Lake County | Derecho topples Wheaton church steeple, causes other damage across suburbs
A rare derecho swept across the Midwest on Monday, causing widespread property damage and leaving tens of thousands without power. Some of the most dramatic damage in the suburbs was sustained by the iconic white steeple atop College Church in Wheaton.
Crime | What's behind Chicago's looting spree, and why this one is differentWhy this spate of unrest and lawlessness in Chicago is different than what happened earlier this year.
Kane County | Kane County is ready for votes by mailThe Kane County Clerk's Office and other suburban clerk's offices are buying new sorting equipment, printers and hiring more staff to send out vote-by-mail ballots and to ensure they are counted quickly and accurately on Nov. 3. "I'm more worried about human error than voter fraud," said Clerk John "Jack" Cunningham.
Business | Eatery with Korean influence will replace Nikko's in Prospect HeightsAn independently owned spinoff of Ttowa Korean Bistro in downtown Arlington Heights -- albeit with a more eclectic culinary identity -- is expected to open in the former Nikko's restaurant in Prospect Heights near Hersey High School early next year.
Business | Mundelein may create new taxing district to promote redevelopment on south sideMundelein officials are considering creating a special taxing district for the commercial zone on the village's south side.
News | Glenview woman killed when hit by vehicle in Maine TownshipAn 81-year-old Glenview woman was killed Sunday when she was struck by a vehicle while attempting to cross Central Road in Maine Township.
Politics | Illinois reports 1,319 new COVID-19 cases, 1 deathNew cases of COVID-19 increased by 1,319 Monday and one person died of the respiratory disease, the Illinois Department of Public Health said.
News | COVID-19 testing site moves from Rolling Meadows High School to Arlington ParkThe Northwest suburban COVID-19 state drive-through testing site relocated Monday from Rolling Meadows High School to Arlington International Racecourse, officials said.
Columns | Rozner: Blackhawks' depth will be tested against VegasOn paper, Vegas has a big edge on the Blackhawks, but someone might have once said they don't play the games on paper.
Columns | Feder: David Kaplan and Jonathan Hood to co-host mornings on ESPN 1000David Kaplan and Jonathan Hood, two longtime Chicago sports/talk personalities, are teaming up to co-host a new local morning show on WMVP 1000-AM, the ESPN Radio station managed by Good Karma Brands.
Crime | Blood stains and broken glass: Suburbanites react to Chicago's night of chaosThe crime spree was not a total shock for Aurelio Lee, the suburban owner of a property management firm that oversees sites in Chicago's Gold Coast neighborhood. But the trails of blood -- left by looters who smashed into high-end stores early Monday -- were.
Illinois | Aug. 10 COVID-19 cases per county; search by ZIP codeSince the outbreak began, there have been 95,208 cases in the suburbs as of Monday. That's 49% of the state's total, according to the Illinois Department of Public Health.
Cook County | State's Attorney Foxx pushes back on criticism from opponent, top cop after Chicago lootingCook County State's Attorney Kim Foxx was at the center of controversy Monday over vandalism and looting in Chicago's downtown business district but rejected criticism from Chicago's police superintendent and her Republican opponent as "blame games."
- 11:21 AMIsraeli PM's uneasy alliance seems headed toward collapse
- 11:11 AMBoeing: No orders, more cancellations for grounded 737 Max
- 11:10 AM1 dead after powerful storm leaves devastation in Midwest
- 11:02 AMOpposition candidate leaves Belarus, urges end to protests
- 10:43 AMReview: `Story of Gardening' gets a timely update
More Suburban News Find your community
- Naperville7 residents safe after Naperville grill fire extends to house
- PalatinePalatine approves boxing and martial arts studio's move
- Deer ParkFire causes estimated $200,000 damage to Deer Park home
- DuPage CountyWill recorder office referendum get axed in DuPage?
- LibertyvilleLake County Forest Preserves offer virtual fishing program
- Lake CountyLake County Board extends emergency declaration until Sept. 8
- NewsCoach describes slain Glenbrook South wrestler as charismatic, quiet, hard-working
- Downers GroveJuvenile charged in Downers Grove, Warrenville carjackings to be tried as an adult
- WheatonPeople's Resource Center providing school supplies to families in need
- Lake ZurichLake Zurich residents prefer rebuilding Paulus Park Barn with a new floor
- LibertyvilleNo injuries in Medline warehouse blaze
- Lake VillaMount Prospect-based manufacturing firm to expand in Lake Villa
- 11:49 AMLisle Park District now taking fall registration
- 9:54 AMCOUNTRY Financial Supports Lake Villa Fire Department through Operation Helping Heroes Donation
- 7:37 PMAshfaq Syed appointed to Naperville Public Library board
- 7:15 PMKane County Health Dept. encourages COVID-19 convalescent plasma donations
- 6:41 PMDr. Michael G. Earing to lead cardiology for Chicagoland Children's Health Alliance
- 5:05 PMNorthern Illinois Hosta Society hosts online auction and plant sale Aug. 26-30
- 4:47 PMNational Express Transit (NEXT) donates vehicle to Housing Forward
- 12:54 PMElmhurst Symphony Orchestra concert explores 'French Connections'
Inside Daily Herald