Communities » Spring Grove Area News
As mosquito season begins, will Zika strike here?As summer approaches, will we get Zika virus in Illinois? That appears unlikely, but scientists continue to study mosquitoes.Last Updated May 2, 2016 9:35 AM
Meet the man who works on the tiniest trains in the worldUpdated May 2, 2016 7:03 AM
Model train hobbyist Brian Williams is known as the “pocket layout” guy to his peers because of his work with T scale electric trains, the smallest commercially produced trains in the world. “When you build a model of a locomotive, you learn something about it,” he says. “Sometimes you learn something about yourself, too, along the way.”
Mosquito tidbits: First wave will hit in mid-MayPosted May 2, 2016 5:45 AM
A relatively dry winter combined with late April warmth and rain doesn’t bode well for avoiding mosquito bites when the first wave of the pests hit the suburbs in mid-May, experts say.
One brother a protégé of Dennis Hastert, another a victimUpdated Apr 27, 2016 8:18 PM
Facing a potential term in federal prison, U.S. Speaker Dennis Hastert made one of his last attempts to trade on what was once an abundance of political influence by asking a powerful protégé for a letter of support. It backfired.
$22.7 million awarded in fatal I-294 crash caseUpdated Apr 26, 2016 6:37 PM
A $22.7 million judgment — believed to be the largest wrongful-death verdict in Cook County in the past decade — was awarded to the family of a 31-year-old Union man who was killed in a 2012 crash on I-294 near Roosevelt Road.
Former Motorola Harvard campus sells to Chinese firm for $9.3 millionUpdated Apr 26, 2016 5:30 PM
The former Motorola Inc. campus in Harvard has been sold for about $9.3 million to a Chinese company seeking to get various manufacturers into the United States, a Harvard official said Tuesday.
Spring Grove Calendar
Recently shared by others
- May 19: CLC Southlake Campus in Vernon Hills hosts Open House
- Summer Explore Camps offer K-12 youth hands-on learning at CLC
- ‘Taste of College’ brings Mundelein eighth grade students to CLC
- Remember the Repellent When You Go Outdoors
- State House honors local Olympian Daniel Dennis
- Pediatric Chaplains Network provides support for chaplains nationally
- Earth Day: 5 ways to be energy efficient from your couch
- Stanton School raises funds for Leukemia and Lymphoma Society
- Discover How To Sell Across The Generations - 4/27
- Women’s Residential Services celebrates 30th anniversary
- Cub Scout Pack 349 of Richmond held its annual Pinewood Derby recently at State Bank of the Lakes in Spring Grove. The Cub Scouts vied for fast times and cool designs for their homemade race cars. While watching the races, scouts enjoyed a dinner of Bacci's pizza with friends and family. Winners from this race will go on to the larger district race in Pecatonica, IL in April. It's never too late to join Cub Scouts!! Pack 349 meets at the Community Church in Richmond on the 3rd Friday of the month. Please contact Contact Dani McCallister at firstname.lastname@example.org Boys in the photo are: from left, Ethan Ford, Marcus Hemmelgarn. Photo credit: Brenda Eichelberg
- A controlled fire at a house in Volo, IL on the morning of Saturday, May 10 provided firefighters from several towns with a realistic training opportunity. Jake Hadden
"Local Girl Needs Help"
A little girl in our community needs help with medical expenses. Her name is Isabella Oliver. Please see her story at: www.gofundme.com/Isabellasjourney. "Give, and you will receive...The amount you give will determine the amount you get back." Luke 6:38. Friends of Isabella Oliver
- Spring Grove resident Art Peterson won an autographed Brandon Saad puck during a LifeSource promotion last month. Peterson was making his 46th blood donation (and is now just two pints away from his six gallon milestone). Every pint donated, LifeSource says, supports up to three lives. LifeSource
- M. Curtis Whittington, a veteran waiting for a heart transplant, drove away in a recycled car Feb. 12 after being nominated by Tim Heiney, a case manager with Lake-McHenry Veterans and Family Services (LMVFS). The car was presented to the Whittington family at the 4th Annual Gifting of a Recycled Ride by CARSTAR Mundelein and their sponsors Esurance, 1-800-Charity Cars, Cottman Transmissions & Total Auto Care, Jack Phelan Dodge, MOPAR, Recycled Rides, Stafford’s, Keystone/LKQ, Atlas Car Wash, NABC, AutoZone, NTB, and St. Vincent de Paul. A reception was held for the gifting where local businesses and restaurants donated food and services. This is the second LMVFS client who has received a car through this annual program. The Lake-McHenry Veterans and Family Services program works through a network of agencies to help military personnel, veterans and their families face challenges, before, during and after their service to this country without eligibility restrictions. LMVFS is also a member of Illinois Joining Forces, an initiative formed to insure community level, military-culture sensitive support and services statewide. LMVFS is located at the Lake County Health Department, 121 E. Grand Avenue in Lake Villa, and has additional offices in Waukegan and McHenry. For more information, call: (847) 377-VET6 (8386). Lake County Health Department
"What's the matter fishie?"
Kayleigh Troyan ready to kiss and release her bass at the Spring Grove Bass Hatchery. Photo taken Sunday, May 19, 2013. Brittany Clark
More Spring Grove News
- Spring Grove Business
- Former Motorola Harvard campus sells to Chinese firm for $9.3 million
- Spring Grove Entertainment
- As mosquito season begins, will Zika strike here?
- Meet the man who works on the tiniest trains in the world
- Heroes respond to a call at McHenry County Human Race
- District 300 Foundation to host sixth annual ‘Cultural Arts on the Fox’
Points of Interest
- Toggle map points:
- Community Colleges
- Kaneland High School
- 47W326 Keslinger Rd.
Maple Park, Il 60151-9720
- Richmond-Burton Community High School
- 8311 N. Route 31
P.O. Box 449
Richmond, Il 60071
Daily Herald Communities
- 42.451031, -88.242589