Communities » Elk Grove Village Area News
Teen injured in alcohol-related crash, Elk Grove police sayA 17-year-old driver was injured Sunday night when he struck a tree while under the influence of alcohol, police said.Last Updated May 25, 2015 10:50 PM
Elk Grove family keeps alive true meaning of Memorial DayUpdated May 25, 2015 7:22 AM
Since the death of her older brother, Marine Cpl. John T. Olson of Elk Grove Village, in Iraq 10 years ago, teaching her generation about the true meaning of Memorial Day has become a personal mission for Courtney Olson. “In reality,” she said, “it is a solemn holiday, remembering those that fought for our country and made the ultimate sacrifice.”
60 bike Elk Grove with the mayor on SaturdayUpdated May 23, 2015 6:32 PM
The 4th annual Bike with the Mayor staring Mayor Craig Johnson kicked off this Memorial Day weekend Saturday morning with about 60 people of all ages and types of bikes participating in the five mile leisurely bike ride around Elk Grove Village.
Biesterfield Road reopens after minor accident at Rohlwing RoadUpdated May 22, 2015 8:55 AM
The right lane on eastbound Biesterfield Road in Elk Grove Village was blocked for about an hour after a car hit a light pole at Rohlwing Road. Authorities said the car swerved into the light pole at about 7:20 a.m. Two people received minor injuries in the accident and were transported to an area hospital.
Elk Grove Village Calendar
Recently shared by others
- Prince of Peace Mission in Action on May 30th
- Arl. Hts. Garden Walk and Unique Boutique June 14th
- AOIIs Honored Members and Greeted Newcomers in Barrington
- Marklund Day School Boy Scout Troop ‘like icing on the cake’
- Lake County 4-H Sailing Spin Club
- Habitat kicks off 25th year in Kane County with Blitz Build event
- TMA names Steve Rauschenberger as president
- Scholarships Awarded to Five Northwest Suburban High School Seniors
- Elk Grove Village Jaycees to host Best Pizza Conest
- W.A.C.O. Awards 2015 Scholarship Winners
- This is a hawk I was lucky enough to spot as it caught it's prey, a squirrel. I took it at my college, Rice University in Houston, TX. The only alterations were color-correction done in Lightroom 5. Matthew Kerkstra
Local singing group, The Park Ridge Chorale, is seeking local World War II veterans to interview about their WW II experiences for inclusion in the historical narrative of their April 25 concert, “The Greatest Hits of the Greatest Generation”. “We will have some historical narration throughout the concert and would like to include a few personal veterans’ stories,” said Ed Zelnis, director of the chorale. “We plan to provide special seating for them at the concert as well.” The concert is Saturday, April 25, 7 p.m., St. Luke’s Lutheran Church, 250 N. Prospect, Parke Ridge.
Local WW II veterans are encouraged to call Rhet O’Neill, 847-699-8901, for more information. Adrienne Dimopoulos
"Dentist in Park Ridge celebrates 27 years in business"
Dr. Ross Rubino has had his dental practice in Park Ridge for 27 years. He opened in 1978 and hasn't lost the passion. Terri/Rubino
- Scout, the 4 month old Goldendoodle stops short before plowing into the snow to play. Delia Fisk (8 Years old)
- Girl Scout Troop 40523 delivered cookies to the homeless at JOURNEYS | The Road Home in Palatine. The clients felt grateful receiving such a special treat. JOURNEYS | The Road Home
Harbinger of Spring
Goldfinch in a tree Roger Sudnick
- Women gathered for a wonderful luncheon at the Inverness Golf Club April 30 to benefit JOURNEYS | The Road Home. JOURNEYS provides supportive services to over 1,300 homeless and at risk families and individuals annually. It also manages the PADS shelter program. The "Garden of Giving" Women's Luncheon raised nearly $8,000. JOURNEYS | The Road Home
NEDSRA Talent Show! March 21-22
NEDSRA Actors & Actresses Bruce Flowers
- Emily Holewczynski of Western Springs and her 13-week-old daughter Eileen, were featured on the runway in fashions created for them by Palatine designer Megan Smith at the Fashion Forward Mixed Ability Fashion Show on May 2 in Greektown. The event at the National Hellenic Museum benefited Tellin' Tales Theatre, which seeks to shatter barriers between the disabled and able-bodied communities through the transformative power of personal story. Jennifer Frankfurter
- Pina's Culinery Experience at Taste of Roselle on Aug. 3: Standing back row, Chef Ed, Shawna, Sue; middle row standing, Brandon and Dollie; and center kneeling,Eddie. Linda Chesney
- Congratulations Rolling Meadows Renegades Bantam Team 4. Renegades Team 4 took First Place at the Lake Forest, Illinois Winter Classic Hockey Tournament on February 2, 2014 and the Big Bear “Gasoline Alley” Tournament on February 17, 2014, in Indianapolis, Indiana. Good luck Renegades Team 4, playing in the Northwest Hockey League Bantam Red Division Championship game on March 8, 2014. Coaches: Steve Tripp, Rich Miller and Mike Mercurio. Players: Owen Berg (not pictured), Vince Filippini, Ryan Johnson, Eric Kurpiewski, Thomas Luedloff, Michael Marzigliano, Joe McTague, Tyler Mercurio, Mason Miller, Cameron Rodriguez, Jack Schneider, Kyle Sobon, Maxx Tripp and Hunter Veller. Edwin Filippini
- Rolling Meadows resident and Predict The Oscars Grand Prize winner Kimberly Perlich (right) accepts her yearlong movie pass for two, valid at any Classic Cinemas theatre, two passes to the Brookfield Zoo and a $200 gift certificate good at any Francesca’s Restaurant, from Classic Cinemas Elk Grove Theatre general manager Gropal Krishna. Perlich submitted her ballot at the Elk Grove Theatre. According to Classic Cinemas Vice President Chris Johnson. “We were quite impressed by the number of patrons who participated this year in our annual Oscar contest, and are pleased that movies continue to engage, enlighten and entertain our loyal customers.” The 2014 winners ranged from 27 to 80 years old, and over 7,608 ballots were cast during the six-week contest. In order to win, customers needed to predict all seven categories correctly: Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Supporting Actor, Best Supporting Actress and Best Animated Film. “I have been entering this [Predict the Oscars] contest for years and I thoroughly enjoy going to the movies,” Perlich said. “It’s a fantastic, wonderful surprise that I won the Grand Prize and my husband is SO excited to be joining me to enjoy the movies this year.” Perlich only filled out one ballot for the 2014 Predict the Oscars Contest, and has been mesmerized by the storytelling of movies since she was a small child. Patrick Stickney
- Wheeling Township honored over 200 loyal volunteers and donors at their annual Appeciation Luncheon at the Metropolis Ballroom on April 24, 2015. "Leading the Way" volunteers recognized for their many years of service (L to R) Sue & John Cafarella, Char & Ed Perlow, Diane and Jack Ferguson, Victoria Kopulos, Lou Barnett, Deanne Rehmer and Supervisor Michael Schroeder.
Aaron Gabriel Prep Sports Editor
Charles Keeshan Deputy City Editor
Christopher Placek Staff Writer
Jeff Knox Sr. Director of Visual Journalism
Norrine Twohey Community News Coordinator
Renee Trappe Assistant Managing Editor/Local News
More Elk Grove Village News
- Elk Grove Village Sports
- 60 bike Elk Grove with the mayor on Saturday
- Elk Grove Village Business
- Elk Grove co-owner advocates for businesses
- Meet the unusual, whimsical at Elk Grove's Design Toscano
- Elk Grove Village Entertainment
- Where to find suburban Memorial Day fests
- Elk Grove Village Discussion
- Harper’s staff gave meaning to service
- Boarding schools instead of prisons?
- Don’t blame teachers for pension mess
- Will public pensions be taxed?
- Police need some riot gear
Points of Interest
- Toggle map points:
- Community Colleges
- Elk Grove High School
- 500 W. Elk Grove Blvd.
Elk Grove Village, Il 60007
- Forest Green/New Gold
- Hoffman Estates High School
- 1100 W. Higgins Rd.
Hoffman Estates, Il 60169
- Royal Blue/Orange
Daily Herald Communities
- The Exceptional Community
- 42.003178, -87.996418
- Cook County