Communities » Fox Lake Area News
Community colleges say they’re forced to rely more on federal grantsElgin Community College President David Sam says with state funding for higher education in a flux, community colleges are relying more on federal grants than ever before.Last Updated Sep 26, 2016 4:27 PM
Dold slams Iran nuke deal, Schneider says enforce itPosted Sep 26, 2016 5:30 AM
Republican U.S. Rep. Bob Dold calls the United States’ nuclear agreement with Iran “a historic mistake.” His Democratic challenger, Brad Schneider, doesn’t like the deal either but says it must be enforced.
CPA takes on 2-term incumbent for Round Lake-area county board seatUpdated Sep 26, 2016 4:59 PM
Candidates for the Lake County Board’s 16th district seat agree taxes are on voters’ minds, but they suggest different approaches to deal with them.
Lake County celebrates its rural roots at Farm Heritage FestivalUpdated Sep 26, 2016 12:18 PM
Lake County celebrates its rural roots this weekend during the 24th annual Farm Heritage Festival at Lakewood Forest Preserve near Wauconda.
Grand Avenue to close in Lake VillaUpdated Sep 23, 2016 5:46 PM
Grand Avenue (Route 132) will be fully closed at the Canadian National Railroad in Lake Villa, for a week, weather permitting, beginning Monday, Sept. 26 to repair the grade crossing.
300 students participate in Stanton School service projectUpdated Sep 23, 2016 4:03 PM
Hundreds of Stanton School students in Fox Lake rolled up their sleeves and participated in the annual Day of Service on Friday.
Libertyville mosque open house will answer your questionsPosted Sep 23, 2016 5:30 AM
Islamic Foundation North in Libertyville is hosting a mosque open house to share information and answer questions
Drug disposal kiosks openedUpdated Sep 21, 2016 5:53 PM
Local and elected leaders on Wednesday joined Walgreens to launch a program to fight prescription drug abuse in Lake County.
Fox Valley police reportsUpdated Sep 21, 2016 3:34 PM
Casandra Cook, 34, of Elgin, was charged Sunday with driving under the influence, disobeying a traffic control device and operating an uninsured vehicle, according to West Dundee police.
- Judge agrees to do-over for Gliniewicz ruling
- Auction of former Gliniewicz tribute car nets nearly $19,000 for late Huntley cop’s family
- Challenger vows to change culture of state’s attorneys office
- Available technology an issue in race for clerk of circuit court
- 10th annual solar tour
- Chief judge guest at fireside chat
- Newcomer faces veteran in Lake County Board race
- Lake County project lists online
Fox Lake Calendar
Recently shared by others
- Oct. 6: CLC offers free screenings for National Depression Screening Day
- CLC adds the University of Iowa to its guaranteed transfer admission program
- Oct. 20: CLC hosts Illinois Regional College Fair
- Oct. 20: Two award-winning slam poets to perform at CLC
- COD to Host Natural Resources Symposium Oct. 27
- Ninety-Eight Years and Counting
- North Park University Celebrates 125 Years of Quality Academics, Faith and Diversity
- Falconaires Orchestra will wow audience with an Oct. 9 latin-inspired concert
- Coaster Challenge this weekend to benefit athletes of Special Olympics Illinois
- Prince of Peace Catholic School Opens Its Annual Gala to the Community
- Nearly 100 fourth-through-seventh-grade students from St. Malachy School in Chicago visited Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart in Lake Forest Feb. 7 for a day of events including an uplifting gospel liturgy, pizza lunch, talent show and a carnival. This celebration marked the latest chapter in a Black History Month tradition between the inner-city grade school and the North Shore high school dating back to 1996. Pictured here, students from both schools joined the combined choirs at the conclusion of the gospel liturgy to sing “We Shall Overcome” in honor of Pete Seeger, who passed away Jan. 27. Woodlands Academy
It’s countdown time for Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart’s 41st annual financial aid fundraiser, Congé. Modeling this year’s theme colors are (from left) Co-Chair Mary Oelerich of Chicago, Silent Auction Chair Alison Kohlmeyer of Lake Forest and Co-Chair Jean Olson of Evanston. The fundraising starts at 9 a.m. Friday, April 11, with online bidding at www.bidpal.net/Congé for a variety of exciting silent auction items such as four VIP tickets to a Los Angeles taping of Conan O’Brien’s TBS TV show, a Chicago Blackhawks hockey stick signed by members of the 2013-14 team and for wine enthusiasts, a 750ml bottle of Chateau Petrus Pomerol (2006). Online bids will be accepted up to and then as part of the silent auction that takes place during the Congé dinner event which begins with cocktails at 6 p.m. Saturday, April 26, at the Glen View Club, 100 Golf Road, Golf, IL. Silent auction bidding ends at 10 p.m.
For more information about Congé contact Woodlands Academy Associate Director of Advancement for Special Events Tami Rocha at 847-234-4300, ext. 226 or visit www.woodlandsacademy.org Woodlands Academy
- Eagles and their eaglets on Fox Lake Tom Chamberlain
- Enjoy a beautiful trail run during the JCYS 5K Run/Walk in support of Camp Red Leaf, an overnight camping experience for youth and adults with developmental disabilities, emotional and behavioral needs. Runners will gather on Sunday, September 21 at 10 am at 26710 W. Nippersink Road in Ingleside, IL and run past the fully-accessible summer camp that includes a tree house; high and low ropes course, and zip line; lake front and pool; and year-round lodging. Registration is $35/runner and $10 for kids 12 and under. More information at www.jcys.org/5K. JCYS Camp Red Leaf
- 28 Mixed Media pieces by Peggy Gannon will be displayed at the Starline Gallery in Harvard April 25 from 6-9 p.m. Peggy Gannon
- An American White Pelican chases a seagull with the catch of the day from Pistakee Lake. Tim Rennels
- Many pelicans seen on Fox River this weekend Diana Snarski
- Many pelicans were on the Fox River in Fox Lake this past weekend. Diana Snarski
- An American White Pelican cruises on the open water of Pistakee Lake Tim Rennels
- M. Curtis Whittington, a veteran waiting for a heart transplant, drove away in a recycled car Feb. 12 after being nominated by Tim Heiney, a case manager with Lake-McHenry Veterans and Family Services (LMVFS). The car was presented to the Whittington family at the 4th Annual Gifting of a Recycled Ride by CARSTAR Mundelein and their sponsors Esurance, 1-800-Charity Cars, Cottman Transmissions & Total Auto Care, Jack Phelan Dodge, MOPAR, Recycled Rides, Stafford’s, Keystone/LKQ, Atlas Car Wash, NABC, AutoZone, NTB, and St. Vincent de Paul. A reception was held for the gifting where local businesses and restaurants donated food and services. This is the second LMVFS client who has received a car through this annual program. The Lake-McHenry Veterans and Family Services program works through a network of agencies to help military personnel, veterans and their families face challenges, before, during and after their service to this country without eligibility restrictions. LMVFS is also a member of Illinois Joining Forces, an initiative formed to insure community level, military-culture sensitive support and services statewide. LMVFS is located at the Lake County Health Department, 121 E. Grand Avenue in Lake Villa, and has additional offices in Waukegan and McHenry. For more information, call: (847) 377-VET6 (8386). Lake County Health Department
"What's the matter fishie?"
Kayleigh Troyan ready to kiss and release her bass at the Spring Grove Bass Hatchery. Photo taken Sunday, May 19, 2013. Brittany Clark
- Artwork by Woodlands Academy junior Erika Cerillo of Waukegan is among those featured at the Deer Path Art League Emerging Artists show in Lake Forest now through March 28. This is one of three exhibits in which artwork by several Woodlands Academy students is on display this month. The other shows are at the Lake Forest Library and the University of St. Francis School of Creative Arts in Fort Wayne, Ind. Woodlands Academy
More Fox Lake News
- Fox Lake Business
- Agreement could rekindle long-awaited Cornerstone plan in Grayslake
- Fox Lake Entertainment
- 300 students work in Fox Lake school service project
- Libertyville mosque open house will answer your questions
- CLC celebrates new home for bees on campus
- Senior cable show has dispensed knowledge, fun for 17 years
Points of Interest
- Toggle map points:
- Community Colleges
Who will win the American League Cy Young award?
|Chris Sale, CHW||43.8%|
|Rick Porcello, BOS||27.9%|
|J.A. Happ, TOR||10.0%|
|Cory Kluber, CLE||10.8%|
|Zach Britton, BAL||7.5%|
Daily Herald Communities
- The Heart of the Chain O' Lakes
- 42.40075, -88.176975
- Lake County