Politics | Full House to vote on graduated income tax amendment
A constitutional amendment that would allow the state to impose higher tax rates on greater margins of income needs only a vote from the full Illinois House to be brought to voters.
Crime | Drug-induced homicide charges in death of St. Charles-area manAn Elgin man is held on $500,000 bail after being charged with providing a fatal dose of fentanyl-laced heroin to 25-year-old Trevor Brubaker, who was found in his St. Charles Township house April 4. Jose R. Charles faces six to 30 years in prison if convicted of drug-induced homicide and was on probation for a 2015 heroin case at the time of his most recent arrest.
News | Des Plaines turns to familiar name in suburban entertainment to operate historic theaterA familiar name in suburban Chicago show business could soon be taking over day-to-day operations of the Des Plaines Theatre.
News | How a forgotten piece of land became Naperville's next big community assetWhere most passers-by would see a forgotten piece of land overrun with weeds, 95th Street Library manager Karen Dunford saw potential.
Lake County | Suspect charged with murder in Round Lake Beach woman's email@example.com A 20-year-old Round Lake-area man has been charged with murder in the death of 48-year-old Mariana Castro-Tellez last week in Round Lake Beach, the Lake County sheriff's office said Monday.
Business | A bar for people who like to break things is coming to ElmhurstElmhurst will become home this fall to a bar designed for people who like to drink beer and break things. When Throw Nation opens at 630 W. Lake St. it will become the first "throw bar" in the Chicago area.
News | Motorcyclist dies in St. Charles crashA motorcylist died Monday evening after crashing on the 800 block of South Randall Road in St. Charles.
Crime | Police find fault with legal pot: How do you test drivers for it?Legalizing marijuana will add to the already difficult job of convicting stoned drivers, local law enforcement officials say. Driving high is a reality now, supporters counter, and the proposed law will reduce crime.
Lake County | Inverness boy remains hospitalized as investigation into hit-and-run continuesA 13-year-old Inverness boy severely injured in a weekend hit-and-run, then dropped off at his home by an unknown person remains hospitalized in serious but stable condition at Lurie Children's Hospital in Chicago.
News | Harvest Bible Chapel, former pastor in arbitration over ownership of TV ministryThe former senior pastor of Harvest Bible Chapel is pursuing binding arbitration in order to get a settlement on what he contends he is owed from the church he founded. One of the primary issues, according to the church, is whether James MacDonald or the church owns the "Walk In the Word" radio and television ministry.
Politics | Lightfoot promises 'reform is here' as she becomes Chicago's 56th mayorLori Lightfoot, who ran for Chicago's top job as a first-time reform candidate with few ties to the city's entrenched political structure, was sworn in as its 56th mayor Monday during a ceremony that noted her historic firsts.
Lake County | Man gets life in prison for deadly baseball bat attack on wife, stepsonCalling the brutal double murder "despicable" and "shocking," a Lake County judge on Monday sentenced a Beach Park man to life in prison for fatally beating his wife and stepson with a baseball bat in 2015.
- 2:04 AMF1 great and aviation entrepreneur Niki Lauda dies at 70
- 1:41 AMOfficial count shows Widodo reelected as Indonesian leader
- 1:38 AMAccused New Zealand mosque shooter charged with terrorism
- 1:33 AMVoters in Malawi go to polls to elect president, parliament
- 1:13 AM'3 strikes' sentencing reform leaves out Washington inmates
More Suburban News Find your community
- WaucondaRacist graffiti spray-painted on Wauconda playground equipment
- Buffalo GroveVernon Township, other agencies collecting school supplies for needy students
- NewsWheeling Township District 21 moving toward full-day kindergarten by 2020-21
- CrimeBoy to be charged after Instagram threat
- DuPage CountyDuPage panel to help promote upcoming census
- Mount ProspectTwo injured when street sweeper rolls in Mount Prospect
- Downers GroveDowners Grove police seeking help in solving April robbery
- LombardLombard teams clean chemicals from storm drain
- Prep SportsGirls track and field: Glenbard West's Hart goes the distance for triple crown
- EducationSmall fire closes school in Park Ridge for a day
- Prep SportsGirls track and field: It's back-to-back high jump titles for Wauconda's Daun
- ElginSt. Edward students decorate giant city snow plow
- 10:32 PMBatavia American Legion to host 'Salute to Service 5K' June 15
- 8:50 PMElgin Kiwanis Club wins fourth straight Trivia Bee championship
- 7:27 PMBatavia Mothers' Club Foundation names new officers for 2019-20
- 5:40 PMTree of Life UU Second Sunday Collection benefits CASA of McHenry County
- 2:40 PMWaubonsee president reflects on graduating class
- 1:28 PMGive Something Back Foundation selects seven West Aurora students for a full ride at NIU
- 12:42 PMPioneer Center's annual 'Moonlight & Music' returns June 7
- 12:22 PMAssociation for Individual Development to host Color Burst 5K Fun Run & Roll June 7
Through the Film Magnifier: Chicago Bulls, Flight 191 Crash, Rainbow Records, Ray Meyer, Slot Cars and more
Inside Daily Herald