Politics | After controversy, mayor says standards coming for Des Plaines Theatre bookings
Following community backlash over a conservative group's now-canceled booking of the city-owned Des Plaines Theatre, municipal leaders are working with the company that operates the venue to develop standards for future events.
Lake County | Nearly 70 vehicles involved in pileups just north of Illinois-Wisconsin borderUp to 70 vehicles were involved in pileups Friday afternoon on highways just north of the Illinois-Wisconsin border.
Crime | Memphis authorities release video showing violent arrest leading to Tyre Nichols' deathAuthorities released video footage Friday showing Tyre Nichols being beaten by five Memphis police officers who held the Black motorist down and repeatedly struck him with their fists, boots and batons as he screamed for his mother.
Transportation | Rail merger opposed by suburbs should go forward, analysts sayIn a final report issued Friday, federal regulators contend the positives of a hotly debated merger sought by the Canadian Pacific Railway and opposed by many suburbs outweigh any negatives. Now it's up to members of the U.S. Surface Transportation Board to make a decision.
Commercial Real Estate | Miniso, a creperie and an escape room among 6 new stores coming to Woodfield MallHalf a dozen new stores are on their way to Woodfield Mall in Schaumburg in the coming months, including two making their first appearances in the Chicago and Illinois markets, as well as a fun escape room.
News | 'A real miracle': Survivors of cardiac arrest, first responders honored at Naperville Fire Department banquetSurvivors of cardiac arrest and the first responders who helped save them were honored at the Naperville Fire Department's Survivors Banquet.
News | Why suburban food pantries expect further stressIllinois' Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program benefits will return to their pre-pandemic levels in March, creating further stress for suburban food pantries that have seen skyrocketing demand due to inflation.
News | 'An inspiration to us all': 90-year old Crystal Lake man still runs 3 miles a dayGeorge Diedrichs, a Crystal Lake man who just celebrated his 90th birthday, inspires his neighbors by running three miles each and every day regardless of the weather outside.
News | As hospitalizations for COVID-19 dip, all suburban counties at low risk levelsHospitalizations for COVID-19 dropped by 18%, the Illinois Department of Public Health reported Friday. So far the highly contagious "Kraken" variant represents about 16% of new cases in Illinois.
Crime | Police: Teens face kidnapping charges after putting woman in a small storage closetTwo teens were charged with aggravated kidnapping after putting a woman in "jail," which Schaumburg police described as a small storage closet.
Business | Restaurant offering many Caribbean flavors to open next month in GurneeCaribana Island Bar & Grill is expected to have a soft opening the second week of February. The restaurant features cuisine from several Caribbean nations.
Transportation | O'Hare remains the second busiest airport in nation, gains ground from 2021We're No. 2! Atlanta's Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport is the busiest airport again; O'Hare trails by 34 flights a day.
- 8:22 AMThings to do Jan. 27-Feb. 2: Groundhog Day and Lunar New Year events and more
- 10:02 PMVilla Park police: Harvey man fled traffic stop while driving stolen car
- 5:20 PMElgin releases new mobile apps for city services and police department
- 5:18 PMChicago man facing charges after drugs, weapon found in Des Plaines
- 5:15 PMNew school board member appointed in District 87
More Suburban News Find your community
- ElginElgin man charged with stalking middle schoolers
- Villa ParkPolice: Man fired a machine gun more than 30 times in Villa Park neighborhood
- EducationDistrict 73 plans to extend instructional day to 7 hours in 2023-24
- EducationDist. 220 superintendent leaving job at end of school year
- Girls' BasketballFremd wins at Palatine, stays perfect in MSL West
- Boys' BasketballBartlett's depth shines at Elgin
- Boys' BasketballLake Park builds 21-point lead on Batavia, wins by 2
- Girls' BasketballProspect edges Hersey to tie for MSL East lead
- Boys' BasketballStevenson's Ambrose wins 500th game
- Boys' BasketballPanek's clutch free throws lift Warren over Lake Zurich
- Boys' BasketballChtilianov, Waubonsie Valley slam Metea
- Boys' BasketballWilder, Ivy spark Larkin's win at Fenton in new roles
- 3:09 PMYork Drama to present classic and contemporary takes on the seminal drama '12 Angry Men'
- 2:16 PMStreamwood Park District Commissioner Wright Honored
- 1:40 PMSinging valentines are back for sweethearts in the western suburbs and beyond
- 1:21 PMChicago's Role in the Underground Railroad Highlights Black History Month at the NSYMCA
- 10:15 AMMundelein Executive Assistant Formally Thanked for 27 Years of Dedicated Service
- 10:15 AMFremont School District 79 Principals Earn Recognition from Illinois Principals Association
- 10:15 AMLocal Business Earns the Ricoh Circle of Excellence Certification for 2023
- 10:07 AMOrthodontic Experts Welcomes Our Newest Doctor to the Rockford and DeKalb Communities!
Inside Daily Herald