Transportation | Flight 232 survivor from Schaumburg: After plane crash, 'some things aren't important anymore'
For the past 30 years, Jeff Miller has been sharing a perspective on life's priorities that only seems to come naturally when "that fine line between being here and not being here" has been made agonizingly clear.
Business | Neither heat, rain, cold or drought can stop local sweet corn cropThe record rains and cold caused so many delays, some feared that this would be the year of no sweet corn. But the folks at Wiltse's Farm Produce in Maple Park found some ways to have the summer treat available starting this weekend.
Lake County | Police: Son attacked father with garden shears, faces attempted murder chargesA 21-year-old Beach Park man is being charged with attempted murder after he attacked his 70-year-old father with garden shears, the Lake County sheriff's office said in a news release.
Transportation | IDOT might delay Route 22 closure after concerns about hospital accessClosing Route 22 for repairs will reduce access to Advocate Good Shepherd Hospital, some fear, and IDOT might delay the project.
Music | 5 things to do this weekend in the suburbsCrooner Michael Bublé headlines Rosemont's Allstate Arena Saturday, The Tedeschi Trucks Band brings its Wheels of Soul Tour to Aurora's RiverEdge Park Sunday and the Kane County Fair continues all weekend. These are just a few of the many fun weekend events that await.
News | 'I definitely know I'm in for a wild ride': Why father is getting on bronco for first time at rodeoAn Arlington Heights real estate professional, Justin Burau, will try to ride a bucking bronco for the first time at the DuPage County Fair in Wheaton. Burau is accepting the challenge to raise money for the American Brain Tumor Association.
Crime | Police seize 1,900 counterfeit items at Buffalo Grove store; owner chargedA woman has been charged with selling counterfeit luxury goods at her Buffalo Grove store after police seized more than 1,900 items, according to a Buffalo Grove police department news release.
Politics | Suburban Republicans object to Sterigenics settlementA group of suburban Republican lawmakers is calling on state and local officials to reverse course on a consent order that would allow a sterilization company linked to increased cancer rates to reopen its Willowbrook plant.
Politics | After distancing himself from hostile chant, Trump calls rally supporters 'incredible patriots'In morning tweets, the president said reporters should be more focused on the "vile and disgusting" statements by minority congresswomen he had repeatedly attacked.
Business | City Works opening in Wheeling in AugustChicago-based Bottleneck Management will open a new City Works resturant at 365 W. Dundee Road in Wheeling on Aug. 19.
News | Your baby's diaper could be connected to the Internet soonPampers is the latest company to jump into trendy, wearable devices with a new "connected care system" called Lumi that tracks babies' activity through a sensor that attaches to diapers. The sensor sends an alert to an app notification when a diaper is wet. It also sends information on the baby's sleep and wake times and allows parents to manually track additional info, like dirty diapers and feeding times. A video monitor is included with the system and is integrated into the app. Pampers didn't say how much the system, which is launching in the U.S. this fall, will cost.
Columns | DuPage jail's welding program yields first inmates graduating with 'hope and purpose'When does a sheriff hug jail detainees? When he's proud of the first graduates of a new job-training program at the DuPage County jail. "You guys are at the beginning part of greater things to come," Mendrick told the grads.
Movies | 25 years later, 'The Lion King' roars again (with Beyoncé)"The Lion King" is three years in the making with some of the biggest names in entertainment, including Beyoncé and Jon Favreau as the director, and the expectations couldn't be higher. It helps, of course, that the material is familiar to most of the world already.
- 1:36 PMIran, US clash over claim that U.S. downed Iranian drone
- 1:28 PMUS to send asylum seekers back to dangerous part of Mexico
- 1:22 PMReport urges new board, funding model for US Olympic system
- 1:21 PMThe Latest: Iran says it has seized British oil tanker
- 1:05 PMEx-NSA contractor sentenced to 9 years for stolen documents
More Suburban News Find your community
- EducationDistrict 211 approves $17,900 contract for superintendent search
- Campton HillsCampton Township, preservationists pleased that historic schoolhouse will stay put
- Mount Prospect2 Chicago men charged in Mt. Prospect burglary
- Glendale HeightsGlendale Heights woman charged in elaborate identify theft scheme
- St. CharlesKane County Fair continues steamy run through Sunday
- ElginResidents decry letter from Elgin Twp. as endorsement of vendor
- Buffalo GroveBuffalo Grove approves change in Link Crossing agreement
- Lake CountySex assault and child porn suspect indicted
- NapervilleNaperville wants your input on intersection plan
- Addison3 DuPage Democrats want county to permit recreational cannabis sales
- St. CharlesSt. Charles family business among those helping NASA reach the stars
- CarpentersvilleElgin veteran honors military, first responders with flag displays
- 1:31 PMEnjoy Storytime at Glen Ellyn neighborhood parks
- 10:52 AMJuly 22-25: Explore a new career at CLC Days
- 10:52 AMJuly 23: CLC to host author, Professor Hall Gardner for presentation on building world peace
- 10:52 AMWeber, Local Reps to Host Property Tax Seminar
- 7:34 AMThank you for helping our veterans
- 7:27 AMLocal golfers raise more than $110,000 for cancer research
- 10:39 PMKane County Board honors 25 county employees for 20 years of service
- 9:28 PMGreen Screen Film Series to show 'The Guide: A Biologist in Gorongosa' July 22
Inside Daily Herald