News | Sure it's cold, but how does today stack up historically?
The Chicago area is at its coldest in almost a year as temperatures dropped below zero throughout the region. It's not so unusual for late January, but where does it rank among the region's lowest temperature readings?
News | Round Lake man killed, his wife and 4 kids among 6 hurt in Round Lake Beach crash TuesdayAuthorities have identified the 41-year-old Round Lake man killed in a two-vehicle crash Tuesday night in Round Lake Beach. Epifanio Camarena died from multiple blunt force injuries sustained in the crash, preliminary autopsy results show. Six people, including Camarena's wife and their four children, also were injured in the crash.
Illinois | COVID-19 hospitalizations and cases are down, but blood donors neededCOVID-19 cases and hospitalizations continue their drop, but one unwelcome decrease is in blood donors. Hospitals are asking for the public's help because supplies are at a "minimum level."
News | Sister of Lombard man held by Taliban, to Biden: 'Bring my brother home before it is too late'It's been almost two years since Mark Frerichs was kidnapped by Afghan militants, becoming a hostage of the Taliban, and his family in Lombard still faces an agonizing wait.
News | One year later, cause of Des Plaines fire that killed mother, 4 daughters revealedA blaze that killed a Des Plaines woman and her four children one year ago was caused by two electrical cords that had been improperly altered and connected, a local fire official said Wednesday, one day before the anniversary of the deadly blaze.
Commercial Real Estate | Bev's pop-up restaurant opens in Naperville, ahead of major renovation at Jimmy's Grill siteBev's -- a pop-up restaurant in downtown Naperville -- recently opened at the corner spot held for decades by Jimmy's Grill. The restaurant will hold down the corner for until a renovation paves the way for a restaurant named Cali's.
Crime | Elgin detective testifies he discovered reddish stains at Peck home after son called 911An Elgin detective testified on Wednesday he saw reddish stains on the carpet in Gail Peck's bedroom when he arrived at her Elgin townhouse on Oct. 27, 2017, in response to Brian Peck's 911 call reporting his mother missing.
Crime | No charges yet in Rolling Meadows bar shooting as police release new detailsRolling Meadows police said Wednesday the three men involved in a fight and shooting inside a local sports bar late Monday didn't know each other, and what led one of them to shoot at the other two isn't yet known.
News | Odeum Expo Center in Villa Park sold, will close May 31The Odeum Expo Center in Villa Park will close at the end of May. The Elmhurst-based Greco family sold the property to a company associated with Elk Grove Village-based trucking and warehouse business Arrow Trans Corp, which plans to relocate to the 12.9-acre site.
Columns | Feder: Lite FM sets ratings record with Christmas musicMore than 2.5 million listeners in the Chicago area tuned to WLIT 93.9-FM in the final weeks of 2021 as the iHeartMedia adult contemporary station culminated its 21st consecutive year as "The Holiday Lite."
Politics | Irvin gets backing from GOP establishment for gubernatorial runAurora Mayor Richard Irvin's campaign to be the Republican nominee for governor received a boost in cash and support from GOP establishment types.
Columns | Jim O'Donnell: Lesson No. 1 for Ryan Poles -- always stay ahead of the posse at Halas HallJim O'Donnell: A few helpful hints for new Bears general manager Ryan Poles.
- 8:52 AMJapan's Mitsubishi, energy body join Gates' nuclear project
- 8:46 AMUS economy grew 5.7% in 2021 in rebound from 2020 recession
- 8:35 AMIran state TV shows dissidents' images after apparent hack
- 8:21 AM21 charged with trafficking drugs in northern Minnesota
- 8:20 AMSouthwest, profitable again in Q4, expects slow 2022 start
More Suburban News Find your community
- BloomingdaleNew plan for Stratford Square area expected to be unveiled in March
- Prospect HeightsThere were no injuries from an attic fire Wednesday night in Prospect Heights.
- Mount ProspectPalatine man charged in Mt. Prospect burglary
- Mount ProspectMount Prospect places Community Engagement Committee on pause
- St. CharlesNo injuries in downtown St. Charles fire
- Pingree GroveNo injuries reported in Pingree Grove warehouse fire
- SchaumburgSchaumburg changing aviation services provider at airport for first time
- GrayslakeRound Lake-area driver charged in crash that killed Grayslake man
- Boys' BasketballLakes' winning ways in NLCC continue
- Boys' BasketballMaine South's Lavorato joins his Dad in 400-win club
- Girls' BasketballOswego East drops West Aurora into tie for 1st
- Girls' BasketballProspect wins thriller on Reizer's buzzer-beater
- 7:12 PMLiteracy Volunteers Fox Valley needs volunteers
- 5:53 PMAuthor Lythcott-Haims returns to Glenbard Parent Series on Feb. 8
- 1:31 PMAurora STEAM Academy expands, launches new courses next week
- 1:15 PMElgin's St. John's Lutheran to install new pastor Feb. 5
- 12:58 PMHealth for Humanity Yogathon(Surya Namaskar Yajna) events by Hindu Swayamsevak Sangh in Chicago
- 12:35 PM'People of the Prairie: 12,000 Years in DuPage County' opening at Elmhurst History Museum
- 12:35 PMArt Series to feature Judson University Choir Jan. 30 at Lombard's St. John's Church
- 12:18 PMPalatine scholarship recipients awarded marketing internships
Inside Daily Herald