Communities » Glenview Area News
Elgin man charged with growing pot after tenant’s social media postA 52-year-old Elgin man was charged with possessing and growing marijuana in his backyard after authorities were called to his home after one of his tenants posted suicidal statements on social media.Last Updated Sep 27, 2016 3:47 PM
Cook County clerk leads voter registration drive TuesdayUpdated Sep 26, 2016 1:37 PM
Cook County Clerk David Orr and his staff will take part in a number of voter registration events throughout Chicago and the suburbs Tuesday as part of National Voter Registration Day.
Dold slams Iran nuke deal, Schneider says enforce itPosted Sep 26, 2016 5:30 AM
Republican U.S. Rep. Bob Dold calls the United States’ nuclear agreement with Iran “a historic mistake.” His Democratic challenger, Brad Schneider, doesn’t like the deal either but says it must be enforced.
Birdwatch, volunteer and do yoga at Camp Reinberg partyUpdated Sep 23, 2016 5:54 PM
As part of the Forest Preserves of Cook County’s Party for the Preserves Day on Saturday there will be a themed party at Camp Reinberg in Palatine as well as in each of the forest preserve’s campgrounds.
Report: Cook County should eliminate unincorporated areasPosted Sep 23, 2016 5:30 AM
Cook County should eventually eliminate all of its unincorporated areas to reduce taxes and improve services to residents in those neighborhoods, according to a new report released Thursday by Chicago-based The Civic Federation.
Maine West finds answers in victory at Maine EastUpdated Sep 24, 2016 12:17 AM
With its top two running backs out of action, Maine West struggled to develop some early momentum at Maine East on Friday night and came up empty on its first two possessions. Then Jonaas Drain provided a much-needed spark and sent the Warriors toward a 41-12 victory in their Central Suburban North opener.
Annual Maine Township garage sale is SaturdayUpdated Sep 22, 2016 3:42 PM
Maine Township will host its annual community garage sale Saturday in the parking lot of Town Hall. Proceeds benefit the township’s summer camp and food pantry.
Recently shared by others
- College of DuPage Offers New Landscape Contracting and Management Degree
- League of Women Voters to Host Candidate Debates
- Northbrook Symphony Orchestra Opens Season With “Romance de Paris” Concert
- Glenview / Glencoe League Begins Lunch Series focusing on November 8 ballott
- COD to Host Natural Resources Symposium Oct. 27
- Improving life With Alzheimer’s,Parkinson’s and other dementias seminars Nov. 2
- Stars and Cars Event Returns to Northbrook
- North Park University Celebrates 125 Years of Quality Academics, Faith and Diversity
- Falconaires Orchestra will wow audience with an Oct. 9 latin-inspired concert
- Coaster Challenge this weekend to benefit athletes of Special Olympics Illinois
Local singing group, The Park Ridge Chorale, is seeking local World War II veterans to interview about their WW II experiences for inclusion in the historical narrative of their April 25 concert, “The Greatest Hits of the Greatest Generation”. “We will have some historical narration throughout the concert and would like to include a few personal veterans’ stories,” said Ed Zelnis, director of the chorale. “We plan to provide special seating for them at the concert as well.” The concert is Saturday, April 25, 7 p.m., St. Luke’s Lutheran Church, 250 N. Prospect, Parke Ridge.
Local WW II veterans are encouraged to call Rhet O’Neill, 847-699-8901, for more information. Adrienne Dimopoulos
- Dr. Jerry Weber, president of the College of Lake County, gets a blue streak sprayed in his hair from Allison Brand, an elementary education major who volunteered at the 'Light it up Blue" Autism awareness event held April 2 at the college. College of Lake County
- ComEd President and CEO Anne Pramaggiore led employees from ComEd and their family members during an environmental volunteer outing at the Chicago Botanic Garden on Saturday, April 27, to celebrate the end of National Volunteer Week (April 21-27). photo courtesy of Exelon
- (l-r) Jill Silbar of Vernon Hills is joined by daughters Emma and Maddy as they receive manicures from Midtown Athletic Club nail technician Agnes Wielogorski. Gearing up for Mothers Day, The Spa at Midtown Bannockburn is inviting all moms and daughters to a special day of massages, manicures, pedicures, make up and more, on Thursday, May 9, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Cost is just $30 per person and includes two luxurious spa treatments each. To schedule an appointment, contact The Spa at (847) 945-1818 or email firstname.lastname@example.org . Courtesy of Midtown Athletic Club
- Girl Scout Troop 40523 delivered cookies to the homeless at JOURNEYS | The Road Home in Palatine. The clients felt grateful receiving such a special treat. JOURNEYS | The Road Home
- Saturday afternoon, my daughter, Andrea, hiked to the top of Lions Peak in Cape Town, South Africa with friends and then clouds rolled in. Taken by Andrea's friend, Bridget.
- Women gathered for a wonderful luncheon at the Inverness Golf Club April 30 to benefit JOURNEYS | The Road Home. JOURNEYS provides supportive services to over 1,300 homeless and at risk families and individuals annually. It also manages the PADS shelter program. The "Garden of Giving" Women's Luncheon raised nearly $8,000. JOURNEYS | The Road Home
"Local Girl Needs Help"
A little girl in our community needs help with medical expenses. Her name is Isabella Oliver. Please see her story at: www.gofundme.com/Isabellasjourney. "Give, and you will receive...The amount you give will determine the amount you get back." Luke 6:38. Friends of Isabella Oliver
Points of Interest
- Toggle map points:
- Community Colleges
- Glenbrook North High School
- 2300 Shermer Rd.
Northbrook, Il 60062
- Dark Green/Gold
- Glenbrook South High School
- 4000 W. Lake Av.
Glenview, Il 60026
- Maine East High School
- 2601 W. Dempster St.
Park Ridge, Il 60068
- Blue Demons
- Royal Blue/White
- Maine South High School
- 1111 S. Dee Rd.
Park Ridge, Il 60068
- New Trier High School
- 385 Winnetka Av.
Winnetka, Il 60093
Daily Herald Communities
- A Great Place to Live, Work and Play
- 60025, 60026
- 42.079391, -87.815622
- Cook County