Transportation | Storm's aftermath affects flights, traffic; big freeze is coming
If you don't need to travel -- hunker down, police advise drivers. Meanwhile, O'Hare and Midway aren't back to normal yet.
News | 'It could have been so much worse': Pickup truck hit right where McHenry Starbucks barista was workingA Wonder Lake man driving a pickup truck suffered a medical issue late Thursday afternoon, resulting in the truck crashing into a McHenry Starbucks and injuring five people, McHenry police said on Friday.
Columns | O'Donnell: Scandal -- what scandal? MLB dilemma is all about image, not integrityJim O'Donnell says MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred hasn't done much to stop the bleeding.
Sports | On Bryant rumors, Epstein says Cubs don't 'have to do anything'Kris Bryant was a no-show Friday for the start of Cubs Convention, but the star third baseman didn't get traded. He was in his room at the Chicago Grand Sheraton with the flu.
News | Appeals court upholds pension benefits for widow of Buffalo Grove firefighterAn appellate panel has upheld a ruling that the widow of a Buffalo Grove firefighter who died of colon cancer is entitled to receive her husband's full pension benefits.
News | How an Aurora student ended up on 'The Ellen Show'A video of 16-year-old Brynn Drews paying for another customer's Starbucks drink after her wisdom teeth extraction earned her a trip to "The Ellen DeGeneres Show."
White Sox | Back on the attack: McDowell accuses former Sox manager Tony LaRussa of cheatingOn a radio show Friday morning in Charlotte, North Carolina, Jack McDowell accused former White Sox mananager Tony LaRussa of using a camera to steal signs at old Comiskey Park in the 1980s.
Business | BurgerIM at Streets of Woodfield closes 6 months after openingThe new BurgerIM restaurant at Streets of Woodfield shopping center in Schaumburg has closed less than six months after it opened.
Transportation | Thousands of Illinoisans to get driving privileges backTens of thousands of Illinoisans who have had their driver's license suspended or revoked for having too many unpaid parking tickets or fines for other non-moving violations will soon get their driving privileges reinstated.
News | Professor: Community colleges need to look at implicit bias against men of colorLack of encouragement from teachers and implicit biases against boys and men of color influences whether they're successful from their early schooling years and into college and professional careers, says J. Luke Wood, co-director of the Community College Equity Assessment Lab working with more than 150 schools, colleges and universities nationwide on equity.
Columns | Why Illinois State Police are changing standards for recruiting pushFaced with a bevy of retirements in the next two years and already staffed at levels well below were they were a couple of decades ago, the Illinois State Police are making a big recruiting push this month -- and they're lowering some of their requirements to fill their ranks.
Crime | Elgin man faces minimum 42-year prison term after skipping rape trialAn Elgin man who was a no-show for his trial this week faces a minimum 42-year prison term after a jury convicted him of sexually assaulting a girl he knew. A Kane County jury Thursday convicted Mario Piñeda, 36, of seven counts of predatory criminal sexual assailt of a child under 13, and two counts of aggravated criminal sexual abuse.
- 3:58 PMLibya's eastern-based forces move to halt oil exports
- 3:45 PMYemeni officials: 25 troops killed in Houthi missile strike
- 3:34 PMOlympic site used for 2016 Rio games shut over safety issues
- 3:32 PMThe first president of University of Southern Indiana dies
- 3:30 PMSplits in France's strike movement trigger fears of violence
More Suburban News Find your community
- Prospect HeightsAuthorities say man sexually abused teenage girl in Prospect Heights motel
- CrimeWoodridge man charged in investment scam
- RosemontAMC unveils theater upgrades in Rosemont
- WinfieldFrustration mounts as Winfield-CDH standoff continues
- Des PlainesFake $100 bills used at Des Plaines fast food restaurants
- StreamwoodTraffic stop leads to Streamwood teen's arrest on drug, weapons charges
- Boys' BasketballHodges' wingspan comes in handy for Schaumburg in win over Barrington
- Boys' BasketballHampshire gets back on track
- Prep WrestlingGlenbard North captures 1,000th victory
- Boys' BasketballPalatine's defense locks down on Conant
- Boys' BasketballStevenson knocks off Waukegan
- Girls' BasketballLake Park tops Geneva in OT
- 10:52 PMBAMtheatre presents 'Twelfth Night The Musical' Jan. 31 to Feb. 2
- 10:23 PMVote for your favorite dance team at PADS of Elgin's 'Stars Dance' benefit
- 9:39 PMShop and sip at Winter Wine Walk in downtown Wheaton Jan. 25
- 9:12 PMFermilab's Gallery Chamber Series to feature Chicago Brass Quintet Feb. 16
- 8:11 PM'Family Ties' stars to bring 'Love Letters' to Batavia Fine Arts Centre Feb. 7
- 7:26 PMWheaton College Artist Series continues with Jan. 24 concert
- 6:34 PMDowners Grove North to bring 'Luck of the Irish' to the stage Jan. 31-Feb. 1
- 6:30 PMSt. Charles Police Department to host Citizens Police Academy
Through the Film Magnifier: A Vietnam POW, frog jumping, drag-racing cars, klondike sledding and more
Inside Daily Herald