News | A day of sunshine for seriously ill children
About 200 firefighters, scouts, parents and onlookers Saturday at the Pingree Road station in Crystal Lake greeted children with life-threatening illneess on the North Pole Express train
Lake County | Three killed in head-on crash in Beach ParkThree people, two from Waukegan and one from Beach Park, were killed early Saturday in a head-on crash in Beach Park.
Politics | The suburbs' fateful role in three presidential impeachmentsSuburban lawmakers have played key roles in presidential impeachment proceedings, casting critical votes on Richard M. Nixon's fate, leading the charge against Bill Clinton and asking tough questions in the current investigation of Donald Trump.
News | Thousands of dead Alaska seabirds are washing ashore, for a fifth year. Experts call that a climate 'red flag.'For five years in a row, masses of dead birds have been turning up on Alaska shorelines. The die-offs correlate with a heat-up of the marine environment -- at times an extreme heat-up.
News | Wreath laying recognizes Elk Grove graveyard, veterans buried there going back to Revolutionary WarWith wreaths of honor, a civic club praised veterans -- and the cemetery in which they are buried -- Saturday in Elk Grove Village.
News | Streamwood man who died in Guatemala left final gift for sonAfter his death, his sister and brother traveled to Guatemala to bring home his body -- and the last present his 8-year-old son would get from his dad.
News | 'Islam doesn't have any geographic boundaries': Naperville cultural event shows Muslims' diversityThe third annual Muslims Around the World event Saturday at the Islamic Center of Naperville showed "Islam doesn't have any geographic boundaries," as the mosque's Imam said.
Lake County | Libertyville woman jailed on charges of cutting woman with pocket knifeA Libertyville woman remains in the Lake County jail Saturday on several charges, including aggravated battery, after police said she cut another woman with a pocket knife.
News | New eviction notices issued to sex offenders at Aurora ministryNew eviction notices have been issued in an ongoing case related to the residence of 19 child sex offenders at a ministry in downtown Aurora.
Cook County | Woman killed on I-294 trying to cross from disabled vehicle to family's carA 20-year-old woman from downstate Illinois was killed Friday night on the Tri-State Tollway when she tried to cross from her disabled vehicle near the inside lane to waiting family members on the outside lane, state police said in a news release Saturday.
Columns | Facts Matter: Report that Bernie Sanders is ending his campaign is falseAfter California Sen. Kamala Harris' decision to end her presidential campaign, posts falsely claiming Democratic U.S. Sen. Bernie Sanders was also ending his 2020 bid began showing up on social media. But Sanders is expanding his campaign, Bob Oswald says in his Facts Matter column.
Crime | AJ Freund's DCFS caseworker, supervisor firedThe caseworker and supervisor in charge of the DCFS investigation into AJ Freund's well-being at the time when he was murdered have been fired by the state.
- 7:23 PMProtracted street clashes engulf Beirut near protest camp
- 7:12 PMUnder pressure, Hallmark pulls gay-themed wedding ads
- 6:51 PMBanker, New York City savior Felix Rohatyn dies at 91
- 6:34 PMShooting at suburban Atlanta mall injures 1 as shoppers flee
- 4:58 PMChurch services, vigils mark Sandy Hook shooting anniversary
More Suburban News Find your community
- Lake ZurichLake Zurich High School marching band headed to London
- CrimeArlington Heights Montessori school may close; treasurer charged in Ponzi scheme
- Des PlainesWaiting for state approval, Rivers Casino tees up planned sportsbook
- Island LakeIsland Lake approves zoning rules for marijuana businesses
- WaukeganThree charged in armed robberies of pedestrians in Waukegan
- Downers GroveCarjackings reported in Downers Grove, Warrenville
- LibertyvilleDowntown Metra lot repair on hold after development fizzles
- AuroraAurora woman found unfit for trial in infant son's death
- Mount ProspectMount Prospect hires law firm to handle Block 56 redevelopment issues
- St. CharlesWhat should a longer elementary day look like in District 303?
- WinfieldHealth officials: Legionnaires' cases could be linked to Central DuPage Hospital
- Glen EllynGlen Ellyn looks to sell land at Five Corners intersection
- 12:07 AMSt. Charles Electric Christmas Parade winners announced
- 11:23 PMDuPage Housing Authority awarded mainstream vouchers
- 11:18 PMGive an hour a week to be a literacy volunteer
- 10:45 PMSpringbrook and Naperbrook golf courses retire debt from capital projects
- 10:40 PMSuburban-area college students present STEM leadership projects
- 10:35 PMIllinois Brass Band to present 'Holiday Classics' family concert Dec. 21
- 10:27 PMHamdard CEO announces retirement from organization he founded in 1992
- 10:12 PMLocal entrepreneurs partner for kids' academic success
Inside Daily Herald