Illinois | Downstate accounts for 40% of Illinois' new COVID-19 cases, up from 10% three months ago
Downstate Illinois counties see surge in the number of new COVID-19 cases each day.
Business | Plan to convert Grandt's into Mariano's gas station rejected by Arlington Heights boardThe Arlington Heights village board late Monday unanimously turned down a plan to turn a long-standing mom-and-pop gas station into what they feared would become a high-volume fueling station with more traffic.
Education | Districts 211, 15 and 54 to begin school year remotelyFollowing a growing trend, Palatine-Schaumburg High School District 211 and its feeder districts, Schaumburg Township Elementary District 54 and Palatine Township Elementary District 15, will begin the school year remotely due to increasing COVID-19 cases in the region, officials said Monday.
News | St. Charles Unit District 303 delays start date amid COVID-19 crisisSt. Charles Unit District 303 is expected to push back the first day of school to Aug. 19, allowing additional preparation time and better aligning its calendar with other districts.
Business | Chiropractic office approved for Foxfire Plaza in PalatinePalatine village council members Monday night will consider a proposal for a chiropractor's office with expanded services such as Chinese herbal medicine to occupy more than 2,000 square feet of space in a mall featuring a Butera supermarket at Rand and Hicks roads.
News | Glenbard to start school year with all-remote learningGlenbard High School District 87 will start the new school year Aug. 17 with all-remote learning and push back plans for an in-person/hybrid model until Sept. 8, Superintendent David Larson told parents in a letter on Monday.
Blackhawks | Oilers' McDavid notches hat trick in Game 2 victory over BlackhawksBuckle up, folks. Because Connor McDavid and the Edmonton Oilers kicked their best-of-five series against the Blackhawks into an entirely different gear with a Game 2 victory in Edmonton on Monday.
News | Gurnee residents can expect better water pressure soonIn the coming days, the new water tower on the west side of Gurnee will be switched on, boosting the village's water capacity and improving water pressure for thousands of residents.
Politics | Without federal relief, state faces big budget cuts, Pritzker warnsGov. J.B. Pritzker said Monday that Illinois faces the prospect of having to make deep spending cuts over the rest of the fiscal year if Congress does not pass an economic relief package that helps states make up for the massive loss in revenue they've seen since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Columns | Feder: WGN Radio boss bans CNN, Fox News and SvengoolieWith Nexstar Media Group's "News Nation" primetime newscast set to debut September 1 on WGN America, anchors and correspondents from competing networks may no longer be welcome as guests on WGN 720-AM, the company's news/talk station, Robert Feder writes.
White Sox | Reports: 'Field of Dreams' game canceled; White Sox will play in Iowa next seasonThe "Field of Dreams" game between the White Sox and Cardinals scheduled Aug. 13 has reportedly been canceled. The Sox are expected to return to Iowa for the game in 2021.
Business | July cannabis sales set record at nearly $61 millionJuly was another record month for marijuana dispensaries in Illinois, with $60.9 million in total sales.
- 9:17 AMCensus ending data collection for 2020 count a month early
- 9:16 AMWave of evictions expected as moratoriums end in many states
- 9:14 AMPolice department with Elijah McClain case gets new chief
- 9:05 AMWall Street drifts as strong, monthslong rally takes a pause
- 9:02 AMCrews rescue ostrich injured in fall into Illinois ravine
More Suburban News Find your community
- DuPage CountyDuPage County facing $14 million budget shortfall
- LombardLombard gas station sells $1 million lottery ticket
- Vernon HillsStrange odor causes Vernon Hills building evacuation
- BensenvilleMetra plans crossing work in Bensenville
- BarringtonBarrington police issue alert about vehicle thefts, burglaries
- LombardHouse fire causes $60,000 in damage in Lombard
- Lake CountyOne killed, several injured in Tri-State Tollway crash
- WaucondaWauconda's annual Art on Main exhibition is nearly ready to launch
- PalatineNew tobacco possession law takes effect in Palatine
- BartlettRailroad crossing repairs to start Aug. 12 in Bartlett
- LibertyvilleLibertyville musician busks for charity with 'Bassoons Filling Bellies'
- Prep SportsNot all spring coaches happy with new schedule
- 6:48 PMCleve Carney Museum of Art sets fall 2020 virtual programming
- 5:23 PMSide Street Studio Arts opens two new exhibits Aug. 7
- 4:18 PMElgin Kiwanis BBQ goes forward with contactless pickup
- 3:55 PMSchaumburg Library Post-pandemic Job Market Series Starts Tonight
- 3:50 PMECC student services offices open for in-person assistance Aug. 22
- 3:48 PMNew Date Set for 'Explore Palatine' to Support Local Businesses
- 3:46 PMGiveNKind Hits $2 Million Mark in Donated Goods to Nonprofits
- 3:40 PMECC's Continuing Education Department offers 'crash courses,' lecture series and more
Inside Daily Herald