Communities » Park Ridge Area News
Senate candidates Murphy, Thillens differ on direction of the stateVoters from Rosemont to Roselle will get to choose from two candidates for state Senate this November who have contrasting visions for Illinois. Democratic incumbent Sen. Laura Murphy, appointed last October, is being challenged by Republican Mel Thillens for a 4-year term representing the 28th district.Last Updated Sep 23, 2016 6:17 PM
Birdwatch, volunteer and do yoga at Camp Reinberg partyUpdated Sep 23, 2016 5:54 PM
As part of the Forest Preserves of Cook County’s Party for the Preserves Day on Saturday there will be a themed party at Camp Reinberg in Palatine as well as in each of the forest preserve’s campgrounds.
Report: Cook County should eliminate unincorporated areasPosted Sep 23, 2016 5:30 AM
Cook County should eventually eliminate all of its unincorporated areas to reduce taxes and improve services to residents in those neighborhoods, according to a new report released Thursday by Chicago-based The Civic Federation.
Maine Township celebrates first Township Day WednesdayUpdated Sep 20, 2016 1:44 PM
Maine Township is hosting an event Wednesday in recognition of the first Illinois Township Day. Supervisor Carol Teschky said the goal of the event is to increase public awareness of the township’s services.
Rooney to highlight Schaumburg Township GOP eventUpdated Sep 19, 2016 3:37 PM
“Breaking Cullerton’s Supermajority” will be the theme of the Schaumburg Township Republican Organization’s monthly breakfast meeting at 8:30 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 24. Guest speakers will include newly appointed 27th District state Sen. Tom Rooney, the mayor of Rolling Meadows.
Krishnamoorthi is keynote speaker at Schaumburg eventUpdated Sep 19, 2016 3:36 PM
Raja Krishnamoorthi, the Democratic candidate for the 8th Congressional District, will be the keynote speaker at a Schaumburg Area Democrats breakfast from 10 a.m. to noon Sunday, Oct. 9.
Maine West finds answers in victory at Maine EastUpdated Sep 24, 2016 12:17 AM
With its top two running backs out of action, Maine West struggled to develop some early momentum at Maine East on Friday night and came up empty on its first two possessions. Then Jonaas Drain provided a much-needed spark and sent the Warriors toward a 41-12 victory in their Central Suburban North opener.
Annual Maine Township garage sale is SaturdayUpdated Sep 22, 2016 3:42 PM
Maine Township will host its annual community garage sale Saturday in the parking lot of Town Hall. Proceeds benefit the township’s summer camp and food pantry.
Park Ridge Calendar
Recently shared by others
- COD to Host Natural Resources Symposium Oct. 27
- Improving life With Alzheimer’s,Parkinson’s and other dementias seminars Nov. 2
- Ninety-Eight Years and Counting
- ESO to play score to Charlie Chaplin’s film ‘City Lights’ Oct. 7-9
- Stars and Cars Event Returns to Northbrook
- North Park University Celebrates 125 Years of Quality Academics, Faith and Diversity
- Falconaires Orchestra will wow audience with an Oct. 9 latin-inspired concert
- Coaster Challenge this weekend to benefit athletes of Special Olympics Illinois
- COD to Host College Fair Oct. 18
- COD to Host Free Senior Citizen Advocate Services Workshop Oct. 20
Local singing group, The Park Ridge Chorale, is seeking local World War II veterans to interview about their WW II experiences for inclusion in the historical narrative of their April 25 concert, “The Greatest Hits of the Greatest Generation”. “We will have some historical narration throughout the concert and would like to include a few personal veterans’ stories,” said Ed Zelnis, director of the chorale. “We plan to provide special seating for them at the concert as well.” The concert is Saturday, April 25, 7 p.m., St. Luke’s Lutheran Church, 250 N. Prospect, Parke Ridge.
Local WW II veterans are encouraged to call Rhet O’Neill, 847-699-8901, for more information. Adrienne Dimopoulos
- Pre-Kindergarten students at Aristotle Preschool and Kindergarten dressed up in different job professions. Choices include artists, police officers, doctors, and chefs children enjoyed a fun filled day. For more information visit: www.aristotlegreekschools.com Rita Petratos
"Dentist in Park Ridge celebrates 27 years in business"
Dr. Ross Rubino has had his dental practice in Park Ridge for 27 years. He opened in 1978 and hasn't lost the passion. Terri/Rubino
- Piotr Andrzejeski of Des Plaines proudly displays his first-place trophy after taking home the title at the USTA 10-and-under tennis tournament held at Midtown Athletic Club in Chicago on April 27. Courtesy of Midtown Athletic Club
- Girl Scout Troop 40523 delivered cookies to the homeless at JOURNEYS | The Road Home in Palatine. The clients felt grateful receiving such a special treat. JOURNEYS | The Road Home
- Women gathered for a wonderful luncheon at the Inverness Golf Club April 30 to benefit JOURNEYS | The Road Home. JOURNEYS provides supportive services to over 1,300 homeless and at risk families and individuals annually. It also manages the PADS shelter program. The "Garden of Giving" Women's Luncheon raised nearly $8,000. JOURNEYS | The Road Home
- Layne Rotonda (left) and Katie Harper, both juniors at Maine South High School, in Park Ridge, Illinois have been named as 2015 Brine National High School All-Americans and selected to represent Team Illinois at the 2015 Brine National Lacrosse Classic to be held at the River City Sportsplex in Virginia, June 29-July 2. The Brine National Lacrosse Classic brings the top high school lacrosse players in the nation to one venue, where regional teams will compete for national recognition in front of NCAA lacrosse coaches. Visit www.nationallacrosseclassic.com Kelley Harper
- The Northwest Suburban Bar Association awards Antonia Kopec, DePaul Univeristy School of Law, the Timothy C. Evan's Scholarship of $4,000 with the Honorable Timothy C. Evan's, Chief Judge, Circuit Court of Cook County (left) and Dennis Favaro, president of Northwest Suburban Bar Association Foundation Adam Pasco
- Sarah Griebler modeling club member Sally Loeffler's mother's wedding dress at the Twentieth Century Club's benefit fashion show, "The Way We Were," in Park Ridge. Christine Provost
- Twenty-first Star Chapter NSDAR representatives brave the weather to ride in the Park Ridge Memorial Day Parade. Ann Michael
- I was a former Des Plaines resident and retired to Arizona in 2008. In Illinois I was a physical education teacher within the Chicago Public Schools for 34 years.....now I am employed as an Instructional Assistant within the Scottsdale School system. My new joy out here is hiking the many trails within the Sonoran McDowell Mountain Area. I came upon this Western Diamondback Rattlesnake during a hike a couple weeks ago....it was quite agitated but at least warned me with a very loud rattle! :) Gary Wojton
Points of Interest
- Toggle map points:
- Community Colleges
Who will win the American League Cy Young award?
|Chris Sale, CHW||43.8%|
|Rick Porcello, BOS||27.9%|
|J.A. Happ, TOR||10.0%|
|Cory Kluber, CLE||10.8%|
|Zach Britton, BAL||7.5%|
Daily Herald Communities
- A Wonderful Place
- 42.01183, -87.841587