Crime | 'We seek justice': Suspect in Highland Park shootings charged with 7 murders as police detail troubling past
As the death toll from Monday's mass shooting at Highland Park's Independence Day parade rose to seven Tuesday, authorities announced charges that could put the suspected gunman in prison for life and disclosed new details about the massacre and the suspect's troubled history.
Crime | What happened in the eight hours after shots rang out at Highland Park's July 4 paradeTypically the sidewalk crowds are five rows deep at Highland Park's Fourth of July Parade -- it's that beloved. But a longtime tradition quickly turned into a national tragedy. Here's how it unfolded.
News | 'We must be here now': Hundreds attend Highland Park vigil for prayer and healingFriends, neighbors and perfect strangers turned to each other in the crowded pews of Highland Park Presbyterian Church Tuesday night, sharing pieces of their broken hearts.
News | 'We'll mourn together and we'll offer support together': Highland Park responds to shootingStill reeling from the shock of a July 4 shooting that left seven people dead and dozens more injured, Highland Park residents are coming together to support one another.
Crime | Police outline how Highland Park suspect amassed arsenal despite troubling historyAuthorities describe how the suspect accused of killing seven people and wounding more than two dozen others at Monday's Fourth of July parade in Highland Park was able to obtain firearms despite troubling past encounters with police.
News | 'Jacki's work, kindness and warmth touched us all': Member of Glencoe synagogue among victimsA longtime staff member at a Glencoe synagogue was among the people slain by a gunman during the Independence Day parade in Highland Park.
Crime | "This should never have happened': Harris speaks to Highland Park residents at scene of tragedyVice President Kamala Harris pledged the federal government's support Tuesday as she met with local law enforcement, Highland Park Mayor Nancy Rotering and other local officials just steps from where a gunman killed seven spectators at the city's Fourth of July parade.
Crime | Father died protecting son, 2, from shooting at Highland Park paradeKevin McCarthy, 37, died protecting his son, said Michael Levberg, whose 39-year-old daughter Irina -- McCarthy's wife and Aiden's mother -- also was among the seven people killed as they watched the parade.
News | School community devastated by CPS teacher, family members injured in Highland Park shootingSchool shootings have become an ever-present fear, and teachers receive extensive training in how to respond to mass shootings, but Chicago Public Schools teacher Zoe Kolpack was watching the Highland Park parade with her husband, their two young children and other relatives when this mass shooting began Monday.
News | 'Much more subdued': Why Antioch decided not to cancel its fireworks after Highland Park tragedyUnlike most suburbs, Antioch and a few others decided not to cancel its Fourth of July fireworks Monday after the mass shooting in Highland Park. Mayor Scott Gartner called it "truly a lose, lose situation" but said as long as there was no threat to the community he wanted to give people a choice whether to attend.
Crime | Visiting grandfather identified as one victim of Highland Park shootingHighland Park shooting victim Nicolas Toledo had spent most of his life in Morelos, Mexico, and had come to Illinois to visit his family about two months ago.
Crime | Police say no ongoing threat after Brookfield Zoo locked down, then evacuatedVisitors at the Brookfield Zoo had to shelter in place starting Tuesday afternoon after the zoo said it was notified of a "potential threat."
Crime | Bailey apologizes for comments to 'move on' shortly after Highland Park shootingRepublican nominee for governor Darren Bailey has apologized for telling residents to "move on" from the Highland Park mass shooting 90 minutes after the attack unfolded on the Fourth of July -- and more than six hours before a suspect was arrested.
- 2:02 AMStar Trek's '˜Strange New Worlds': In defense of episodic TV
- 1:33 AMAsian benchmarks mostly lower after tepid Wall St session
- 1:31 AMSome Russians won't halt war protests, despite arrest fears
- 1:31 AMCairo's historic Nile River houseboats removed in govt push
- 1:30 AMEXPLAINER: Factors behind Sydney's recent flood emergecies
More Suburban News Find your community
- Downers GrovePolice say man shot at vehicle in Downers Grove
- LombardLombard fire officials believe lightning caused blaze that killed family's cat
- Kane CountyMan killed, woman injured in ATV crash in Kane County
- AlgonquinLake in the Hills' Rockin' Ribfest serves up food, music
- NapervilleNaperville 203 names new principal at Ranch View Elementary School
- NapervilleNaperville updates code of conduct to include board, commission members
- NewsEarly morning Crystal Lake house fire causes $225,000 in damage
- Elk Grove VillageElk Grove Village launching new service request app
- Long GroveChicago Baseball Cancer Charities golf event is back in business
- Crime'It's terrible, so terrible': What bystanders saw and heard during Highland Park July 4 shooting
- Crime'Nothing short of horrific': Highland Park residents, officials react to parade shooting
- StreamwoodStreamwood man dies after two-vehicle crash near La Grange Tuesday
- 8:20 PMSign up for St. Hugh of Lincoln's blood drive July 21
- 7:59 PMDuPage County CareVan comes to Villa Park for vaccine clinic for kids
- 4:32 PMMarklund board chair Frank Murnane Jr. steps down
- 2:57 PMLove Story Bridal holds grand opening in Huntley
- 12:23 PMKane County Recycling Extravaganza returns July 9
- 12:01 PMWest Chicago Railroad Days returns with parade, music, and fireworks
- 10:00 AMFriendship Village, Boomers form perfect partnership
- 9:45 AMWoodlands Academy launches new summer camp option for girls
Inside Daily Herald