Politics | 'We're Americans first': Bailey talks taxes, abortion and winning in a blue state
He's well-known to the Republican base, and in Tuesday's primary state Sen. Darren Bailey was catapulted into the national spotlight after GOP voters chose him as the nominee for governor. Here's a closer look at where the self-described downstate farmer and conservative, who will take on Gov. J.B. Pritzker in November, stands on the issues.
Politics | How candidates aligned with Donald Trump did in the suburbsAlthough all three downstate Illinois Republicans endorsed by former President Donald Trump won their primary races Tuesday, Trump supporters seeking nomination for statewide or federal seats had mixed results in the suburbs.
Commercial Real Estate | The Arboretum of South Barrington sold to Hoffman Estates-based Heidner PropertiesThe Arboretum of South Barrington, the 484,000-square-foot open air shopping center at Route 59 and Higgins Road, has been sold to Hoffman Estates-based Heidner Properties, Inc.
Politics | With votes still to be counted, District 25 not yet ready to call referendumArlington Heights Elementary District 25 officials are waiting for early and mail-in ballots to be counted over the next week before declaring defeat or victory in a referendum on a $75 million bond issue to fund full-day kindergarten and school building upgrades.
News | We the people: 137 new U.S. citizens take oath at College of DuPageOn Thursday, 137 people from 38 other countries officially became U.S. citizens during a ceremony at the College of DuPage in Glen Ellyn.
Entertainment | Will the The Comedy Shrine in Aurora ever open again? 'No guarantee,' owner saysThe Comedy Shrine in Aurora has shuttered a little over a year after relocating within Fox Valley Mall. Owner David Sinker and a Fox Valey Mall official say the closure is temporary, with a possible reopening in fall.
Commercial Real Estate | 'Definitely a big deal': Renovated hotel at Illinois Beach State Park ready to reopenAfter sitting vacant for 18 months, the completely renovated hotel at Illinois Beach State Park is re-opening Friday with new management. "It's definitely a big deal," said Maureen Riedy, president of Visit Lake County.
Politics | Some temporary tax relief is coming your way. Here are the detailsIllinoisans will receive some modest tax relief starting Friday when the state's new fiscal year begins. Republicans criticized the package as an election-year gimmick, noting that rebate checks would show up in mailboxes or bank accounts before Election Day, while motor fuel tax suspension would disappear soon after Election Day.
College Sports | Big Ten votes to add USC, UCLA as members starting in 2024In a seismic shift in college athletics, the Big Ten voted Thursday to add Southern California and UCLA as conference members beginning in 2024.
Entertainment | Where to see fireworks around the suburbs July 1-4Fireworks displays return with a bang throughout the suburbs this weekend.
News | St. Charles residents invited to paint a downtown street as part of community art projectSt. Charles residents will have the opportunity to paint the city red -- along with a variety of other colors -- during an upcoming community art project.
Lake County | Primary between two Lake County Republicans vying for Illinois Supreme Court seat remains tightThe Republican primary race for Illinois Supreme Court District 2 has come down to a contest between two prominent Lake County leaders separated by around 1.5% of the vote.
- 11:59 PMRussian forces leave Snake Island, keep up eastern assault
- 11:59 PMMudslide leaves 16 dead, over 70 missing in northeast India
- 11:09 PMCourt leaves dwindling paths for Biden's climate mission
- 11:00 PMToday in History: July 1, Medicare program takes effect
- 10:53 PMEXPLAINER: How will R. Kelly sentence impact other trials?
More Suburban News Find your community
- BarringtonBarrington resident launching new music festival on neighborhood porches
- AuroraAurora Downtown offers self-guided pub crawls
- WheatonMan charged with burglarizing Wheaton library cafe
- NapervilleNaperville Salute's four-day celebration starts Friday
- GenevaOverflow commuter lot in Geneva to close indefinitely
- BarringtonBarrington High School improvements get OK from village board
- MundeleinMundelein marks creation of new public gathering space
- CarpentersvilleCoroner IDs body found in river as missing Carpentersville man
- AddisonIndependence Day parades step off around the suburbs this weekend
- CrimeAuthorities looking for teen who blew up mailbox in Aurora Township
- NewsMaine East grad returns as new hoops head coach
- Buffalo GroveJimmy John's moving from Buffalo Grove Town Center to new location
- 2:49 PMHelp give abused children a voice in court with CASA
- 2:29 PMScavenger hunt brings summer fun to downtown Aurora
- 1:10 PMNew Aurora festival celebrates the life of Frida Kahlo July 10
- 12:57 PMECC students shine at SkillsUSA national championship
- 12:11 PMOrthodontic Experts Don't Just Give Back To Their Communities. They Participate With Them, Too!
- 10:40 AMHarper, NCH partner for new apprenticeship program
- 9:01 AMNorthwest Community expanding back and spine services
- 8:57 AMFirst woman takes office as president of Evanston-based Rotary International
Inside Daily Herald