Communities » Northbrook Area News
Thieves adopt ‘crash-and-grab’ tacticsAll the burglars use the same audacious tactics: A vehicle crashes through a storefront in the wee hours and up to six people in dark clothing and ski masks pour out, grabbing whatever they can with the speed of a NASCAR pit crew. Then the thieves dash out over the broken glass to a waiting getaway car. Since September, at least a dozen “crash-and-grab” burglaries have been reported at retail businesses in Chicago and the surrounding suburbs.Last Updated Dec 15, 2014 4:48 PM
Don’t hold your breath waiting for Cuban cigarsUpdated Dec 18, 2014 2:12 PM
A suburban tobacco distributor doesn’t expect to sell his first Cuban cigar for at least a year, and possibly much longer.
CFA accuses Allstate of illegal pricing schemeUpdated Dec 17, 2014 5:59 PM
A Washington, D.C.-based consumer watchdog group Wednesday claimed Northbrook-based Allstate is part of an illegal pricing scheme in several states, including Illinois.
Allstate announces management shake-up, renewed focus on customersUpdated Dec 17, 2014 12:38 PM
Northbrook-based Allstate Corp. announced Wednesday a management shake-up in a reorganization aimed at focusing attention closely on customers and improving efficiency of operations. Allstate said that Matt Winter, president of the company’s personal insurance division, will move become president of Allstate and chief executive officer of Allstate Life Insurance Co.
Recently shared by others
- Lake County Center for Independent Living to celebrate 25 years
- Annual MLK breakfast will feature leader of interfaith youth movement
- Oak Brook-based IMRF Receives Excellence Award
- Streamwood Behavioral Healthcare System Finds Creative Ways to Celebrate Holidays with Patients and Staff
- The Season of Giving?
- Ellen Atlas, Bonnie Wilson and Theresa Anderson of Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices KoenigRubloff Realty Group Appointed to Leadership Positions for the Women’s Council of REALTORS®
- National Association of REALTORS® Selects Nancy Nagy of Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices KoenigRubloff Realty Group to Serve on Board of Directors
- Northwestern Mutual Honors Spengel with Forum Membership
- Local Mom Develops Spiritual Website For Her & Kids
- North Shore Resident/Vienna Beef Executive Publishes ‘Never Put Ketchup on a Hot Dog’
- The BG Singers are preparing for their 21st Annual Choral Concert, "Coast to Coast" at Stevenson High School in the West Auditorium on November 8 and 9 at 7:30 and Nov. 10 at 3:00. Tickets are available at the door or bigdealproductions.org. For further information, contact Lindsay Grandt at 847 850-2132 Debbie Macklin
- Dr. Jerry Weber, president of the College of Lake County, gets a blue streak sprayed in his hair from Allison Brand, an elementary education major who volunteered at the 'Light it up Blue" Autism awareness event held April 2 at the college. College of Lake County
- ComEd President and CEO Anne Pramaggiore led employees from ComEd and their family members during an environmental volunteer outing at the Chicago Botanic Garden on Saturday, April 27, to celebrate the end of National Volunteer Week (April 21-27). photo courtesy of Exelon
- Barrington High School Gymnast, Danny Schnura places 1st in All-Around at Friday's Freshman Invitational in Hinsdale. Eleven schools competed and Barrington High School finished 4th for overall team. Go Broncos! T. Lauderdale
- Deerfield accounting firm Kessler Orlean Silver is serving as a local drop off location for the Vernon Hills-based Sports Shed, a non-profit organization which has distributed more than 5,000 pieces of sports equipment to organizations that provide sports programs for kids in need all over the Chicago area. Donations can be delivered to KOS at 1101 Lake Cook Road, Suite C, Deerfield. Pictured are, from left, KOS managing partner Jeff Arnol of Deerfield; Sports Shed founder Tina Sernett of Vernon Hills; KOS partner Ben Darcy of Buffalo Grove; and manager Diana Angulo of Harwood Heights. Dave Silbar
- Chiropractic is on the rise in Kenya. Dr. Jeff Kahrs and Dr. Warren Bruhl recently adjusted hundreds of patients during a mission trip sponsored by Northbrook-based charity Dreamweaver International. Bruhl and Kahrs experience office hours 'in the bush' in photo. Working under an Acacia tree in a tiny village near Amboseli, Bruhl and Kahrs learned about the Masaai's many natural herbal treatments derived from trees and shrubs growing on the slopes of Mount Kilimanjaro, not far from their headquarters. Their hope would be the inclusion of the Massai's natural methods for healing along with chiropractic and the advanced medical procedures and remedies Dreamweaver International can provide, creating a thoroughly comprehensive method for their needs to help heal the region. The Rift Valley of Kenya includes some of the most under resourced people in the world, but harbors amongst them the highest level of ingenuity, ability and desire to live Bruhl has ever known. Dr. Warren Bruhl serves as Director of Dreamweaver International and as the Executive Director of partner program, Gear for Goals. For more information on ways you can help, visit http://www.dreamweaver911.org. Dreamweaver International
- (l-r) Jill Silbar of Vernon Hills is joined by daughters Emma and Maddy as they receive manicures from Midtown Athletic Club nail technician Agnes Wielogorski. Gearing up for Mothers Day, The Spa at Midtown Bannockburn is inviting all moms and daughters to a special day of massages, manicures, pedicures, make up and more, on Thursday, May 9, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Cost is just $30 per person and includes two luxurious spa treatments each. To schedule an appointment, contact The Spa at (847) 945-1818 or email firstname.lastname@example.org . Courtesy of Midtown Athletic Club
- Girl Scout Troop 40523 delivered cookies to the homeless at JOURNEYS | The Road Home in Palatine. The clients felt grateful receiving such a special treat. JOURNEYS | The Road Home
- Women gathered for a wonderful luncheon at the Inverness Golf Club April 30 to benefit JOURNEYS | The Road Home. JOURNEYS provides supportive services to over 1,300 homeless and at risk families and individuals annually. It also manages the PADS shelter program. The "Garden of Giving" Women's Luncheon raised nearly $8,000. JOURNEYS | The Road Home
Liquid Fusion Cafe Lincolnshire Grand Opening
Pictured is the barrista counter of the anticipated grand opening of Liquid Fusion Cafe, 275 Parkway Drive, Suite 315 in Lincolnshire, will officially take place on Sept. 23 at 1 p.m. Johan Lee
"Local Girl Needs Help"
A little girl in our community needs help with medical expenses. Her name is Isabella Oliver. Please see her story at: www.gofundme.com/Isabellasjourney. "Give, and you will receive...The amount you give will determine the amount you get back." Luke 6:38. Friends of Isabella Oliver
Snow grillin' New Years Day, 2014
Natural snow formation on backyard grill. Virginia Johnson
- Dandelion Gallery in Waukegan will honor Hispanic Heritage Month with a large installation by Mexican-American emerging artist Katrina Davis-Salazar titled "Oración de los Números: Economizing Memory, Sanity, & Hours." This show will coincide with ArtWauk and also will include work by 23 talented member artists. Opening reception will be 5 to 9 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 15 at Dandelion Gallery, 109 S. Genesee St. Davis-Salazar's works will be priced from $12 to $500 and sold in interactive ways that resemble a warehouse sale. Katrina Davis Salazar
Wine Tasting Banishes Cabin Fever For Record Crowd
Barry and Mary Ellen Masek of Park Ridge enjoy swirling and sipping one of 60 wines at Clearbrook’s 50th annual A Grapevine of Friends Wine Tasting. More than 450 people attended the wine extravaganza. Chicago Corporate Photography
- Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart seniors (from left) Bunny Olson of Evanston, Charlotte McMenamin Walshe of Highland Park, and Anna Deberry of Green Oaks, welcomed the class of 2017 to the Lake Forest school Aug. 28. Woodlands Academy
More Northbrook News
- Northbrook Business
- Don’t hold your breath waiting for Cuban cigars
- CFA accuses Allstate of illegal pricing scheme
- Allstate announces management shake-up
- Allstate’s Parking Reminder tool helps navigate crowded parking lots
- Northbrook Discussion
- Senators, lead out against carbon pollution
Points of Interest
- Toggle map points:
- Community Colleges
- Glenbrook North High School
- 2300 Shermer Rd.
Northbrook, Il 60062
- Dark Green/Gold
- Glenbrook South High School
- 4000 W. Lake Av.
Glenview, Il 60026
Daily Herald Communities
- 42.129226, -87.840715