Columns | Police say new law means less training for officers
A new state law created to ease the burden of excessive court fees on those least able to afford them is having an unintended consequence: fewer dollars for important police training programs.
Lake County | This Mundelein 6-year-old is done with leukemia. Classmates call him a superhero.First-grader Lucas Blanco was honored as a superhero Thursday by hundreds of classmates at Washington Early Learning Center in Mundelein. Lucas had his final chemotherapy treatment last Friday.
Crime | Mettawa Mayor Casey Urlacher linked to illegal gambling ring in indictmentCasey Urlacher, the mayor of North suburban Mettawa and brother of Chicago Bears icon Brian Urlacher, is charged along with nine others in connection with an illegal offshore sports gambling ring, federal prosecutors announced Thursday.
DuPage County | Brian Dugan, Paul Runge prosecutor from DuPage mourned for 'tremendous empathy'DuPage County officials are in mourning for former prosecutor and judge Michael Wolfe.
Business | New restaurants, from chains to mom-and-pop, set to open in Rolling MeadowsA bevy of new restaurants, from chains to mom-and-pop and sit-down to fast casual, are coming to Rolling Meadows in 2020, city officials say.
Crime | Schaumburg man arrested on warrant for aggravated stalkingA 42-year-old Schaumburg man was arrested at his home on Weathersfield Way Wednesday and charged with aggravated stalking and two counts of violation of an order of protection.
White Sox | White Sox shortstop Tim Anderson is hoping some big changes will improve his defenseChicago White Sox shortstop Tim Anderson led the major leagues with a .335 batting average last season. He also led the majors with 26 errors and worked hard during the off-season to improve his defense.
Politics | Senate candidate backs away from her own claims she brought gun into Hinsdale CentralA Belleville Republican seeking her party's nomination for U.S. Senate backed away Thursday from statements she made claiming she brought a weapon into Hinsdale Central High School during an appearance Feb. 13 at a student-sponsored candidate forum.
Crime | Driver dead, Aurora man charged with attempted murder after police chaseAn Aurora man has been charged with a nine felony counts after a Wednesday shooting in Aurora that triggered a police chase and crash that killed one person, police said Thursday.
News | Residents say cut-through traffic is a hazard. Can Arlington Heights fix it?Arlington Heights leaders pledged more research and a follow-up session after meeting with about 40 Cleveland Avenue residents who say the village hasn't done enough to address concerns about cut-through traffic.
Literature | 5 fun weekend events: Suds up at the Lake County Craft Beer Fest in GrayslakeTaste local and national brews when the Lake County Craft Beer Festival returns to Grayslake, plus the Lincoln State Cat Club's 59th annual Cat Show comes to St. Charles and Scott Simon of NPR's "Weekend Edition Saturday" reads from his new book at Anderson's Bookshop in Naperville.
Education | Pritzker stumps for higher education budget at UICOne day after delivering his budget proposal to the General Assembly in Springfield, Democratic Gov. JB Pritzker was in Chicago on Thursday rounding up support for his proposed increases in higher education funding.
Politics | Intelligence officials say Russia is interfering in 2020 election to help TrumpIntelligence officials have warned lawmakers that Russia is interfering in the 2020 election campaign to help President Donald Trump get reelected, according to three officials familiar with the closed-door briefing.
- 2:02 PMVenezuela's Maduro taps DC firm to fight US sanctions
- 1:53 PMMom of Idaho kids missing since September arrested in Hawaii
- 1:49 PMPolice: 3 dead, 1 injured in central Texas stabbings
- 1:44 PMIran votes in parliament elections that favor conservatives
- 1:36 PMStudents' arrest over slur prompts review of ridicule law
More Suburban News Find your community
- CaryMayor talks future downtown improvements during roundtable
- AuroraTwo charged in shooting, chase after Aurora pot deal
- AuroraDemocratic candidates for Kane state's attorney differ over minor drug arrests
- St. CharlesAuthorities: Man hit 3 people during St. Charles bar fight
- Kane CountyKane County District 6 Democratic hopefuls debate revenue sources
- Naperville5-story building to complete downtown Naperville block
- GenevaGeneva to update building and fire codes
- WheatonDuPage County recorder candidates say they would help transition if office is dissolved
- RosemontBody found at Rosemont parking garage
- NapervilleNaperville's best pizza? Little Pops, event attendees say
- SchaumburgSchaumburg waiting to see what federal, state governments may do on vaping
- Prep WrestlingMontini advances 11 to state quarterfinals
- 1:15 PM'Lawyer in the Library' returns Feb. 27 to Gail Borden Library
- 11:07 AMPass With Flying Colors to Celebrate Students at Annual College Dreams Gala
- 10:39 AMDistrict 54 receives its 22nd Meritorious Budget Award
- 10:39 AMCollaborative Professional Learning Communities ensuring student success in District 54
- 9:51 PMChange a child's story by volunteering with CASA Kane County
- 6:22 PMRoselle's Rose Queen crowned for 2020
- 10:56 AMArea 7th grade girls invited to experience Woodlands March 12
- 10:47 AMRep. Weber: Gov.'s Budget Proposal Lacks Necessary Reforms
Inside Daily Herald