Communities » Riverwoods Area News
Zion man charged in crash that killed Hainesville womanA Zion man has been charged with multiple counts of aggravated driving under the influence for a May accident that resulted in the death of a Hainesville woman.Last Updated Aug 24, 2016 4:22 PM
Lake County Sheriff seeks deputiesPosted Aug 24, 2016 1:00 AM
The Lake County Sheriff’s Merit Commission is accepting applications for the position of deputy sheriff.
Learn about hummingbirdsUpdated Aug 21, 2016 4:39 PM
Learn about hummingbirds during a presentation by ornithologist Vernon Kleen from 1 to 2:30 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 28, at the Volo Bog State Natural Area, 28478 W. Brandenberg Road, Ingleside.
Lake County assessors clash over property value hikesPosted Aug 20, 2016 7:22 AM
Cuba Township Assessor Rebecca Tonigan says her work to keep down property values has been “undermined” by an appointed Lake County official.
Computer expert testifies about X-ray evidence in Calusinski hearingUpdated Aug 19, 2016 6:25 PM
A computer expert testified Friday during a new trial hearing for a woman convicted of killing a toddler at a day-care that the creation date of an X-ray of the victim’s head shows it is not new evidence, as defense attorneys have claimed.
Live4Lali to host drug abuse panel in Arlington HeightsUpdated Aug 19, 2016 3:53 PM
The Arlington Heights-based anti-heroin nonprofit Live4Lali will continue its “From Use to Abuse: Drugs in Our Community” panel discussion series with an event at 7 p.m. Wednesday at the Buffalo Grove Park District Community Arts Center, 225 McHenry Road.
Third charging station installed at Lake County courthouseUpdated Aug 19, 2016 3:42 PM
Lake County has installed an electric vehicle charging station at the Lake County Court and Administrative Complex, 18 N. County St., in downtown Waukegan.
Recently shared by others
- Month-long Roadside Safety Check in West Chicago
- COD President Dr. Ann Rondeau Keynotes Veterans Day at Illinois State Fair
- College of DuPage Celebrates Investiture of President Dr. Ann Rondeau
- College of DuPage Board Approves Participation in CAREER Consortium
- College of DuPage to Host ‘Writing on the Edge’ Conference Sept. 24
- Chaparral Football Preps for 2016-2017 Season, Special Recognition Games
- Brushwood Center to host young birders symposium
- COD Engineering Club Honored by Congressman Peter Roskam for NASA Robotics Competition Entry
- COD Offers Physical Security and Asset Protection Class Sept. 22
- World Lutheran Deaf Outreach to offer workshop in East Dundee
- Nearly 100 fourth-through-seventh-grade students from St. Malachy School in Chicago visited Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart in Lake Forest Feb. 7 for a day of events including an uplifting gospel liturgy, pizza lunch, talent show and a carnival. This celebration marked the latest chapter in a Black History Month tradition between the inner-city grade school and the North Shore high school dating back to 1996. Pictured here, students from both schools joined the combined choirs at the conclusion of the gospel liturgy to sing “We Shall Overcome” in honor of Pete Seeger, who passed away Jan. 27. Woodlands Academy
It’s countdown time for Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart’s 41st annual financial aid fundraiser, Congé. Modeling this year’s theme colors are (from left) Co-Chair Mary Oelerich of Chicago, Silent Auction Chair Alison Kohlmeyer of Lake Forest and Co-Chair Jean Olson of Evanston. The fundraising starts at 9 a.m. Friday, April 11, with online bidding at www.bidpal.net/Congé for a variety of exciting silent auction items such as four VIP tickets to a Los Angeles taping of Conan O’Brien’s TBS TV show, a Chicago Blackhawks hockey stick signed by members of the 2013-14 team and for wine enthusiasts, a 750ml bottle of Chateau Petrus Pomerol (2006). Online bids will be accepted up to and then as part of the silent auction that takes place during the Congé dinner event which begins with cocktails at 6 p.m. Saturday, April 26, at the Glen View Club, 100 Golf Road, Golf, IL. Silent auction bidding ends at 10 p.m.
For more information about Congé contact Woodlands Academy Associate Director of Advancement for Special Events Tami Rocha at 847-234-4300, ext. 226 or visit www.woodlandsacademy.org Woodlands Academy
"Local Girl Needs Help"
A little girl in our community needs help with medical expenses. Her name is Isabella Oliver. Please see her story at: www.gofundme.com/Isabellasjourney. "Give, and you will receive...The amount you give will determine the amount you get back." Luke 6:38. Friends of Isabella Oliver
- Vernon Hills High School students' shoe designs for the Custom Culture competition. Design by (left to right): Ann Ho, Kathleen McLoughlin, Tiffany Do, and Olivia Weaver. Vote for their designs at http://www.vans.com/customculture/vote/top50/ Allison Molloy
- M. Curtis Whittington, a veteran waiting for a heart transplant, drove away in a recycled car Feb. 12 after being nominated by Tim Heiney, a case manager with Lake-McHenry Veterans and Family Services (LMVFS). The car was presented to the Whittington family at the 4th Annual Gifting of a Recycled Ride by CARSTAR Mundelein and their sponsors Esurance, 1-800-Charity Cars, Cottman Transmissions & Total Auto Care, Jack Phelan Dodge, MOPAR, Recycled Rides, Stafford’s, Keystone/LKQ, Atlas Car Wash, NABC, AutoZone, NTB, and St. Vincent de Paul. A reception was held for the gifting where local businesses and restaurants donated food and services. This is the second LMVFS client who has received a car through this annual program. The Lake-McHenry Veterans and Family Services program works through a network of agencies to help military personnel, veterans and their families face challenges, before, during and after their service to this country without eligibility restrictions. LMVFS is also a member of Illinois Joining Forces, an initiative formed to insure community level, military-culture sensitive support and services statewide. LMVFS is located at the Lake County Health Department, 121 E. Grand Avenue in Lake Villa, and has additional offices in Waukegan and McHenry. For more information, call: (847) 377-VET6 (8386). Lake County Health Department
- Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart Debate Team members Elena Gutierrez of Waukegan (left) and Arminda Downey-Mavromatis of Gurnee, both sophomores, finished the season by receiving awards at the Illinois Communication and Theatre Association (ICTA) State Tournament held March 15 at Belvidere North High School in Belvidere, Ill. Gutierrez was the top seed (out of a field of 41) in the playoff rounds after achieving an 8-1 record in the preliminary rounds. She ended the tournament as a quarterfinalist. Downey-Mavromatis earned the 6th place speaker award. Kyle Schmitt, coach of the Lake Forest school’s newly revived Debate Team, is proud of its achievements this year. “We are liked and respected newcomers in the northern Illinois debate circuit,” he said following the state meet. Woodlands Academy
- Artwork by Woodlands Academy junior Erika Cerillo of Waukegan is among those featured at the Deer Path Art League Emerging Artists show in Lake Forest now through March 28. This is one of three exhibits in which artwork by several Woodlands Academy students is on display this month. The other shows are at the Lake Forest Library and the University of St. Francis School of Creative Arts in Fort Wayne, Ind. Woodlands Academy
Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart students Elizabeth (left) and Laura Bartusiak of Lake Forest were among the volunteers who packed meals at Feed My Starving Children in Libertyville recently. In all, nearly 30 girls from the Lake Forest school helped out Jan. 17 at the Libertyville site, 742 E. Park Ave. Volunteers that afternoon packed 142 boxes which represented 30,672 meals. This amount of meals translates to enough nourishment to feed 84 kids for an entire year.
Woodlands Academy requires each student to do at least 70 hours of community service prior to graduation. Many students, though, are passionate about helping others and perform significantly more hours. Woodlands Academy
More Riverwoods News
- Riverwoods Business
- Discover Card ranked high by J.D. Power
- Riverwoods Entertainment
- Learn about hummingbirds
- United Way of Lake County seeks literacy tutors
- Lake forest preserves issue Des Plaines River Trail challenge
- Kids learn about veggies in ‘Fresh from the Garden’ program
Points of Interest
- Toggle map points:
- Community Colleges
Daily Herald Communities
- 42.171075, -87.895943
- Lake County