COD celebrates Science, Technology, Engineering and Math Week Oct. 11-16
College of DuPage will host a series of free virtual events during STEM Week, running Monday, Oct. 11, to Saturday, Oct. 16. The week will include highlights on the college's social media platforms as well as livestreamed discussions and a trivia night.
All livestream events take place at 7 p.m. via the college's Facebook page.
Register at www.cod.edu to receive reminders about STEM Week live sessions.
"College of DuPage continues to build its STEM program. With expert faculty and state-of-the-art facilities, STEM Week allows us to highlight all the amazing reasons why College of DuPage is at the forefront of STEM education," said COD STEM Outreach Coordinator Sara Spaniol. "We invite students and community members to join the week's events and explore degree options right here at COD."
STEM Week events include:
• Monday, Oct. 11: To kick off STEM Week and season two of "So That Explains It," join COD Biology Professor Beth Kirkpatrick and McAninch Arts Center Director Diana Martinez to explore the significance of marigolds for Dia de los Muertos and the science behind why flower scent matters.
Also, take a quiz to learn which Marvel character you share the most STEM talent with, and then learn how College of DuPage can help you on your path toward a STEM degree. STEM Careers are in high demand, and pop culture is no stranger to highlighting STEM. Go to www.cod.edu.
• Tuesday, Oct. 12: Moderated by COD Board of Trustees Chair Maureen Dunne, learn why alumni chose COD to start their education in STEM, as well as how their experience at the college prepared them for their further education and careers. During the discussion, panelists will be available to respond to questions.
• Wednesday, Oct. 13: Learn why "STEM Matters" during a "Twitter Takeover!" The Morton Arboretum will take over the COD Twitter account to share all about why STEM matters.
• Thursday, Oct. 14: Visit COD's Facebook stories to learn about the college's STEM transfer programs and how students can fund their education.
• Friday, Oct. 15: Visit COD's Instagram stories to receive a virtual tour of the college's STEM spaces and get a firsthand look at what a day in the life of a STEM student entails.
Beginning at 7 p.m., test your STEM knowledge at STEM Week Trivia Night. All individuals and teams are welcome. Participants can access the game using the TrivNow website or TrivNow App with the code WED6. Participants can also join in the live video feed on Twitch.
• Saturday, Oct. 16: Join Florida-based amusement park engineers, known as the STEAM SQUAD, for a webinar discussion as they share how they made their professional dreams a reality. In addition, watch science experiments that are simple to re-create with household materials. The " Full STEAM Ahead: How Amusement Park Engineers Made Their Dreams a Reality" webinar is free but requires preregistration to receive the webinar link.
Learn more about COD STEM Week at www.cod.edu.
The Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) Division at College of DuPage offers a wide array of programs and courses to students who are interested in learning more about how and why natural systems on the Earth and in the universe work. From mathematics and chemistry, to the earth sciences, engineering and physics, COD's Science, Technology, Engineering and Math Division provides students with a myriad study areas.