Communities » Riverwoods Area News
Church volunteer gets 10 years in prison for sexually assaulting childA Round Lake church volunteer was sentenced to 10 years in prison for sexually assaulting a child aged 13 to 17, authorities said.Last Updated Apr 28, 2016 1:06 PM
Get rid of unwanted drugs SaturdayUpdated Apr 27, 2016 5:10 PM
Activist groups are teaming with suburban police departments to collect unwanted prescription and over-the-counter drugs Saturday.
Mother of Antioch man killed in motorcycle crash files lawsuit against suspect, 2 tavernsUpdated Apr 27, 2016 4:28 PM
The mother of an Antioch man killed in a 2015 DUI-related crash has filed a lawsuit against the woman charged in the case and two taverns.
Judge needs more time to decide on new trial in day care deathUpdated Apr 26, 2016 5:44 PM
A Lake County judge delayed a decision on whether to grant a new trial for Melissa Calusinski convicted of killing a toddler at a now-closed day care center.
Lake County ballot lottery will be held ThursdayUpdated Apr 25, 2016 4:26 PM
A lottery to determine the order of political parties listed on November’s ballot is set for 11 a.m. Thursday, April 28, in the lobby of the Lake County Courthouse and Administrative Complex, 18 N. County St., Waukegan.
Lake County associate judge finalists namedUpdated Apr 25, 2016 4:24 PM
The circuit judges of the Nineteenth Judicial Circuit have named Gurnee attorney Paul B. Novak and Stacey L. Seneczko of Libertyville as finalists for a second associate judge vacancy created by the Illinois Supreme Court appointment of Christen L. Bishop.
Why court security costs in DuPage are double that of its neighborsUpdated Apr 24, 2016 6:29 PM
DuPage County spends roughly double the money to provide courthouse security as four other collar counties, mainly because of its exclusive use of full-time sheriff’s deputies.
Former Lake County juvenile counselor pleads guilty to official misconductUpdated Apr 22, 2016 8:31 PM
A former Lake County juvenile counselor pleaded guilty to official misconduct in Lake County court.
Attorney named to Lake County benchUpdated Apr 22, 2016 4:59 PM
Attorney Janelle K. Christensen has been appointed an associate Lake County Circuit Court judge, officials announced Friday.
- Household chemical waste collection
Recently shared by others
- Earth Day: 5 ways to be energy efficient from your couch
- Discover How To Sell Across The Generations - 4/27
- Woodlands Academy musicians earn Gold awards in contest
- CEL’s Chefs’ Night is a foodies delight
- Women’s Residential Services celebrates 30th anniversary
- Hinsdale Hospital Seminar
- Free Workshop Planned for Parents Wanting to Understand Natural and Healthy Sexual Behaviors in Children
- Trinity welcomes new members of Kappa Delta Pi
- Woodlands Academy’s Congé fundraiser is April 30
- WINGS Group Marks Three Decades of Encouraging Lake County Women in Leadership
- Nearly 100 fourth-through-seventh-grade students from St. Malachy School in Chicago visited Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart in Lake Forest Feb. 7 for a day of events including an uplifting gospel liturgy, pizza lunch, talent show and a carnival. This celebration marked the latest chapter in a Black History Month tradition between the inner-city grade school and the North Shore high school dating back to 1996. Pictured here, students from both schools joined the combined choirs at the conclusion of the gospel liturgy to sing “We Shall Overcome” in honor of Pete Seeger, who passed away Jan. 27. Woodlands Academy
It’s countdown time for Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart’s 41st annual financial aid fundraiser, Congé. Modeling this year’s theme colors are (from left) Co-Chair Mary Oelerich of Chicago, Silent Auction Chair Alison Kohlmeyer of Lake Forest and Co-Chair Jean Olson of Evanston. The fundraising starts at 9 a.m. Friday, April 11, with online bidding at www.bidpal.net/Congé for a variety of exciting silent auction items such as four VIP tickets to a Los Angeles taping of Conan O’Brien’s TBS TV show, a Chicago Blackhawks hockey stick signed by members of the 2013-14 team and for wine enthusiasts, a 750ml bottle of Chateau Petrus Pomerol (2006). Online bids will be accepted up to and then as part of the silent auction that takes place during the Congé dinner event which begins with cocktails at 6 p.m. Saturday, April 26, at the Glen View Club, 100 Golf Road, Golf, IL. Silent auction bidding ends at 10 p.m.
For more information about Congé contact Woodlands Academy Associate Director of Advancement for Special Events Tami Rocha at 847-234-4300, ext. 226 or visit www.woodlandsacademy.org Woodlands Academy
"Local Girl Needs Help"
A little girl in our community needs help with medical expenses. Her name is Isabella Oliver. Please see her story at: www.gofundme.com/Isabellasjourney. "Give, and you will receive...The amount you give will determine the amount you get back." Luke 6:38. Friends of Isabella Oliver
- Vernon Hills High School students' shoe designs for the Custom Culture competition. Design by (left to right): Ann Ho, Kathleen McLoughlin, Tiffany Do, and Olivia Weaver. Vote for their designs at http://www.vans.com/customculture/vote/top50/ Allison Molloy
- M. Curtis Whittington, a veteran waiting for a heart transplant, drove away in a recycled car Feb. 12 after being nominated by Tim Heiney, a case manager with Lake-McHenry Veterans and Family Services (LMVFS). The car was presented to the Whittington family at the 4th Annual Gifting of a Recycled Ride by CARSTAR Mundelein and their sponsors Esurance, 1-800-Charity Cars, Cottman Transmissions & Total Auto Care, Jack Phelan Dodge, MOPAR, Recycled Rides, Stafford’s, Keystone/LKQ, Atlas Car Wash, NABC, AutoZone, NTB, and St. Vincent de Paul. A reception was held for the gifting where local businesses and restaurants donated food and services. This is the second LMVFS client who has received a car through this annual program. The Lake-McHenry Veterans and Family Services program works through a network of agencies to help military personnel, veterans and their families face challenges, before, during and after their service to this country without eligibility restrictions. LMVFS is also a member of Illinois Joining Forces, an initiative formed to insure community level, military-culture sensitive support and services statewide. LMVFS is located at the Lake County Health Department, 121 E. Grand Avenue in Lake Villa, and has additional offices in Waukegan and McHenry. For more information, call: (847) 377-VET6 (8386). Lake County Health Department
- Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart Debate Team members Elena Gutierrez of Waukegan (left) and Arminda Downey-Mavromatis of Gurnee, both sophomores, finished the season by receiving awards at the Illinois Communication and Theatre Association (ICTA) State Tournament held March 15 at Belvidere North High School in Belvidere, Ill. Gutierrez was the top seed (out of a field of 41) in the playoff rounds after achieving an 8-1 record in the preliminary rounds. She ended the tournament as a quarterfinalist. Downey-Mavromatis earned the 6th place speaker award. Kyle Schmitt, coach of the Lake Forest school’s newly revived Debate Team, is proud of its achievements this year. “We are liked and respected newcomers in the northern Illinois debate circuit,” he said following the state meet. Woodlands Academy
- Artwork by Woodlands Academy junior Erika Cerillo of Waukegan is among those featured at the Deer Path Art League Emerging Artists show in Lake Forest now through March 28. This is one of three exhibits in which artwork by several Woodlands Academy students is on display this month. The other shows are at the Lake Forest Library and the University of St. Francis School of Creative Arts in Fort Wayne, Ind. Woodlands Academy
Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart students Elizabeth (left) and Laura Bartusiak of Lake Forest were among the volunteers who packed meals at Feed My Starving Children in Libertyville recently. In all, nearly 30 girls from the Lake Forest school helped out Jan. 17 at the Libertyville site, 742 E. Park Ave. Volunteers that afternoon packed 142 boxes which represented 30,672 meals. This amount of meals translates to enough nourishment to feed 84 kids for an entire year.
Woodlands Academy requires each student to do at least 70 hours of community service prior to graduation. Many students, though, are passionate about helping others and perform significantly more hours. Woodlands Academy
More Riverwoods News
- Riverwoods Sports
- Fox Lake to honor ex-Grant wrestling star, Olympian Daniel Dennis
- Riverwoods Business
- CLC forges link to business recruitment organization
- Discover profit beats analyst estimates
- Veteran/military job fair in North Chicago this week
- CLC to host business idea contest
- Riverwoods Entertainment
- CLC wants summer musical performers
- Real ‘Mona Lisa’ was wealthy Italian’s wife
- Lake County’s Women’s Residential Services program celebrates 30 years
Points of Interest
- Toggle map points:
- Community Colleges
Daily Herald Communities
- 42.171075, -87.895943
- Lake County