Communities » Buffalo Grove Area News
Mundelein fire chief taking new post with state groupMundelein Fire Chief Tim Sashko will leave the department at the end of the week for a post with a statewide industry group. He'd led the department since 2007.Last Updated Apr 28, 2015 12:27 AM
Constable: Buffalo Grove boy's necklaces a hit with Bulls playersUpdated Apr 23, 2015 5:40 AM
Excited to cheer on his Chicago Bulls, 3-year-old Noah Diamond and his dad of Buffalo Grove made good-luck necklaces for the players. Those necklaces are hanging in the players' lockers and the Bulls are looking to take a 3-0 lead today in their playoff matchup against the Bucks.
Buffalo Grove, police officers agree to new, two-year contractUpdated Apr 22, 2015 2:29 PM
Buffalo Grove has reached agreement with its police officers’ union on a new two-year contract awarding members of the rank-and-file 1.5 percent annual pay hikes. The deal also gives officers a uniform allowance and calls for future discussions about a "pay for performance" plan.
Colorful staff photos you may have missed last weekUpdated Apr 27, 2015 3:02 PM
Is your town one of the two dozen represented in this collection of colorful photos made by Daily Herald staff photographers last week.
- More community news
- See the winning images from our weekly photo contest
Buffalo Grove Calendar
Recently shared by others
- U of I Extension to host bird flu conference call
- Administer Justice honors volunteers
- Illinois prepares as poultry in Midwest infected with bird flu
- Visit Nanotechnology Family Festival at CLC Southlake Campus
- CLC professors receive 2014-15 teaching excellence awards
- Grandparent Resource Fair
- April 29: CLC sponsors tobacco cessation workshop by expert presenter
- GLMV Chamber of Commerce Presents "KickStart Your Marketing...add zing to your SEO & Social Media"
- Rotary Club of Buffalo Grove hosts Pizza Fest April 22
- Buffalo Grove Rotary offers community grants
- Sentimental summer gathering of sorority sisters enjoys lunch at Blackfinn. Alumnae members of Northwest Suburban Alumnae Club plan philanthropic events and social gatherings. Since 1961, Alpha Gam women have shared a common goal to contribute to the world's work in their community. Front row L to R: Bonnie Everhard, Barbara Benson, Nancy Clauser, Sandra Enright. Back row L to R : Pat Smith, Mary Herther, Barbara Willmarth, Kay Bradley, Louann Lawson, Reta Holmgren, Cherrie Wickstrom, Sue Rogers. Pat Smith, Alpha Gamma Delta Publicity Chair
- Nathan Cummings of Grayslake was the overall men's winner at the Long Grove Heritage Run on Sept. 8 with a time of 18:28. Nathan participated on behalf of OMNI Youth Services, one of the 10 charities participating in this year's event. G Dorner
- Claire Froehlicher (age 9) worked with school administrators for over a year to host a school-wide walk to raise money for JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation. Over $6,100 was raised. Over 500 students and staff "walked a mile for JDRF" submitting paper shoes with the names of every donor that sponsored their walk. Colleen Froehlicher
- Claire Froehlicher (age 9) and Meagan Froehlicher (age 19) stand in front of the wall of shoes after a successful walk to raise money for JDRF was held at Ivy Hill Elementary School. Claire worked with school administrators for more than a year to make this walk happen. Raising funds for JDRF is important to Claire as her older sister has been living with type 1 diabetes for over 8 years Colleen Froehlicher
- Dan Serrano of Barrington was just one of many Harper students to stop by the National Save a Life Tour in the College's Student Center April 2. The tour's state-of-the-art simulators recreate the experience of driving under the influence of alcohol and driving while texting in an effort to make students aware of the dangers of high risk behavior. This event was sponsored by Campus Activities Board. Harper College News Bureau
- Susan Saint James (seated, second from right) joins classmates of 50 years ago at Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart Reunion Weekend during which she was the keynote speaker Oct. 4. Also pictured are, from left, Peggy Connelly Karol, Geri-Anne Benning, Mariclaire Halligan Dixon, Mary Ann Entrup, Colleen Sullivan Farrell, Saint James and Suzie Floberg Hayes. John Rodas
Andy Avalos at Macy's Collecting for Salvation Army
It was so nice to meet Andy doing a good cause for Christmas. He really is a nice man. Mary Kay Whalen
- Sophomore Willa Hart of Winnetka will perform a cello solo during the Woodlands Academy Symphonic Orchestra?s rendition of "Stille Nacht" by Mannheim Steamroller during the annual Christmas Concert Thursday, Dec. 5, at 7 p.m. This event, open to the public free of charge, features choral and orchestral music of the season. It takes place in the Chapel of the Sacred Heart at the school, 760 E. Westleigh Road, Lake Forest. Visit www.woodlandsacademy.org for more information. Woodlands Academy
- Before a round of golf at famous Bandon Dunes Resort in Oregon, I took an early morning walk and came upon this footpath to the beach. August 26, 2013. Richard Ruebe
- The BG Singers are preparing for their 21st Annual Choral Concert, "Coast to Coast" at Stevenson High School in the West Auditorium on November 8 and 9 at 7:30 and Nov. 10 at 3:00. Tickets are available at the door or bigdealproductions.org. For further information, contact Lindsay Grandt at 847 850-2132 Debbie Macklin
- Saint Mary BG Preschool thru 2nd graders line up on decorated bicycles to parade around the football field prior to homecoming games. Leading the way is Colton Schwabe (Arlington Heights) Lisa Schawbe
- Nature lovers will have the chance to get a close look at birds of prey big and small at the Grand Opening of Raptorland at Vogelei Park (650 W. Higgins Rd) in Hoffman Estates on Sun., May 18 from 2-4 p.m. The community is invited to walk through the new exhibit of raptors' mews (houses) where these beautiful birds will live year-round. Experts will be on hand to speak about the birds and answer questions. The exhibit is presented by The Northern Illinois Raptor Center (NIRC). Hoffman Estates Park District
- Nearly 100 fourth-through-seventh-grade students from St. Malachy School in Chicago visited Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart in Lake Forest Feb. 7 for a day of events including an uplifting gospel liturgy, pizza lunch, talent show and a carnival. This celebration marked the latest chapter in a Black History Month tradition between the inner-city grade school and the North Shore high school dating back to 1996. Pictured here, students from both schools joined the combined choirs at the conclusion of the gospel liturgy to sing “We Shall Overcome” in honor of Pete Seeger, who passed away Jan. 27. Woodlands Academy
"Bridge to somewhere"
Bridge from Village Green to our new grocery store , Fresh Market George Helmbock
- Buffalo Grove resident Steve Goldstein poses with Chicago Wolves mascot, Skates, during his visit to the LifeSource-sponsored Chicago Wolves' Blood Drive held March 25 at Allstate Arena. As his reward for donating, Goldstein was given a tour of the Wolves' team locker room and its team facilities. LifeSource collected more than 71 units of blood at the drive. Joe White
- The 8th grade girls Hersey Huskies feeder team won the Northern Illinois Girls Feeder Association chamionship this season. The team's 3 year league record was 70 - 1. k. burnetti
- Children at Kingswood Preschool plant flowers and vegetables outside in the garden. One of many "hands on" opportunities offered throughout the school year and summer camp. Laura Kopk
- 2012-13 Christian Liberty's 1st Baseball Regional Win!! 5-18-13 6-0. Winning pitcher, only pitcher Senior David Colbert. Team won this together. Great plays by Aaron Karr, Shawn Andersen, Juan Pagan, Aaron Cunningham and last out caught by Brendan Brosnan. David did an awesome job pitching and catching line drives at the mount. Freshman Tim Laskowski, Peter Grob and Jimmy Calkins thanks for getting on base in order to score. Aaron Karr, Shawn Andersen, way to move our players on the bases with your great hits-triples and doubles and Daniel Glad and JD for your great catches. This was definitely a team playing together to win the victory. Eileen Glad
It’s countdown time for Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart’s 41st annual financial aid fundraiser, Congé. Modeling this year’s theme colors are (from left) Co-Chair Mary Oelerich of Chicago, Silent Auction Chair Alison Kohlmeyer of Lake Forest and Co-Chair Jean Olson of Evanston. The fundraising starts at 9 a.m. Friday, April 11, with online bidding at www.bidpal.net/Congé for a variety of exciting silent auction items such as four VIP tickets to a Los Angeles taping of Conan O’Brien’s TBS TV show, a Chicago Blackhawks hockey stick signed by members of the 2013-14 team and for wine enthusiasts, a 750ml bottle of Chateau Petrus Pomerol (2006). Online bids will be accepted up to and then as part of the silent auction that takes place during the Congé dinner event which begins with cocktails at 6 p.m. Saturday, April 26, at the Glen View Club, 100 Golf Road, Golf, IL. Silent auction bidding ends at 10 p.m.
For more information about Congé contact Woodlands Academy Associate Director of Advancement for Special Events Tami Rocha at 847-234-4300, ext. 226 or visit www.woodlandsacademy.org Woodlands Academy
- Congregation Beth Am of Buffalo Grove dedicates its new home.
- Congregation Beth Am of Buffalo Grove Volunteers to bring Rosh Hashanah food to those in need JV Springman
- On Yom Kippur, Jews choose to observe a fast from food. While members of Congregation Beth Am choose to fast, members also work together to help those who fast because they have no choice. Annual Yom Kippur food drive is a success thanks to the donations of Beth Am's many members. In this picture, Beth Am Congregant Carly Springman helps collect the bags. Rabbi Richard Prass
- Rabbi Richard Prass
- Coyote standing on island in Cherbourg subdivision pond in Buffalo Grove. Ken McBeath
- Coyote on island in Cherbourg subdivision pond in Buffalo Grove Ken McBeath
Aaron Gabriel Prep Sports Editor
Charles Keeshan Deputy City Editor
James Kane Deputy City Editor
Jeff Knox Senior Director of Photography
Norrine Twohey Community News Coordinator
Steve Zalusky Staff Writer
More Buffalo Grove News
- Buffalo Grove Sports
- Constable: Buffalo Grove boy's necklaces a hit with Bulls players
- Buffalo Grove Business
- Buffalo Grove OKs medical marijuana seller
- Buffalo Grove Entertainment
- Constable: Buffalo Grove boy's necklaces a hit with Bulls players
- Buffalo Grove OKs medical marijuana seller
- Wheeling artist chooses chocolate to make his sculptures
Points of Interest
- Toggle map points:
- Community Colleges
- Adlai E. Stevenson High School
- 1 Stevenson Dr.
Lincolnshire, Il 60069
- Forest Green/Gold
- Buffalo Grove High School
- 1100 W. Dundee Rd.
Buffalo Grove, Il 60089
- Navy Blue/Burnt Orange/White
- John Hersey High School
- 1900 E. Thomas St.
Arlington Heights, Il 60004-4392
- Wheeling High School
- 900 S. Elmhurst Rd.
Wheeling, Il 60090
- Royal Blue/Athletic Gold/White
Daily Herald Communities
- Commitment to Excellence
- 42.166332, -87.963391