Crime | Lawsuit: DCFS workers showed 'inhumane indifference' to AJ Freund's safety
A pair of Illinois Department of Children and Family Services investigators showed "inhumane indifference" to the safety of murdered Crystal Lake boy AJ Freund, ultimately leading to his killing earlier this year, a federal lawsuit filed Wednesday by the boy's estate alleges.
Cubs | Joe Maddon returns to Los Angeles Angels as new managerJoe Maddon has agreed to become the Los Angeles Angels' manager.
Business | Hoffman Estates considers Hindu retirement community, wellness centerA Hindu nonprofit organization hopes to build a retirement community in Hoffman Estates featuring 34 homes and a wellness center on 27 acres of currently unincorporated land at the southeast corner of Golf and Rohrssen roads.
Chicago | Chicago teachers will go on strike ThursdayChicago teachers are set to go on strike after failing to reach a contract deal with the nation's third-largest school district.
News | Columns to be removed at Masonic Temple in AuroraMore than a week after a fire burned the Lincoln Masonic Temple beyond repair, crews working to demolish the charred remains are expected to salvage a key part of the nearly century-old Aurora landmark.
News | Contract impasse could lead to teachers strike in Addison Dist. 4Teachers in Addison Elementary District 4 filed a 10-day intent to strike notice Wednesday that could lead to the cancellation of classes for more than 4,000 students as early as Oct. 24, union officials said. But the co-president of the Addison Teachers' Association, Allison Andrikokus, stressed the union's main goal is to get back to the bargaining table with the school board.
News | Hidden gem forest preserve near Antioch ready for public debutRasmussen Lake has been drained and Mill Creek restored, and on Friday the Ethel's Woods Forest Preserve near Antioch will make its official debut with 1.5 miles of trails and four scenic overlooks.
Cook County | Long-sought trail link will connect Arlington Heights to Lake County Forest PreserveA long-sought pedestrian connection from Arlington Heights to the Buffalo Creek Forest Preserve in Lake County is planned for construction starting next spring, officials said.
Politics | Walsh campaign low on cash, but finds a friend in Kellyanne Conway's husbandNo donations from rainmaker Dick Uihlein but Kelly-Ann Conway's husband likes Joe Walsh, presidential campaign filings show. Walsh could use a few more friends with $115,000 in the bank.
News | Why two Schaumburg trustees voted against ballpark dealSchaumburg village trustees have voted 4-2 to recommend approval of an agreement allowing the Schaumburg Park District to relinquish its half ownership of Schaumburg Boomers Stadium through a onetime payment of $1 million to the village.
Chicago | Chicago OKs marijuana zoning, prohibits sales in LoopThe Chicago City Council Wednesday set zoning rules for recreational sales of marijuana in the city, prohibiting the sales in the heart of the Loop.
Kane County | Widow testifies husband attacked from behind in fatal Aurora birthday fightTwo brothers are on trial this week on charges of aggravated battery and involuntary manslaughter stemming from an October 2017 fight in Aurora that left a 36-year-old man dead at his own birthday party. Attorneys for Jose M. Alejandre and Raul Colin have argued self defense; the widow of Erik Mendez testified Colin attacked her husband from behind and Alejandre pushed Mendes backward, causing him to hit his head.
News | Schaumburg plans on allowing up to 5 marijuana shops in townSchaumburg trustees voted 5-1 Tuesday to recommend final approval next week of two local laws regulating the sale of recreational marijuana in the village and to refer a third to the zoning board of appeals for its consideration and a public hearing tentatively scheduled for Nov. 6.
- 8:27 PMWarren, candidate with the answers, dodges tax hike question
- 8:24 PMBus near Saudi holy city of Mecca crashes, killing 35 people
- 8:20 PMChicago teachers to strike in nation's 3rd largest district
- 8:05 PMMan accused in probe of Giuliani associates is freed on bail
- 7:54 PMLake County jail officer accused of falsifying timecards
More Suburban News Find your community
- ElburnProsecutors: DUI arrest of St. Charles man turns up cache of drugs
- AuroraDeKalb man charged with sexually assaulting Aurora teen
- SchaumburgZurich North America in Schaumburg to hold 'Chicago Fire' contest
- AuroraNew spot for Diwali Festival of Lights in Aurora
- WaucondaWauconda cops to get raises under 4-year contract
- NapervilleHistorian plans tour of furniture magnate Kroehler's influence in Naperville
- St. CharlesDistrict 303 approves new contract, updated goals for Superintendent Pearson
- South ElginNo injuries after fire at South Elgin manufacturing plant
- Oak BrookDuPage forest district looking to revitalize Mayslake Peabody Estate
- NewsRaging Waves water park announces plan for six-lane Aussie Mat Dash
- BataviaBatavia art studios to kick off charity mural series
- NewsRenovated Round Lake High stadium to make debut at homecoming on Friday
- 5:57 PMNIU Engineering to host open house Nov. 2
- 1:26 PMAARP Tax-Aide needs volunteers
- 10:38 AMSing songs, hear stories at 'Jammin' Round the Campfire'
- 7:39 AMArea residents are invited to join the Palatine Area Chamber of Commerce (PACC) at its 4th annual Business Expo and Community Showcase at Falcon Park Recreation Center in Palatine on Saturday, November 9, 2019 from 10:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m.
- 7:31 AMSenator Ann Gillespie (D) District 27, House Representative Tom Morrison (R) District 54, and House Representative Mark Walker (D) District 53 will participate in a Legislator Forum on Sunday, November 3 at Our Saviour's Lutheran Church, 1234 N. Ar
- 7:29 AMIllinois Bone & Joint Institute's (IBJI) Palatine Physical Therapy clinic opened in April 2019 in downtown Palatine, at 25 W. Wilson Street. In addition to the Palatine location, two northern Illinois IBJI clinics - Crystal Lake and Wauconda
- 10:55 PMImmanuel Lutheran-Batavia to host High School Info Night Oct. 28
- 10:24 PMSt. John's UCC-Harmony welcomes new pastor
Inside Daily Herald