Lake County | With Route 53 extension dropped, what happens to $54 million in land?
Strip malls? Nature preserves? Soccer fields? A task force could decide the fate of 1,100 acres in Lake County intended for the defunct Route 53 extension.
Crime | Embattled Mettawa Mayor Urlacher resigns from state commissionMettawa Mayor Casey Urlacher resigned from his post on the Illinois Civil Service Commission on Friday, a day after federal prosecutors named him as one of 10 defendants indicted in connection with an illegal sports betting ring.
Entertainment | 'Free isn't enough': New DuPage Children's Museum CEO wants everyone to feel welcomeAndrea Wiles wants to bring the expertise about learning and play of the DuPage Children's Museum to more children and families.
Education | What small Queen Bee School District did to produce eye-catching results on state examsA new feature on the Illinois Report Card has brought extra attention to tiny Queen Bee School District 16 in Glendale Heights. Here's what educational leaders there are doing to produce noteworthy results.
Columns | Feder: Unforced errors tarnish Marquee Sports Network launchThe Chicago Cubs and Sinclair Broadcast Group had more than a year to get their act together to launch Marquee Sports Network. Even so, Saturday's long-awaited debut turned out to be the worst new product launch in memory.
Education | Backers say the time is right for $147M Barrington 220 referendumProponents say the time is right for Barrington Areea Unit District 220 to borrow $147 million for impr0ovements at all its schools. But some question the district's financial moves leading up to the March 17 referendum.
News | Winter storm may be on heels of Sunday's balmy weatherThe suburbs enjoyed a stretch of sunny skies and springlike temperatures over the weekend, but bad news from forecasters: It's not going to last.
DuPage County | Neighbors want county to reject proposed subdivision near West ChicagoJust when it appeared that DuPage County would reject a plan to build dozens of houses on the site of a former garden nursery near West Chicago, the project picked up a key endorsement from a county panel.
Columns | Who lives in park district-owned homes? And how much does it cost them?Fourteen suburban park districts own homes that in most cases are rented to employees or the public, but some question why the park districts are acting as landlords at all.
News | 4 new places to eat, drink coming to St. CharlesA brewery, a cafe, a craft beer bar and an Italian restaurant are among the newest St. Charles establishments slated to open this spring.
News | Bicyclist seriously injured when hit by car in StreamwoodA bicyclist suffered serious injuries late Saturday when struck by a car while trying to cross Route 59 in Streamwood, police said Sunday.
Columns | Facts Matter: Trump's comment about Bloomberg's height falls shortPresident Donald Trump cut Democratic presidential contender Michael Bloomberg's height by a few inches in a name-calling Twitter post aimed at the former New York mayor, Bob Oswald says in his Facts Matter column.
- 7:30 AMUN chief issues 7-point 'call to action' on human rights
- 7:28 AMGreek island protesters vow to stop new migrant camps
- 7:15 AMMarkets tank on concern about virus impact on world economy
- 6:55 AMChina promises companies aid, global virus cases rise
- 6:51 AMItaly tries to contain virus as neighbors fear its spread
More Suburban News Find your community
- McHenry CountyMissing McHenry-area man found dead; foul play not suspected
- NewsOne injured in Zion rollover crash
- St. CharlesSt. Charles Restaurant Week aims to bring foodies to local eateries
- PalatinePalatine pays tribute to fallen firefighters
- NewsArlington Heights police raise $7,400 for Special Olympics
- PalatineMan killed trying to cross road in Palatine
- SchaumburgPolice: Schaumburg Best Buy burglarized
- Lake ForestPulitzer Prize-winning poet Lisel Mueller, who wrote from Lake County, dies
- CrimeStandoff suspect now facing sex assault, child porn charges
- PalatineConstable: Palatine writer's books span bikini-clad warriors to strong female filmmakers
- NapervilleMan found dead in Naperville apartment fire
- Vernon HillsSources of Legionnaires' identified
- 11:48 PMHighland Avenue Church to host Feb. 29 play about stolen indigenous lands
- 11:30 PMCity of Wood Dale appoints city clerk
- 10:47 PMSouth Elgin girl, born with rare heart defect, loves to dance
- 2:13 PMGrant launches library event series celebrating immigrant experiences
- 1:15 PM'Lawyer in the Library' returns Feb. 27 to Gail Borden Library
- 11:07 AMPass With Flying Colors to Celebrate Students at Annual College Dreams Gala
- 10:39 AMDistrict 54 receives its 22nd Meritorious Budget Award
- 10:39 AMCollaborative Professional Learning Communities ensuring student success in District 54
Through the Film Magnifer: William H Macy, Illinois Bell Strike, Montgomery Wards sking, 1979 blizard and more
Inside Daily Herald