News | Santa gives reindeer a rest for trip to Schaumburg
A magical sleigh pulled by a team of reindeer works just fine for the long slog of delivering presents around the world on Christmas Eve, but when Santa needed to drop in for a quick visit with kids at Schaumburg Regional Airport, he needed a speedier and more modern means of flight.
Education | Waubonsie percussionist performs with national honor ensemblesDescribed as a "deep thinker" and an "advanced" musician, percussionist Meher Sethi from Waubonsie Valley High School in Aurora recently performed with two national honor ensembles.
Politics | Schneider facing challenge from the left for 10th House seatDemocratic U.S. Rep. Brad Schneider will face a primary challenge from a self-described Democratic Socialist in 2020.
Columns | Algonquin teen navigates LGBTQ world in 'Work in Progress'Landing a recurring role in Showtime's new series, "Work in Progress," gives 15-year-old Lauren Viteri insight and empathy for her castmates in the LGBTQ community.
Illinois | 'The whole place was on fire': One of three living USS Arizona survivors, an Illinoisan, recalls attack on Pearl HarborLooking for a job and a future, Ken Potts saw little hope in central Illinois. Born and raised in tiny Honey Bend, Potts found few career opportunities as the Great Depression continued to squeeze America. So, when he turned 18, he enlisted in the U.S. Navy. Potts found his naval assignment to his liking, as a coxswain stationed aboard the USS Arizona at Pearl Harbor, amid sunny skies and a picturesque ocean. But, that serenity -- as well as the Arizona -- suddenly exploded the morning of Dec. 7, 1941.
News | $100 for a 'beautiful inspiration for others'Today's recipient of a $100 bill through our Believe Project is Irene Markgraf of Schaumburg. Here is her story ...
Kane County | 'New blood' at Geneva Legion Post hungry to help othersJosh Engel served four years in the U.S. Marines as a logistical vehicle system operator, or, as he likes to say, a "heavy truck driver" from 2006 to 2010, including deployments in Iraq and Afghanistan. Now, helping others through volunteering at the American Legion Post 75 in Geneva is one way the 34-year-old Aurora native keeps his motor running.
News | Santa takes kids on commute from Lisle to 'North Pole'Santa Claus and his crew joined dozens of subruabn kids and their parents on a special "Polar Express"-themed train ride Sunday from Lisle to Chicago.
Music | Best bets: 'White Christmas' returns; Jane Lynch plays Batavia, Crystal Lake & ChicagoThe national tour of "Irving Berlin's White Christmas" returns to Chicago's Cadillac Palace Theatre, Jane Lynch and friends perform "A Swingin' Little Christmas" in Batavia, Crystal Lake and Chicago, and the Best Martini in the 'Burbs Mix-off returns to Schaumburg on Monday.
Crime | Elgin man faces multiple weapons chargesA 21-year-old Elgin man faces multiple felony weapons charges stemming from separate events spaced nearly a year apart.
Movies | 'Benson,' 'Star Trek' actor René Auberjonois has died at 79René Auberjonois, a prolific actor best known for his roles on the television shows "Benson" and "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" and his part in the 1970 film "M.A.S.H." playing Father Mulcahy, has died. He was 79.
Cook County | Prosecutors: Retired priest was asked if he was OK to drive before fatal hit-and-runA retired priest accused of a drunkenly running over a pair of parish teachers and driving off without providing help was asked if he was OK to drive shortly before leaving a staff holiday party earlier this week in Orland Park, Cook County prosecutors said at the Rev. Paul Burak's bail hearing Saturday.
- 3:20 AMNew Zealand police say number of missing people on tourist island hit by volcano in double digits
- 3:15 AMNew Zealand police confirm 5 dead in volcanic eruption
- 3:06 AMNorth Korea opens mountain spa, ski resort in tourism push
- 3:01 AMBig investors up call for governments to take climate action
- 2:55 AM1 dead, many more missing in eruption of New Zealand volcano
More Suburban News Find your community
- NewsVeterans and newcomers converge for annual Santa Run in Arlington Heights
- BartlettGold Star families get festive sendoff at O'Hare before Disney World trip
- Buffalo GroveBuffalo Grove OKs advertising signs outside new subdivision
- Des PlainesHorseback, trailer pilgrimage honors Our Lady of Guadalupe
- Elk Grove VillageMcDonald's near Elk Grove Village robbed, authorities say
- NewsCyclists dedicate repair station in Arlington Heights to memory of Jim Shoemaker
- ElginElgin police investigate 3rd shooting this week
- SchaumburgMan taken to hospital after Schaumburg crash
- WheatonWheaton's first female mayor remembered as fearless trailblazer
- BataviaBatavia considering adding Boardwalk Shops to summer downtown business
- NapervilleLazy Dog restaurant bringing 'opportunity to connect' to Naperville
- Prep WrestlingBarrington sweeps Grant's triple-dual
- 11:38 AMThe little gym with a big heart: how members rallied together to save FITT-RX
- 11:03 PM3 McHenry Co. 4-H members win awards, scholarship in statewide program
- 10:56 PMHoliday magic illuminates at Randall Oaks Zoo during WinterFest
- 10:50 PMGlen Ellyn Woman's Club celebrates their 125th holiday fundraiser
- 10:45 PMStay healthy for the holidays--get a flu vaccination
- 10:41 PMSuburbanites to climb tower in Fight For Air Climb Feb. 8
- 10:20 PMWinfield Woods fall coat drive a success
- 10:08 PMNaperville Park District and the Y co-host 2019 Community Christmas Luncheon Dec. 25
Inside Daily Herald