Transportation | 'There's nothing for these paramedics to do': Remembering the Flight 191 crash
Former Daily Herald photojournalist Dave Tonge reflects on covering the crash of Flight 191 that killed 273 in Des Plaines on May 25, 1979.
Lake County | Hundreds of Lake County properties were overtaxed, officials admitHundreds of Lake County property owners received tax bills this month that wrongly asked for too much money because of computer errors that eliminated legitimate credits, officials acknowledged Thursday.
Columns | How Schaumburg cops are rallying around stricken colleagueColleagues describe officer Ross Urso as the best cop on the force and the literal picture of health. So is came as a shock this spring when Urso revealed he had Stage 4 cancer and was in the fight of his life. Now, the Schaumburg Police Department and suburban law enforcement community are rallying around the 19-year veteran with a pair of fundraisers.
Transportation | Tollway promises new vote after chairman approves subcontract with former employerNew Illinois tollway Chairman Will Evans voted to approve a contract with the engineering company he had stopped working for just weeks earlier.
News | Elgin council likes idea of 24 hours' notice before impounding private property on public spacesBalking at photos showing loads of bags and even a pitched tent in public parking garages, Elgin City Council members endorsed a city hall plan to tighten regulations regarding private property left in public spaces.
News | More severe weather could be on the way tonight. Here's what you need to know.A band of heavy thunderstorms is expected to move in to to the area Friday evening with the potential to bring large hail and damaging winds, the National Weather Service is reporting.
News | District 211 tries again to sell 62-acre Schaumburg sitePalatine-Schaumburg High School District 211 board members voted 6-1 Thursday to begin their second attempt to sell 62 vacant acres in Schaumburg by approving a contract with a home developer that was last year's third-highest bidder.
News | Caputo chosen to become COD's next presidentThe interim president who has been overseeing daily operations at the College of DuPage is poised to remove the "interim" part of his title. COD board members on Thursday night agreed to appoint Brian Caputo as the seventh president of the state's largest community college.
News | North Aurora firm recalls 62,000 pounds of beef that may have E. coliA North Aurora packing company is recalling 62,112 pounds of raw beef products that may be contaminated with E. coli, U.S. Department of Agriculture's Food Safety and Inspection Service.
Columns | Feder: ESPN 1000 blasts Nielsen for ratings undercountA rare correction and admission of error by Nielsen Audio Thursday wasn't enough to satisfy WMVP 1000-AM after the ESPN Radio sports/talk station was shortchanged in the latest Chicago radio ratings, Robert Feder writes.
Crime | Schaumburg police seeking possible child lurerSchaumburg police are warning the public about a possible child luring that occurred Thursday morning as a student was walking to Lincoln Prairie Elementary School in nearby Hoffman Estates.
News | Daily Herald's Pyke wins honors for investigative reportingDaily Herald senior writer Marni Pyke placed third in the prestigious Richard H. Driehaus Foundation Awards for Investigative Reporting for her series reporting on Illinois tollway contracts and hiring.
- 8:27 AMChef Mario Batali pleads not guilty to assault charge
- 8:24 AMFormer officer pleads guilty to battery for punching suspect
- 8:21 AMRussian court extends arrest for American accused of spying
- 8:14 AMIconic mustangs sculpture site near Dallas to get makeover
- 8:09 AMHamilton Lakes buildings undergo $7 million renovation
More Suburban News Find your community
- News100 years in the making -- video highlights Memorial Day in Arlington Heights
- Elk Grove VillageElk Grove-sponsored Bahamas Bowl set for Dec. 20
- Mount ProspectDriver hospitalized after vehicle rolls over in Mount Prospect parking lot
- WheatonDuPage County's sex offender registry coordinator receives national award
- ElginElgin founder of suburban group of McDonald's franchises remembered as a kind businessman
- LincolnshireTwo hospitalized after hazardous material situation at Lincolnshire pool
- St. CharlesGas station, retail space slated for St. Charles business park
- Prep SportsBoys track and field: Olenek, Jones jumping right in at state meet
- Prep SportsBoys tennis: Hersey's Sheldon on cruise control during first day at state
- Prep SportsBaseball: Burlington Central blows out Wheaton Academy
- Prep SportsBoys track and field: Hersey's Methner shooting for a 'double crown' at state
- Prep SportsBaseball: Towns' big day leads Fremd past Hersey, into regional final
- 7:59 AMTransportation Options for Seniors: Finding Rides, Friday May 31
- 7:56 AMSchaumburg's Popular Farmers Market Returns May 31
- 7:44 AMHarper College student success agenda continues upward trajectory
- 7:39 AMDucky Tradition at St. Emily School
- 7:37 AMDistrict 54 Board of Education seeking applicants for vacancy
- 7:31 AMCook County Health Pledges $1M to Flexible Housing Pool
- 7:30 AMChicagoland Catholics and Muslims share their perspective in Ramadan dinner
- 7:28 AMCook County Health Awarded Nearly $5 Million to Improve Pregnancy Outcomes, Reduce Infant Mortality
Inside Daily Herald