Crime | 'We seek justice': Suspect in Highland Park shootings charged with 7 murders as police detail troubling past
As the death toll from Monday's mass shooting at Highland Park's Independence Day parade rose to seven Tuesday, authorities announced charges that could put the suspected gunman in prison for life and disclosed new details about the massacre and the suspect's troubled history.
Crime | Highland Park mass shooting suspect to be held without chance of bailThe 21-year-old Highwood man accused of carrying out a mass shooting during the Highland Park Independence Day parade Monday will be held in Lake County jail without bail, a judge ordered Wednesday morning.
Crime | What happened in the eight hours after shots rang out at Highland Park's July 4 paradeTypically the sidewalk crowds are five rows deep at Highland Park's Fourth of July Parade -- it's that beloved. But a longtime tradition quickly turned into a national tragedy. Here's how it unfolded.
News | 'We must be here now': Hundreds attend Highland Park vigil for prayer and healingFriends, neighbors and perfect strangers turned to each other in the crowded pews of Highland Park Presbyterian Church Tuesday night, sharing pieces of their broken hearts.
News | 'We'll mourn together and we'll offer support together': Highland Park responds to shootingStill reeling from the shock of a July 4 shooting that left seven people dead and dozens more injured, Highland Park residents are coming together to support one another.
Crime | Police outline how Highland Park suspect amassed arsenal despite troubling historyAuthorities describe how the suspect accused of killing seven people and wounding more than two dozen others at Monday's Fourth of July parade in Highland Park was able to obtain firearms despite troubling past encounters with police.
Politics | Trump White House counsel Cipollone to testify to Jan. 6 panelPat Cipollone, Donald Trump's former White House counsel, is scheduled to testify Friday before the House committee investigating the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol, according to a person briefed on the matter.
News | 'Jacki's work, kindness and warmth touched us all': Member of Glencoe synagogue among victimsA longtime staff member at a Glencoe synagogue was among the people slain by a gunman during the Independence Day parade in Highland Park.
Editorial | Daily Herald opinion: We need congressional inquiry into scourge of gun violence and how to stop itDaily Herald opinion: It's government's responsibility to keep us safe and free. We need a congressional inquiry into the causes, impacts and potential policy solutions to America's unique scourge of gun violence.
Crime | Father died protecting son, 2, from shooting at Highland Park paradeKevin McCarthy, 37, died protecting his son, said Michael Levberg, whose 39-year-old daughter Irina -- McCarthy's wife and Aiden's mother -- also was among the seven people killed as they watched the parade.
Crime | FBI opening family assistance center for victims of Highland Park shootingThe FBI has opened a family assistance center in Highland Park to assist people physically or emotionally affected by Monday's mass shooting. Personal items left along the parade route after the shooting also will be available for retrieval at the center.
Bears | Hinz: Lightfoot to explore putting a dome on Soldier Field, even as Bears prepare to move outThe dome "almost certainly" will require some sort of taxpayer subsidy, says a draft of a report that may be released as soon as Thursday.
- 10:30 AMFestivals July 8-14: Rockin' Rotary Ribfest, Dog Days of Summer, Kane County Fair & more
- 10:23 AMPolice: July 4 mass shooting thwarted in Virginia's capital
- 10:22 AMStocks waver on Wall Street as turbulent trading persists
- 10:19 AMWisconsin court: Sex trafficking can be defense for homicide
- 10:18 AMThe next frontier for drones: Letting them fly out of sight
More Suburban News Find your community
- PalatineResident injured when mulch ignites inside Palatine garage
- AuroraMan 'severely burned' trying to extinguish grease fire inside Aurora apartment
- Downers GrovePolice say man shot at vehicle in Downers Grove
- LombardLombard fire officials believe lightning caused blaze that killed family's cat
- Kane CountyMan killed, woman injured in ATV crash in Kane County
- AlgonquinLake in the Hills' Rockin' Ribfest serves up food, music
- NapervilleNaperville 203 names new principal at Ranch View Elementary School
- NapervilleNaperville updates code of conduct to include board, commission members
- NapervilleVolunteers sought for Naperville's Last Fling
- NewsEarly morning Crystal Lake house fire causes $225,000 in damage
- Elk Grove VillageElk Grove Village launching new service request app
- Long GroveChicago Baseball Cancer Charities golf event is back in business
- 10:18 AMTour Arlington Heights museum campus, play mystery game
- 9:01 AMSchool Districts in Full Compliance
- 8:57 AMPalatine Author Releases New Best Selling Sales Revenue Book
- 8:55 AMMarklund board chair Frank Murnane Jr. steps down
- 8:20 PMSign up for St. Hugh of Lincoln's blood drive July 21
- 7:59 PMDuPage County CareVan comes to Villa Park for vaccine clinic for kids
- 2:57 PMLove Story Bridal holds grand opening in Huntley
- 12:23 PMKane County Recycling Extravaganza returns July 9
Inside Daily Herald