Illinois | Next phase of vaccinations begins Monday, but state warns shots are still scarce
Gov. J.B. Pritzker said all regions of the state can begin offering COVID-19 vaccinations to the next group of eligible recipients -- anyone 65 and older or an essential front-line worker -- but he warned the supply is still so low that it could still take weeks for some to be inoculated.
MLB | Hank Aaron, baseball's one-time home run king, dies at 86Hank Aaron, who endured racist threats with stoic dignity during his pursuit of Babe Ruth but went on to break the career home run record in the pre-steroids era, died early Friday. He was 86.
News | Schaumburg Amazon Fresh store to open ThursdaySchaumburg's long-anticipated Amazon Fresh grocery store will open on Thursday, Jan. 28, becoming only the second to begin operating in Illinois.
News | Big snow coming Monday? Here's what could be on the wayThough the storm is 3,000 miles away, the National Weather Service says accumulations of six inches of snow or more are looking likely Monday for a growing swath of the region.
News | Gail Borden library buildings to reopen Monday with safeguardsWith Kane County now in Tier 2 pandemic mitigations, the Gail Borden Public Library District plans to reopen its three buildings Monday with several safeguards in place.
DuPage County | How DuPage County will launch next wave of vaccinationsAs DuPage County prepares to move to the next wave of COVID-19 vaccinations, medical providers are finalizing plans to distribute scarce shots to seniors and essential workers.
Politics | 'There will be a trial': Trump impeachment to go to Senate Monday, triggering trialHouse Speaker Nancy Pelosi said Friday that she will send the article of impeachment against Donald Trump to the Senate on Monday, triggering the start of the former president's trial on a charge of incitement of insurrection over the deadly Capitol Jan. 6 riot.
News | Do you feel lucky? Suburbs on a roll with 3 lottery wins, bigger jackpot looming FridayWith a $970 million Mega Millions jackpot drawing coming Friday, the suburbs are on a bit of a lottery roll this week after claiming a $1 million Mega Millions ticket was sold in Elk Grove Village and a pair of $150,000 Powerball tickets sold in Arlington Heights and Schaumburg. Do you feel lucky?
Kane County | The latest on COVID-19 vaccinations in the suburbsAs the state pivots to COVID-19 vaccinations for seniors and essential workers, here's the latest information.
Illinois | Trying to win Mega Millions? These are the numbers that come up mostHere are the Mega Millions lottery balls that are drawn the most -- and why that doesn't make them lucky numbers.
Business | Sears demolition clearing way for big plans at Hawthorn MallEvidence of the massive makeover planned for Hawthorn Mall in Vernon Hills has emerged, as demolition of the former Sears anchor store is underway.
News | Lucky few hit COVID-19 vaccine jackpot for rare extra dosesFortune struck one man in the bakery aisle at the supermarket. Two others were working the night shift at a Subway sandwich shop. Yet another was plucked from a list of 15,000 hopefuls.
- 5:30 PMVenezuela power struggle impedes delivery of COVID vaccine
- 5:28 PMBiden's pause on oil cause for big concern in New Mexico
- 5:24 PMBrazil receives vaccine cargo from India amid supply concern
- 4:58 PMHow major US stock indexes fared Friday
- 4:56 PMGuard in DC forced to sleep in garages, sparking outcry
More Suburban News Find your community
- Rolling MeadowsNew restaurants opening, as others close in Rolling Meadows
- McHenry CountyFather of murdered 5-year-old AJ Freund disbarred after guilty plea
- AddisonDuPage will have 2 new traffic courts when in-person business reopens Feb. 1
- NewsFremd High School principal moving to District 211's main office
- Deer ParkDeer Park lifts ban on beehives
- Buffalo GroveBuffalo Grove trustee candidate Magati stays on ballot
- McHenry CountyLocal entrepreneur, former professional driver sworn in as newest McHenry County Board member
- Downers GroveDowners Grove moving ahead with drainage improvement project
- St. CharlesRogina strongly backs St. Charles' temporary ban on outdoor amplified music
- Round Lake BeachRound Lake Beach man who died in accident Wednesday identified
- Mount ProspectResidents want thin blue line removed from Mount Prospect police patch
- Kane CountyKane County searching for a local Republican to fill treasurer position
- 2:11 PMRecycle Your Unwanted Electronics, Saturday
- 10:51 AMMundelein High School's National Honors Society Students Partner with Tree-Plenish to Offset Their School's Paper Usage by Planting Trees
- 10:46 AMPrince of Peace celebrates Catholic Schools Week
- 9:10 AMCelebrities highlight Marklund's virtual 'Top Hat' gala
- 9:04 AMStudents who are curious about the fascinating research being conducted in the state-of-the-art laboratories at the College of Engineering and Engineering Technology (CEET) can now explore the labs virtually from their mobile devices or laptops at go.niu.
- 9:04 AMNew exhibit, 'Together We Cannot Fail,' opens Jan. 22 at Elmhurst History Museum
- 9:01 AMThe Elk Grove Township Transportation Department is proud to offer senior and disabled residents safe solutions to get to medical appointments, the grocery store and to complete other errands year-round.
- 8:56 AMEach year, the Saint Viator community gathers for a major fundraising and community-building eventâ€"the Night of the Lion.
Eagle watching, skating and golf in the snow were a part of what Daily Herald photographers found in the Chicago suburbs and present to you here in The Week in Pictures photo gallery for January 8-15, 2021.
The cold weather helped us make beautiful photos for The Week in Pictures photo gallery for January 2-8, 2021.
Inside Daily Herald