Communities » Island Lake Area News
Lake County Sheriff seeks deputiesThe Lake County Sheriff’s Merit Commission is accepting applications for the position of deputy sheriff.Last Updated Aug 23, 2016 5:08 PM
Low-profile veterans support group celebrates 20 yearsPosted Aug 22, 2016 6:00 AM
TLS Veterans in McHenry just might be the best kept secret among organizations reaching out to military families. Its leaders want to let the secret out.
Wauconda ice cream socialUpdated Aug 21, 2016 4:40 PM
The Wauconda Township Historical Society hosts its seconda annual ice cream social Sunday, Aug. 28, from 1 to 4 p.m. at the Andrew C. Cook House, 711 N. Main St., Wauconda.
Learn about hummingbirdsUpdated Aug 21, 2016 4:39 PM
Learn about hummingbirds during a presentation by ornithologist Vernon Kleen from 1 to 2:30 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 28, at the Volo Bog State Natural Area, 28478 W. Brandenberg Road, Ingleside.
Lake County assessors clash over property value hikesPosted Aug 20, 2016 7:22 AM
Cuba Township Assessor Rebecca Tonigan says her work to keep down property values has been “undermined” by an appointed Lake County official.
Computer expert testifies about X-ray evidence in Calusinski hearingUpdated Aug 19, 2016 6:25 PM
A computer expert testified Friday during a new trial hearing for a woman convicted of killing a toddler at a day-care that the creation date of an X-ray of the victim’s head shows it is not new evidence, as defense attorneys have claimed.
Live4Lali to host drug abuse panel in Arlington HeightsUpdated Aug 19, 2016 3:53 PM
The Arlington Heights-based anti-heroin nonprofit Live4Lali will continue its “From Use to Abuse: Drugs in Our Community” panel discussion series with an event at 7 p.m. Wednesday at the Buffalo Grove Park District Community Arts Center, 225 McHenry Road.
Suburban pilot ready to soar at Chicago Air and Water ShowUpdated Aug 19, 2016 6:59 AM
McHenry County biplane pilot Susan Dacy is proud to be a part of the 58th annual Chicago Air and Water Show. Also featured is the U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds plus the debut of the F-35 fighter jet.
Third charging station installed at Lake County courthouseUpdated Aug 19, 2016 3:42 PM
Lake County has installed an electric vehicle charging station at the Lake County Court and Administrative Complex, 18 N. County St., in downtown Waukegan.
- Coalition aims to merge three Round Lake-area towns into one
- Lake County to take next step in fight against heroin
- Lake County Judge upholds decision to remove Rudd from ballot
- United Way of Lake County seeks literacy tutors
- Traffic info at your fingertips
Island Lake Calendar
Recently shared by others
- Lake County Jail and Health Department Work Together to Break the Cycle of Addiction
- Low-cost Pet Vaccination Clinic Offered September 10 in Grayslake
- COD Engineering Club Honored by Congressman Peter Roskam for NASA Robotics Competition Entry
- COD Offers Physical Security and Asset Protection Class Sept. 22
- Island Lake Lions Club holds 58th annual Cornfest Aug. 21
- World Lutheran Deaf Outreach to offer workshop in East Dundee
- Illinois State Police issue back-to-school safety reminder
- College of DuPage Offers New Construction Management Certificate
- COD Accounting Class to Include QuickBooks Certification this Fall
- Walk To Remember & 5K Run For Hope 2016. Sun., Aug. 21st, at Independence Grove Forest Preserve, Libertyville, IL
- Sean Sullivan, owner of Culver's of Island Lake and McHenry, is presented with a certificate of recognition from LifeSource's Executive Director of Blood Services, Chad Douglas. Chicagoland Culver's restaurants hosted partnered "Give a Pint, Get a Pint" blood drives over the summer and received more than 1,000 donations for LifeSource. McKenzie Kramer
- Face N Time takes the stage at the annual Alpine Fest in Lake Zurich. k gerdts
- St. Francis de Sales students from the play, "The Little Mermaid." Performances will be held at 7 p.m. May 17 and 18. Angela Mooney
- Fr. Ron Gollatz, crossing guard for the first day of school, welcomes families to Transfiguration Elementary School in Wauconda. Fr. Ron Gollatz assists Nathan Christiansen and his mom. Jean Simpson
- M. Curtis Whittington, a veteran waiting for a heart transplant, drove away in a recycled car Feb. 12 after being nominated by Tim Heiney, a case manager with Lake-McHenry Veterans and Family Services (LMVFS). The car was presented to the Whittington family at the 4th Annual Gifting of a Recycled Ride by CARSTAR Mundelein and their sponsors Esurance, 1-800-Charity Cars, Cottman Transmissions & Total Auto Care, Jack Phelan Dodge, MOPAR, Recycled Rides, Stafford’s, Keystone/LKQ, Atlas Car Wash, NABC, AutoZone, NTB, and St. Vincent de Paul. A reception was held for the gifting where local businesses and restaurants donated food and services. This is the second LMVFS client who has received a car through this annual program. The Lake-McHenry Veterans and Family Services program works through a network of agencies to help military personnel, veterans and their families face challenges, before, during and after their service to this country without eligibility restrictions. LMVFS is also a member of Illinois Joining Forces, an initiative formed to insure community level, military-culture sensitive support and services statewide. LMVFS is located at the Lake County Health Department, 121 E. Grand Avenue in Lake Villa, and has additional offices in Waukegan and McHenry. For more information, call: (847) 377-VET6 (8386). Lake County Health Department
- The Wauconda Woman's Club initiated three new members at their April meeting on April 14th at the Wauconda Township Hall. Pictured from left to right: President, Carol Johnson, New Members, Ellen Sherwin, Mary Ann Sherwin, Sue Anderson and Past President, Louise Moore. The Wauconda Woman's Club is a volunteer organization dedicated to community improvement. Judie Zietlow
- I was a former Des Plaines resident and retired to Arizona in 2008. In Illinois I was a physical education teacher within the Chicago Public Schools for 34 years.....now I am employed as an Instructional Assistant within the Scottsdale School system. My new joy out here is hiking the many trails within the Sonoran McDowell Mountain Area. I came upon this Western Diamondback Rattlesnake during a hike a couple weeks ago....it was quite agitated but at least warned me with a very loud rattle! :) Gary Wojton
More Island Lake News
- Island Lake Entertainment
- Low-profile veterans support group celebrates 20 years
- Learn about hummingbirds
- Suburban pilot ready to soar at Chicago Air and Water Show
- United Way of Lake County seeks literacy tutors
- Lake forest preserves issue Des Plaines River Trail challenge
- Kids learn about veggies in ‘Fresh from the Garden’ program
- Veteran came back from ‘a very low place’
- TLS Veterans to host benefit concert Aug. 26
- Island Lake Opinion
- No roads named after this Walkup
Points of Interest
- Toggle map points:
- Community Colleges
Daily Herald Communities
- A Community of Friendly People
- 42.277691, -88.200747