Crime | Death toll reaches 7, as police continue to seek motive for Highland Park parade shooting
Another person shot when a rooftop gunman opened fire on spectators at an Independence Day parade in downtown Highland Park has died, bringing the death toll from the mass shooting to seven, along with 30 others who suffered gunshot wounds in the hail of 70 bullets.
News | 'We'll mourn together and we'll offer support together': Highland park responds to shootingPlaces to find or give help in the aftermath of the Highland Park shooting.
News | 'Jacki's work, kindness and warmth touched us all': Member of Glencoe synagogue among victimsA longtime staff member at a Glencoe synagogue was among the people slain by a gunman during the Independence Day parade in Highland Park.
Crime | 'It's terrible, so terrible': What bystanders saw and heard during Highland Park July 4 shootingWhen the shooting began at the Fourth of July parade in downtown Highland Park, it appeared to come from an automatic weapon being fired from the top of an apartment building on Second Street, witnesses said. Then people started running, and looking for loved ones. And some saw a terrible carnage afterward.
Crime | Giuliani, Graham testimony sought in Trump election probeThe Georgia prosecutor investigating the conduct of former President Donald Trump and his allies after the 2020 election is trying to compel U.S. Sen. Lindsey Graham, former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani, and other members of Trump's campaign legal team to testify before a special grand jury.
Crime | Visiting grandfather identified as one victim of Highland Park shootingHighland Park shooting victim Nicolas Toledo had spent most of his life in Morelos, Mexico, and had come to Illinois to visit his family about two months ago.
News | School community devastated by CPS teacher, family members injured in Highland Park shootingSchool shootings have become an ever-present fear and teachers receiving extensive training in how to respond to mass shootings, but Chicago Public Schools teacher Zoe Kolpack was watching the Highland Park parade with her husband, their two young children and other relatives when this mass shooting began Monday.
News | Stifling humidity expected today with damaging thunderstorms forecast laterIntense humidity will drive today's heat index above 100 degrees in most suburbs then followed by strong thunderstorms the could produce flash floods in some areas.
Kane County | Man killed, woman injured in ATV crash in Kane CountyA Huntley man was killed Monday in an ATV crash in Kane County.
News | Lombard fire officials believe lightning caused blaze that killed family's catA Lombard family's cat perished in a house fire early Tuesday that officials believe was started by a lightning strike.
News | Early morning Crystal Lake house fire causes $225,000 in damageAn early morning house fire in Crystal Lake today displaces residents and caused an estimated $225,000 in damage.
Editorial | Daily Herald opinion: Maybe bad ideas must be considered to protect the strength of our unionDaily Herald opinion: With the U.S. Supreme Court showing a willingness to free state legislatures from oversight by their supreme courts in setting eleciton policy, ideas like disrupting the filibuster or, especially, expanding the nation's highest court gain an urgency they would not have in normal times.
Kane County | Aurora hero who saved man from oncoming train awarded the Carnegie MedalLewis Medina of Aurora is one of 16 people in the most recent batch of honorees that will be presented the prestigious Carnegie Medal, awarded to individuals throughought the United States and Canada who risk their lives to an extraordinary degree saving or attempting to save the lives of others.
- 3:54 PMUS indexes shake off an early slump and eke out gains
- 3:53 PMHighland Park set tight gun limits long before parade attack
- 3:41 PMCalifornia forest fire temporarily strands July 4th revelers
- 3:40 PMJudge throws out Trump-era rollbacks on endangered species
- 3:37 PMSmithfield Foods settles pork price-fixing lawsuit for $42M
More Suburban News Find your community
- Kane CountyDefeated Kane County Board incumbent Shepro blasts opponent, vows to run again in 2024
- Lake ZurichDrive-through recycling event Saturday in Lake Zurich
- Des PlainesCasino patron arrested after struggling with police
- BartlettBartlett community turns out for Sunday afternoon Fourth of July parade
- RosemontFan Expo convention brings 'Lord of the Rings' reunion to Rosemont
- SportsWilliams, Terek pick Notre Dame, Wisconsin, respectively
- MLBCary-Grove alum Priester working toward MLB debut
- ElginElgin woman turns tragedy into mission to promote mental wellness -- with goats
- ElginThree suffer minor injuries in Elgin fire
- AlgonquinMotorcyclists in serious condition after crashing on Route 31 in Algonquin
- NewsThe Week That Was: Bailey takes suburbs plus GOP nomination; referendums in Dists. 25, 121
- StreamwoodStreamwood man dies after two-vehicle crash near La Grange Tuesday
- 2:57 PMLove Story Bridal holds grand opening in Huntley
- 12:23 PMKane County Recycling Extravaganza returns July 9
- 12:01 PMWest Chicago Railroad Days returns with parade, music, and fireworks
- 10:07 AMChampions Run to aid schools' wrestling programs
- 10:00 AMFriendship Village, Boomers form perfect partnership
- 9:45 AMWoodlands Academy launches new summer camp option for girls
- 9:45 AMTrips to employers help spark interest in apprenticeships
- 9:16 AMBarrington's Catchpenny Resale Shoppe Turns 50 in July!
Inside Daily Herald