Communities » Wauconda Area News
Lake County celebrates its rural roots at Farm Heritage FestivalLake County celebrates its rural roots this weekend during the 24th annual Farm Heritage Festival at Lakewood Forest Preserve near Wauconda.Last Updated Sep 25, 2016 4:30 PM
Hawthorn Woods resident takes on Lake County Board chairmanPosted Sep 24, 2016 7:00 AM
Hawthorn Woods resident Gerri Songer, who said freight trains carrying crude oil prompted her first run for public office, is challenging veteran Republican Lake County Board member and chairman Aaron Lawlor in the 18th District.
The Wonderful World of Wauconda homecoming celebrationUpdated Sep 24, 2016 9:26 PM
Wauconda High School staff, students, alumni and the community enjoyed The Wonderful World of Wauconda homecoming events this weekend.
‘No threat’ after Wauconda High arrestUpdated Sep 23, 2016 8:24 PM
A Wauconda High School student was arrested Friday after sending a picture of a gun over social media, police said.
Grand Avenue to close in Lake VillaUpdated Sep 23, 2016 5:46 PM
Grand Avenue (Route 132) will be fully closed at the Canadian National Railroad in Lake Villa, for a week, weather permitting, beginning Monday, Sept. 26 to repair the grade crossing.
Libertyville mosque open house will answer your questionsPosted Sep 23, 2016 5:30 AM
Islamic Foundation North in Libertyville is hosting a mosque open house to share information and answer questions
Drug disposal kiosks openedUpdated Sep 21, 2016 5:53 PM
Local and elected leaders on Wednesday joined Walgreens to launch a program to fight prescription drug abuse in Lake County.
Judge agrees to do-over for Gliniewicz case rulingUpdated Sep 21, 2016 3:32 PM
A Lake County judge hit the reset button on the Melodie Gliniewicz theft case Wednesday, vacating a key ruling that preserved several of the charges against the Fox Lake police officer’s widow.
Petitions available for Dist. 118 school board electionUpdated Sep 20, 2016 6:29 PM
Nominating petitions are available for candidates interested in seeking four seats on Wauconda Unit District 118 school board in April 4, 2107 election.
- Challenger vows to change culture of state’s attorneys office
- Available technology an issue in race for clerk of circuit court
- Rules for backyard chickens proposed in Wauconda
- Eight injured in tollway crash in Gurnee
- Agreement could rekindle long-awaited Cornerstone plan in Grayslake
- Barrington man pleads guilty to child porn
- Newcomer vs. veteran for Lake County state senate seat
- Chief judge guest at fireside chat
- Lake County project lists online
Recently shared by others
- COD to Host Natural Resources Symposium Oct. 27
- North Park University Celebrates 125 Years of Quality Academics, Faith and Diversity
- Falconaires Orchestra will wow audience with an Oct. 9 latin-inspired concert
- Coaster Challenge this weekend to benefit athletes of Special Olympics Illinois
- Season Opener At Light The Lamp Brewery. Hockey? NO...LIVE COMEDY!
- COD to Host College Fair Oct. 18
- COD to Host Free Senior Citizen Advocate Services Workshop Oct. 20
- COD Financial Assistance Office Hosts ‘Life Happens’
- Female Volunteers Needed for Free Ultrasounds at College of DuPage
- Player pens book to keep memories alive
- Nearly 100 fourth-through-seventh-grade students from St. Malachy School in Chicago visited Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart in Lake Forest Feb. 7 for a day of events including an uplifting gospel liturgy, pizza lunch, talent show and a carnival. This celebration marked the latest chapter in a Black History Month tradition between the inner-city grade school and the North Shore high school dating back to 1996. Pictured here, students from both schools joined the combined choirs at the conclusion of the gospel liturgy to sing “We Shall Overcome” in honor of Pete Seeger, who passed away Jan. 27. Woodlands Academy
- Dr. Jerry Weber, president of the College of Lake County, gets a blue streak sprayed in his hair from Allison Brand, an elementary education major who volunteered at the 'Light it up Blue" Autism awareness event held April 2 at the college. College of Lake County
It’s countdown time for Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart’s 41st annual financial aid fundraiser, Congé. Modeling this year’s theme colors are (from left) Co-Chair Mary Oelerich of Chicago, Silent Auction Chair Alison Kohlmeyer of Lake Forest and Co-Chair Jean Olson of Evanston. The fundraising starts at 9 a.m. Friday, April 11, with online bidding at www.bidpal.net/Congé for a variety of exciting silent auction items such as four VIP tickets to a Los Angeles taping of Conan O’Brien’s TBS TV show, a Chicago Blackhawks hockey stick signed by members of the 2013-14 team and for wine enthusiasts, a 750ml bottle of Chateau Petrus Pomerol (2006). Online bids will be accepted up to and then as part of the silent auction that takes place during the Congé dinner event which begins with cocktails at 6 p.m. Saturday, April 26, at the Glen View Club, 100 Golf Road, Golf, IL. Silent auction bidding ends at 10 p.m.
For more information about Congé contact Woodlands Academy Associate Director of Advancement for Special Events Tami Rocha at 847-234-4300, ext. 226 or visit www.woodlandsacademy.org Woodlands Academy
- Face N Time rocked Middleton's on Main in Wauconda on Saturday night with an all-electric show. Next up: The Gambler, 1232 N. Green St., McHenry on May 16 at 9:30 p.m. Come on out! k gerdts
- Face N Time takes the stage at the annual Alpine Fest in Lake Zurich. k gerdts
- A controlled fire at a house in Volo, IL on the morning of Saturday, May 10 provided firefighters from several towns with a realistic training opportunity. Jake Hadden
- From left, Georgianna Powers, Ryan Jones, Yvonne Jones, Lauren Jones. This picture was taken at Community Park in Mundelein where MBSA is constructing a Red Monster home run fence in memory of Mike Jones with donations received from many, many supporters. Abby Nierman
NIGFB End of Season Tournament Winners
2012-13 Wauconda Junior Lady Bulldogs 8th Grade Friendship League Champs Jill Sutherland
- The Northern Illinois Scholarship Program girls help out at the Arthritis Walk as part of Team Delaney in Libertyville on April 25, 2015. From left, Alison Greissinger, Kara Pohlman, Allison Nelson Mary Nelson
- St. Francis de Sales students from the play, "The Little Mermaid." Performances will be held at 7 p.m. May 17 and 18. Angela Mooney
- St. Mary of the Annunciation School in Mundelein held traditional May Crowning ceremony today. The students participated in a ceremony to honor the Virgin Mary as the "Queen of May." Fifth graders placed a crown of flowers on the statue of Mary. Jean Simpson
- Fr. Ron Gollatz, crossing guard for the first day of school, welcomes families to Transfiguration Elementary School in Wauconda. Fr. Ron Gollatz assists Nathan Christiansen and his mom. Jean Simpson
- U9 Barrington Broncos Travel Team Spring Classic 2013 Champions: front row, James Ensign, TJ Swidorski, Ryan Anderson, Tommy Kondraros, Danny Sheedy; and back row, Justin Mirski, Logan Eisenbarth, Tristan Roney, Peter Maestranzi, and Brady Dern. Caroline Eisenbarth
- Vernon Hills High School students' shoe designs for the Custom Culture competition. Design by (left to right): Ann Ho, Kathleen McLoughlin, Tiffany Do, and Olivia Weaver. Vote for their designs at http://www.vans.com/customculture/vote/top50/ Allison Molloy
- M. Curtis Whittington, a veteran waiting for a heart transplant, drove away in a recycled car Feb. 12 after being nominated by Tim Heiney, a case manager with Lake-McHenry Veterans and Family Services (LMVFS). The car was presented to the Whittington family at the 4th Annual Gifting of a Recycled Ride by CARSTAR Mundelein and their sponsors Esurance, 1-800-Charity Cars, Cottman Transmissions & Total Auto Care, Jack Phelan Dodge, MOPAR, Recycled Rides, Stafford’s, Keystone/LKQ, Atlas Car Wash, NABC, AutoZone, NTB, and St. Vincent de Paul. A reception was held for the gifting where local businesses and restaurants donated food and services. This is the second LMVFS client who has received a car through this annual program. The Lake-McHenry Veterans and Family Services program works through a network of agencies to help military personnel, veterans and their families face challenges, before, during and after their service to this country without eligibility restrictions. LMVFS is also a member of Illinois Joining Forces, an initiative formed to insure community level, military-culture sensitive support and services statewide. LMVFS is located at the Lake County Health Department, 121 E. Grand Avenue in Lake Villa, and has additional offices in Waukegan and McHenry. For more information, call: (847) 377-VET6 (8386). Lake County Health Department
- Viking Wrestling team wins 1st place at the Wauconda Tournament 4th-place finishers: Danny Vargas, Trinate Jacobs, Ashauntee Scales, Kevin Brocksom, and Kelvin Cupay. 3rd place medalists were: Jamal Patterson, Jariston Clarke, and Jorge Rodriguez. 2nd place medalists were: Gino Ortiz, Christian Valadez, and Fabian Martinez. 1stplace champions were Marcelous Wroten, JT VanderVere, Jack Nudelman, Jacob Illescas, Israel Ramirez, and Eric Carter P. Nudelman
- The Wauconda Woman's Club initiated three new members at their April meeting on April 14th at the Wauconda Township Hall. Pictured from left to right: President, Carol Johnson, New Members, Ellen Sherwin, Mary Ann Sherwin, Sue Anderson and Past President, Louise Moore. The Wauconda Woman's Club is a volunteer organization dedicated to community improvement. Judie Zietlow
- Hike at Volo Bog with daughter home from college Teri Herchenbach
- Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart Debate Team members Elena Gutierrez of Waukegan (left) and Arminda Downey-Mavromatis of Gurnee, both sophomores, finished the season by receiving awards at the Illinois Communication and Theatre Association (ICTA) State Tournament held March 15 at Belvidere North High School in Belvidere, Ill. Gutierrez was the top seed (out of a field of 41) in the playoff rounds after achieving an 8-1 record in the preliminary rounds. She ended the tournament as a quarterfinalist. Downey-Mavromatis earned the 6th place speaker award. Kyle Schmitt, coach of the Lake Forest school’s newly revived Debate Team, is proud of its achievements this year. “We are liked and respected newcomers in the northern Illinois debate circuit,” he said following the state meet. Woodlands Academy
- Artwork by Woodlands Academy junior Erika Cerillo of Waukegan is among those featured at the Deer Path Art League Emerging Artists show in Lake Forest now through March 28. This is one of three exhibits in which artwork by several Woodlands Academy students is on display this month. The other shows are at the Lake Forest Library and the University of St. Francis School of Creative Arts in Fort Wayne, Ind. Woodlands Academy
More Wauconda News
- Wauconda Business
- Agreement could rekindle long-awaited Cornerstone plan in Grayslake
- Wauconda Entertainment
- Libertyville mosque open house will answer your questions
- CLC celebrates new home for bees on campus
- Senior cable show has dispensed knowledge, fun for 17 years
Points of Interest
- Toggle map points:
- Community Colleges
Who will win the American League Cy Young award?
|Chris Sale, CHW||43.8%|
|Rick Porcello, BOS||27.9%|
|J.A. Happ, TOR||10.0%|
|Cory Kluber, CLE||10.8%|
|Zach Britton, BAL||7.5%|
Daily Herald Communities
- Water Spirit Wonder
- 42.26691, -88.142657
- Lake County