Communities » Glenview Area News
Ted Cruz to headline suburban event days before Illinois primaryRepublican hopeful Sen. Ted Cruz is set to keynote a dinner in the suburbs March 11.Last Updated Feb 8, 2016 11:50 AM
Des Plaines-area man arrested in connection with burglariesUpdated Feb 7, 2016 6:01 PM
An 18-year-old Des Plaines-area man was behind bars Sunday facing charges stemming from a pair of recent home burglaries, Cook County authorities said.
Parish closures, consolidations expected as part of Chicago Archdiocese restructuring planUpdated Feb 6, 2016 7:52 AM
A number of suburban parishes in Cook and Lake county are expected to be shuttered in a massive restructuring plan being put into place by the Chicago Archdiocese, an effort closely guarded by members of the clergy in recent months. But the plan, still in its early stages, isn’t solely a matter of simple math, Archdiocese Chief Operating Officer Betsy Bohlen told the Daily Herald Friday.
Dold is well funded, thanks to political action committees: FEC reportsPosted Feb 5, 2016 5:15 AM
Republican incumbent Robert Dold finished 2015 as the best-funded candidate for Illinois’ 10th Congressional District seat -- but he got to there with significant help from special interest groups, especially those in the banking industry, federal records show.
10th candidates talk guns in latest debatePosted Feb 4, 2016 5:40 AM
Democratic congressional candidate Brad Schneider made gun violence the first issue of his debate with opponent Nancy Rotering Wednesday night at Stevenson High School.
10th Congressional hopefuls Rotering, Schneider spar over IranUpdated Feb 2, 2016 9:42 PM
The Democrats running to represent Illinois 10th Congressional District faced off on the Iran nuclear deal and other issues Tuesday night during a debate in Deerfield.
Lake County forest board balks at cell tower lease extension requestUpdated Feb 2, 2016 1:30 PM
Lake County forest district officials are open to potential revenue from new cell towers, but say a proposed lease extension for an existing tower at Bluebird Meadow Forest Preserve doesn’t meet guidelines.
Ten stories you may have missed this weekendPosted Feb 8, 2016 5:00 AM
Ten stories you may have missed this weekend.
Alvarez Q&A: We didn't sweep anything aside in McDonald caseUpdated Feb 3, 2016 12:14 PM
In a sit-down interview with the Daily Herald, Cook County State's Attorney Anita Alvarez talks about the delay in filing charges in the Laquan McDonald shooting, the difficulty of getting convictions in police shooting cases, and her rocky relationship with Cook County President Toni Preckwinkle.
Recently shared by others
- The Wellness Source hosts free heart health workshop Saturday, February 20.
- The Wellness Source to host free ‘Half Hour to Health’ lecture Saturday, February 6.
- Get Sidetracked At The New Barrel Crossing Tap & Grill
- Exchange students seeking host families for 2016-17 school year
- Clean Cities Coalitions to host environmental conference
- The Wellness Source to offer heart health exams February 1 - February 29.
- Tom Cullerton: we cannot rest until heroin problem is eradicated
- North Shore/Inner-city Schools’ Black History Month Celebration Marks 20th Anniversary
- TMA applauds Rauner State of State message
- Tom Cullerton’s reaction to the State of the State address
Local singing group, The Park Ridge Chorale, is seeking local World War II veterans to interview about their WW II experiences for inclusion in the historical narrative of their April 25 concert, “The Greatest Hits of the Greatest Generation”. “We will have some historical narration throughout the concert and would like to include a few personal veterans’ stories,” said Ed Zelnis, director of the chorale. “We plan to provide special seating for them at the concert as well.” The concert is Saturday, April 25, 7 p.m., St. Luke’s Lutheran Church, 250 N. Prospect, Parke Ridge.
Local WW II veterans are encouraged to call Rhet O’Neill, 847-699-8901, for more information. Adrienne Dimopoulos
- Dr. Jerry Weber, president of the College of Lake County, gets a blue streak sprayed in his hair from Allison Brand, an elementary education major who volunteered at the 'Light it up Blue" Autism awareness event held April 2 at the college. College of Lake County
- ComEd President and CEO Anne Pramaggiore led employees from ComEd and their family members during an environmental volunteer outing at the Chicago Botanic Garden on Saturday, April 27, to celebrate the end of National Volunteer Week (April 21-27). photo courtesy of Exelon
- (l-r) Jill Silbar of Vernon Hills is joined by daughters Emma and Maddy as they receive manicures from Midtown Athletic Club nail technician Agnes Wielogorski. Gearing up for Mothers Day, The Spa at Midtown Bannockburn is inviting all moms and daughters to a special day of massages, manicures, pedicures, make up and more, on Thursday, May 9, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Cost is just $30 per person and includes two luxurious spa treatments each. To schedule an appointment, contact The Spa at (847) 945-1818 or email email@example.com . Courtesy of Midtown Athletic Club
- Girl Scout Troop 40523 delivered cookies to the homeless at JOURNEYS | The Road Home in Palatine. The clients felt grateful receiving such a special treat. JOURNEYS | The Road Home
- Saturday afternoon, my daughter, Andrea, hiked to the top of Lions Peak in Cape Town, South Africa with friends and then clouds rolled in. Taken by Andrea's friend, Bridget.
- Women gathered for a wonderful luncheon at the Inverness Golf Club April 30 to benefit JOURNEYS | The Road Home. JOURNEYS provides supportive services to over 1,300 homeless and at risk families and individuals annually. It also manages the PADS shelter program. The "Garden of Giving" Women's Luncheon raised nearly $8,000. JOURNEYS | The Road Home
"Local Girl Needs Help"
A little girl in our community needs help with medical expenses. Her name is Isabella Oliver. Please see her story at: www.gofundme.com/Isabellasjourney. "Give, and you will receive...The amount you give will determine the amount you get back." Luke 6:38. Friends of Isabella Oliver
More Glenview News
- Glenview Sports
- Cooper, Hersey produce against Glenbrook South
- Glenview Business
- Why it's harder to get rid of your old TV
- Survey: Small businesses maintain strength
- Glenview Entertainment
- Volunteer to help the environment
- No new cases of horse virus; suburban owners taking no chances
- Cook County pet spay/neuter discount program returns
- Suburban farms guard against virus that's killed horses in Bartlett
- 70 jail inmates isolated by flu outbreak
- Glenview Opinion
- Endorsement: Foxx over Alvarez for Cook state’s attorney in Democratic primary
- Thank you for taking care of pets in winter
Points of Interest
- Toggle map points:
- Community Colleges
- Glenbrook North High School
- 2300 Shermer Rd.
Northbrook, Il 60062
- Dark Green/Gold
- Glenbrook South High School
- 4000 W. Lake Av.
Glenview, Il 60026
- Maine East High School
- 2601 W. Dempster St.
Park Ridge, Il 60068
- Blue Demons
- Royal Blue/White
- Maine South High School
- 1111 S. Dee Rd.
Park Ridge, Il 60068
- New Trier High School
- 385 Winnetka Av.
Winnetka, Il 60093
Daily Herald Communities
- A Great Place to Live, Work and Play
- 60025, 60026
- 42.079391, -87.815622
- Cook County