Communities » Northbrook Area News
Des Plaines-area man arrested in connection with burglariesAn 18-year-old Des Plaines-area man was behind bars Sunday facing charges stemming from a pair of recent home burglaries, Cook County authorities said.Last Updated Feb 7, 2016 6:01 PM
Parish closures, consolidations expected as part of Chicago Archdiocese restructuring planUpdated Feb 6, 2016 7:52 AM
A number of suburban parishes in Cook and Lake county are expected to be shuttered in a massive restructuring plan being put into place by the Chicago Archdiocese, an effort closely guarded by members of the clergy in recent months. But the plan, still in its early stages, isn’t solely a matter of simple math, Archdiocese Chief Operating Officer Betsy Bohlen told the Daily Herald Friday.
Dold is well funded, thanks to political action committees: FEC reportsPosted Feb 5, 2016 5:15 AM
Republican incumbent Robert Dold finished 2015 as the best-funded candidate for Illinois’ 10th Congressional District seat -- but he got to there with significant help from special interest groups, especially those in the banking industry, federal records show.
10th candidates talk guns in latest debatePosted Feb 4, 2016 5:40 AM
Democratic congressional candidate Brad Schneider made gun violence the first issue of his debate with opponent Nancy Rotering Wednesday night at Stevenson High School.
10th Congressional hopefuls Rotering, Schneider spar over IranUpdated Feb 2, 2016 9:42 PM
The Democrats running to represent Illinois 10th Congressional District faced off on the Iran nuclear deal and other issues Tuesday night during a debate in Deerfield.
Ten stories you may have missed this weekendPosted Feb 8, 2016 5:00 AM
Ten stories you may have missed this weekend.
Alvarez Q&A: We didn't sweep anything aside in McDonald caseUpdated Feb 3, 2016 12:14 PM
In a sit-down interview with the Daily Herald, Cook County State's Attorney Anita Alvarez talks about the delay in filing charges in the Laquan McDonald shooting, the difficulty of getting convictions in police shooting cases, and her rocky relationship with Cook County President Toni Preckwinkle.
Recently shared by others
- Trinity welcomes columnist, author David Brooks
- Get Sidetracked At The New Barrel Crossing Tap & Grill
- New Spring Programs Announced at the Center for Enriched Living!
- A new kind of career for caring people of any age
- Clean Cities Coalitions to host environmental conference
- Benedictine/Roosevelt University conference honors Black History Month
- Northbrook Library Celebrates President’s Month with Voter Registration, Other Events
- Tom Cullerton: we cannot rest until heroin problem is eradicated
- 24th Annual Film Discussion Returns to Library
- TMA applauds Rauner State of State message
- 9-1-1 Director Robert Kujawa congratulates Telecommunicator Brian Riley with the "Telecommunicator of the Year" award during the awards ceremony at the Northbrook Police Department. Becky Nelson
- Dr. Jerry Weber, president of the College of Lake County, gets a blue streak sprayed in his hair from Allison Brand, an elementary education major who volunteered at the 'Light it up Blue" Autism awareness event held April 2 at the college. College of Lake County
- ComEd President and CEO Anne Pramaggiore led employees from ComEd and their family members during an environmental volunteer outing at the Chicago Botanic Garden on Saturday, April 27, to celebrate the end of National Volunteer Week (April 21-27). photo courtesy of Exelon
- Gil Heinrich, former U.S. Army Corporal and Covenant Village of Northbrook resident, shares a hug with Ageless Aviation pilot Mike Sommar after his flight. Covenant Village of Northbrook
- Former U.S. Army Private First Class and Covenant Village of Northbrook resident Ken Erickson is all smiles after his flight with Ageless Aviation in the open cockpit of a Boeing Stearman. Covenant Village of Northbrook
- Covenant Village of Northbrook resident Tom Nelson (former Staff Sergeant, U.S. Army) is ready to soar the Chicago skies in the Boeing Stearman thanks to Ageless Aviation. Covenant Village of Northbrook
- WWII airplane enthusiast and Covnenat Village of Northbrook resident, Jim Jacobsen gives the 'thumbs up' signal to the Ageless Aviation pilot, Mike Sommar right before take off. Covenant Village of Northbrook
- Covenant Village of Northbrook resident Ed Mahon (former Private First Class, U.S. Army) shares his enthusiasm about the exhilarating open cockpit flight with Ageless Aviation staff Lynn and Mike Sommar. Covenant Village of Northbrook
- Deerfield accounting firm Kessler Orlean Silver is serving as a local drop off location for the Vernon Hills-based Sports Shed, a non-profit organization which has distributed more than 5,000 pieces of sports equipment to organizations that provide sports programs for kids in need all over the Chicago area. Donations can be delivered to KOS at 1101 Lake Cook Road, Suite C, Deerfield. Pictured are, from left, KOS managing partner Jeff Arnol of Deerfield; Sports Shed founder Tina Sernett of Vernon Hills; KOS partner Ben Darcy of Buffalo Grove; and manager Diana Angulo of Harwood Heights. Dave Silbar
- Armed with a mission to provide underprivileged children around the world with the opportunity to play, compete and enjoy sports through access to equipment, Northbrook-based youth charity Gear for Goals recently boosted their efforts in Latin America by connecting traveler and supporter Larry Baum with a good cause. During the effort, Baum combined a business trip with the opportunity to do good, delivering 400 lbs. of sports gear to grateful and enthusiastic kids in La Romana at the Ninos de Cristo orphanage. Gear for Goals' Compassion Program fosters hope for kids around the world by connecting travelers with much-needed sports gear. For more information on ways to help, visit http://www.Dreamweaver911.org. Dreamweaver International
- (l-r) Jill Silbar of Vernon Hills is joined by daughters Emma and Maddy as they receive manicures from Midtown Athletic Club nail technician Agnes Wielogorski. Gearing up for Mothers Day, The Spa at Midtown Bannockburn is inviting all moms and daughters to a special day of massages, manicures, pedicures, make up and more, on Thursday, May 9, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Cost is just $30 per person and includes two luxurious spa treatments each. To schedule an appointment, contact The Spa at (847) 945-1818 or email email@example.com . Courtesy of Midtown Athletic Club
- Girl Scout Troop 40523 delivered cookies to the homeless at JOURNEYS | The Road Home in Palatine. The clients felt grateful receiving such a special treat. JOURNEYS | The Road Home
- Women gathered for a wonderful luncheon at the Inverness Golf Club April 30 to benefit JOURNEYS | The Road Home. JOURNEYS provides supportive services to over 1,300 homeless and at risk families and individuals annually. It also manages the PADS shelter program. The "Garden of Giving" Women's Luncheon raised nearly $8,000. JOURNEYS | The Road Home
Liquid Fusion Cafe Lincolnshire Grand Opening
Pictured is the barrista counter of the anticipated grand opening of Liquid Fusion Cafe, 275 Parkway Drive, Suite 315 in Lincolnshire, will officially take place on Sept. 23 at 1 p.m. Johan Lee
"Local Girl Needs Help"
A little girl in our community needs help with medical expenses. Her name is Isabella Oliver. Please see her story at: www.gofundme.com/Isabellasjourney. "Give, and you will receive...The amount you give will determine the amount you get back." Luke 6:38. Friends of Isabella Oliver
Snow grillin' New Years Day, 2014
Natural snow formation on backyard grill. Virginia Johnson
- Dandelion Gallery in Waukegan will honor Hispanic Heritage Month with a large installation by Mexican-American emerging artist Katrina Davis-Salazar titled "Oración de los Números: Economizing Memory, Sanity, & Hours." This show will coincide with ArtWauk and also will include work by 23 talented member artists. Opening reception will be 5 to 9 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 15 at Dandelion Gallery, 109 S. Genesee St. Davis-Salazar's works will be priced from $12 to $500 and sold in interactive ways that resemble a warehouse sale. Katrina Davis Salazar
More Northbrook News
- Northbrook Sports
- Fremd seniors play their part in victory over Glenbrook North
- Northbrook Business
- Why it's harder to get rid of your old TV
- Two suburban practices join PediaTrust
- Northbrook Entertainment
- No new cases of horse virus; suburban owners taking no chances
- Cook County pet spay/neuter discount program returns
- Suburban farms guard against virus that's killed horses in Bartlett
- 70 jail inmates isolated by flu outbreak
Points of Interest
- Toggle map points:
- Community Colleges
- Glenbrook North High School
- 2300 Shermer Rd.
Northbrook, Il 60062
- Dark Green/Gold
- Glenbrook South High School
- 4000 W. Lake Av.
Glenview, Il 60026
Daily Herald Communities
- 42.129226, -87.840715