Business | Buffalo Grove hopes fitness club revitalizes struggling shopping center
Buffalo Grove trustees Monday approved a rezoning and special use permit that clears the way for a new 24 Hour Fitness health club to open in the nearly vacant Cambridge Commons shopping center.
News | Why teen vaping is an epidemic that needs urgent attention, experts warnE-cigarette use among teenagers is a growing epidemic that's quickly outpacing other substances, such as alcohol, marijuana, prescription drugs and opioids, health experts warn. The rapid increase in teen vaping has caught many suburban school officials, law enforcement and health care workers by surprise. And everyone is playing catchup to stem its proliferation.
News | Park Ridge teen sues Juul, Philip Morris for nicotine addictionA Park Ridge teenager who says he became addicted to nicotine through vaping has filed a class-action lawsuit against leading e-cigarette manufacturer Juul and tobacco industry giant Philip Morris.
News | How St. Charles' decision on pot sales could affect medical dispensaryA St. Charles medical marijuana dispensary would likely relocate to another community if the city chooses not to allow recreational cannabis sales, company leaders said Monday.
Politics | Report finds bullying, intimidation in Speaker Michael Madigan's officeAn investigation of sexual harassment in House Speaker Michael Madigan's office found that control has been too centralized and discourages complaints about mistreatment.
News | Long John Silver's restaurant in Hanover Park is closingA long-standing fast-food restaurant in Hanover Park is closing its doors permanently.
News | Des Plaines won't leave marijuana sales decision to votersDes Plaines officials won't be asking voters to weigh in on whether to city should allow sales of recreational marijuana in town.
Lake County | Rival criticizes Lake County State's Attorney over Old Mill Creek murder chargesLake County State's Attorney Mike Nerheim is facing criticism from his chief political opponent for his decision to levy murder charges against five teenage accomplices of Jaquan Swopes, 14, who was shot to death by a homeowner while allegedly trying to break into the man's car in Old Mill Creek last Tuesday.
Crime | Lombard couple prohibited from charitable work, fund-raisingA Cook County judge has prohibited a Lombard-based charity and its founders from doing any work, or fund-raising money for any charity, after allegations of theft.
McHenry County | Court allows foreclosure sale of AJ's home in Crystal LakeA McHenry County judge Tuesday gave an investor authority to proceed with a foreclosure sale of the Crystal Lake home where 5-year old AJ Freund lived and, according to authorities, was murdered.
DuPage County | DuPage County begins discussions about allowing marijuana salesA DuPage County Board committee is recommending less restrictive zoning for recreational pot businesses than medical cannabis establishments, a move that sets the stage for a larger discussion about the possible sale of recreational marijuana in unincorporated areas.
News | Mexican restaurant switcheroo: Fat Rosie's to replace On the Border in SchaumburgSchaumburg's On the Border Mexican Grill & Cantina restaurant at 870 N. Meacham Road closed last week but is expected to be succeeded by Fat Rosie's Taco & Tequila Bar within a couple months.
News | Naperville neighbors oppose added traffic from developmentTartan Realty Group is pitching plans for The Shoppes on Washington, a cluster of three buildings that could include stores, offices and a coffee shop with a drive-through lane on 3.5 acres. But neighbors who oppose the project fear it would cause additional traffic in the already busy area.
- 12:11 AMThe Latest: Pell verdict welcomed, more investigation urged
- 12:02 AMAustralian court upholds sex abuse verdict of Cardinal Pell
- 11:52 PMVenezuela crisis pushes women into 'forced motherhood'
- 11:26 PMUrgency for vaccine grows as virus ravages China's pigs
- 10:38 PMSketch of suspect released in California campus slaying
More Suburban News Find your community
- NapervilleCouncil denies plan for 24/7 gas station in Naperville
- WheatonLA Fitness to open in former Ultra Foods in Wheaton
- ElginElgin man gets 6 years for selling drugs near Wing Park
- AuroraTeen guilty in $6K Aurora coin theft, seeks admission to drug court
- Villa ParkVilla Park woman pleads guilty to bank fraud
- BarringtonBarrington students get warm welcome back to school
- NewsDamaging hail, winds possible with storms today
- Rolling MeadowsRolling Meadows medical marijuana dispensary seeks to add recreational sales
- StreamwoodTwo-vehicle crash in Streamwood injures 1
- BarringtonTrial of Barrington man charged will killing wife to likely conclude Wednesday
- ElginElgin group helps men over 50 build friendships through volunteering
- CrimePolice release two persons of interest in Arlington Heights shooting
- 9:27 PMLearn about heirloom vegetables and gardening in difficult times at Garfield Farm Museum show Aug. 25
- 8:03 PMMuralist Juan Chawuk unveils 'Frida 2020' installation in advance of Frida Kahlo exhibit at College of DuPage
- 7:42 PMNicor Gas begins system upgrades in Itasca
- 7:18 PMVersiti Blood Center of Illinois hosts September blood drives
- 6:55 PMDundee Township Park District to hold free Family Fun Day Aug. 24
- 6:25 PM360° Painting of Naperville supports local students with big donation of school supplies
- 4:52 PMCollege of DuPage brothers create visual timer to help students with disabilities transition between activities
- 12:19 PMShowtime Theatre of Huntley to put on musical revue Aug. 23-25
Inside Daily Herald