Illinois | Illinois reports 25 more COVID-19 deaths, another 1,317 infected
State health officials announced Friday that 25 more Illinois residents died from COVID-19 and another 1,317 people have been infected.
Education | District 54 offers students choice between classroom, virtual learningSchaumburg Township Elementary District 54 will offer families a choice between in-person classroom instruction and virtual learning during the 2020-21 school year.
Columns | Police quiet on Roselle shooting, fueling rumors and speculationNearly two weeks after a man was shot to death, and others were injured, in a house in Roselle, police have not released any more information. Not even the number of people injured.
Theater | Marriott, Drury Lane theaters remain dark until 2021Sad news for suburban theater lovers, Lincolnshire's Marriott and Oakbrook Terrace's Drury Lane will remain shuttered until spring 2021.
Columns | Rozner: White Sox a good bet? Anything's possibleWhat was going to be a season in which the White Sox tried to reach .500, might turn out to be much more exciting than expected.
Prep Football | No more contact (for now) in high school practices as IHSA tightens Phase 4 guidelinesLess than a week after unveiling Phase 4 of its return-to-play plan, the Illinois High School Association announced in a Thursday email to athletic directors its intention to restrict the plan, with no contact drills and no physical contact among athletes, in addition to an indoor mask mandate.
Editorial | Editorial: The disturbing and unreasonable silence around Roselle shootingThis Daily Herald editorial says that in cases like a Roselle shooting that left one man dead and multiple people injured, police and government officials have a duty to provide at least basic details about what occurred.
Crime | How some suburban courts plan to resume jury trials, keep people safeDuPage County court officials say they'll restart jury trials July 20, joining McHenry and Kane counties in taking steps to ensure defendants can exercise their constitutional right to a timely trial before their peers, and at the same time ease anxiety and safety concerns and keep people safe.
Education | Archdiocese announces plan to reopen buildings to 70,000 studentsThe Archdiocese of Chicago Friday announced more details on its plans for reopening its school buildings to 70,000 students in Cook and Lake counties in the fall, which it committed to last month.
Business | Opening soon, Mall of India will be Naperville's first indoor mallNaperville's first indoor shopping mall -- the Mall of India -- is coming soon.
News | Arlington Heights to reconsider ban on recreational pot salesWith the state raking in millions of dollars from legalized recreational marijuana and towns starting to collect local taxes this month, the Arlington Heights village board is set to reconsider its ban on sales.
Education | If Trump withholds funds from schools that don't open, how bad will they be hit?Federal funding, which President Donald Trump threatened to take away from schools that don't reopen in the fall, represents an average 7% of revenue for the 852 public school districts in Illinois.
Entertainment | Six Flags Hurricane Harbor in Gurnee to open for members July 20, everyone else July 27The Hurricane Harbor water park next to Six Flags Great America in Gurnee will open to park members and season pass holders for a preview week from July 20 to July 26, officials announced Thursday. The water park will be open for the general public starting July 27.
More Suburban News Find your community
- NapervilleHow DuPage County plans to use $7 million in federal COVID-19 relief funds
- Glen EllynHouse fire near Glen Ellyn displaces resident
- NewsNunda Township Supervisor Lee Jennings died Tuesday
- CrimeYork High student pleads guilty to posting threatening video
- Mount ProspectMount Prospect leaders engage in frank exchange about race
- LibertyvilleStorm damage pickup in Libertyville
- Vernon HillsVernon Hills police to evaluate use of body cameras
- NewsAlgonquin's village board approves development of car wash, tire store and restaurant on east side
- Island LakeIsland Lake won't allow backyard chickens
- Prospect HeightsPost office in Prospect Heights closed after vehicle hits building
- CrimeNorth suburban man charged with illegal sports betting, tax offenses
- GrayslakeNew restaurant, bar opening Friday in downtown Grayslake
- 12:39 PMFaith leaders plan camping gear distribution for homeless
- 12:30 AMLaura Curtis to co-host community care package drive-thru for local families
- 12:20 AM2020 Officer David White Scholarship awarded to Katelyn Schultz
- 1:27 PMHome of the Sparrow's online auction opens July 13
- 12:41 PMMurphy to host virtual town hall meeting July 22
- 9:29 AMMount Prospect Public Library reopens its doors
- 9:12 AMMead Jr. High students place in National History Day contest
- 12:26 AMMcHenry County groups to host Latino Conservation Week July 18-26
Through the Film Magnifier: Doug Buffone, Cloris Leachman, draft registration, aerobics class and more
Inside Daily Herald