News | Former Arlington Heights Mayor James T. Ryan, advocate for downtown growth, dies
James T. Ryan, the former Arlington Heights mayor who helped shape redevelopment of the village's downtown in the 1970s and 1980s -- which started it on a track to become what it is today -- has died. His tenure both as mayor and as a Cook County judge didn't come without controversy.
Transportation | At last, interchange at Route 47 and I-88 will let Sugar Grove drivers go eastNo more detouring is required to drive east on I-88 from Sugar Grove now that there's a new, improved interchange at Route 47.
Columns | Model trains in a tire shop? Palatine auto service center display delights fans of all agesJohn Busch III, manager of Busch Auto Service Center in Palatine, admits it: You don't expect to see a Christmas train display in the showroom of a Goodyear tire dealer. But that's the beauty of it. It catches customers by surprise, and what a delightful surprise it is.
Business Ledger | An equal share of legal pot: Entrepreneurs look to communities hurt by laws in the pastWhen Illinois begins accepting applications today from the general public to open recreational marijuana stores, Zuly Gomez and Alexander Perez hope they'll have an edge in getting licensed to open businesses in Elgin and Aurora. They are applying under a "social equity" component of legalization in the new state law that will provide opportunities to people and communities historically affected by marijuana criminalization.
Editorial | Editorial: Impeachment and questions of truthA Daily Herald editorial on Donald Trump and the case for impeachment: For the fourth time in the history of the republic, articles of impeachment have been introduced against the president of the United States.
Transportation | Pedestrian killed by Metra train in Arlington HeightsA pedestrian was struck and killed by an inbound Metra train at the station at Arlington Park this morning.
Politics | Objections filed against two dozen suburban candidatesAbout two dozen candidates from the suburbs are facing challenges to their candidacies as the objection period ended Monday.
Crime | Former Aurora principal guilty of violating mandated reporter lawThe former principal at O'Donnell Elementary School in Aurora was found guilty Tuesday of violating the mandated reporter law after a parent complained his stepson was abused by a social worker in spring 2018.
Crime | Waukegan man accused of locking daughter in basement to again undergo mental health treatmentRandy Swopes -- the Waukegan man accused of locking his daughter in a basement because he believed she was demonically possessed -- will be sent to a mental health facility in Elgin after being ruled unfit to stand trial.
Crime | Zion elementary principal placed on leave after sex crime chargesA Zion elementary school principal is facing charges he sexually assaulted a student at a school he worked at in Kenosha, Wisconsin, a decade ago.
News | Bears' Amukamara takes new kind of 'Polar Plunge' for Make-A-WishChicago Bears cornerback Prince Amukamara made a special appearance Tuesday at Great Wolf Lodge in Gurnee to launch the resort's annual Snowland celebration and help make wishes come true for seriously ill kids.
News | Believe Project: $100 to help a friend who puts everyone before herselfToday's recipient of a $100 bill through our Believe Project is Diane Purpura of Bartlett. Here is her story ...
Business | Pelosi announces agreement on North American trade pactHouse Speaker Nancy Pelosi on Tuesday announced agreement on a modified North American trade pact, handing President Donald Trump a major Capitol Hill win on the very same day that Democrats announced their impeachment charges against him.
- 4:27 AMVolcanoes an ever-present, if usually distant danger
- 4:15 AMSpain: Residents told to stay indoors as fire engulfs plant
- 3:45 AMSaudi Aramco starts trading, gaining 10% and reaching $1.8T
- 3:42 AMAfghan bomber hits medical facility near Bagram Air Base
- 2:44 AMRescuer describes horror of New Zealand's silent eruption
More Suburban News Find your community
- DuPage CountyDuPage County board seeking legal opinion on public comments after 'Mexican' remark
- Fox LakeFox Lake woman injured in rollover crash
- Elk Grove VillageOne injured in Elk Grove Village crash
- Hoffman EstatesHoffman Estates recommends incentive to spur growth at corners
- LincolnshireLincolnshire bans pot growers, recreational sales
- EducationDistrict 59 plan to borrow $39 million rankles residents
- Mount ProspectElk Grove's Murray nets 1,000th career point
- Boys' BasketballHome at last, Stevenson takes it to Libertyville
- Boys' BasketballMundelein remains undefeated; Round Lake wins again
- Boys' BasketballQuick start propels Fremd past Wheeling
- Boys' BasketballDefense, rebounding key for Prospect in win over Conant
- Boys' BasketballInspired Loomis leads Barrington past Elk Grove
- 10:43 PMAurora Methodists continue sermon series on 'B-list' Christmas characters
- 9:47 PMOperation North Pole to give a magical ride to very ill children and their families Dec. 14
- 7:27 PMTree of Life auction raises money for PADS permanent shelter site
- 6:17 PMDuPage County Health Dept. offers reminder about open enrollment deadline
- 2:17 PMVernon Hills bookstore announces 'Rockin' Out' weekend
- 2:13 PMCLC names Jesus Ruiz as dean of Lakeshore Campus
- 2:12 PMLocal businesses to host charity breakfast in honor of late colleague
- 1:23 PMPrivate film screening benefits Gurnee organization
Inside Daily Herald