Communities » Northbrook Area News
Wheeling drops opener at Glenbrook NorthWheeling’s football team started its season with a 40-34 at Glenbrook North on Friday in nonconference play.Last Updated Aug 29, 2015 12:59 AM
Maine Twp. deaths appear to be carbon monoxide: sheriffUpdated Aug 28, 2015 6:15 PM
Carbon monoxide poisoning is what appears to have killed a father and son in Maine Township, the Cook County Sheriff's Police now say.
Traffic moving freely again on I-90 at River RoadUpdated Aug 28, 2015 8:47 AM
Traffic is moving freely again after authorities moved a truck fire that was causing delays on I-90 at River Road, authorities said.
Dawn patrol: Investigators seek clues in hazmat deaths; Ingleside victims identifiedUpdated Aug 28, 2015 6:02 AM
Investigators comb scene for clues in deaths at Des Plaines-area home. Two victims of Ingleside car crash identified. Glen Ellyn mulls how to handle downtown construction zones. Carpentersville receives federal grant for new ambulance equipment. Bulls' Rose 'confident' he'll be proven innocent of rape accusations. Giants club Chicago Cubs 9-1. Sox beat Seattle 4-2. Blackhawks, Elgin Country Club members team up for help former colleague's family.
Des Plaines man who won millions in wrongful conviction settlement faces new chargesUpdated Aug 27, 2015 12:30 PM
A Des Plaines man who once won a $25 million jury award for his wrongful murder conviction from Chicago is facing federal gun charges following a shooting last week.
Gov. Rauner’s heroin bill veto causes disappointment — and cautious hopePosted Aug 26, 2015 5:15 AM
Anti-heroin advocates reacted mostly with disappointment to Gov. Bruce Rauner's veto of the Heroin Crisis Act, but said there is some hope portions of the bill he supported can become law soon.
State of the Suburbs: Recreation finds creative ways to expandUpdated Aug 29, 2015 1:21 PM
From golf course renovations to construction of fitness centers growth in public recreation facilities and initiatives abound throughout the suburbs.
Dawn Patrol: Antioch woman charged in hit-and-run; missing Algonquin dog found after 15 daysUpdated Aug 27, 2015 5:48 AM
Antioch woman charged in fatal hit-and-run. Missing Algonquin dog, Wrigley, found safe after 15 days. Kane County planning for possible state income tax shortfall. What’s next for nearly-vacant Wheeling shopping mall? Geneva man pleads guilty in DUI crash that killed two in Naperville. Police say Mt. Prospect woman walked around gates before being struck by train.
Dawn Patrol: Man killed in Wauconda robbery had BB gun, police say; Pedestrian killed by train in Mt. ProspectUpdated Aug 26, 2015 5:45 AM
Officials say man killed in Wauconda robbery carrying BB gun; Pedestrian killed by train in Mt. Prospect; DuPage may discuss using bailiffs for court security to save money; Striking Barrington High janitors say restore pay and we'll negotiate; Algonquin man accused of sex toy attack at haunted house gets probation and fine; Addison man says vicious attack was over $50 debt.
- Duckworth, Foster, undecided on Iran deal
- Dawn Patrol: Body found along I-290; industrial building burns near Elk Grove
Recently shared by others
- Trees Downed in 2012 Storm Crafted into Stand for Local Bell
- Veterans invited to boat on the Fox River with local rowing clubs
- TMA Board Members Speak at DMDII Smart Manufacturing Panel
- Impact Networking is Great Rated! By Employees for 2-Years in Row
- Highwood artist pays tribute to 9/11 with sculpture
- Exciting school year begins at Benedictine University: new president, business building, programs among list of what’s new
- Call for Art Goes Out for 2016 Community Banner Art Project
- ArtShare Saturday at Gallery 200 – Watch and Wonder
- Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over
- Ready, Set, Go: Healthy West Chicago Community Action Plan Released
- 9-1-1 Director Robert Kujawa congratulates Telecommunicator Brian Riley with the "Telecommunicator of the Year" award during the awards ceremony at the Northbrook Police Department. Becky Nelson
- Dr. Jerry Weber, president of the College of Lake County, gets a blue streak sprayed in his hair from Allison Brand, an elementary education major who volunteered at the 'Light it up Blue" Autism awareness event held April 2 at the college. College of Lake County
- ComEd President and CEO Anne Pramaggiore led employees from ComEd and their family members during an environmental volunteer outing at the Chicago Botanic Garden on Saturday, April 27, to celebrate the end of National Volunteer Week (April 21-27). photo courtesy of Exelon
- Gil Heinrich, former U.S. Army Corporal and Covenant Village of Northbrook resident, shares a hug with Ageless Aviation pilot Mike Sommar after his flight. Covenant Village of Northbrook
- Former U.S. Army Private First Class and Covenant Village of Northbrook resident Ken Erickson is all smiles after his flight with Ageless Aviation in the open cockpit of a Boeing Stearman. Covenant Village of Northbrook
- Covenant Village of Northbrook resident Tom Nelson (former Staff Sergeant, U.S. Army) is ready to soar the Chicago skies in the Boeing Stearman thanks to Ageless Aviation. Covenant Village of Northbrook
- WWII airplane enthusiast and Covnenat Village of Northbrook resident, Jim Jacobsen gives the 'thumbs up' signal to the Ageless Aviation pilot, Mike Sommar right before take off. Covenant Village of Northbrook
- Covenant Village of Northbrook resident Ed Mahon (former Private First Class, U.S. Army) shares his enthusiasm about the exhilarating open cockpit flight with Ageless Aviation staff Lynn and Mike Sommar. Covenant Village of Northbrook
- Deerfield accounting firm Kessler Orlean Silver is serving as a local drop off location for the Vernon Hills-based Sports Shed, a non-profit organization which has distributed more than 5,000 pieces of sports equipment to organizations that provide sports programs for kids in need all over the Chicago area. Donations can be delivered to KOS at 1101 Lake Cook Road, Suite C, Deerfield. Pictured are, from left, KOS managing partner Jeff Arnol of Deerfield; Sports Shed founder Tina Sernett of Vernon Hills; KOS partner Ben Darcy of Buffalo Grove; and manager Diana Angulo of Harwood Heights. Dave Silbar
- Armed with a mission to provide underprivileged children around the world with the opportunity to play, compete and enjoy sports through access to equipment, Northbrook-based youth charity Gear for Goals recently boosted their efforts in Latin America by connecting traveler and supporter Larry Baum with a good cause. During the effort, Baum combined a business trip with the opportunity to do good, delivering 400 lbs. of sports gear to grateful and enthusiastic kids in La Romana at the Ninos de Cristo orphanage. Gear for Goals' Compassion Program fosters hope for kids around the world by connecting travelers with much-needed sports gear. For more information on ways to help, visit http://www.Dreamweaver911.org. Dreamweaver International
- (l-r) Jill Silbar of Vernon Hills is joined by daughters Emma and Maddy as they receive manicures from Midtown Athletic Club nail technician Agnes Wielogorski. Gearing up for Mothers Day, The Spa at Midtown Bannockburn is inviting all moms and daughters to a special day of massages, manicures, pedicures, make up and more, on Thursday, May 9, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Cost is just $30 per person and includes two luxurious spa treatments each. To schedule an appointment, contact The Spa at (847) 945-1818 or email firstname.lastname@example.org . Courtesy of Midtown Athletic Club
- Girl Scout Troop 40523 delivered cookies to the homeless at JOURNEYS | The Road Home in Palatine. The clients felt grateful receiving such a special treat. JOURNEYS | The Road Home
- Women gathered for a wonderful luncheon at the Inverness Golf Club April 30 to benefit JOURNEYS | The Road Home. JOURNEYS provides supportive services to over 1,300 homeless and at risk families and individuals annually. It also manages the PADS shelter program. The "Garden of Giving" Women's Luncheon raised nearly $8,000. JOURNEYS | The Road Home
Liquid Fusion Cafe Lincolnshire Grand Opening
Pictured is the barrista counter of the anticipated grand opening of Liquid Fusion Cafe, 275 Parkway Drive, Suite 315 in Lincolnshire, will officially take place on Sept. 23 at 1 p.m. Johan Lee
"Local Girl Needs Help"
A little girl in our community needs help with medical expenses. Her name is Isabella Oliver. Please see her story at: www.gofundme.com/Isabellasjourney. "Give, and you will receive...The amount you give will determine the amount you get back." Luke 6:38. Friends of Isabella Oliver
Snow grillin' New Years Day, 2014
Natural snow formation on backyard grill. Virginia Johnson
- Dandelion Gallery in Waukegan will honor Hispanic Heritage Month with a large installation by Mexican-American emerging artist Katrina Davis-Salazar titled "Oración de los Números: Economizing Memory, Sanity, & Hours." This show will coincide with ArtWauk and also will include work by 23 talented member artists. Opening reception will be 5 to 9 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 15 at Dandelion Gallery, 109 S. Genesee St. Davis-Salazar's works will be priced from $12 to $500 and sold in interactive ways that resemble a warehouse sale. Katrina Davis Salazar
More Northbrook News
- Northbrook Sports
- Wheeling drops opener at Glenbrook North
- Northbrook Business
- State of the Suburbs: Recreation finds creative ways to expand
- NAI Hiffman gets leasing assignment for two suburban office centers
- Walgreens cuts 370 jobs, including 270 in suburbs
- Wheeling approves tax exemption for planned industrial building
Points of Interest
- Toggle map points:
- Community Colleges
- Glenbrook North High School
- 2300 Shermer Rd.
Northbrook, Il 60062
- Dark Green/Gold
- Glenbrook South High School
- 4000 W. Lake Av.
Glenview, Il 60026
Daily Herald Communities
- 42.129226, -87.840715