News | Son: We will not 'destroy' tradition at Sanfilippo mansion
Some Barrington Hills residents are opposing a proposal for a new property zoning classification they contend could lead to an entertainment operation at a mansion known for hosting charitable fundraisers and where guests can see rare collectibles, including the world's largest restored theater pipe organ.
Politics | Illinois' COVID-19 positivity rate much lower than some neighbors'Cases of COVID-19 rose by 883 Monday as deaths from the respiratory disease increased by six, officials said. Illinois' positivity rate has crept up from early July when it hovered at 2.6% but compares favorably with other Midwestern averages. Iowa is at 8.9%, Indiana is at 8.4% and Wisconsin is at 6.9%. Michigan's average also is 2.6%.
Education | How Wheaton Warrenville District 200 plans to reopen schoolsAs the start of a new school year looms in a month, Wheaton Warrenville Unit District 200 is working out the complexities of reopening plans that wil let parents choose how their children will learn in the midst of a pandemic.
Crime | Family 'shocked' after conviction overturned in 41-year-old Inverness murder caseAfter the wife of Inverness commodities broker Carl Gaimari was convicted of his 1979 murder, his brothers thought justice had been served. The Illinois Appellate Court's reversal of Jacquelyn Greco's guilty verdict last week marks a new beginning in their pursuit of justice for their brother.
Business | Arlington Heights poised to reverse ban on recreational pot salesIn a reversal, Arlington Heights trustees are now poised to allow the sale of recreational marijuana, at least to start, at the existing medical pot dispensary in town.
Business | Prospect Heights council endorses pot shop over critics' concernsProspect Heights City Council members Monday expressed either outright support or at least lack of criticism for a proposed adult recreational marijuana dispensary near the intersection of Rand Road and Thomas Street that would be the city's only one.
Education | Social distancing in cafeterias could be 'impossible,' District 128 superintendent saysEducators in one Lake County school district on Monday said ensuring social distancing at lunchtime to prevent COVID-19 virus transmission will be difficult if buildings open this fall.
Columns | Rozner: Eddie O raring to go with playoff hockeyEddie Olczyk has no idea who's going to win it all, but he does know the keys to surviving the Sprint Cup.
News | 'Someone who never quit': Des Plaines man dies a month after motorcycle crashDylan Arends, 22, died Saturday afternoon. He had been at Advocate Lutheran General Hospital in Park Ridge in a medically induced coma since a June 7 motorcycle crash.
News | Adler Center in Libertyville working on slate of outdoor eventsThe Adler Center in Libertyville plans to transition from virtual concerts and workshops to COVID-conscious outdoor events.
Columns | Feder: Me-TV FM license owner isn't losing sleep over FCC deadlineDon't worry, Me-TV FM fans. Your favorite soft-rock oldies station won't be going away.
DuPage County | DuPage County man gets 30 years in beating murderDuPage County man gets 30 years for murder of man he thought made rude remark about his girlfriend.
- 11:30 AMPhiladelphia protesters sue city over tear gas, use of force
- 11:20 AMTrucker charged with drug use before Indiana crash killed 4
- 11:16 AMWalgreens reports $75 million of looting damage
- 11:14 AMConfederate statue being moved at University of Mississippi
- 11:12 AMFired VA staffer facing 7 murder counts in insulin deaths
More Suburban News Find your community
- MundeleinMundelein police chief chosen as next village administrator
- AuroraAurora man charged with possessing large 'shank' at Kane County jail
- McHenry CountyJudge orders Franks to pay attorney's fees, reduces sanctions tied to contempt finding
- WaucondaWauconda Area Library could reopen to public Wednesday
- BataviaBatavia planning to offer grants for liquor license fees
- EducationPay raises coming for District 118's support workers
- BloomingdaleBloomingdale cancels Septemberfest, fireworks
- RosemontChicago man charged with battery at Rosemont hotel
- RoselleSome Roselle water bills sent in error
- AuroraHelping the Helpers: How pandemic has impacted Association for Individual Development
- NewsPalatine Township collecting backpacks, school supplies
- Carol StreamA Carol Stream father's struggle to survive as COVID-19 sweeps through his family
- 11:41 AMSt. Charles Public Library reopening July 15
- 11:29 AMBatavia's Water Street Studios returns to in-person classes with 'Artful Fridays'
- 11:17 AMEcker, Renz complete merger; now named Ecker Center for Behavioral Health
- 5:26 PMRoselle Public Library District to join SWAN Consortium
- 1:39 PMD300 Foundation website gets a makeover
- 1:14 PM'AWARE for All' event July 16 to focus on disparities in clinical trials
- 11:32 AMSchaumburg police receives accreditation status
- 10:36 AMMaryville holds 1st free golf clinic for youth at Marquette Park Golf Course July 21
Through the Film Magnifier: Bill Veeck, George Hamilton, Bridge Club, Stateville Prison riot and more
Inside Daily Herald