Communities » West Chicago Area News
How a suburban piano-tuner ended up with a GrammyMusician and piano-tuner Matt Ponio of Island Lake needs to update his resume after being part of a Grammy-winning team.Last Updated Feb 19, 2017 9:01 AM
Carbon monoxide scare sends four to Naperville hospitalUpdated Feb 18, 2017 3:35 PM
A faulty water heater was to blame for an early morning carbon monoxide scare in Naperville that sent four people to the hospital Saturday morning.
West Chicago man convicted in fiery fatal DUI crashUpdated Feb 16, 2017 6:37 PM
Omar Montoya Medina, of West Chicago, faces between three and 14 years in prison for driving drunk and causing a fiery crash that killed a Warrenville man in the late hours of Dec. 5, 2014. Medina was traveling 100 mph with a blood-alcohol concentration more than twice the legal limit.
DuComm to improve and move into DuPage’s former youth homeUpdated Feb 15, 2017 4:32 PM
A 911 dispatch center that serves 45 police and fire agencies in DuPage County is planning to move into the county’s former youth home by fall 2018.
Suspect in Bloomingdale slaying now claiming self-defenseUpdated Feb 15, 2017 8:00 AM
Attorneys for a Hinsdale business man charged with the shooting death of a former professional basketball player now say the shooting was self-defense. Jeffrey Keller's attorney, Paul Moreschi, told DuPage County Judge George Bakalis Tuesday that the theory he hopes to prove at the May 16 trial is that the victim was the aggressor in a confrontation immediately before the shooting.
Oak Meadows poised to get new nameUpdated Feb 14, 2017 5:30 PM
The new-look Oak Meadows Golf Course in Addison soon is expected to have a new name. Commissioners with the Forest Preserve District of DuPage County are going to vote next week to authorize the 288-acre property to be renamed “The Preserve at Oak Meadows.”
Burlington Central defeats Wheaton AcademyUpdated Feb 13, 2017 10:40 PM
Burlington Central defeated Wheaton Academy on the first night of girls basketball action at the Class 3A Wheaton Academy regional.
Suburban teachers among 34 Golden Apple finalistsUpdated Feb 13, 2017 4:45 PM
Golden Apple named its 34 finalists Monday for its annual Excellence in Teaching awards, a list that includes more than a dozen teachers from the North, Northwest and West suburbs.
DuPage Democrats opposing proposed merger of county officesUpdated Feb 14, 2017 5:46 PM
Legislation is being considered in Springfield that would pave the way for the DuPage County Election Commission to be merged with the county clerk’s office. But DuPage Democrats who have floated the idea of returning election oversight power to the county clerk say they’re opposing the state measure because they believe it’s flawed.
- ‘Tuesdays With Morrie’ comes to West Chicago
West Chicago Calendar
Recently shared by others
- Apply for manufacturing scholarship by March 31
- Find your favorite Girl Scout Cookies at a booth near you
- Give a pint, get a St. Patrick’s Day-themed T-shirt by donating blood March 5-19
- Choral-Aires Chorus: “Everyone’s a Winner”
- Marmion Academy wins regional Latin competition
- U-46 to host ninth annual STEM Expo Feb. 25
- Russian Tea to feature pastries, vodka tasting, exhibits and guest speakers
- Lake County 4-H Presents 4-H International Festival
- Dancing, tasting and crafting for all at the Bartlett Library
- Foundation Establishes New Glenn Hansen Leadership Scholarship
- Garden Club of Downers Grove presents $1000 to West Chicago nursery and garden center employing young adults with disabilities Marianna Holm
- 4-day-old baby and dad cheer on Blackhawks. LEYLA YBARRA
THE BIG GAME WILL CONSIST OF THE BRONCOS AGAINST THE SEAHAWKS AND EVERY FACEBOOK FAN OF WINFIELD FLOWER SHOPPE WILL BE A WINNER!
IT?S SIMPLE! HERE?S WHAT TO DO TO WIN:
BE SURE YOU HAVE CLICKED THE ?LIKE? BUTTON ON OUR FACEBOOK PAGE. THEN ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS SELECT THE TEAM YOU THINK WILL WIN AND POST IT IN THIS THREAD. THAT?S IT!!
NOW HOPE FOR A LOT OF POINTS. EVERY POINT WILL BE WORTH $1 FOR A VOUCHER FROM WINFIELD FLOWER SHOPPE. EVERYONE IS A WINNER.
SO GO AHEAD, SELECT YOUR TEAM NOW AND YOU ARE GUARANTEED TO WIN! HOW MANY POINTS AND DOLLARS WILL YOUR GIFT CARD BE WORTH? ONLY THE OUTCOME OF THE GAME WILL DECIDE.
SPREAD THE WORD, SHARE THIS POST, AND LET YOUR FRIENDS PARTICIPATE TO GET A FREE GIFT VOUCHER FOR A PURCHASE FROM WINFIELD FLOWER SHOPPE TOO?. JUST IN TIME FOR VALENTINE?S DAY!
- After more than a decade in scouts, St. Francis senior and St. Michael School alum, Ian Hart, reached the ultimate milestone in scouting. On August 21, Ian became the most recent Eagle Scout of Boy Scout Troop 34. Ian is pictured with his mother, Sunny. Sunny Hart
- Employee volunteers from ComEd partnered with the Fox Valley Special Recreation Association to celebrate National Volunteer Week. The volunteers assisted and guided individuals with developmental disabilities during a bowling outing on Saturday, April 5, in West Chicago. ComEd
Commission Members Bring Impressive and Accomplished Backgrounds to Volunteer Appointments
Past chair of the West Chicago Cultural Arts Commission Buddy Plumlee working on an exterior mural for an area business façade. Photo courtesy Buddy Plumlee. Courtesty Buddy Plumlee
Fluid Running is making its way from Oak Brook Park District to Juneau, Alaska
Linda Kruger (right) of Juneau, Alaska is working on her Fluid Running certification with Founder Jennifer Conroyd (left) at the Oak Brook Park District's Family Aquatic Center, 1450 Forest Gate Road. Linda will be among the first certified Fluid Running instructors in the United States. Thank you Linda for helping The Oak Brook Park District and Fluid Running spread the benefits of this wonderful fitness and wellness opportunity across the country! Jessica Cannaday
- This is the site of the West Branch DuPage River Bike path on St. Charles Road just under the North Avenue bridge in West Chicago. The positioning of this path next to the DuPage River causes it to flood with a lot of rain. Erin Ryan
Harbinger of Spring
Goldfinch in a tree Roger Sudnick
- The West Chicago Garden Club’s Annual Plant Sale is a popular destination each year at Blooming Fest in historic downtown West Chicago. The addition of a Speakers’ Tent for 2013 compliments the garden event by featuring guest lecturers on horticultural topics such as tree diversity, container gardening and native landscaping. Krista Coltrin
- For mom's 70th birthday we wanted to do something completely unexpected. A surprise party was too obvious, so instead we bought her a billboard and put a great photo on it that we took on Mother's Day. The billboard is on Route 38 west of Route 59 in West Chicago. From left to right: Kaara (daughter), Bonnie (birthday mom), Jason (son) Jason Kallen
- Council of Catholic Women selling Spring Decor at annual fund-raiser at St. John the Baptist, Winfield Dee Bryja
- West Chicago soccer player transfers to Ecuador. This kid you see in this picture called, Alexis Quezada. From West Chicago's lives right on the border of Carol Stream as well. He is a 16 year old West Chicago Community student. He is not any normal teenager that loves the sport soccer. He is a rising talent. Played with Chicago Fire's youth academy which is in the MLS in Chicago. He recently transferred to Cuenca, Ecuador to play for Club Deportivo Cuenca. Deportivo Cuenca and also teams from Mexico were interested in him and tried signing this young star. At just 16 years of age, he's living in Ecuador with his fathers family as his parents are currently living in West Chicago still and now living his "dream". Photo taken last month on January 15, 2014. Club Deportivo Cuenca Soccer Club
More West Chicago News
- West Chicago Sports
- Burlington Central defeats Wheaton Academy
- West Aurora rolls over West Chicago
- Glenbard East shows it can’t be taken for granted
- Fenton, Glenbard South feeling good about sectional
- West Chicago Business
- How a suburban piano-tuner ended up with a Grammy
- Workshop to focus on IT workforce’s future
- COD offers new building systems automation program
- West Chicago Entertainment
- How a suburban piano-tuner ended up with a Grammy
- Find ideas at Old House New House Home Show in St. Charles
Points of Interest
- Toggle map points:
- Community Colleges
- Bartlett High School
- 701 Schick Rd.
Bartlett, Il 60103
- Dark Green/Navy Blue/White
- Elgin High School
- 1200 Maroon Dr.
Elgin, Il 60120-8197
- St. Charles East High School
- 1020 Dunham Rd.
St. Charles, Il 60174
- Fighting Saints
- West Chicago Community High School
- 326 Joliet St.
West Chicago, Il 60185-3142
- Navy Blue/White
- Wheaton Academy
- 900 Prince Crossing Rd.
West Chicago, Il 60185
- Bartlett Public Library District
- (630) 837-2855
- 800 S. Bartlett Road
Bartlett, Illinois 60103
- St. Charles Public Library
- (630) 584-0076
- 1 S. Sixth Ave.
St. Charles, Illinois 60174
- West Chicago Public Library District
- (630) 231-1552
- 118 W. Washington St.
West Chicago, Illinois 60185
Daily Herald Communities
- Where History and Progress Meet
- 41.888378, -88.209659
- DuPage County