Columns | Constable: 43 years after Flight 191 horror, siblings unite with book
As they do on every anniversary of the Flight 191 crash that killed their parents, the children of Bill and Corrinne "Nudy" Borchers vist the memorial in Des Plaines. This year, they have a new book they wrote together about their journey since that tragedy on May 25, 1979.
Education | Suburban schools work to reassure students, parents in wake of Texas shootingAfter the killing of 19 students and two teachers Tuesday at an elementary school in Uvalde, Texas, suburban school leaders moved quickly Wednesday to reassure students and parents and review safety policies.
Columns | What I learned from active shooter training (and my own experience)Having written stories about situations involving mass shootings, Madhu Krishnamurthy often wondered how she would react under such circumstances. Here are some tips from a law enforcement expert on what you can do to better protect yourself.
Commercial Real Estate | Hawthorn 2.0 developer seeks bigger Phase 2, with apartments, stores, restaurants at old Carson'sEven as luxury apartments and an open-air Main Street-style retail center called Hawthorn Row emerge as the initial piece of the $252 million Hawthorn 2.0 plan, approvals are being sought for a second phase that's bigger and better than first proposed, with a mixed-use development centered on the site of the former Carson's store.
News | After months on the loose, Tyson the bison safely capturedThe long journey of a bison that has been roaming western Lake County since fall ended Wednesday morning as she was safely captured.
News | Oklahoma governor signs the nation's strictest abortion banOklahoma is the first state to effectively end availability of the procedure.
News | Mayor 'distressed' by Aurora Pride organizers' decision to ban uniformed police from participatingAurora Mayor Richard Irvin is criticizing the Aurora Pride parade organizers' decision to ban uniformed police officers from participating in this year's parade.
Business | Chicago City Council signs off on Bally's casino planLess than three weeks after Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot put her chips on Bally's $1.7 billion River West bid, the city council authorized Bally's to build a permanent casino at Chicago Avenue and the Chicago River and open a temporary casino at Medinah Temple in River North.
Lake County | Babysitter accused of showing children porn, touching himselfA babysitter was arrested after police learned he touched himself inappropriately in front of children in his home near Lake Villa, authorities said.
Commercial Real Estate | Dallas company announces summer reopening of short-lived Wheeling movie theaterA Dallas-based entertainment company on Wednesday announced its plans to reopen a seven-screen movie theater in Wheeling's Town Center that had enjoyed barely a month of normal operations before COVID-19 shutdowns forced it to close in March 2020.
Entertainment | Brookfield Zoo welcomes its first tapir calf in nearly 30 yearsA South American tapir calf born at Brookfield Zoo is ready to meet the public for the first time Thursday.
Crime | Child molester sentenced to 17 yearsA man from New York has been sentenced to 17 years in prison for sexually assaulting an Aurora child in 2018.
- 1:04 AMAsian stocks lower after Fed confirms rate hike plans
- 12:29 AMNearly 6 years later, man indicted in mother's death at sea
- 11:52 PMDispute over mosque becomes religious flashpoint in India
- 11:26 PMStates divided on gun controls, even as mass shootings rise
- 11:22 PMWatch interview with Cook County Board 9th District Republican candidates
More Suburban News Find your community
- Round LakeHouse fire near Round Lake sends one to hospital
- AuroraAurora man who threw lit firework at police officers gets year in prison
- Downers GroveDowners Grove man charged with hacking suburban health care provider
- North AuroraNorth Aurora warns residents about scams targeting eldery
- McHenry CountyMcHenry County schools increasingly look to international teachers to solve bilingual staffing shortages
- AddisonMemorial Day ceremony and march in Addison
- Elk Grove VillageShopping center with old Elk Grove Bowl gets its tax boost for redevelopment
- SchaumburgOutback Steakhouse will relocate to former Panera Bread site near Woodfield Mall
- AuroraIrvin recounts how he stole a tire as a teen, says young people need 'to be constantly engaged'
- West ChicagoPartnering to meet community needs: We Go Together for Kids steps up to help with food, more
- CrimeElmhurst police still searching for car thief after issuing shelter in place order
- News5 injured, 36 units left uninhabitable after Park Ridge condo fire
- 8:49 PMRockin' Docs: Central DuPage Hospital physicians perform concert for staff
- 7:30 PMJoin Rosary Sports Boosters for golf outing June 24
- 12:11 PMHarper College graduates sacrifice to create better future for their children
- 11:43 AMTickets to go on sale for 16th annual Downers Grove Garden Walk
- 11:33 AMThree stages of live music at DuPage Community Arts Festival May 28
- 11:03 AMNew certificate help theatre workforce needs
- 10:48 AMMundelein-Vernon Hills Rotary Club awards $20,000 in scholarships
- 10:48 AMDr. Anthony Markiewicz wins Mundelein Gold Star award.
Warren, Lake Zurich, York, Palatine, Naperville Central, Naperville North and Maine Twp. D207 graduation ceremonies
Inside Daily Herald