News | Possible Plan B for Itasca hotel that Haymarket wants: Another interested buyer
Haymarket Center's bid to convert an Itasca hotel into a drug and alcohol treatment center took a twist this week when a resident said he would be willing to acquire the property if the Chicago-based nonprofit group doesn't buy it.
Columns | Have gun, won't travel. So why is the TSA finding so many at security checks?Everybody knows you can't bring a gun aboard a commercial flight. So why did the Transportation Security Administration find a record 4,432 firearms -- 87% of them loaded -- when they searched passengers' carry-on bags last year?
Lake County | A freight train blocked traffic for 7 hours. Grayslake leaders call it a 'significant problem.'A freight train that stalled in Grayslake early Thursday blocked vehicle traffic at two crossings with state highways for nearly seven hours, creating extensive and frustrating delays for drivers and first responders.
Crime | Former St. Viator coach indicted on charge of sexually abusing teenage girlFormer St. Viator High School coach indicted on charges he sexually abused a teenage girl.
Business | 'Definitely worth the wait' • 150 line up for Raising Cane's chicken in BataviaDespite falling snow and chilly, wet conditions, about 150 people waited in a line wrapping around the new Raising Cane's Chicken Fingers restaurant in Batavia for its grand opening Thursday.
News | Bloomingdale Township supervisor calls for highway chief's resignationBloomingdale Township Supervisor Michael Hovde Jr. is calling on the township's embattled highway commissioner, Robert Czernek, to resign after federal agents executed a search warrant Tuesday at Czernek's township offices as part of a federal and local probe into his financial dealings as highway commissioner and his relationship with "a handful" of vendors.
Crime | Round Lake boy recovering from severe burn at sleepoverA 13-year-old Round Lake boy received third-degree burns on his right foot at a sleepover in Round Lake Park where his parents say he was targeted in a prank inspired by online videos.
Crime | Carol Stream man guilty of preying sexually on disabled, under-age relativeA Carol Stream man was convicted Thursday of preying sexually on a disabled relative while she was a child.
News | Aurora soldier's remains arrive in Texas for burialSome praying, some crying and some holding American flags, dozens of community members gathered at the Brownsville-South Padre International Airport to witness the arrival of the remains of Army Spc. Miguel Angel Villalon on Thursday afternoon. Villalon, 21, an East Aurora High School graduate who spent part of his childhood in Texas, was killed in action Jan. 11 in Kandahar province, Afghanistan.
Columns | Feder: Former ABC 7 reporter Paul Meincke recovering from heart surgeryPaul Meincke, the legendary former Chicago television newsman, is on the mend in Los Angeles after undergoing emergency surgery for a torn aorta, Robert Feder writes.
Politics | Watch GOP candidates for U.S. Senate square off live on dailyherald.comVideo interviews of Republican primary candidates for the U.S. Senate seat now held by Dick Durbin will be livestreamed today on dailyherald.com and on the Daily Herald's Facebook page.
Music | Weekend at play: Husky Heroes at Morton Arboretum, Loverboy at the GeneseeHusky Heroes races into the Morton Arboretum in Lisle, more than 450 pianists of all ages perform during American Grands 25 in Elgin and Canadian rockers Loverboy headline Waukegan's Genesee Theatre.
Politics | Foster, Ventura lock horns over environmental issuesCentrist four-term lawmaker U.S. Rep. Bill Foster and progressive Democrat Rachel Ventura expressed different approaches to tackling global warming and climate change in an interview with the Daily Herald editorial board. The two are running in the 11th Congressional District Democratic primary.
- 7:30 AM2 elephants escape from circus in Russian city
- 7:25 AMStocks rise as virus in China not declared global emergency
- 7:22 AMChina building a hospital to treat virus, expands lockdowns
- 7:04 AMGreece: Government websites hit by cyberattack
- 7:03 AMNFL player Antonio Brown to appear before Florida judge
More Suburban News Find your community
- Elk Grove VillageThree prominent lawyers now involved in Elk Grove term limits case
- Oak Brook3 men steal $10,000 in iPhones from Oak Brook Apple Store
- BartlettMaintenance garage catches fire in Bartlett
- GurneeA Facebook post leads to suspect in Round Lake-area burglaries
- McHenry CountyVoters to decide whether to dissolve McHenry Twp. this year, Nunda Twp. in 2037
- Girls' BasketballRogers helps cinch Rupp's 100th win
- Boys' BasketballCraft hits for 33, eclipses 1,000 in Buffalo Grove's win over Wheeling
- Girls' BasketballSimeon edges Maine West
- Boys' BasketballStevenson graduate Smith keeps soaring at Indiana
- Prep SportsMundelein spoils Libertyville's Senior Night
- Prep WrestlingCary-Grove's hard work pays off vs. Jacobs
- Boys' BasketballStreamwood's big 2nd half trips up South Elgin
- 10:23 PMChange a child's story by volunteering with CASA Kane County
- 9:33 PMVote for the 'Best of Bloomingdale'
- 9:24 PMCeltic roots group Runa to perform Valentine's Day concert Feb. 14
- 9:07 PMLocal League of Women Voters presents 'The 2020 Census Counts and So Do You' Feb. 4
- 8:45 PMElmhurst Chamber to honor award winners at annual gala Jan. 31
- 8:35 PMElgin Area League of Women Voters to host four candidate forums in February
- 6:40 PMGlenbard Parent Series speaker to offer simple approach to reaching full potential
- 6:32 PMHoly Cross School teachers shake things up at McTeacher's Night
Inside Daily Herald