News | Dad waives jury trial in beating death of AJ Freund. Sentencing date set for AJ's mom.
Sentencing for JoAnn Cunnningham, who has pleaded guilty to first degree murder in the death last April of her 5-year-old son, AJ Freund, was set for April 30 and AJ's father Andrew Freund has waived a jury trail.
Lake County | Truck driver killed in Long Grove crashA semitrailer truck driver was killed Thursday in a crash in Long Grove that shut down a 2-mile stretch of Route 83.
News | Personal accounts: How coronavirus affected local travelers in ItalyCoronavirus disease caused changes from small to major for Daily Herald staffers and their family members visiting Italy, where there have been 300 cases and 12 deaths in the north. Here are two travelers' stories.
Kane County | Batavia teen bomb-making suspect charged with terrorism, could face life in prisonA former Batavia High School student arrested on charges he possessed explosives now faces 14 total charges, the most severe being terrorism, which carries a top sentence of life in prison if the student is transferred to and convicted in adult court.
News | Rivers expects sportsbook tipoff in time for March MadnessThe Rivers Casino in Des Plaines recently launched 24/7 operations and hopes to be taking bets on sports as soon as the NCAA March Madness tournament, its CEO told investors in an earnings call Thursday.
Crime | Police: Brawl at Wheaton North stemmed from social media disputeA brawl at Wheaton North High School that led to mob action charges againt seven students stemmed from a dispute that started on social media, police said Thursday.
News | Great Lakes Coca-Cola Bottling building facility in ElginA soon-to-be-built $20 million facility for Great Lakes Coca-Cola Bottling Company is expected to bring about 240 full-time jobs to Elgin.
News | Two people seriously hurt in crash near St. CharlesTwo people were seriously injured after crashing into a tree near St. Charles, officials said.
Business | Amazon plans grocery store in NapervilleA new grocery option from online retail giant Amazon could be coming to Naperville, city documents show.
Crime | Yang lawyers gain access to evidence concerning former Bears player GayleA Lake County judge ruled Thursday to allow attorneys for Marni Yang -- convicted in 2011 for murdering the pregnant girlfriend of former Chicago Bears player Shaun Gayle -- to get access to evidence related to Gayle's alibi.
News | Hoffman Estates update: Spring Awakening won't be back; coronavirus didn't mar hospitalProgress on the first phase of the Bell Works "metroburb" replacing the former AT&T campus in Hoffman Estates, and the unlikeliness of a second Spring Awakening Music Festival being held in the village, were among the items on Mayor Bill McLeod's annual community update Thursday.
Crime | Glen Ellyn man found guilty of raping, murdering ex-wifeA Glen Ellyn man was found guilty Thursday of raping and killing his ex-wife in the home they shared.
McHenry County | McHenry County woman identified as 1999 murder victim to be reburied in BelvidereThe woman who was identified last year as a 1999 murder victim from Harvard, will be reburied next to her mother and grandparents in Belvidere on what would have been her 44th birthday. Peggy Lynn Johnson was buried as "Jane Doe," shortly after a jogger discovered the 23-year-old's body on the side of a Wisconsin road.
- 12:53 AMAfghans view US-Taliban deal with well-earned skepticism
- 12:42 AMMississippi man gets death sentence for multiple killings
- 12:15 AMStocks just 'corrected,' a regular but still scary event
- 11:36 PMScars of violence haunt India's capital after deadly riots
- 11:23 PMChicago schools drop Columbus Day for Indigenous Peoples Day
More Suburban News Find your community
- Carol StreamCarol Stream man faces stalking charges
- GenevaGeneva man broke acquaintance's leg during fight, prosecutors say
- Cook CountyAre commercial properties fairly assessed? Board of Review candidates differ on issue
- NewsAnother longtime Dist. 59 board member steps down
- West DundeeElk Grove deputy fire chief hired to lead department in West Dundee
- SchaumburgKrishnamoorthi, 8th District challengers expected at Schaumburg forum Saturday
- ElginDog, rabbit die in Elgin house fire
- Girls' BasketballFremd gets its revenge vs. Lake Forest
- Prep SportsBoys swimming and diving: Maine South's Young in good position heading to state
- Boys' BasketballDavidson's remarkable 50-year coaching career ends
- Girls' BasketballNew-look Lake Park defeats Geneva
- Girls' BasketballGrayslake Central shakes off St. Viator, barely
- 5:29 PMPlay explores meaning of ownership, oppression
- 10:53 AMDenyse Wang Stoneback Is Strong Candidate to win Illinois' 16th House District
- 10:53 AMCollege of Lake County accepts letters of intent to fill open trustee position
- 10:53 AMChurch of the Cross supports local vets
- 10:53 AMChurch of the Cross supports local vets
- 10:53 AMHoffman Estates Park District Commissioner is Vice-Chairman of Leading Statewide Association for Parks
- 10:53 AMBuffalo Grove Park District President Elected Chairman of Leading Statewide Association for Parks
- 9:50 AM'In My Life' Beatles tribute comes to Hemmens March 4
Through the Film Magnifer: William H Macy, Illinois Bell Strike, Montgomery Wards sking, 1979 blizard and more
Inside Daily Herald