Education | In change of plans, District 214 will begin school year remotely
Northwest Suburban High School District 214 will begin the school year with remote learning, officials announced Wednesday, marking a shift from a draft plan announced a few weeks ago that included in-person instruction.
Illinois | COVID-19 hospitalizations increase to highest level since July 1More people were hospitalized for COVID-19 infections by the end of the day Tuesday than Illinois has seen since July 1. Another 1,759 infections and 30 more deaths were reported Wednesday.
Blackhawks | Hawks rally for furious 4-3 comeback to take 2-1 series lead over OilersThe Blackhawks rallied for a huge win over the Oilers on Wednesday night, getting 2 goals from Matthew Highmore and Jonathan Toews in just 4 minutes late in Game 3, sending the biggest shock waves across Chicago since those 2 goals in Boston seven years ago.
Business | Pheasant Run property could be divided for potential redevelopmentTo prepare the shuttered Pheasant Run Resort for potential redevelopment, property owners have proposed dividing the St. Charles campus into three separate parcels, one of which is already under contract to be purchased.
Business | Schaumburg's first pot dispensary opens near Woodfield MallSchaumburg's first marijuana dispensary opened with little fanfare Wednesday but the customers who visited Sunnyside were happy to learn it's ready for business.
Business | Loss of commuters means the end of Harry's Cafe at Naperville Metra stationA "Virtual Coffee Fund" wasn't enough to keep Harry's Cafe in business at the Naperville Metra station as the number of commuters has dropped during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Illinois | Aug. 5 COVID-19 cases per county; search by ZIP codeSince the outbreak began, there have been 91,345 cases in the suburbs as of Wednesday. That's 48.9% of the state's total, according to the Illinois Department of Public Health.
Crime | Police: Algonquin man tried to kill his ex-girlfriendAn Algonquin man is charged with attempted murder, accused of trying to strangle and shoot his ex-girlfriend.
Education | 'On nearly every measure, we are failing our African American students'The Illinois Board of Higher Education is preparing a strategic plan to make higher education in the state more equitable.
News | Longtime police officer from Wheeling remembered for 'grace and determination'Robert Michael LaMantia, a Wheeling resident whose long law enforcement career included 11 years as Lincolnwood's police chief, is being remembered as kind, caring and genuine.
Crime | Streamwood man charged in slaying of 10-year-old girl in ChicagoThe suspected driver of a car from which a 10-year-old girl was shot and killed as she watched TV in her grandmother's Chicago home has been charged with first-degree murder, police said Wednesday. Christopher Lara, 19, of Streamwood is also charged with nine felony counts of attempted first-degree murder in the June 27 killing of Lena Nunez, who was shot in the head in Logan Square, police said.
Crime | Police: 28 dead cats, 1 dead squirrel found in Waukegan woman's homeA 54-year-old Waukegan woman faces animal cruelty charges after authorities found 28 dead cats and one dead squirrel inside her home, police said in a news release Wednesday.
Crime | ComEd pleads not guilty in influence-peddling caseEnergy utility ComEd pleaded not guilty to bribery at an arraignment Wednesday despite previously admitting wrongdoing in an influence-peddling scheme that threatens to ensnare Illinois' most powerful Democrat, state House Speaker Michael Madigan.
- 2:00 AMClosed for vacation: France faces new virus testing troubles
- 1:40 AMBank of England holds off more stimulus, sees slow recovery
- 1:36 AMPolish LGBT people leaving as post-vote mood grows hostile
- 1:32 AMToyota's profit plunges as pandemic halves vehicle sales
- 1:30 AMKim directs aid to North Korean town under virus lockdown
More Suburban News Find your community
- BataviaBatavia middle, high schoolers to begin with all-remote learning
- EducationCary District 26 to start off school year remotely
- EducationRound Lake-area schools detail remote learning plans
- LisleLisle District 202 to open school year with 100% remote learning
- Mount ProspectMount Prospect to give recreational pot a second look
- EducationCrystal Lake-based District 155 votes unanimously to start off school year remotely
- NapervilleCarillon concert to honor longtime supporter's memory
- EducationFox River Grove District 3 adjusts back-to-school plans, prepares for remote learning
- WheelingShirley Ryan AbilityLab opens clinic in Arlington Heights
- Hoffman EstatesHoffman Estates man gets 7 years for sexual assaulting woman he met on social media
- NewsBudget plan approved for Mundelein High
- Kane CountyKane County's first trial called 'better than expected'; jurors felt safe
- 12:15 PMAurora Methodists drive-in worship to explore the book of Revelations
- 12:04 PMNew Hope Baptist Church reopens West Suburban Community Pantry mobile site
- 11:49 AMAurora Adventists answer prayers of Oswego congregation
- 10:47 AMSaint Viator welcomes new alumni relations manager
- 8:23 AMYouth Baseball Volunteer Receives Park Award
- 7:05 PMSpringbrook and Naperbrook golf courses to host fall tournaments
- 6:41 PMAurora's First Fridays returns Aug. 7
- 12:23 PMMiss live concerts? Watch them from your car at Boomers Stadium
Inside Daily Herald