Crime | What happened in the eight hours after shots rang out at Highland Park's July 4 parade
Typically the sidewalk crowds are five rows deep at Highland Park's Fourth of July Parade -- it's that beloved. But a longtime tradition quickly turned into a national tragedy. Here's how it unfolded.
Crime | Highland Park mass shooting suspect to be held without chance of bailThe 21-year-old Highwood man accused of carrying out a mass shooting during the Highland Park Independence Day parade Monday will be held in Lake County jail without bail, a judge ordered Wednesday morning.
Crime | Waukegan man identified as seventh parade shooting victimAuthorities this morning identified a 69-year-old Waukegan man as the seventh person killed in Monday's mass shooting at the Highland Park Independence Day parade.
News | 'What can I do to help?': Highland Park doctor jumps in to help wounded along parade routeDr. Wendy Binstock Rush was among the medical professionals at the Highland Park parade Monday who sprung into action in the immediate aftermath to help the wounded. "There were dozens of people who jumped and identified themselves as a nurse, as an EMT, as a physician, and said, 'What can I do to help? What can I do to help?'"
News | 'We must be here now': Hundreds attend Highland Park vigil for prayer and healingFriends, neighbors and perfect strangers turned to each other in the crowded pews of Highland Park Presbyterian Church Tuesday night, sharing pieces of their broken hearts.
Crime | Police outline how Highland Park suspect amassed arsenal despite troubling historyAuthorities describe how the suspect accused of killing seven people and wounding more than two dozen others at Monday's Fourth of July parade in Highland Park was able to obtain firearms despite troubling past encounters with police.
Crime | 'We seek justice': Suspect in Highland Park shootings charged with 7 murders as police detail troubling pastAs the death toll from Monday's mass shooting at Highland Park's Independence Day parade rose to seven Tuesday, authorities announced charges that could put the suspected gunman in prison for life and disclosed new details about the massacre and the suspect's troubled history.
Politics | Trump White House counsel Cipollone to testify to Jan. 6 panelPat Cipollone, Donald Trump's former White House counsel, is scheduled to testify Friday before the House committee investigating the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol, according to a person briefed on the matter.
Editorial | Daily Herald opinion: We need congressional inquiry into scourge of gun violence and how to stop itDaily Herald opinion: It's government's responsibility to keep us safe and free. We need a congressional inquiry into the causes, impacts and potential policy solutions to America's unique scourge of gun violence.
Crime | Father died protecting 2-year-old son from shooting at Highland Park paradeKevin McCarthy, 37, died protecting his son, said Michael Levberg, whose 39-year-old daughter Irina -- McCarthy's wife and Aiden's mother -- also was among the seven people killed as they watched the parade.
Music | Ravinia cancels Sheryl Crow, Lyle Lovett, all concerts through the weekendIn response to the shootings at the Highland Park Fourth of July parade Monday, Ravinia Festival organizers are postponing or canceling shows at the outdoor music venue through July 10.
Crime | FBI opening family assistance center for victims of Highland Park shootingThe FBI has opened a family assistance center in Highland Park to assist people physically or emotionally affected by Monday's mass shooting. Personal items left along the parade route after the shooting also will be available for retrieval at the center.
- 10:57 AMUkraine's shadow: Deadly crises like Somalia starved of aid
- 10:54 AMRocker Carlos Santana 'doing well' after collapsing onstage
- 10:35 AMBest Bets: Kane County Fair returns to St. Charles
- 10:23 AMPolice: July 4 mass shooting thwarted in Virginia's capital
- 10:22 AMStocks waver on Wall Street as turbulent trading persists
More Suburban News Find your community
- AuroraMan 'severely burned' trying to extinguish grease fire inside Aurora apartment
- PalatineResident injured when mulch ignites inside Palatine garage
- NapervilleVolunteers sought for Naperville's Last Fling
- AddisonFestivals July 8-14: Rockin' Rotary Ribfest, Dog Days of Summer, Kane County Fair & more
- Kane CountyMan killed, woman injured in ATV crash in Kane County
- AlgonquinLake in the Hills' Rockin' Ribfest serves up food, music
- NapervilleNaperville 203 names new principal at Ranch View Elementary School
- NewsEarly morning Crystal Lake house fire causes $225,000 in damage
- NapervilleNaperville updates code of conduct to include board, commission members
- Elk Grove VillageElk Grove Village launching new service request app
- Downers GrovePolice say man shot at vehicle in Downers Grove
- Long GroveChicago Baseball Cancer Charities golf event is back in business
- 11:15 AMYouth from Wheaton's Gary UMC help fix homes in Appalachia
- 10:18 AMTour Arlington Heights museum campus, play mystery game
- 9:01 AMSchool Districts in Full Compliance
- 8:57 AMPalatine Author Releases New Best Selling Sales Revenue Book
- 8:55 AMMarklund board chair Frank Murnane Jr. steps down
- 8:20 PMSign up for St. Hugh of Lincoln's blood drive July 21
- 7:59 PMDuPage County CareVan comes to Villa Park for vaccine clinic for kids
- 2:57 PMLove Story Bridal holds grand opening in Huntley
Inside Daily Herald