CLC is planning Make a Difference Day projects
About 200 volunteers from the College of Lake County, along with volunteers from United Way of Lake County, will join millions of others nationwide for service projects Saturday, Oct. 26, Make A Difference Day, "The National Day of Doing Good."
Make A Difference Day has become the largest community service effort in the nation, rallying corporations, government leaders, charitable organizations and everyday Americans into action on one day.
Past events have attracted 3 million volunteers, and an estimated 28 million people in need have benefited.
The CLC Student United Way/Volunteer Club, in conjunction with Career and Placement Services, is sponsoring Make A Difference Day events at CLC. Students from the club delegated duties to recruit volunteers, confirm site participation, organize food and collect donations.
New this year is a children's book drive, with books donated to The Book Bridge and Bernie's Book Bank. Volunteers are encouraged to bring gently-used or new children's books to the event.
Sylvia Johnson, executive director of Career and Placement Services, said CLC volunteers have participated in this worthwhile event for more than 15 years.
"It's a day when folks who have the same passion and interests get together to give back to their community, impacting many lives in the process," Johnson said.
"Our volunteers will assist with sorting and packaging books, sorting food, providing educational materials and much more. This is a day when folks carve out a time in their schedules to lend an extra pair of hands to make a difference."
CLC volunteers include staff, students and faculty who will take on a variety of tasks. United Way of Lake County volunteers will also be present to help lead volunteers at various sites.
A kickoff breakfast is from 9-10 a.m. in the Learning Resource Center/Library Atrium on the Grayslake campus, 19351 W. Washington St.
Volunteers are needed for a variety of work to be done at the following nine sites from 10 a.m. to noon Oct. 26. Work sites and activities for volunteers include:
• Avon Township Food Pantry: organize and stock shelves with food.
• CLC Children's Learning Center: clean toys and playground.
• CLC Community Garden: clean garden and winterize planting beds.
• CLC Women's Center: design and create centerpieces and ornaments for the Women's Center fall and winter fundraisers.
• Lake County Forest Preserve (Grayslake): collect seeds from native plants to continue in the preservation process of natural beauty.
• The Book Bridge (Grayslake): clean and stain ramp for loading books.
• Bernie's Book Bank (Lake Forest): sort, sticker and package children's books.
• Northern Illinois Food Bank (Park City): package and sort food.
• Save-A-Pet (Grayslake): clean animal cages and toys.
To volunteer, visit maddclc13.eventbrite.com/. For more information, contact Carolyn Serdar at (847) 543-2058 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The national Make A Difference Day website is www.makeadifferenceday.com.