News | 'I was in a little bit of a tunnel vision': Lisle officer rescues boy from burning home
When Lisle police officer Bill Wise responded Tuesday night to a townhouse fire, the first thing he saw was a crowd of people.
News | 1 officer indicted in Breonna Taylor case; not for her deathA Kentucky grand jury brought no charges against Louisville police for the killing of Breonna Taylor during a drug raid gone wrong, with prosecutors saying Wednesday two officers who fired their weapons at the Black woman were justified in using force to protect themselves.
Columns | Rozner: Bears' Sayers remembered as the elite of the eliteOften forgotten in discussions of the greatest, Gale Sayers was remembered Wednesday as among the best of all time.
Education | Nine suburban districts started school in person. How are they faring against COVID-19?Nine suburban public school districts started the school year with in-person learning. Here's how they are faring with COVID-19.
News | Illinois COVID-19 death toll surpasses 8,500State health officials reported Wednesday that 22 more Illinois residents have died from COVID-19 and another 1,848 new cases of the disease have been diagnosed.
Crime | 'We have too many guns': Casten proposes national gun buyback programAlready an outspoken proponent of stricter gun control laws, U.S. Rep. Sean Casten of Downers Grove has voiced support for a national buyback program in the U.S.
News | After problems with energy supplier, Arlington Heights picks a different firmCiting "skeletons in the closet" and communication problems, Arlington Heights officials will flip the switch to a different green energy electric aggregation supplier once their one-year trial is done with a firm ordered to pay a $1 million settlement over deceptive sales tactics.
Lifestyle | Woodland Elementary teacher transforms bedroom into a remote classroomWoodland Elementary East second-grade teacher Claudine Mardehow is one of hundreds of Chicago area teachers adapting to teaching remotely, but her colleagues say she is thriving because of her hard work and dedication to her students.
Lake County | Opponent blasts Lake County Board incumbent Terry Wilke for 'questionable behavior'Despite criticisms of "double-dipping" by his opponent and calls from the Lake County Republican chairman to resign his seat for "bilking taxpayers," incumbent Terry Wilke said he will continue to fight for re-election to the Lake County Board on Nov. 3 and will seek another term this spring as Avon Towship supervisor.
News | Palatine store gets backlash for pro-police rally despite it not being involvedAn initial announcement that an upcoming pro-police rally would meet in the parking lot of a Palatine business prompted some backlash on social media, but the owners of the business and the shopping center were not involved in the plans, village officials said.
Dining | Dining: Lettuce Entertain You Restaurant Week, plus Buddy's Bites N Brews opens in SchaumburgLettuce Entertain You Restaurant Week kicks off Monday, Buddy's Bites N Brews is now open in Schaumburg, Itasca's Church Street Brewing Company hosts a four-day eighth anniversary bash, and Allgauer's in Northbrook sends off the warm weather with an End of Summer Party Saturday.
Lake County | Watch Durbin, Curran duel in U.S. Senate debatehe two major-party candidates for U.S. Senate from Illinois engaged in a joint Zoom interview with members of the editorial boards of the Daily Herald, Shaw Media and the Southern Illinois LOCAL Media Group.
Politics | Wheaton Republican lawmaker apologizes for 'clumsy and insensitive' remarks about opponentState Rep. Amy Grant attempted to defend her character a day after the release of audio recordings in which the Wheaton Republican can be heard referencing the race and sexual orientation of her Democratic opponent, Ken Mejia-Beal.
- 3:01 PMBlack attorney general chokes up during Taylor announcement
- 3:00 PMTrump, social media, right-wing news stir up antifa scares
- 3:00 PMLawyers eye neo-Nazi website founder's assets for $14M award
- 2:59 PMWave of massacres signals new chapter in Colombia's conflict
- 2:58 PMIllinois best in COVID-19 testing, Pritzker says
More Suburban News Find your community
- Lake CountyLake County state's attorney candidates clash over 'prosecutor accountability plan'
- NapervilleInaugural Art of Inclusion piece to be painted Saturday in Naperville
- Lake CountyLake County sheriff's office warns of impersonator scamming residents
- Cook CountyWatch Patlak, Wendt in feisty Board of Review debate
- PoliticsWatch Mussman, Pappas debate Kegarise, Lewis for Illinois House
- EducationAlgonquin's District 300 votes to keep grades 4 through 12 remote until January
- LibertyvilleDrive-through COVID-19 testing in Libertyville
- Kane CountyChallenger for Kane County auditor says incumbent Hunt's second job is too distracting
- EducationGlenbrook high schools aim to phase-in hybrid schedule starting Oct. 5
- Prep SportsBoys cross country: Neuqua's Dovalovsky, DGS' Neumann shine
- Prep SportsSoftball: Barrington's Albrecht chooses North Dakota
- Buffalo GroveBuffalo Grove will allow, but not endorse, trick-or-treating
- 12:58 PMAurora Catholic church to host mobile food pantry
- 12:10 PMSecond Baptist pastor to say farewell Sunday
- 11:19 AM'Party for the Preserves' in Cook County Sept. 26
- 10:30 AMStudent actors overcome virtual barriers to bring you 'The Emperor's New Clothes' this October
- 10:30 AMBravo Waukegan celebrates anniversary, launches online music library
- 9:31 AMShred your documents for free at event Sept. 26
- 9:27 AMSaint Viator opens expanded Counseling Center for students
- 8:43 AMPinstripes announces winners of its nationwide Hometown Heroes Campaign
Inside Daily Herald