs, Stan Yohe, Edward Ayers, Dick Gerig, Jason Johnson, Wayne Cook.
Third row: Bob Doenges, Bill Anderson, David Blomberg, Jim Carr, Bill Taetzsch, Ralph Welton, Stan Johnson, Glenn Heck, George Saunders. Jim Steere
- The West Chicago Garden Club’s Annual Plant Sale is a popular destination each year at Blooming Fest in historic downtown West Chicago. The addition of a Speakers’ Tent for 2013 compliments the garden event by featuring guest lecturers on horticultural topics such as tree diversity, container gardening and native landscaping. Krista Coltrin
- Jose Moreno takes a shot in front of John Thompson Center during a wheelchair basketball exhibition during ADA week. The Jr.Bulls come from NEDSRA located in Addison. Jeena Greenwalt
- West Chicago elected officials and staff, Old Time Pottery executives and representatives of the Western DuPage Chamber of Commerce cut the ceremonial ribbon at a daylong celebration which welcomes the retailer to their new home at the northwest corner of Illinois 59 & 64. Rosemary Mackey
- I took this photo while motorcycling around Williams Bay Wisconsin. It was early morning and the sun was casting a beautiful glow on the early morning mist on the lake. The boats were still asleep. Frank G. Salvatini
- Council of Catholic Women selling Spring Decor at annual fund-raiser at St. John the Baptist, Winfield Dee Bryja
- Jeena Greenwalt(l), Director of NEDSRA, and Nora Sandoval, also from NEDSRA, salsa the afternoon away at the Hispanic Families of NEDSRA Summer Fiesta this past weekend. Bruce Flowers
- Troop 13?s newest Eagle Scout stands with a few of the current Eagles Scouts in Bethlehem Lutheran Church?s Boy Scout Troop 13. Janis Kwasniewski
- In honor of Veterans Day, Girl Scout Troop 200 of Western DuPage Special Recreation Association (WDSRA) participated in a flag folding ceremony on Nov. 5. The ceremony was presented by special guests, Art Schultz (left) and Bill Minnich (right), from the Korean War Veterans Association Chapter 252. Pictured are Girl Scouts Angelina Salazar (left) and Joanna Conners-Yarus (right). Amy Wilson
- West Chicago fire fighters turned HQ into donation collection center Fire Fighters Chicago
West Chicago Police Department Team raises funds and carries the Flame of Hope For Special Olympics Illinois.
Pictured outside West Chicago City Hall on June 9, 2013 is the entire group that participated in the West Chicago Leg of the Torch Run. City of West Chicago
- Joe Berenyi (lead position), member of the U.S. Paralympics cycling team trains on Wednesday nights in the West Chicago Business Center with other members of his local team, the ABD Cycling Club. Krista Coltrin
Bob Smith DuPage County Editor
Christie Willhite Assistant City Editor
Orrin Schwarz DuPage County High School Sports Coordinator and Pro Sports Writer
Scott Sanders DuPage County Photo Editor
Points of Interest
- Toggle map points:
- Community Colleges
- Bartlett High School
- 701 Schick Rd.
Bartlett, Il 60103
- Dark Green/Navy Blue/White
- Elgin High School
- 1200 Maroon Dr.
Elgin, Il 60120-8197
- St. Charles East High School
- 1020 Dunham Rd.
St. Charles, Il 60174
- Fighting Saints
- West Chicago Community High School
- 326 Joliet St.
West Chicago, Il 60185-3142
- Navy Blue/White
- Wheaton Academy
- 900 Prince Crossing Rd.
West Chicago, Il 60185
- Bartlett Public Library District
- (630) 837-2855
- 800 S. Bartlett Road
Bartlett, Illinois 60103
- St. Charles Public Library
- (630) 584-0076
- 1 S. Sixth Ave.
St. Charles, Illinois 60174
- West Chicago Public Library District
- (630) 231-1552
- 118 W. Washington St.
West Chicago, Illinois 60185
Daily Herald Communities
- Where History and Progress Meet
- 41.888378, -88.209659
- DuPage County