Politics | Illinois' COVID-19 positivity rate much lower than some neighbors'
Cases of COVID-19 rose by 883 Monday as deaths from the respiratory disease increased by six, officials said. Illinois' positivity rate has crept up from early July when it hovered at 2.6% but compares favorably with other Midwestern averages. Iowa is at 8.9%, Indiana is at 8.4% and Wisconsin is at 6.9%. Michigan's average also is 2.6%.
Crime | Family 'shocked' after conviction overturned in 41-year-old Inverness murder caseAfter the wife of Inverness commodities broker Carl Gaimari was convicted of his 1979 murder, his brothers thought justice had been served. The Illinois Appellate Court's reversal of Jacquelyn Greco's guilty verdict last week marks a new beginning in their pursuit of justice for their brother.
News | Suburban congregations, private schools received millions in PPP loansAt least 187 churches, synagogues, faith-based private schools and other religious institutions in 60 suburbs received more than $166 million in Paycheck Protection Program loans, according to Small Business Administration data.
News | A Carol Stream father's struggle to survive as COVID-19 sweeps through his familyVentilators saved his family. But a Carol Stream father needed a last-ditch effort by doctors to survive COVID-19.
News | Stevenson addressing photos of Klan costume at partyA Stevenson High School official said Sunday the school is aware of photos circulating on social media purportedly showing a current student dressed in a Ku Klux Klan costume at a Halloween party.
News | 'Someone who never quit': Des Plaines man dies a month after motorcycle crashDylan Arends, 22, died Saturday afternoon. He had been at Advocate Lutheran General Hospital in Park Ridge in a medically induced coma since a June 7 motorcycle crash.
News | Customers rally around Continental Restaurant in Buffalo Grove after flower theftDuring his 25 years serving customers at the Continental Restaurant in Buffalo Grove, Pete Panayiotou has earned a reputation for giving back to the community. But after someone stole the flowers outside his popular eatery, it was the community that gave back to him.
Sports | Chicago Marathon canceled due to pandemicThe Chicago Marathon has been canceled due to COVID-19, race organizers said Monday.
DuPage County | DuPage County man gets 30 years in beating murderDuPage County man gets 30 years for murder of man he thought made rude remark about his girlfriend.
Illinois | July 13 COVID-19 cases per county; search by ZIP codeSince the outbreak began, there have been 78,463 cases in the suburbs as of Monday, 51% of the state's total, according to the Illinois Department of Public Health. There have been 3,665 deaths in the suburbs, representing 51% of all deaths in Illinois.
Sports | Bowling centers not happy with state's reopening planBowling centers in the state of Illinois were allowed to open on June 26. But many operators are not happy that the state is limiting them to 50 people, rather than 50 percent capacity.
News | Missing Palatine woman's body identified at Cook County medical examiner's officeThe body of a 21-year-old Palatine woman reported missing by her family in late May lay unidentified in a Cook County medical examiner's facility for more than a month, authorities said Monday.
DuPage County | St. Charles man charged with indecent solicitation in DuPage CountyA St. Charles man has been charged following a week-long investigation into sexually inappropriate online conversations he was having with an individual he believed was a 14-year-old girl, DuPage County Sheriff's officials said Monday.
- 10:39 PMAsia shares drop on jitters over virus, China-US friction
- 10:36 PMJudge blocks federal executions; administration appeals
- 9:55 PMLegal experts review Black Minnesota teen's life sentence
- 9:54 PMJockey Ken Church, winner of over 2,000 races, dies at 90
- 9:36 PMProtest in Pennsylvania after cop uses knee to restrain man
More Suburban News Find your community
- BataviaBatavia planning to offer grants for liquor license fees
- BloomingdaleBloomingdale cancels Septemberfest, fireworks
- DuPage CountyItasca expects 14% revenue drop because of COVID-19
- EducationPay raises coming for District 118's support workers
- RosemontChicago man charged with battery at Rosemont hotel
- RoselleSome Roselle water bills sent in error
- EducationDistrict 211 to shift among three attendance options in 2020-21
- Lake CountyComment on stormwater rules
- NewsPalatine Township collecting backpacks, school supplies
- West ChicagoWest Chicago signs celebrate soccer champs
- Carol StreamComEd trimming trees in Carol Stream
- East DundeeEast Dundee police seeking accreditation
- 5:26 PMRoselle Public Library District to join SWAN Consortium
- 1:39 PMD300 Foundation website gets a makeover
- 1:14 PM'AWARE for All' event July 16 to focus on disparities in clinical trials
- 11:32 AMSchaumburg police receives accreditation status
- 10:36 AMMaryville holds 1st free golf clinic for youth at Marquette Park Golf Course July 21
- 10:36 AMHeat relief for local walkers.
- 10:36 AMNorth Suburban YMCA summer camps reopen with strict safety protocols
- 10:36 AMLibrary Invites All Ages to Join Summer Challenge
Through the Film Magnifier: Bill Veeck, George Hamilton, Bridge Club, Stateville Prison riot and more
Inside Daily Herald