Communities » Northbrook Area News
Police: Attorney from Prospect Heights was strangled in Northbrook officeAn attorney from Prospect Heights was strangled and found dead on the floor of his office Wednesday, police have revealed.Last Updated Dec 10, 2016 3:58 PM
Winter storm warning starting tonight for suburbsUpdated Dec 10, 2016 11:48 AM
The National Weather Service has issued a Winter Storm Warning starting at 6 p.m. today and ending midnight Monday.
Police: Prospect Heights attorney murdered in NorthbrookUpdated Dec 9, 2016 7:20 PM
A Prospect Heights man has been found murdered in his Northbrook law office in what authorities called an isolated incident.
Lake Zurich man dies from drug not seen before in Cook CountyUpdated Dec 9, 2016 11:53 AM
A 35-year-old Lake Zurich man was one of two recent deaths attributed to opioids never before seen in Cook County and the number of deaths attributed to a powerful opioid have increased nearly fourfold, according to the Cook County medical examiner’s office.
New Cook County state’s attorney says she’ll be a regular at suburban courthousesUpdated Dec 5, 2016 6:17 PM
New Cook County State’s Attorney Kim Foxx said Monday a top priority as she takes the helm of the prosecutor’s office is to get to know issues and staff at suburban courthouses.
Teacher advisory council meetingUpdated Dec 5, 2016 4:38 PM
59th District state Rep. Carol Sente of Vernon Hills is hosting a Teacher Advisory Council meeting from 6:30 to 8 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 8 at the Vernon Hills Park District Laschen Center, 294 Evergreen Drive, to engage teachers in the legislative process and to learn more about the issues they face in the classroom.
Recently shared by others
- COD Opens ‘Fuel’ Food Pantry to Help Fight Food Insecurity on Campus
- Revamped Coaching Staff Readies for COD Track and Field Season
- COD Offers Writing Trip to West Africa Summer 2017
- College of DuPage Chaparrals Best Central Lakes College in Inaugural Red Grange Bowl
- COD Team Leads Midwest Region in Student Math League Competition
- Celebrate New Year’s Eve at 210 Restaurant & Live Music Lounge
- YMCA Holiday Extravaganza Welcomes North Pole Celebrities
- Emmy Award-Winning National Geographic Series Focuses National Attention on Waukegan
- Rochelle Zell Jewish High School Recognized Among Top Schools in America
- College of DuPage December ‘Images’ Highlights Distinguished Alum Margaret Yancey, MAC 30th Anniversary Celebration
- 9-1-1 Director Robert Kujawa congratulates Telecommunicator Brian Riley with the "Telecommunicator of the Year" award during the awards ceremony at the Northbrook Police Department. Becky Nelson
- Dr. Jerry Weber, president of the College of Lake County, gets a blue streak sprayed in his hair from Allison Brand, an elementary education major who volunteered at the 'Light it up Blue" Autism awareness event held April 2 at the college. College of Lake County
- ComEd President and CEO Anne Pramaggiore led employees from ComEd and their family members during an environmental volunteer outing at the Chicago Botanic Garden on Saturday, April 27, to celebrate the end of National Volunteer Week (April 21-27). photo courtesy of Exelon
- Gil Heinrich, former U.S. Army Corporal and Covenant Village of Northbrook resident, shares a hug with Ageless Aviation pilot Mike Sommar after his flight. Covenant Village of Northbrook
- Former U.S. Army Private First Class and Covenant Village of Northbrook resident Ken Erickson is all smiles after his flight with Ageless Aviation in the open cockpit of a Boeing Stearman. Covenant Village of Northbrook
- Covenant Village of Northbrook resident Tom Nelson (former Staff Sergeant, U.S. Army) is ready to soar the Chicago skies in the Boeing Stearman thanks to Ageless Aviation. Covenant Village of Northbrook
- WWII airplane enthusiast and Covnenat Village of Northbrook resident, Jim Jacobsen gives the 'thumbs up' signal to the Ageless Aviation pilot, Mike Sommar right before take off. Covenant Village of Northbrook
- Covenant Village of Northbrook resident Ed Mahon (former Private First Class, U.S. Army) shares his enthusiasm about the exhilarating open cockpit flight with Ageless Aviation staff Lynn and Mike Sommar. Covenant Village of Northbrook
- Deerfield accounting firm Kessler Orlean Silver is serving as a local drop off location for the Vernon Hills-based Sports Shed, a non-profit organization which has distributed more than 5,000 pieces of sports equipment to organizations that provide sports programs for kids in need all over the Chicago area. Donations can be delivered to KOS at 1101 Lake Cook Road, Suite C, Deerfield. Pictured are, from left, KOS managing partner Jeff Arnol of Deerfield; Sports Shed founder Tina Sernett of Vernon Hills; KOS partner Ben Darcy of Buffalo Grove; and manager Diana Angulo of Harwood Heights. Dave Silbar
- Armed with a mission to provide underprivileged children around the world with the opportunity to play, compete and enjoy sports through access to equipment, Northbrook-based youth charity Gear for Goals recently boosted their efforts in Latin America by connecting traveler and supporter Larry Baum with a good cause. During the effort, Baum combined a business trip with the opportunity to do good, delivering 400 lbs. of sports gear to grateful and enthusiastic kids in La Romana at the Ninos de Cristo orphanage. Gear for Goals' Compassion Program fosters hope for kids around the world by connecting travelers with much-needed sports gear. For more information on ways to help, visit http://www.Dreamweaver911.org. Dreamweaver International
- (l-r) Jill Silbar of Vernon Hills is joined by daughters Emma and Maddy as they receive manicures from Midtown Athletic Club nail technician Agnes Wielogorski. Gearing up for Mothers Day, The Spa at Midtown Bannockburn is inviting all moms and daughters to a special day of massages, manicures, pedicures, make up and more, on Thursday, May 9, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Cost is just $30 per person and includes two luxurious spa treatments each. To schedule an appointment, contact The Spa at (847) 945-1818 or email firstname.lastname@example.org . Courtesy of Midtown Athletic Club
- Girl Scout Troop 40523 delivered cookies to the homeless at JOURNEYS | The Road Home in Palatine. The clients felt grateful receiving such a special treat. JOURNEYS | The Road Home
- Women gathered for a wonderful luncheon at the Inverness Golf Club April 30 to benefit JOURNEYS | The Road Home. JOURNEYS provides supportive services to over 1,300 homeless and at risk families and individuals annually. It also manages the PADS shelter program. The "Garden of Giving" Women's Luncheon raised nearly $8,000. JOURNEYS | The Road Home
Liquid Fusion Cafe Lincolnshire Grand Opening
Pictured is the barrista counter of the anticipated grand opening of Liquid Fusion Cafe, 275 Parkway Drive, Suite 315 in Lincolnshire, will officially take place on Sept. 23 at 1 p.m. Johan Lee
"Local Girl Needs Help"
A little girl in our community needs help with medical expenses. Her name is Isabella Oliver. Please see her story at: www.gofundme.com/Isabellasjourney. "Give, and you will receive...The amount you give will determine the amount you get back." Luke 6:38. Friends of Isabella Oliver
Snow grillin' New Years Day, 2014
Natural snow formation on backyard grill. Virginia Johnson
- Dandelion Gallery in Waukegan will honor Hispanic Heritage Month with a large installation by Mexican-American emerging artist Katrina Davis-Salazar titled "Oración de los Números: Economizing Memory, Sanity, & Hours." This show will coincide with ArtWauk and also will include work by 23 talented member artists. Opening reception will be 5 to 9 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 15 at Dandelion Gallery, 109 S. Genesee St. Davis-Salazar's works will be priced from $12 to $500 and sold in interactive ways that resemble a warehouse sale. Katrina Davis Salazar
Points of Interest
- Toggle map points:
- Community Colleges
- Glenbrook North High School
- 2300 Shermer Rd.
Northbrook, Il 60062
- Dark Green/Gold
- Glenbrook South High School
- 4000 W. Lake Av.
Glenview, Il 60026
Daily Herald Communities
- 42.129226, -87.840715