Politics | 'Such a sense of loss': 30 more COVID-19 deaths in Illinois as U.S. toll reaches 200,000
New cases of COVID-19 came to 1,531 Tuesday and 30 additional people died, as U.S. deaths topped 200,000. Anne Gulotta of Barrington remembers her father, Robert Kanney, who was one of them.
News | Cascade Drive-In theater takes first step in bid to reopen in West ChicagoThe iconic Cascade Drive-In in West Chicago is trying to flicker back to life 18 months after going dark.
News | Iconic Arlington Cake Box Bakery closes after 71 years in Arlington HeightsAfter more than seven decades, the iconic Arlington Cake Box Bakery in Arlington Heights has served its last chocolate chip coffee cake and Campbell Street Special.
News | Palatine store gets backlash for pro-police rally despite it not being involvedAn initial announcement that an upcoming pro-police rally would meet in the parking lot of a Palatine business prompted some backlash on social media, but the owners of the business and the shopping center were not involved in the plans, village officials said.
Politics | Underwood, Oberweis roll out first TV ads in 14th Congressional District raceThe candidates for Illinois' 14th Congressional District seat are rolling out their first TV commercials of the season.
News | Water-based crematorium to open in Arlington HeightsSeeking to fill an unmet need in the marketplace, an Arlington Heights couple plans to open a water-based crematorium this fall in an industrial area on the village's north side.
Crime | FBI asks for public's help in Jerry Harris investigationLess than a week after "Cheer" star Jerry Harris was arrested and charged with producing child pornography, FBI agents made an appeal Tuesday for the public's help finding other potential victims.
Business | St. Charles bar owners plead with city officials to stay open after midnightSt. Charles bar owners are pleading with city officials to reconsider the recent emergency order that closes bars at midnight instead of 2 a.m. to help limit the spread of COVID-19.
News | Death of 10-month-old infant investigated in GenevaThe death of a 10-month old infant Tuesday in Geneva is being investigated by the Geneva Police Department and the Kane County Major Crimes Task Force.
News | Rick Rockets 'fuel center' could be coming to Buffalo GroveBuffalo Grove trustees had favorable early reviews Monday for a proposed Ricky Rockets fuel center and new retail building on the site of a vacant office building along Lake-Cook Road.
News | Round Lake Beach store among few Family Video locations in suburbs to survive the pandemicFamily Video, a nationwide chain headquartered in Glenview, is shuttering 200 stores, including 20 in the suburban Chicago market due to declining demand and the coronavirus pandemic hurting business. Stores in Antioch, Arlington Heights, Bolingbrook, Cary, Downers Grove, Glenview, Grayslake, Mundelein, Plainfield, Schaumburg and Wheeling will close by the end of October.
Columns | How a Warren Township grad, undocumented immigrant is fighting to stop term 'illegal aliens'Living in fear of being deported since he was smuggled across the Mexico/U.S. border when he was 5 years old, Oscar Cornejo Casares of Warren Township High School found his voice at Dartmouth College. He founded a group on campus to help undocumented immigrants and produced a film about the students' fight to get the Library of Congress to stop using the term "illegal aliens."
- 6:30 PMIn battleground states, Catholics are a pivotal swing vote
- 6:28 PMKentucky city prepares for Breonna Taylor announcement
- 5:59 PMApply for open seat on Fremont library board
- 5:47 PMCuban-American judge Barbara Lagoa on Trump high court list
- 5:32 PMNike shakes off pandemic blues with surging online sales
More Suburban News Find your community
- NewsConstruction set to begin on new Spring Grove church, community center
- ElginNew signs, activities encourage school readiness at Festival Park in Elgin
- Round Lake BeachTwo juveniles charged in Wauconda armed robbery
- Carol StreamMilton Township supervisor pleads guilty to DUI
- Round Lake BeachScott Nickles named interim mayor of Round Lake Beach
- Hoffman EstatesDriver dies after crashing from tollway into Schaumburg Renaissance Hotel lot
- BarringtonFree scarecrow supplies in Barrington
- NapervilleCar burglaries reported in Naperville
- Buffalo GroveBuffalo Grove will allow, but not endorse, trick-or-treating
- WheatonPedestrian hit by car on Roosevelt Road in Wheaton
- WheatonDuPage delays vote on fairgrounds
- WaucondaSenior open house at Phil's Beach in Wauconda
- 1:05 PMLeague of Women Voters of the Elgin Area hosts virtual candidate forums
- 12:56 PMJoin in Bike & Winter Outerwear Drive Sept. 26 in Roselle
- 12:31 PMSearch for seeds during Fall Hike at Burnidge Forest Preserve Sept. 26
- 12:15 PMRandall Oaks Zoo hosts annual Fall Festival Sept. 26 to Nov. 1
- 10:51 AMJoin in live street painting event at Art of Inclusion's 'Naperville Together' Sept. 26
- 10:42 AMHighland Park Community Foundation Awards 4th Round of COVID-19 Emergency Grants to 15 Community Organizations
- 10:42 AMCollege of Lake County celebrates national Adult Education and Family Literacy Week
- 9:22 AMBring your best wishes to interactive art installation
Inside Daily Herald