News | Cooling centers closed: How Aurora, other communities are providing heat relief amid COVID-19
The coronavirus poses an unusual challenge during this week's heat wave, as most of the traditional cooling centers in the suburbs remain shut down. But some governments and agencies are working on ways to help people in need.
News | 37 more dead from COVID-19 as Pritzker announces new federal aid for hospitalsState health officials announced Tuesday 37 more Illinois residents have died from COVID-19 and another 587 were infected. Gov. J.B. Pritzker announced the state had received $250 million in additional federal aid for hospitals Tuesday.
News | Three Lake Zurich sports camps on hold after athletes test positive for COVID-19Three Lake Zurich District 95 sports camps have been put on hold through at least the end of the week after "a number of families" reported that their students on the football, baseball and poms teams had tested positive for COVID-19, according to district officials Tuesday.
DuPage County | DiCianni: I won't apologize for standing up for copsAmid fallout from his actions during a recent pro-police rally in Elmhurst, DuPage County Board member Pete DiCianni says he has no intention of stepping down from office.
News | Check out this boat. Elgin's water rescue team got it to keep them safer.The Elgin Fire Department's water rescue and recovery team has a new tool, a boat with an overhead roll cage that enhances safety.
News | Barrington issues boil order after water main breakThe village of Barrington issued an immediate boil order Wednesday morning due to a water main break.
Columns | Feder: MeTV flags objectionable content in 'shows from another era'Richie Cunningham, the All-American 1950s teenager played by Ron Howard on the long-running sitcom "Happy Days," has a poster on his bedroom wall that bears the image of a Confederate flag.
News | Arlington Heights officials say 'neigh' to archaic horse lawIt was long considered illegal to leave your horse unattended on the streets of Arlington Heights without having it securely fastened somewhere. How long ago? Until this week.
News | Hot-air balloon makes emergency landing in Lake in the Hills neighborhoodAn 80-year-old woman passed out during an early morning hot air balloon flight over Lake in the Hills Wednesday morning, causing the pilot to make an emergency landing in a residential neighborhood.
News | Meineke Pool in Schaumburg reopening with restrictions FridayThe Schaumburg Park District's Meineke Pool will reopen for public swimming on Friday, with strict safety protocols in place to help protect patrons from the spread of COVID-19.
News | Hot dog, a ballgame! With a smaller crowd at Chicago Dogs opener in RosemontFace masks and hand sanitizer became as much a part of the baseball fan experience on the Chicago Dogs' Opening Night Tuesday in Rosemont as peanuts and Cracker Jacks.
Politics | Opposing groups readying for fight over graduated taxDays after the governor donated $51.5 million of his personal fortune to a committee supporting a graduated income tax constitutional amendment, a new coalition has begun an effort to defeat the measure.
- 9:53 AMLithuania bans Russian television channel TV, follows Latvia
- 9:52 AMAfrica's confirmed COVID-19 cases surge above a half-million
- 9:51 AMBrazil's president, infected with virus, touts malaria drug
- 9:47 AMPinnacle names Larson chief financial officer
- 9:45 AMSara Bareilles leads 'Little Voice' to small screen
More Suburban News Find your community
- SchaumburgMan charged with DUI, child endangerment after Schaumburg crash
- BusinessTwo-year clock starts on contractor's plan for former Elk Grove Township HQ
- Downers GroveDuPage considering advisory question on reducing county board's size
- TransportationArlington Heights trustee appointed to RTA board
- McHenry CountyAcosta calls for increased transparency into McHenry County Board member health benefits
- Island LakeIsland Lake board to talk chickens, bees
- GurneeKenosha man accused of stalking Gurnee-area girl, sharing nude photos and videos of her
- BataviaHistoric Campana building damaged by firework that went off inside foyer
- ItascaABBA tribute band performing in Itasca
- ElginNew Starbucks coming to Elgin
- GurneeGrand Avenue in Gurnee to close for several days beginning Thursday
- KildeerKildeer house badly damaged by fire
- 11:28 PMRepublicans in Kane County host Community Care Package Drive July 11
- 7:57 PMNew book by Marmion monk comes out July 15
- 6:12 PMLocal health centers get COVID-19 emergency grants from Delta Dental of Illinois Foundation
- 12:47 PMCantigny offers fun for kids
- 12:36 PMLovell Federal Health Care Center to host Tele-Town Hall July 8; Register by 2 p.m. July 7
- 12:34 PMDuPage County Health Department warns 'Be safe, never touch a bat'
- 12:30 PMFox Valley Orthopedics to host blood drive July 15
- 12:09 PMComEd invites Glen Ellyn residents to 'Jazz Up In Your Backyard' July 11
Through the Film Magnifier: Doug Buffone, Cloris Leachman, draft registration, aerobics class and more
Inside Daily Herald