Communities » Mount Prospect Area News
Holiday tree arrives in Mount ProspectThe tree that will light up downtown Mount Prospect arrived outside village hall Thursday. Work crews hoisted the large Colorado blue spruce, which was donated by a Mount Prospect family, into the air and installed it. A formal tree-lighting ceremony will take place Nov. 26.Last Updated Nov 21, 2014 11:37 AM
Mt. Prospect awards engineering contract for Kensington detention pondsPosted Nov 21, 2014 1:01 AM
Mount Prospect will benefit from economies of scale as it prepares to rehabilitate four retention basins at the Kensington Business Center. This week, the village board approved a contract with the Ciorba Group Inc., which has worked with the village in the past, to provide engineering design services, at a cost not to exceed $96,759.
Rolling Meadows men charged in Mt. Prospect drive-by shootingUpdated Nov 19, 2014 6:09 PM
Two Rolling Meadows men were arrested on charges related to a driveby shooting earlier this month in Mount Prospect. A Cook County judge set bail at $300,000 for 21-year-old Julio Avila, and $150,000 for co-defendant Eduardo Castro who face up to 30 years in prison if convicted of the class X felony.
Mt. Prospect sign maker White Way files bankruptcyUpdated Nov 19, 2014 5:41 PM
Mount Prospect-based White Way Sign, which has made iconic signs for Wrigley Field, Kohl's and Hollywood Casino, has filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy reorganization.
- More community news
- Final gap filled in Levee 37 along Des Plaines River
- Heroes of Holiday Hills shootout honored
- Mount Prospect man charged with child pornography
- Mt. Prospect OK with officials taking vehicles home
- Northwest suburban police blotter
- Suburban bars embrace moonshine as 'next big thing'
- Boy raises nearly $1,000 for Mt. Prospect historical site
Mount Prospect Calendar
Recently shared by others
- Science Fair Judges Needed
- Sedgebrook Woodworker Brings New Life to Old Finds
- Self-published authors can enter Soon to Be Famous Illinois Author contest
- Property tax appeal seminar to be held Dec. 1
- Jingle All the Way at Santa Hustle 5K: Comin’ to Town Saturday, Dec. 6th
- Tickets on sale for 27th annual Mt. Prospect housewalk
- Lake County 4-H Officer's Training 2014
- Wheeling High School Bands Celebrate the Season with Holiday Extravaganza Concert
- Porte Brown to present “The Grinch” at Elk Grove Theatre
- Mt. Prospect Community Band to perform ‘audience requests’ Nov. 16
- Sentimental summer gathering of sorority sisters enjoys lunch at Blackfinn. Alumnae members of Northwest Suburban Alumnae Club plan philanthropic events and social gatherings. Since 1961, Alpha Gam women have shared a common goal to contribute to the world's work in their community. Front row L to R: Bonnie Everhard, Barbara Benson, Nancy Clauser, Sandra Enright. Back row L to R : Pat Smith, Mary Herther, Barbara Willmarth, Kay Bradley, Louann Lawson, Reta Holmgren, Cherrie Wickstrom, Sue Rogers. Pat Smith, Alpha Gamma Delta Publicity Chair
- Roger and Betty Chindberg, 57-year residents of Wheeling, celebrate their 60th wedding anniversary on May 7th. Roger is retired from the Village of Arlington Heights where he worked in the water department. Betty is retired from School District 214 were she spent 21 years working in Wheeling High School cafeteria, and just recently at the age of 81 stopped working part time at Dovemuehle Mortgage. Their daughters Kelly Chindberg, Tracy (Frank) Witkus and Rory Chindberg are planning a party for them on the 10th of May. Their grandchildren, Gabriel Witkus and Beau (Alison) Witkus and three great grandchildren, Trinity, Christopher and Adalynn are all excited to be decorating and sharing the wonderful day with them. Tracy Witkus
- Claire Froehlicher (age 9) worked with school administrators for over a year to host a school-wide walk to raise money for JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation. Over $6,100 was raised. Over 500 students and staff "walked a mile for JDRF" submitting paper shoes with the names of every donor that sponsored their walk. Colleen Froehlicher
- Claire Froehlicher (age 9) and Meagan Froehlicher (age 19) stand in front of the wall of shoes after a successful walk to raise money for JDRF was held at Ivy Hill Elementary School. Claire worked with school administrators for more than a year to make this walk happen. Raising funds for JDRF is important to Claire as her older sister has been living with type 1 diabetes for over 8 years Colleen Froehlicher
- Dan Serrano of Barrington was just one of many Harper students to stop by the National Save a Life Tour in the College's Student Center April 2. The tour's state-of-the-art simulators recreate the experience of driving under the influence of alcohol and driving while texting in an effort to make students aware of the dangers of high risk behavior. This event was sponsored by Campus Activities Board. Harper College News Bureau
- Saint Alphonsus recently held their family campout in the field behind the school. A bonfire, s'mores, balloon launching and an outdoor movie were just some of the fun events held on a beautiful evening. Hamburgers and hotdogs were also grilled for the many hungry campers.
- Before a round of golf at famous Bandon Dunes Resort in Oregon, I took an early morning walk and came upon this footpath to the beach. August 26, 2013. Richard Ruebe
- The 8th grade girls Hersey Huskies feeder team won the Northern Illinois Girls Feeder Association chamionship this season. The team's 3 year league record was 70 - 1. k. burnetti
- Christian Liberty Academy team praying before the game Eileen Glad
- 2012-13 Christian Liberty's 1st Baseball Regional Win!! 5-18-13 6-0. Winning pitcher, only pitcher Senior David Colbert. Team won this together. Great plays by Aaron Karr, Shawn Andersen, Juan Pagan, Aaron Cunningham and last out caught by Brendan Brosnan. David did an awesome job pitching and catching line drives at the mount. Freshman Tim Laskowski, Peter Grob and Jimmy Calkins thanks for getting on base in order to score. Aaron Karr, Shawn Andersen, way to move our players on the bases with your great hits-triples and doubles and Daniel Glad and JD for your great catches. This was definitely a team playing together to win the victory. Eileen Glad
- Barrington High School Gymnast, Danny Schnura places 1st in All-Around at Friday's Freshman Invitational in Hinsdale. Eleven schools competed and Barrington High School finished 4th for overall team. Go Broncos! T. Lauderdale
- On July 4, 2013, Sen. John McCain meets with Brian Gilligan, right, Commander, U.S. Navy Reserve, and Mount Prospect resident. McCain came to Kabul, Afghanistan along with Sen. Lindsay Graham and six other Senators to meet with troops and participate in several other meetings and briefings with Afghanistan and U.S. officials. Gilligan is a Commander in Navy Reserve, and is currently assigned as Chief, External Relations, at the International Security Assistance Force International Joint Command, and he helped plan for Senator McCain's visit to the the IJC. Gilligan will be returning home from his deployment in the September-October timeframe. COL Alan Shumate, ISAF, International Joint Commander, Kabul, AFG
- This beautiful doe was feasting on some frosty leaves this morning in Prospect Heights. Tina Haisman
- Harper College's fountain on the Euclid Road side of the campus Frank P. Sesko Ed. D.
- Sarah and George Naxera show off their delicious sample plate from one of the many restaurants that attend the Around the World Food Tasting. This year's event is scheduled for Tuesday, October 21st at Arlington Toyota-Scion from 5:30 PM to 8:00 PM. More information can be found at www.clearbrook.org/aroundtheworld Clearbrook
- Tim Koll as the title role of Joseph, and Julia Macholl as the Narrator in Theatre Nebula's "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" in its final 2 weeks at Cutting Hall in Palatine, September 20-29, 2013. Cutting Hall- Michael P. Noens
Fireworks and summer fun!
Melas Park Fireworks-Mount Prospect -July 4, 2013 JustDar
- Our Golden Retriever, Shamrock, sits out in our backyard in Mount Prospect enjoying the sunshine on Saturday Morning, June 1, 2013 Joe Cruitt
- Girl Scout Troop 40523 delivered cookies to the homeless at JOURNEYS | The Road Home in Palatine. The clients felt grateful receiving such a special treat. JOURNEYS | The Road Home
- The John Hersey High School Marching Band of Arlington Heights opens its competition season by placing both third in its class and third overall out of 27 bands at the Chicagoland Marching Band Festival in Wheeling on Sept. 22. Denis Jones
- The John Hersey High School Band of Arlington Heights proves a fan favorite at the Illinois State University Invitational High School Marching Band Championship in Normal on October 12. The band won the "Crowd Appeal" award for its show "Revolution." The band placed third in its class and eighth overall out of 35 bands. Sue Conolly
Jay Renaud, Hersey Head Cross Country Coach runs Chicago Marathon
Jay runs over to give out high fives to his cross country athletes who were there to cheer him on at the 13 mile marker. He finished the race in 2:53:59. Brendan Cunningham
- Women gathered for a wonderful luncheon at the Inverness Golf Club April 30 to benefit JOURNEYS | The Road Home. JOURNEYS provides supportive services to over 1,300 homeless and at risk families and individuals annually. It also manages the PADS shelter program. The "Garden of Giving" Women's Luncheon raised nearly $8,000. JOURNEYS | The Road Home
- Grayson Parmenter, 3, of Mount Prospect, proudly leads the band in a "Marching Experience" with PMK band members at the Prospect Marching Knights "Day as a Knight" fun fair on Aug. 12. Prospect Band Boosters/ B-L Pellicore
- The Littelfuse executive team led by Gordon Hunter, Chief Executive Officer, center left, along with Mayor Arlene Juracek, center right, and Village of Mount Prospect officials celebrated the opening of the new technology center with a special ribbon cutting ceremony March 18. Littelfuse, Inc.
Aaron Gabriel Prep Sports Editor
Charles Keeshan Deputy City Editor
Jeff Knox Senior Director of Photography
Matt Arado Staff Writer
Norrine Twohey Community News Coordinator
Renee Trappe Assistant Managing Editor/Local News
More Mount Prospect News
- Mount Prospect Sports
- Daily Herald column rekindles long-lost friendship
- Mount Prospect Business
- Mt. Prospect awards engineering contract
- Mt. Prospect sign maker files bankruptcy
- Mount Prospect Entertainment
- Suburban bars embrace moonshine as 'next big thing'
- Boy raises nearly $1,000 for Mt. Prospect historical site
- Mount Prospect Discussion
- How can we deny we have a spending problem?
- Many other veterans deserve recognition, too
- Women misdirect their ‘enhancements’
- The Soapbox
- Profiling accusations should go both ways
- Give the Bears the minimum in pay
- Democrats now eating a little humble pie
Points of Interest
- Toggle map points:
- Community Colleges
- Elk Grove High School
- 500 W. Elk Grove Blvd.
Elk Grove Village, Il 60007
- Forest Green/New Gold
- Prospect High School
- 801 W. Kensington Rd.
Mount Prospect, Il 60056
- Navy Blue/Columbia Blue
- Wheeling High School
- 900 S. Elmhurst Rd.
Wheeling, Il 60090
- Royal Blue/Athletic Gold/White
Daily Herald Communities
- Where Friendliness is a Way of Life
- 42.065427, -87.936217
- Cook County