Communities » Vernon Hills Area News
Strong thunderstorms strike Chicago, suburbsStrong thunderstorms with damaging winds, heavy rain and potential flooding may continue to pass through the suburbs this evening.Last Updated Jul 24, 2016 11:17 PM
National Night Out in Vernon HillsUpdated Jul 24, 2016 5:03 PM
Vernon Hills police will host its 21st National Night Out from 4 to 8 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 2, at Hartmann Park, 292 Oakwood Road, south of Route 45.
Wadsworth man faces multiple drug chargesUpdated Jul 23, 2016 4:01 PM
A Wadsworth man described by authorities as a known street gang member has been charged with multiple drug offenses following a month-long investigation by Lake County and federal authorities.
Report of missing Gurnee man takes strange turnsUpdated Jul 23, 2016 1:58 PM
Lake County sheriff’s deputies spent 12 hours searching for a 46-year-old Gurnee man reported missing after an accident Friday night before finding him and taking him to the hospital for treatment of his injuries, the sheriff’s office said in a news release.
Vernon Hills wants sturdier wire for fencingUpdated Jul 22, 2016 6:37 PM
Rules regarding permitted materials for residential fencing in Vernon Hills could change after observations by village officials.
Woman struck and killed by vehicle in GurneeUpdated Jul 22, 2016 5:26 PM
A 58-year-old Waukegan woman was struck and killed by a vehicle Friday morning as she was walking on a Gurnee sidewalk.
Green homes tour includes site in LibertyvilleUpdated Jul 22, 2016 5:01 PM
Fourteen sustainability built, energy-efficient “green” homes in Chicago and the suburbs will be featured from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, July 23, and Sunday, July 24 during the fourth annual GreenBuilt Home Tour.
Have a say in 2050 regional planUpdated Jul 22, 2016 4:24 PM
Public input is being accepted until Aug. 15 as the Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning develops its new ON TO 2050 comprehensive plan.
House of worship approved in Vernon HillsUpdated Jul 22, 2016 4:13 PM
A new place of worship in Vernon Hills has received informal approval from the village board. The board this past week agreed with recommendations of the planning and zoning commission to approve a special use permit, building plan and parking variation for Chabad of Vernon Hills.
- Short but crucial link in Lake County trail system complete
- Rudd’s re-election hopes hinge on Aug. 11 hearing
- Lake County health council seeks volunteers
- Lake coroner asks court to allow him back on ballot
- Skipping GOP convention, Dold ready for another battle with Schneider
- Federal mental health bill shifts focus to preventing tragedy
- Winning images of our weekly photo contest
- Abbott 2Q global sales beat Street estimates
Vernon Hills Calendar
Recently shared by others
- Indo-American Heritage Museum celebrates Hall of Fame opening with gala concert
- Join annual golf outing Aug. 22 supporting manufacturing
- Lake County Awarded $321,381 for Emergency Food and Shelter Programs
- 6th Annual Mundelein Arts Festiva Coming This Fall
- The 2016 “Wauk” for Awareness Takes Place Aug. 27 in Beach Park
- Give Back to the Community by Joining the Governing Council
- Five physicists to duke it out at Windy City Physics Slam Aug. 7
- Deadline nears for veteran appreciation awards
- Nominations due for Veteran Volunteer of the Year award
- CLC professors to cover ‘Star Trek’ collectibles in library presentation
- Adler Park Learning Center Director Erin Carr, center, spends her lunch time with third through fifth grade students in a special Read & Feed Book Club. Students sign up for the optional program, reading a book in their free time and then gathering at lunch to discuss it. Students, from left to right, are Maggie Vickers, Tyra Kuchler, Kayla Talerico, Kyle Otte and Andrew Clark. District 70
- Nearly 100 fourth-through-seventh-grade students from St. Malachy School in Chicago visited Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart in Lake Forest Feb. 7 for a day of events including an uplifting gospel liturgy, pizza lunch, talent show and a carnival. This celebration marked the latest chapter in a Black History Month tradition between the inner-city grade school and the North Shore high school dating back to 1996. Pictured here, students from both schools joined the combined choirs at the conclusion of the gospel liturgy to sing “We Shall Overcome” in honor of Pete Seeger, who passed away Jan. 27. Woodlands Academy
- Dr. Jerry Weber, president of the College of Lake County, gets a blue streak sprayed in his hair from Allison Brand, an elementary education major who volunteered at the 'Light it up Blue" Autism awareness event held April 2 at the college. College of Lake County
It’s countdown time for Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart’s 41st annual financial aid fundraiser, Congé. Modeling this year’s theme colors are (from left) Co-Chair Mary Oelerich of Chicago, Silent Auction Chair Alison Kohlmeyer of Lake Forest and Co-Chair Jean Olson of Evanston. The fundraising starts at 9 a.m. Friday, April 11, with online bidding at www.bidpal.net/Congé for a variety of exciting silent auction items such as four VIP tickets to a Los Angeles taping of Conan O’Brien’s TBS TV show, a Chicago Blackhawks hockey stick signed by members of the 2013-14 team and for wine enthusiasts, a 750ml bottle of Chateau Petrus Pomerol (2006). Online bids will be accepted up to and then as part of the silent auction that takes place during the Congé dinner event which begins with cocktails at 6 p.m. Saturday, April 26, at the Glen View Club, 100 Golf Road, Golf, IL. Silent auction bidding ends at 10 p.m.
For more information about Congé contact Woodlands Academy Associate Director of Advancement for Special Events Tami Rocha at 847-234-4300, ext. 226 or visit www.woodlandsacademy.org Woodlands Academy
- Culver's of Buffalo Grove owner Kevin Weasler (foreground) and several of his True Blue Team Members take part in CPR training March 4 as the restaurant on Route 83 has become one of the first in the area to be equipped with a live saving Automatic External Defibrillator (AED) unit. “We believe it’s important to have the unit in our store and for our team to be confortable and knowledgeable in administering CPR if the need ever arises,” said Weasler. Culver's of Buffalo Grove
- Deerfield accounting firm Kessler Orlean Silver is serving as a local drop off location for the Vernon Hills-based Sports Shed, a non-profit organization which has distributed more than 5,000 pieces of sports equipment to organizations that provide sports programs for kids in need all over the Chicago area. Donations can be delivered to KOS at 1101 Lake Cook Road, Suite C, Deerfield. Pictured are, from left, KOS managing partner Jeff Arnol of Deerfield; Sports Shed founder Tina Sernett of Vernon Hills; KOS partner Ben Darcy of Buffalo Grove; and manager Diana Angulo of Harwood Heights. Dave Silbar
- Original fine art arrives at the Adler Center in advance of the May 16th A-List Speakeasy and Silent Art Auction Benefit. For tickets visit www.adlercenter.org/index.php/attend/gala/ Provided by the David Adler Music and Arts Center
- Connie Kowal, Libertyville Sports Complex, samples Fine's Famous Hot Dog at the new eatery, 147 N. Milwaukee Ave., Libertyville. Come enjoy oh-so Fine food and events at Fine's Grand Opening weekend, May 10-12. Carol Levin, GLMV Chamber of Commerce
- Gardeners of Central Lake County host a free garden walk on June 29. One of the lovely gardens featured on the self guided walk. Gardeners of Central Lake County
- (l-r) Jill Silbar of Vernon Hills is joined by daughters Emma and Maddy as they receive manicures from Midtown Athletic Club nail technician Agnes Wielogorski. Gearing up for Mothers Day, The Spa at Midtown Bannockburn is inviting all moms and daughters to a special day of massages, manicures, pedicures, make up and more, on Thursday, May 9, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Cost is just $30 per person and includes two luxurious spa treatments each. To schedule an appointment, contact The Spa at (847) 945-1818 or email firstname.lastname@example.org . Courtesy of Midtown Athletic Club
The 7th and 8th grade Highland Middle School Pom Pon Squad finished third recently at the Lakeside Conference competition.
Congratulations to the team members - Sasha Blake, Mikaila Corrigan, Sydney Donovan, Allison Friello, Nicole Haderlein, Madison Hartwig, Veronica Houle, Bailey Latka, Paula Magnuszewski, Jillian Ness, Hannah Schuler, Kylie Skie (not pictured), Anna Yachnin. The squad is coached by teacher Breehan Davidson.
Here the squad is caught during a practice.
Well done Hornets! Libertyville Elementary District 70
Liquid Fusion Cafe Lincolnshire Grand Opening
Pictured is the barrista counter of the anticipated grand opening of Liquid Fusion Cafe, 275 Parkway Drive, Suite 315 in Lincolnshire, will officially take place on Sept. 23 at 1 p.m. Johan Lee
- Advocate Condell Medical Center nurse Ginna Allen, right, from Vernon Hills, along with fellow nurses Lilli Woo and Sarah Wild, enjoy complimentary sundaes provided last week as part of National Nurses Week by Culver's Restaurants in Libertyville, Mundelein and Grayslake. Joe White
- Hop into a bath tub to demonstrate its roominess and show off its features, for example. The grand opening of RKB Showroom in Mundelein was the setting when Ferguson company (Addison) outside sales rep Dick Graff took the plunge, albeit without the required water supply to benefit from the whirlpool bath tub with its Aerofeel Airpool System technology. The Maxx Living 7242 air/jet, back jet combo bath tub is among the upscale, trendy kitchen and bath products featured in new display rooms during the grand opening through Friday at RKB Showroom, 216 Terrace Dr., Mundelein. "We carry today's leading kitchen and bath brands, feature them in our private setting, and give our customers the kind of personal attention they desire," said Barry Schuster, owner of RKB Showroom and resident of Vernon Hills. For more information please visit www.RKBsite.com, or call (847) 970-6880. Barry Sigale
- Libertyville Mayor Terry Weppler drops by the Com Ed booth at the recent GLMV Chamber of Commerce Spring Block Party Consumer EXPO at the Libertyville Sports Complex. Carol Levin, GLMV Chamber of Commerce
- A visitor at the recent GLMV Spring Extreme Block Party at the Libertyville Sports Complex, checks out the Steinhafels Furniture display. Steinhafels, an event sponsor, also provided the Grand Prize Raffle, a $500 Gift Certificate to the Vernon-Hills based furniture retailer. Carol Levin, GLMV Chamber of Commerce
New species of ducks on Big Bear Lake in Vernon Hills. Danuta Wojtowicz
- Student artwork from all five schools in Libertyville Elementary School District 70 is on display at the Educational Resource Office across from Butterfield School. The art gallery is set up to rotate work with an art gallery at Advocate Condell Medical Center, which is temporarily closed due to a remodeling project. The artwork displays the variety of student creativeness, as well as the talent of the D70 teaching staff. Libertyville Elementary District 70
"Team Building Day at Camp Duncan"
As a hearing itinerant teacher, our students are often the only ones in their school district with a hearing loss. I'm very passionate about creating events for students to come together for a day of team-building and fun! There is an instant bond among the students that that is indescribable and incredibly fulfilling as a teacher. Over 50 students and staff attended made this a memorable event and can't to start planning the next event! Tracy Aleckson
- Midtown Athletic Club's Kiley Rabjohns of Lake Forest is all smiles after her recent USTA Girls 14 and under tournament title. Shown here with Midtown Junior Tennis Director Cory Grove, the tournament was held at Midtown the weekend of March 1. Jon Schaff
- William Schart of the Libertyville Little League 8A Cubs, sponsored by Wepler Law Offices, struck out three in two scoreless innings against the 8A Giants at Butler Park on Monday, 5/15/13. (Other players present are not distinguishable.) Lance A Schart
- Vernon Hills High School students' shoe designs for the Custom Culture competition. Design by (left to right): Ann Ho, Kathleen McLoughlin, Tiffany Do, and Olivia Weaver. Vote for their designs at http://www.vans.com/customculture/vote/top50/ Allison Molloy
- M. Curtis Whittington, a veteran waiting for a heart transplant, drove away in a recycled car Feb. 12 after being nominated by Tim Heiney, a case manager with Lake-McHenry Veterans and Family Services (LMVFS). The car was presented to the Whittington family at the 4th Annual Gifting of a Recycled Ride by CARSTAR Mundelein and their sponsors Esurance, 1-800-Charity Cars, Cottman Transmissions & Total Auto Care, Jack Phelan Dodge, MOPAR, Recycled Rides, Stafford’s, Keystone/LKQ, Atlas Car Wash, NABC, AutoZone, NTB, and St. Vincent de Paul. A reception was held for the gifting where local businesses and restaurants donated food and services. This is the second LMVFS client who has received a car through this annual program. The Lake-McHenry Veterans and Family Services program works through a network of agencies to help military personnel, veterans and their families face challenges, before, during and after their service to this country without eligibility restrictions. LMVFS is also a member of Illinois Joining Forces, an initiative formed to insure community level, military-culture sensitive support and services statewide. LMVFS is located at the Lake County Health Department, 121 E. Grand Avenue in Lake Villa, and has additional offices in Waukegan and McHenry. For more information, call: (847) 377-VET6 (8386). Lake County Health Department
- Spring has sprung at the Prairie Crossing Learning Farm in Grayslake. Seedlings are growing in the greenhouse in preparation for the May 18 Farm Connections Plant Sale. Erin Cummisford
- Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart Debate Team members Elena Gutierrez of Waukegan (left) and Arminda Downey-Mavromatis of Gurnee, both sophomores, finished the season by receiving awards at the Illinois Communication and Theatre Association (ICTA) State Tournament held March 15 at Belvidere North High School in Belvidere, Ill. Gutierrez was the top seed (out of a field of 41) in the playoff rounds after achieving an 8-1 record in the preliminary rounds. She ended the tournament as a quarterfinalist. Downey-Mavromatis earned the 6th place speaker award. Kyle Schmitt, coach of the Lake Forest school’s newly revived Debate Team, is proud of its achievements this year. “We are liked and respected newcomers in the northern Illinois debate circuit,” he said following the state meet. Woodlands Academy
More Vernon Hills News
- Vernon Hills Sports
- Public meeting on Patriot Path bike trail
- Vernon Hills Business
- Vernon Hills wants sturdier wire for fencing
- Green homes tour includes site in Libertyville
- Abbott 2Q global sales beat Street estimates
- Baxter gives $100,000 to help families in crisis
- Popular Claim Company brings gold mine of a menu to Vernon Hills
- Vernon Hills Entertainment
- Gospelfest at Greenbelt
- House of worship approved in Vernon Hills
- Learn to BBQ at Aspen Drive Library
- Pet microchipping Saturday in North Chicago
- Pet microchip giveaway in Lake County
- Vernon Hills Summer Celebration wraps Sunday with music, car show
- Baxter gives $100,000 to help families in crisis
- Summer Celebration starts in Vernon Hills
Points of Interest
- Toggle map points:
- Community Colleges
- Adlai E. Stevenson High School
- 1 Stevenson Dr.
Lincolnshire, Il 60069
- Forest Green/Gold
- Vernon Hills High School
- 145 N. Lakeview Parkway
Vernon Hills, Il 60061
- Royal Blue/Silver
Daily Herald Communities
- People Planning with Pride
- 42.231123, -87.969053
- Lake County