Communities » Island Lake Area News
Lake County kids connect with natureChildren got a chance to play with nature indoors Thursday at the Greenbelt Cultural Center in North Chicago.Last Updated Feb 11, 2016 5:00 PM
McHenry County District 5 hopefuls have different paths to government efficiencyUpdated Feb 11, 2016 12:48 PM
Three candidates seeking the GOP nomination in the March 15 primary for the McHenry County Board District 5 have differing views on how each would improve governmental efficiency. Voters will chose two from among incumbent Michael Skala and challengers Joeseph Calomino and Andrew Snarski to advance to the November election.
Lake County judges to be sworn in Feb. 23Updated Feb 10, 2016 4:54 PM
Three Lake County judges are scheduled to be sworn in at a public ceremony Tuesday, Feb. 23.
Zion man accused of firing gun during gang fightUpdated Feb 10, 2016 12:07 PM
A Zion gang member faces multiple charges for firing a gun during a gang fight in January.
Lake County sheriff offers citizen police academyUpdated Feb 9, 2016 5:16 PM
The next Lake County Sheriff’s Office citizen police academy begins March 17, officials announced in a news release.
Lake County board says it supports government consolidationUpdated Feb 9, 2016 5:15 PM
The Lake County Board is supporting a change in state law that would give it authority to dissolve some units of local government and consolidate government functions.
Input sought on Lake County housing needsUpdated Feb 8, 2016 3:51 PM
The Lake County Housing and Community Development Commission is seeking input for its annual action plan, which in cooperation with Waukegan and North Chicago, guides how Lake County uses federal funds to address the county’s housing and community development needs, goals, outcomes and strategies.
Lake County Board Dist. 5 GOP hopefuls oppose tax hike to buy landUpdated Feb 10, 2016 11:19 AM
Voters should not be asked to replenish funds to buy more property for forest preserves, the three Republican candidates for the Lake County Board District 5 seat agree.
Wauconda Area Public Library celebrates ShakespeareUpdated Feb 6, 2016 6:40 PM
The Wauconda Area Public Library honored Shakespeare Saturday with songs of the Elizabethan Era. Nine students belonging to the Wauconda High School Madrigal singers, dressed in period clothing, kicked off the event with a brief performance.
- Extra Credit: Carol McKinny — Lake County Tech Campus
- Ten stories you may have missed this weekend
- Man shot in head at Lake County bowling alley
Island Lake Calendar
Recently shared by others
- Feb. 19: The Peking Acrobats 30th Anniversary Tour dazzles at CLC
- 100 delegates provide their voice to first McHenry County Conservation Congress
- Health Department Offers Reduced Water Testing Rates
- Celebrate Canned Food Month with Northern Illinois Food Bank
- Clean Cities Coalitions to host environmental conference
- Tom Cullerton: we cannot rest until heroin problem is eradicated
- CLC Trustees affirm commitment to Master Plan projects and student success initiatives amidst state budget crisis
- TMA applauds Rauner State of State message
- Tom Cullerton’s reaction to the State of the State address
- Tom Cullerton: Technology upgrades are key to government efficiency
- Sean Sullivan, owner of Culver's of Island Lake and McHenry, is presented with a certificate of recognition from LifeSource's Executive Director of Blood Services, Chad Douglas. Chicagoland Culver's restaurants hosted partnered "Give a Pint, Get a Pint" blood drives over the summer and received more than 1,000 donations for LifeSource. McKenzie Kramer
- Face N Time takes the stage at the annual Alpine Fest in Lake Zurich. k gerdts
- St. Francis de Sales students from the play, "The Little Mermaid." Performances will be held at 7 p.m. May 17 and 18. Angela Mooney
- Fr. Ron Gollatz, crossing guard for the first day of school, welcomes families to Transfiguration Elementary School in Wauconda. Fr. Ron Gollatz assists Nathan Christiansen and his mom. Jean Simpson
- M. Curtis Whittington, a veteran waiting for a heart transplant, drove away in a recycled car Feb. 12 after being nominated by Tim Heiney, a case manager with Lake-McHenry Veterans and Family Services (LMVFS). The car was presented to the Whittington family at the 4th Annual Gifting of a Recycled Ride by CARSTAR Mundelein and their sponsors Esurance, 1-800-Charity Cars, Cottman Transmissions & Total Auto Care, Jack Phelan Dodge, MOPAR, Recycled Rides, Stafford’s, Keystone/LKQ, Atlas Car Wash, NABC, AutoZone, NTB, and St. Vincent de Paul. A reception was held for the gifting where local businesses and restaurants donated food and services. This is the second LMVFS client who has received a car through this annual program. The Lake-McHenry Veterans and Family Services program works through a network of agencies to help military personnel, veterans and their families face challenges, before, during and after their service to this country without eligibility restrictions. LMVFS is also a member of Illinois Joining Forces, an initiative formed to insure community level, military-culture sensitive support and services statewide. LMVFS is located at the Lake County Health Department, 121 E. Grand Avenue in Lake Villa, and has additional offices in Waukegan and McHenry. For more information, call: (847) 377-VET6 (8386). Lake County Health Department
- The Wauconda Woman's Club initiated three new members at their April meeting on April 14th at the Wauconda Township Hall. Pictured from left to right: President, Carol Johnson, New Members, Ellen Sherwin, Mary Ann Sherwin, Sue Anderson and Past President, Louise Moore. The Wauconda Woman's Club is a volunteer organization dedicated to community improvement. Judie Zietlow
- I was a former Des Plaines resident and retired to Arizona in 2008. In Illinois I was a physical education teacher within the Chicago Public Schools for 34 years.....now I am employed as an Instructional Assistant within the Scottsdale School system. My new joy out here is hiking the many trails within the Sonoran McDowell Mountain Area. I came upon this Western Diamondback Rattlesnake during a hike a couple weeks ago....it was quite agitated but at least warned me with a very loud rattle! :) Gary Wojton
More Island Lake News
- Island Lake Business
- College of Lake County to host minority contractor meeting
- Why it's harder to get rid of your old TV
- MCC offers OSHA Electrical Safety courses
- Island Lake Opinion
- A thank-you to two sports legends
Points of Interest
- Toggle map points:
- Community Colleges
Daily Herald Communities
- A Community of Friendly People
- 42.277691, -88.200747