News | 'We feel like we have poked the bear': Couple, city fighting over backyard greenhouse
A West Chicago couple's plans for a backyard greenhouse have sprouted into a fight with the city, which says the project spiraled well beyond what was originally permitted.
News | Man shot dead by Elk Grove police had called 9-1-1 seeking help, family believesThe family of an Elk Grove Village man fatally shot by police Friday believe he may have called law enforcement seeking help for emotional distress just before the deadly encounter, their attorney said Monday.
News | Two SIU students from suburbs killed in Carbondale crashTwo suburban teens attending Southern Illinois University were killed in a two-vehicle crash in Carbondale on Monday morning.
Health Care | Suburban hospital group NorthShore -- Edward-Elmhurst Health rebrands as Endeavor HealthThe parent company of several suburban hospitals is rebranding as Endeavor Health after a merger nearly two years ago created the third-largest health care network in Illinois.
Special Report | Arlington Heights village manager gets second straight 7% raiseLongtime Arlington Heights Village Manager Randy Recklaus, the village's day-to-day point person for negotiations with the Chicago Bears and area school districts over a new stadium at Arlington Park, is getting a 7% raise for a second consecutive year.
Politics | Two more contested Illinois House primaries appear as filing closesSeventeen additional 2024 general election races for suburban seats in the Illinois House and Senate have materialized in the week since the first day of filing Nov. 27, but only two new primary contests have emerged.
Politics | Recorder of deeds seat sparks contested primaries in Kane and DuPage countiesThere will be a handful of contested primary races in DuPage and Kane counties, but most candidates will have a clear path to the general election.
News | Des Plaines again delays condemning former Leona's buildingDes Plaines officials have once again delayed forcibly purchasing a long-vacant restaurant building in the downtown district.
Crime | Look out, lawbreakers: Wheeling inks 5-year deal for license plate-reading camerasCameras that record the license plates of passing vehicles and can analyze features of those autos are sticking around in Wheeling.
Business | McGonigal's Pub in Barrington to close at the end of the monthAfter almost 14 years in downtown Barrington, McGonigal's Pub will close at the end of the month.
Boys' Basketball | Boys basketball / Top 20Downers Grove North, Benet and Warren are the top three teams in the Daily Herald's boys basketball rankings.
Politics | Republicans file to take on Schneider, Ramirez; Casten, Quigley face new primary challengersThe last day of petition filing for Illinois' March 2024 primary election saw more congressional candidates enter contests to serve the North, West or Northwest suburbs.
- 10:45 AMSee "A Man Called Otto" at Wauconda library Friday
- 7:46 AMBook review: 'Welcome to The O.C.' serves as a definitive look back at the 20-year-old Fox drama
- 7:22 AM'We are officially hostages': How the Israeli kibbutz of Nir Oz embodied Hamas hostage strategy
- 7:21 AMIsrael strikes in and around Gaza's second-largest city in a bloody new phase of the war
- 7:21 AMPrince Harry challenges the decision to strip him of security in Britain after he moved to U.S.
More Suburban News Find your community
- Lake BarringtonDomanico's Steakhouse in Lake Barrington closing at end of the year
- NewsArlington Heights temporarily suspends nonemergency permit processing
- NapervilleWoman charged with murder in Oakbrook Terrace hotel shooting
- Lake CountyFirst union contract for Lake County court employees
- AuroraAurora to release traffic study report for part of Eola Road
- ElginElgin animal rescue to hold 'Holiday Pawlooza' Dec. 9
- South BarringtonTwo suffer minor injuries in late night South Barrington house fire
- BusinessMcHenry doesn't want gambling parlors, but defining what those are is no sure bet
- GenevaNew York-style pizza restaurant coming to Geneva is a real family operation
- Grayslake'The dog is everywhere': Stuffed canine brings comfort to new military mom
- WaucondaSee "A Man Called Otto" at Wauconda library Friday
- Des PlainesKids Above All seeking donations, volunteers for annual holiday drive
- 11:19 AMGamers smash competition, build community in Harper College's growing esports team
- 11:06 AMHoliday favorites Big-Band style at Palatine's Durty Nellie's Dec. 10
- 8:39 AMImmanuel Lutheran to host free Christmas event for children Dec. 17
- 12:10 AM'The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe' comes to Lake Park High stage Dec. 7-9
- 11:39 PMFarmside Christmas at Fischer Farm rescheduled to Dec. 9
- 10:47 PMAsian Improv aRts Midwest's celebratory 'Taiko Legacy 20th Anniversary' concert Dec. 17
- 8:02 PMECC art student Esbeyda Garcia Diaz curates a voice for local Venezuelan migrants
- 7:57 PMGPS Parent Series speaker to help quiet one's inner critic
Inside Daily Herald