Communities » Fox Lake Area News
Constable: A year after Gliniewicz, Fox Lake enduresLast year, Fox Lake was preparing for the last hurrah of summer boating and fishing when a police officer shot dead put the Lake County town in the national spotlight. A hero’s funeral, a heartbreaking betrayal and a sickening scandal quickly followed. On the anniversary, the community looks back while moving on.Last Updated Aug 27, 2016 11:25 PM
Flash flood warning issued for suburbsUpdated Aug 29, 2016 4:34 PM
A flash flood warning has been issued for parts of the suburbs.
Safely dispose of drugs at Lake County police departmentsUpdated Aug 26, 2016 4:28 PM
As part of International Overdose Awareness Day, Aug. 31, local police departments are reminding residents there are prescription drug disposal boxes available in their towns.
Antioch residents face marijuana chargesUpdated Aug 26, 2016 1:05 PM
Two Antioch residence have been arrested and charged for growing marijuana plants in their attic, authorities said.
Cops and Crime: Don’t make the new Rosemont public safety officer angryUpdated Aug 26, 2016 9:31 AM
Rosemont has a new public safety officer, and he’s one cop you don’t want to get angry. Here’s how “The Incredible Hulk” Lou Ferrigno joined Rosemont’s public safety department.
Fox Lake pension board delays Gliniewicz hearingsUpdated Aug 25, 2016 5:35 PM
The Fox Lake pension board has agreed to delay pension hearings for the widow of Lt. Joe Gliniewicz until after her criminal case is completed.
Lake County Health Department to offer low-cost pet vaccinesUpdated Aug 25, 2016 4:37 PM
The Lake County Health Department/Community Health Center’s Animal Care and Control Program is offering a low-cost pet vaccination clinic Saturday, Sept. 10, 9 a.m. to noon, at the Grayslake Police Department, 10 S. Seymour Ave., Grayslake.
Waukegan man charged in Antioch-area overdose deathUpdated Aug 25, 2016 4:07 PM
As part of a two-month operation aimed at taking heroin off the streets, the Lake County sheriff’s office arrested a Waukegan resident for selling a 25-year-old man a fatal dose of the drug, police said in a news release.
Zion man charged in crash that killed Hainesville womanUpdated Aug 24, 2016 4:22 PM
A Zion man has been charged with multiple counts of aggravated driving under the influence for a May accident that resulted in the death of a Hainesville woman.
- Lake County Sheriff seeks deputies
- Woman on ‘last chance’ probation over prescription pills arrested in Elgin
- Images: What sounds do you hear when you look at pictures?
Fox Lake Calendar
Recently shared by others
- First phase of CLC construction projects comes online
- Northern Illinois post offices will close for Labor Day
- Woodlands Celebrates Seniors and Blesses Freshmen as Classes Resume
- Month-long Roadside Safety Check in West Chicago
- COD President Dr. Ann Rondeau Keynotes Veterans Day at Illinois State Fair
- College of DuPage Celebrates Investiture of President Dr. Ann Rondeau
- College of DuPage Board Approves Participation in CAREER Consortium
- New Miss Northern Suburbs Selected
- College of DuPage to Host ‘Writing on the Edge’ Conference Sept. 24
- Chaparral Football Preps for 2016-2017 Season, Special Recognition Games
- Nearly 100 fourth-through-seventh-grade students from St. Malachy School in Chicago visited Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart in Lake Forest Feb. 7 for a day of events including an uplifting gospel liturgy, pizza lunch, talent show and a carnival. This celebration marked the latest chapter in a Black History Month tradition between the inner-city grade school and the North Shore high school dating back to 1996. Pictured here, students from both schools joined the combined choirs at the conclusion of the gospel liturgy to sing “We Shall Overcome” in honor of Pete Seeger, who passed away Jan. 27. Woodlands Academy
It’s countdown time for Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart’s 41st annual financial aid fundraiser, Congé. Modeling this year’s theme colors are (from left) Co-Chair Mary Oelerich of Chicago, Silent Auction Chair Alison Kohlmeyer of Lake Forest and Co-Chair Jean Olson of Evanston. The fundraising starts at 9 a.m. Friday, April 11, with online bidding at www.bidpal.net/Congé for a variety of exciting silent auction items such as four VIP tickets to a Los Angeles taping of Conan O’Brien’s TBS TV show, a Chicago Blackhawks hockey stick signed by members of the 2013-14 team and for wine enthusiasts, a 750ml bottle of Chateau Petrus Pomerol (2006). Online bids will be accepted up to and then as part of the silent auction that takes place during the Congé dinner event which begins with cocktails at 6 p.m. Saturday, April 26, at the Glen View Club, 100 Golf Road, Golf, IL. Silent auction bidding ends at 10 p.m.
For more information about Congé contact Woodlands Academy Associate Director of Advancement for Special Events Tami Rocha at 847-234-4300, ext. 226 or visit www.woodlandsacademy.org Woodlands Academy
- Eagles and their eaglets on Fox Lake Tom Chamberlain
- Enjoy a beautiful trail run during the JCYS 5K Run/Walk in support of Camp Red Leaf, an overnight camping experience for youth and adults with developmental disabilities, emotional and behavioral needs. Runners will gather on Sunday, September 21 at 10 am at 26710 W. Nippersink Road in Ingleside, IL and run past the fully-accessible summer camp that includes a tree house; high and low ropes course, and zip line; lake front and pool; and year-round lodging. Registration is $35/runner and $10 for kids 12 and under. More information at www.jcys.org/5K. JCYS Camp Red Leaf
- 28 Mixed Media pieces by Peggy Gannon will be displayed at the Starline Gallery in Harvard April 25 from 6-9 p.m. Peggy Gannon
- An American White Pelican chases a seagull with the catch of the day from Pistakee Lake. Tim Rennels
- Many pelicans seen on Fox River this weekend Diana Snarski
- Many pelicans were on the Fox River in Fox Lake this past weekend. Diana Snarski
- An American White Pelican cruises on the open water of Pistakee Lake Tim Rennels
- M. Curtis Whittington, a veteran waiting for a heart transplant, drove away in a recycled car Feb. 12 after being nominated by Tim Heiney, a case manager with Lake-McHenry Veterans and Family Services (LMVFS). The car was presented to the Whittington family at the 4th Annual Gifting of a Recycled Ride by CARSTAR Mundelein and their sponsors Esurance, 1-800-Charity Cars, Cottman Transmissions & Total Auto Care, Jack Phelan Dodge, MOPAR, Recycled Rides, Stafford’s, Keystone/LKQ, Atlas Car Wash, NABC, AutoZone, NTB, and St. Vincent de Paul. A reception was held for the gifting where local businesses and restaurants donated food and services. This is the second LMVFS client who has received a car through this annual program. The Lake-McHenry Veterans and Family Services program works through a network of agencies to help military personnel, veterans and their families face challenges, before, during and after their service to this country without eligibility restrictions. LMVFS is also a member of Illinois Joining Forces, an initiative formed to insure community level, military-culture sensitive support and services statewide. LMVFS is located at the Lake County Health Department, 121 E. Grand Avenue in Lake Villa, and has additional offices in Waukegan and McHenry. For more information, call: (847) 377-VET6 (8386). Lake County Health Department
"What's the matter fishie?"
Kayleigh Troyan ready to kiss and release her bass at the Spring Grove Bass Hatchery. Photo taken Sunday, May 19, 2013. Brittany Clark
- Artwork by Woodlands Academy junior Erika Cerillo of Waukegan is among those featured at the Deer Path Art League Emerging Artists show in Lake Forest now through March 28. This is one of three exhibits in which artwork by several Woodlands Academy students is on display this month. The other shows are at the Lake Forest Library and the University of St. Francis School of Creative Arts in Fort Wayne, Ind. Woodlands Academy
More Fox Lake News
- Fox Lake Entertainment
- Lake County Health Department to offer low-cost pet vaccines
- Something old, something new at Fox Lake fest
- Learn about hummingbirds
- United Way of Lake County seeks literacy tutors
- Lake forest preserves issue Des Plaines River Trail challenge
- Kids learn about veggies in ‘Fresh from the Garden’ program
Points of Interest
- Toggle map points:
- Community Colleges
Daily Herald Communities
- The Heart of the Chain O' Lakes
- 42.40075, -88.176975
- Lake County